Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Pacers Select Chris Duarte at #13 

Post#1 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:20 am

Per Woj and Shams.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Worthwhile to note that this was clearly telegraphed days in advance, and local and national reporters had it.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Re: Pacers Select Chris Duarte at #13 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:21 am

Carlisle's guy. I'd hate it but with 31 we can make me happy.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 715

Post#3 » by Pacers Forever » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:25 am

PPG
RPG
APG
3P%
42.4%
Chris Duarte is the oldest prospect in the draft but he is also one of the most NBA-ready prospects, too. Great size, great shooter, great defender -- and a great match on a Lakers team that could put him to work right away as they try and extend their championship window.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#4 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:25 am

I like him. Not the highest ceiling but should be a quality player with a long career.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#5 » by Pacers Forever » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:26 am

Very similar to Moses Moody so I’m cool
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#6 » by 8305 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:28 am

This pick is just plain dumb,if this our guy. We are 11 deep right now, don’t need immediate help. How do we pass on upside guys? Will Duarte get any run this year?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:29 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:36 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Post#9 » by JasonStern » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:38 am

Huge Ducks fan. Not sure how Chris fits into your lineup, but solid pick up! Probably doesn't have the ceiling as some of the other players in the draft, but he should be an NBA ready role player if given the chance.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,346

Post#10 » by Nuntius » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:52 am

I don't hate the player but I do hate the pick. Duarte is a role player who would be a great pick for a contending team. We aren't a contending team. We needed someone with the potential to be a star and Duarte is not that.

Picking Duarte over much younger guys with potential (Keon Johnson, Moses Moody, Jalen Johnson) is just plain stupid, especially when Moody for example is NBA-ready as well.

Just a wasted pick. These are the picks you make at #23, not at #13. I'm sad :(
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#11 » by Tom White » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:55 am

8305 wrote:don’t need immediate help.

We don't? Are you kidding me? We absolutely need immediate help, and we don't have FA's knocking at the door. Dear God man, how many more years do you want to spend losing in the first round or even a play-in game?
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Nuntius » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:05 am

Tom White wrote:

We don't? Are you kidding me? We absolutely need immediate help, and we don't have FA's knocking at the door. Dear God man, how many more years do you want to spend losing in the first round or even a play-in game?

Does it make a difference if we finish #10 or #7? Because that's how much Duarte could help. He is a role player, at a similar level with Justin Holiday. Not a bad player to have but definitely not what you waste your 13th pick on.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#13 » by Pacers Forever » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:05 am

Nuntius wrote:I don't hate the player but I do hate the pick. Duarte is a role player who would be a great pick for a contending team. We aren't a contending team. We needed someone with the potential to be a star and Duarte is not that.

Picking Duarte over much younger guys with potential (Keon Johnson, Moses Moody, Jalen Johnson) is just plain stupid, especially when Moody for example is NBA-ready as well.

You nailed the biggest gripe I see against Duarte his age. I wanted Moody but hopefully Duarte is an instant replacement for McDermott if he walks. Still doesn’t fill the need for a superstar that people want.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#14 » by 8305 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:06 am

Tom White wrote:

Look at our depth chart. By my calculation we are 11 deep before bringing back any free agents. We have Lamb, Sumner and Holiday backing up Warren and Levert. Where does this immediate help guy play?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:07 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:10 am

Nuntius wrote:I don't hate the player but I do hate the pick. Duarte is a role player who would be a great pick for a contending team. We aren't a contending team. We needed someone with the potential to be a star and Duarte is not that.

I’m coming around on Duarte. The man is 24, but he hasn’t been playing basketball terribly long. He’s developed a LOT in the last 2-3 years, and I think he’ll continue to develop quite a bit. I heard Tony East say on his podcast that most guys are valued as being drafted young because as they grow into their body, they’ll explode. Well, Duarte is kind of the inverse. He’s grown, but he still has a LOT of high level learning and teaching to receive, and his skills will likely only get better.
Pacercoltboiler
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#17 » by Pacercoltboiler » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:11 am

I love it. A two way player, tough. I'm not worried about his age, he will fit in well with LeVert and Sabonis. Tough kid from a tough conference. All he has to do is outplay Justin to get minutes. I was all in on Moody, but if you look at his highlights, it was tough. Not great film. Moody had great measureables, and I wanted to like him, but I wouldn't be surprised if Duarte outplays him.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Nuntius » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:12 am

Pacers Forever wrote:

You nailed the biggest gripe I see against Duarte his age. I wanted Moody but hopefully Duarte is an instant replacement for McDermott if he walks. Still doesn’t fill the need for a superstar that people want.

He'll probably be an instant replacement for Doug but that's not what you want out of the 13rd pick. Doug was what, our 7th or 8th guy in the rotation? You don't draft someone to replace your bench SF/PF. You want more value out of that pick and we just got very **** value.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#19 » by Tom White » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:14 am

8305 wrote:Look at our depth chart. By my calculation we are 11 deep before bringing back any free agents. We have Lamb, Sumner and Holiday backing up Warren and Levert. Where does this immediate help guy play?

I'm not talking about this specific player. I'm addressing your statement that we don't need immediately help. I think we need all the help we can get.

Now, I will say I don't necessarily think all those guys will be back. Plus, I'm looking at our injury history. I don't trust this roster to stay healthy.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Nuntius » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:16 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:

I’m coming around on Duarte. The man is 24, but he hasn’t been playing basketball terribly long. He’s developed a LOT in the last 2-3 years, and I think he’ll continue to develop quite a bit. I heard Tony East say on his podcast that most guys are valued as being drafted young because as they grow into their body, they’ll explode. Well, Duarte is kind of the inverse. He’s grown, but he still has a LOT of high level learning and teaching to receive, and his skills will likely only get better.

This is the first time I've heard of this "hasn't been playing basketball terribly long" part. How can this be possible, though? Based on what I've read, he played high school basketball which means that he has been playing at least for 8 years.

Even if that's true, his skills are already very polished. How much can he improve his skill level?
Mankind..."

- Agalloch

Return to Indiana Pacers