ImageImageImageImageImage

"Not IT?": Isaiah Todd. Wizards forward.

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

"Not IT?": Isaiah Todd. Wizards forward. 

Post#1 » by doclinkin » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:32 am

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Re: The real Isaiah Todd. Wizards forward. 

Post#2 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:35 am

Shoulda took Cooper
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#3 » by doclinkin » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:46 am

I like iTodd, he's got a good base of athleticism and size for the position, decent shooting, and will be surrounded by high energy and tough players to teach him to harness his aggression. (Trez, Bryant, Gafford). As well as shooters to look up to to refine his shooting routine (Bertans, Kispert). Wes Jr will have a few raw talents he can shape into the kind of players he wants them to be. None more raw than Todd, but still, an undeniable upside talent.
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#4 » by Ed Wood » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:49 am

It is certainly a reminder how not keyed into this process I am that Todd was picked 31st and is a consensus mild reach there because of the work left to do when Kuminga, his teammate, appears at least as the stats tell it to have been a pretty similar but markedly worse player. Kuminga was a year younger, which is a major major point in his favor for the purposes of the comparison. Anyway, he was a functional player in the G League at 18 and is apparently also very projectable.

I'd have preferred one of McBride or Cooper nevertheless.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#5 » by nate33 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:55 am

Couldn't we have traded up for Springer?
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#6 » by prime1time » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:09 am

After reading up on Todd it seems like the problem is he doesn't accept the notion that he's a big man. In a sense, he's a guard in a pf body. In addition, he also lacks feel for the game. He struggles to put the ball on the floor and creating for himself. The question for Todd is can he accept being a stretch 4. If at some later date he can become more, that conversation can change. But if he can add muscle, and be active defensively with his shooting ability, he'll have a long career.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#7 » by doclinkin » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:09 am

I actually think Todd may take Rui's minutes at PF before too long. More aggressive and decisive in attacking the basket, smoother and more proficient with his outside shot. Rui is training with big Guards tutors instead of learning to play with big Bigs. Not sure this was the smartest tactical move for him.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,223

Post#8 » by NatP4 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:33 am

I see nothing but another Chris McCullough, honestly. I can’t believe they turned the 22nd overall pick into Aaron Holiday and Isaiah Todd. That’s Ernie Grunfeld level bad.

He doesn’t defend, doesn’t block shots, rebound, get assists or steals. His efficiency is awful, his shot selection is laughable. I wouldn’t have even considered Todd until the 45-50 range. There were 10+ better prospects on the board at 31.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#10 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:33 am

NatP4 wrote:I see nothing but another Chris McCullough, honestly. I can’t believe they turned the 22nd overall pick into Aaron Holiday and Isaiah Todd. That’s Ernie Grunfeld level bad.

He doesn’t defend, doesn’t block shots, rebound, get assists or steals. His efficiency is awful, his shot selection is laughable. I wouldn’t have even considered Todd until the 45-50 range. There were 10+ better prospects on the board at 31.
Roger that based on my extremely limited knowledge.

I recall being very excited at the prospect of Chris McCullough when he was at Syracuse and when we traded I think it was the Nicholson trade that got him back.

Sent from my SM-T500 using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#11 » by Ruzious » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:55 am

prime1time wrote:After reading up on Todd it seems like the problem is he doesn't accept the notion that he's a big man. In a sense, he's a guard in a pf body. In addition, he also lacks feel for the game. He struggles to put the ball on the floor and creating for himself. The question for Todd is can he accept being a stretch 4. If at some later date he can become more, that conversation can change. But if he can add muscle, and be active defensively with his shooting ability, he'll have a long career.

He was very skinny-looking when he played with Ignite, but he measured in at a strong 219 lbs at the combine - and hopefully he can continue to get stronger. Maybe that'll give him the confidence to play inside more. Personally, if I was going to pick a developmental PF like him, I would have gone for JT Thor - who went 37th. Thor seems like a more assertive and confident player, imo. But Todd is a real good athlete with 3 point range. I can see why Tommy liked him, but picking him that high was a head-scratcher.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,561

Post#12 » by pcbothwel » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:20 am

He could be rashard Lewis or MPJ… but the fact that we could of traded with OKC for 34 + 36 and picked McBride/Butler + Queta will be an immediate mistake.
There is no doubt that at 22 we could of traded back to 28-32 and picked up a future pick and then followed up with the above trade to OKC.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Ruzious » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:02 pm

I almost have to question if Tommy uses the 2nd round to give favors to agents in expectations that they'll eventually reciprocate somehow. That was such an odd pick at that point in the draft.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#14 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:24 pm

I really don't think Todd is as bad as people are letting on.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#15 » by Kanyewest » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:36 pm

Ruzious wrote:I almost have to question if Tommy uses the 2nd round to give favors to agents in expectations that they'll eventually reciprocate somehow. That was such an odd pick at that point in the draft.

I would guess no https://basketball.realgm.com/info/agent_clients/Wallace-Prather/8
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Ruzious » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:29 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I almost have to question if Tommy uses the 2nd round to give favors to agents in expectations that they'll eventually reciprocate somehow. That was such an odd pick at that point in the draft.

I would guess no https://basketball.realgm.com/info/agent_clients/Wallace-Prather/8

Ha, one of his clients is Derrick Favors. And as the saying goes, "A Favors a favor." Proof.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#17 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:32 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:

Ha, one of his clients is Derrick Favors. And as the saying goes, "A Favors a favor." Proof.
Lou Williams too lol Todd is like his only dude under 27 lol

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
RealGM

Post#18 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:01 pm

I would’ve been very happy if they just kept Isaiah Jackson. I have a feeling Jackson’s gonna turn out to be a pretty good player. Jackson would not have fit, however, with all the centers they have on the roster right now. Perhaps this wait on Todd is best

Once they selected or signed as a free agent Jay Huff, that’s when I became much more relaxed about the situation with the number 22.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#19 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:05 pm

doclinkin wrote:I actually think Todd may take Rui's minutes at PF before too long. More aggressive and decisive in attacking the basket, smoother and more proficient with his outside shot. Rui is training with big Guards tutors instead of learning to play with big Bigs. Not sure this was the smartest tactical move for him.

That will be something to see. A trade would have to be made if Todd took minutes at PF.
Bye bye Beal.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,825

Post#20 » by tontoz » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:12 pm

Good news is size, athleticism and shooting.

Bad news is that he has a bit of Jordan Crawford in him.

High ceiling so I can understand their reasoning for picking him. However I don't know enough about the other players available to know whether he is a good pick. TBD I guess
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD

Return to Washington Wizards