Shams: Pacers acquire Isaiah Jackson for Aaron and #31

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Re: Shams: Pacers acquire Isaiah Jackson for Aaron and #31 

Post#41 » by Topofthekey » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:11 am

I would have loved to see Aaron having a bounce back season, but I'll consider this a win

We basically reset Aaron's rookie contract at the cost of 4 SRPs

Not terribly exciting, but a sensible move nonetheless

Isaiah Jackson seems like a fine pick, but as usual the question is will he get to pay at all or will just simply be stashed on the bench
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#42 » by Pacersike » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:29 am

Sad to see a guy with big potential leave. We won a lot of games with him starting next to Malcolm.

His mindset was a lot worse last season and our front office already gave up on him.

Be strong, Aaron!
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Post#43 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:32 pm

Boneman2 wrote:The way Garuba's buyout is worded makes it seem like he could return to Europe for one more season. It's a viable option for both he or the Rockets but considering the Rockets have cap space they might as well bite the bullet now. Are buyouts negotiable or firm?

Player buyouts with the team are ALWAYS possibly negotiable. Just depends on how each team wants to negotiate. However, NBA teams are legally limited in what they can provide to assist in the buyout. This year, the maximum is $775k, and that total goes up $25k each year (to “keep up with inflation”).

Garuba’s option, oddly though, actually gets MORE expensive each year he possibly stays in Spain. So, either he gets it negotiated down this offseason and still pays a full seasons salary to come to the NBA, or he may be staying in Spain Until the completion of his deal (when he would also be free of the rookie scale salary structure and could sign for anything up to his maximum salary).
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:35 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Good we might need some more $$$$ to squeeze McConnell back in.

We should still have around $12.5m left under the tax to fill our last two roster spots (as of right now).
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#45 » by Topofthekey » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:13 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

We should still have around $12.5m left under the tax to fill our last two roster spots (as of right now).

Bring back Doug?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:52 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Bring back Doug?

And let TJ walk?

TJ will likely cost around $6m per on a Justin Holiday like contract. Doug will likely be a 3/33 type deal. If we sign Doug as 14, we’d likely be leaving the 15th roster spot open.

No, I see the 15th spot being a competition between a locker room vet and maybe a guy who slips through the cracks?
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,299

Post#47 » by boomershadow » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:54 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I would have loved to see Aaron having a bounce back season, but I'll consider this a win

Isaiah Jackson seems like a fine pick, but as usual the question is will he get to pay at all or will just simply be stashed on the bench

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to be part of the rotation. Since Frank Vogel left we have done a really bad job of giving our first round picks chances to grow as players on the court, which is the only place imo NBA players really can grow. "Practice" and G-league time doesn't really simulate going up against legit NBA level talent in game.

That said, since we can't develop our first rounders those 2nd round picks we sent away were basically worthless. So I call it a good deal.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,341

Post#48 » by Nuntius » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:07 pm

boomershadow wrote:As a Holiday believer, this is slightly bittersweet for me. I hope he gets playing time and does well.

Yeah, I wish nothing but the best to Aaron.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by Topofthekey » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:54 pm

boomershadow wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:I would have loved to see Aaron having a bounce back season, but I'll consider this a win

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to be part of the rotation. Since Frank Vogel left we have done a really bad job of giving our first round picks chances to grow as players on the court, which is the only place imo NBA players really can grow. "Practice" and G-league time doesn't really simulate going up against legit NBA level talent in game.

That said, since we can't develop our first rounders those 2nd round picks we sent away were basically worthless. So I call it a good deal.

Yes, the SRPs are practically irrelevant for the Pacers, so the cost of resetting Aaron's rookie contract was almost negligible

I just hope they do a better job with Isaiah Jackson than they did with Alize. They never really managed to give Alize a chance to move into the rotation (I think Jakarr Sampson appeared in more games than Alize did)
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#50 » by Tom White » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:38 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I just hope they do a better job with Isaiah Jackson than they did with Alize. They never really managed to give Alize a chance to move into the rotation (I think Jakarr Sampson appeared in more games than Alize did)

Alize has been pretty much a one trick pony to this point. He gets some rebounds, but that is about it. As far as usage, Brooklyn only gave him time in 18 games this year, so it isn't as though he has had a huge leap in usage after leaving here.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by Topofthekey » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:46 pm

Tom White wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:I just hope they do a better job with Isaiah Jackson than they did with Alize. They never really managed to give Alize a chance to move into the rotation (I think Jakarr Sampson appeared in more games than Alize did)

Alize has been pretty much a one trick pony to this point. He gets some rebounds, but that is about it. As far as usage, Brooklyn only gave him time in 18 games this year, so it isn't as though he has had a huge leap in usage after leaving here.

Very true

But it made more sense to slot Alize in front of Sampson on the depth chart

Neither are huge difference makers, but if they had minutes for a 3rd string player like Sampson, it should have gone to Alize first instead

Sampson was a known quantity, Alize was a young player trying to crack the rotation
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 713

Post#52 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:46 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Not sure if the research above is true but in watching video Jackson is definitely aggressive towards rebounding, getting up and down the court, and rim defense.
Interesting being compared to Mobley.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#53 » by Wizop » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:36 am

Everything they say Mobley can learn to do, Turner does now. But one thing Jackson looks better at is his second jump.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#54 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:03 am

Wizop wrote:Everything they say Mobley can learn to do, Turner does now. But one thing Jackson looks better at is his second jump.

Sent from my phone.

Yes Jackson looks like he could develop Myles’s skill set and maybe beyond.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#55 » by Pacers Forever » Sun Aug 1, 2021 2:03 am

I’m going to predict Isiah Jackson will be on the Pacers roster and not playing G league this year to start the season.
I have confidence he can grow with the team and get some useful minutes. If he bombs in summer league then I’ll be wrong and he’ll be more of a raw talent than I’m currently thinking.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,341

Post#56 » by Nuntius » Sun Aug 1, 2021 9:21 am

Pacers Forever wrote:I’m going to predict Isiah Jackson will be on the Pacers roster and not playing G league this year to start the season.
I have confidence he can grow with the team and get some useful minutes. If he bombs in summer league then I’ll be wrong and he’ll be more of a raw talent than I’m currently thinking.

I don't see where we have the minutes for him. We already have Domas/Myles/Goga/Brisset ahead of him in the depth chart. Jackson is a pretty raw talent but that's alright. He's very young so we can wait and develop him. The G-League will be good for him.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#57 » by 8305 » Sun Aug 1, 2021 10:52 am

I believe Aaron lost out to TJ and Sumner fair and square. I still expect him to have a solid NBA career. I wonder if Aaron would have developed if we had not brought TJ in? And, Aaron reaching closer to draft night expectations would put the Pacers in a better situation than could ever be with TJ?
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by Topofthekey » Sun Aug 1, 2021 11:54 am

8305 wrote:I believe Aaron lost out to TJ and Sumner fair and square. I still expect him to have a solid NBA career. I wonder if Aaron would have developed if we had not brought TJ in? And, Aaron reaching closer to draft night expectations would put the Pacers in a better situation than could ever be with TJ?

I believe this

TJ's pretty great, I've said plenty of good things about him in the two years he's been a Pacer

But there are two problems I have with him

One, he is a bit of a mirage, he's not as good as his highlights make him look. I LOVE watching him hustle and craftily swipe the ball away from the opponent. But for all the extra possessions that he gains the team with his steals, he also gives away too many easy points by not boxing out or recognizing when to switch. He's best used as a nitro boost off the bench, he's not someone who you want to play 30+ mpg

Two, his lack of shooting is something that can be exploited by the opponent in the playoffs. He's someone who will help the team win regular season games, which has value don't get me wrong, but you ideally want to have 8 better players ahead of him on your roster when it comes to the playoffs

Aaron, if he had lived up to his potential and turned out to be someone like FVV for us would have put the team in a much better situation
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#59 » by 8305 » Sun Aug 1, 2021 1:28 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
8305 wrote:I believe Aaron lost out to TJ and Sumner fair and square. I still expect him to have a solid NBA career. I wonder if Aaron would have developed if we had not brought TJ in? And, Aaron reaching closer to draft night expectations would put the Pacers in a better situation than could ever be with TJ?

I believe this

TJ's pretty great, I've said plenty of good things about him in the two years he's been a Pacer

One, he is a bit of a mirage, he's not as good as his highlights make him look. I LOVE watching him hustle and craftily swipe the ball away from the opponent. But for all the extra possessions that he gains the team with his steals, he also gives away too many easy points by not boxing out or recognizing when to switch. He's best used as a nitro boost off the bench, he's not someone who want to play 30+ mpg

Two, his lack of shooting is something that can be exploited by the opponent in the playoffs. He's someone who will help the team win regular season games, which has value don't get me wrong, but you ideally want to have 8 better players ahead of him on your roster when it comes to the playoffs

Aaron, if he had lived up to his potential and turned out to be someone like FVV for us would have put the team in a much better situation

Would be interesting to see the resulting Pacer team had we kept Thad Young at the expense of signing Lamb and TJ.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Aug 1, 2021 1:40 pm

8305 wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:

I believe this

One, he is a bit of a mirage, he's not as good as his highlights make him look. I LOVE watching him hustle and craftily swipe the ball away from the opponent. But for all the extra possessions that he gains the team with his steals, he also gives away too many easy points by not boxing out or recognizing when to switch. He's best used as a nitro boost off the bench, he's not someone who want to play 30+ mpg

Would be interesting to see the resulting Pacer team had we kept Thad Young at the expense of signing Lamb and TJ.

I think Sabonis would’ve forced his way out before his rookie contract ended, if that was the case. There was a report that if Thad was re-signed, it had to have been to start, or play major minutes, and Sabonis would’ve refused to extend. And McMillan wasn’t excited about starting Sabonis but was kind of resigned to it. If we had kept Thad, I’m sure he would’ve found any reason to start Thad.

Return to Indiana Pacers