Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,266

Re: Shams: Pacers acquire Isaiah Jackson for Aaron and #31 

Post#21 » by Nuntius » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:47 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:So, ultimately, Aaron Holiday and 4 2nds for the #22 pick, Isaiah Jackson.

Alright, I'm on board of that. I do think that I'd pick Garuba or Thor over Jackson but it's good value at #22. He was picking up steam as a potential lotto pick. He got a Green Room invite after all.

So, that's good. The issue here is that Jackson is a Center and we already have Myles, Domas and Goga. That means that we're definitely not done yet. A move will happen before the season starts.

I love Garuba. But he’s in a weird middle ground. His buyout in Europe is HUGE. Much more than 1 year of his rookie salary (and at 23 or 24, it’s closer to 2 years). And oddly, it actually GROWS every year. There’s a real chance that he may have to wait out the entire buyout, which would also put him outside of the timeframe for the rookie scale salary. It’s a weird situation. Now, he could bite the bullet and come over and pay it now and live off loans from an agent for a couple years, but it’s tight.

I am pretty sure that it has always been the drafting teams who paid that buy-out. Am I wrong?

I am sure that Garuba comes over right away. Real just wanted to get paid for showcasing him.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Post#22 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:47 am

8305 wrote:Any chance this guy can play the 4?

Yes. He can guard the perimeter as a 4 right now. His lack of shooting range may push him into a bit of a small ball type 5, ultimately, but right now, he could play the 4. Could be a solid long-term pairing with Goga.

Really strikes me as insurance for a Myles trade, though. :dontknow:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:49 am

Nuntius wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Alright, I'm on board of that. I do think that I'd pick Garuba or Thor over Jackson but it's good value at #22. He was picking up steam as a potential lotto pick. He got a Green Room invite after all.

So, that's good. The issue here is that Jackson is a Center and we already have Myles, Domas and Goga. That means that we're definitely not done yet. A move will happen before the season starts.

I love Garuba. But he’s in a weird middle ground. His buyout in Europe is HUGE. Much more than 1 year of his rookie salary (and at 23 or 24, it’s closer to 2 years). And oddly, it actually GROWS every year. There’s a real chance that he may have to wait out the entire buyout, which would also put him outside of the timeframe for the rookie scale salary. It’s a weird situation. Now, he could bite the bullet and come over and pay it now and live off loans from an agent for a couple years, but it’s tight.

I am pretty sure that it has always been the drafting teams who paid that buy-out. Am I wrong?

I am sure that Garuba comes over right away. Real just wanted to get paid for showcasing him.

Nope. NBA team limited to contributing no more than $775k towards an international buyout in this draft class. Even with that, I think that he’d still owe more than 1 year of salary towards his buyout. If Real is willing to cut it by a ton, then it’s easy to see him come over. If they aren’t willing to negotiate, it’s real tough.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 710

Post#24 » by Pacers Forever » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:50 am

I’ve seen others ask that and let’s hope that’s their plan and why they selected him.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:53 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Nuntius » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:56 am

Moooose wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Moooose wrote:Getting two lottery talent guys who fit position-wise and already are solid role players. Aaron is and will be the odd man out and so the trade makes sense. Jackson will give the Pacers more significant minutes than Aaron would, with Duarte in the fold.

I don't see how Jackson fits position-wise. We already have too many Centers. I like the pick value-wise but it raises positional questions.

He plays 4 more than the 5. We only have Brissett behind Domas. He will take on Sampson's vacated role and push Brissett for playing time.

If he takes Sampson's role then that sucks. Sampson only played 29 games and wasn't a part of the regular rotation. I also don't see how you can play him next to Domas. He doesn't have outside touch, does he?
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#27 » by 8305 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:56 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:

Yes. He can guard the perimeter as a 4 right now. His lack of shooting range may push him into a bit of a small ball type 5, ultimately, but right now, he could play the 4. Could be a solid long-term pairing with Goga.

Really strikes me as insurance for a Myles trade, though. :dontknow:

You would think.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#28 » by Tom White » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:57 am

Scoot, you've got to be totally wearing out your Twitter machine tonight. Thanks for the effort.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Nuntius » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:57 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Nope. NBA team limited to contributing no more than $775k towards an international buyout in this draft class. Even with that, I think that he’d still owe more than 1 year of salary towards his buyout. If Real is willing to cut it by a ton, then it’s easy to see him come over. If they aren’t willing to negotiate, it’s real tough.

Huh, I had no idea. I am sure that Real is open to negotiate, though. Especially if Spain does well in the Olympics and Garuba plays a role in that.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#30 » by Moooose » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:06 am

Nuntius wrote:
Moooose wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
I don't see how Jackson fits position-wise. We already have too many Centers. I like the pick value-wise but it raises positional questions.

He plays 4 more than the 5. We only have Brissett behind Domas. He will take on Sampson's vacated role and push Brissett for playing time.

If he takes Sampson's role then that sucks. Sampson only played 29 games and wasn't a part of the regular rotation. I also don't see how you can play him next to Domas. He doesn't have outside touch, does he?

We employed Sampson for a reason before we got Brissett. But Brissett turned out to be the better fit, and so Sampson's role has diminished. I think he got injured a couple of times too. We got Sampson because of his energy, hustle, and his defensive potential more than his offense.

Jackson is limited offensively. But he can be that long athletic guy who can make up for Domas' lack of length and athleticism.

The Pacers traded a lot for him, for a reason, and so I think they know what they're doing better than anyone else.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:10 am

Nuntius wrote:
Moooose wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

Not yet. But, seems like Sabonis will be playing a lot more face up at the top of the lane and looking to distribute (as he did late in the year) instead of being more back to the basket in the lane on offense. With Jackson being such a runner and athletic guy, I think it could work.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Nuntius » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:19 am

Moooose wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Moooose wrote:

We employed Sampson for a reason before we got Brissett. But Brissett turned out to be the better fit, and so Sampson's role has diminished. I think he got injured a couple of times too. We got Sampson because of his energy, hustle, and his defensive potential more than his offense.

Jackson is limited offensively. But he can be that long athletic guy who can make up for Domas' lack of length and athleticism.

The Pacers traded a lot for him, for a reason, and so I think they know what they're doing better than anyone else.

Again, I'm fine with Jackson. All I said was that I expect him to play way more than Sampson who was barely a part of the rotation.

Also, picking Duarte at #13 doesn't give me a lot of confidence that they know what they're doing and you're talking to someone who has consistently defended KP all these years. It was THAT bad of a pick (Duarte, not Jackson) :lol:
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#33 » by Wizop » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:20 am

Nuntius wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

NBA only allows drafting team to pay 1mm dollars. His buyout is 3mm euros. He could be in Europe for 4 or 5 years.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Nuntius » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:20 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Moooose wrote:

Not yet. But, seems like Sabonis will be playing a lot more face up at the top of the lane and looking to distribute (as he did late in the year) instead of being more back to the basket in the lane on offense. With Jackson being such a runner and athletic guy, I think it could work.

We'll see. If we think that Domas+Myles doesn't work (which I don't believe to be accurate, by the way, I believe that they do work) then Domas+Jackson should be worse than that. We'll see how it all works out, though.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Nuntius » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:21 am

Wizop wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

NBA only allows drafting team to pay 1mm dollars. His buyout is 3mm euros. He could be in Europe for 4 or 5 years.

Sent from my phone.

Gotcha. He is definitely coming over right away, imo. They'll find a way.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:25 am

Nuntius wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

Sent from my phone.

Hope so. His buyout is 3m euros and actually rises 1m euros every year he stays. It’s a tough one, and a strong position for Real to be in. If they want to clear the roster spot and get some money asap, they could do something, but they could hold onto him and get a couple more years of play from him pretty easily.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by Nuntius » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:29 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
Wizop wrote:NBA only allows drafting team to pay 1mm dollars. His buyout is 3mm euros. He could be in Europe for 4 or 5 years.

Sent from my phone.

Hope so. His buyout is 3m euros and actually rises 1m euros every year he stays. It’s a tough one, and a strong position for Real to be in. If they want to clear the roster spot and get some money asap, they could do something, but they could hold onto him and get a couple more years of play from him pretty easily.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I don't think that they will keep him hostage. If Garuba wants to come over to the NBA, they'll find a way.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#38 » by Boneman2 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:28 am

The way Garuba's buyout is worded makes it seem like he could return to Europe for one more season. It's a viable option for both he or the Rockets but considering the Rockets have cap space they might as well bite the bullet now. Are buyouts negotiable or firm?
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 710

Post#39 » by Pacers Forever » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:19 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Good we might need some more $$$$ to squeeze McConnell back in.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,271

Post#40 » by boomershadow » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:10 am

As a Holiday believer, this is slightly bittersweet for me. I hope he gets playing time and does well.

Return to Indiana Pacers