Welcome to ATL -- Sharife Cooper

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,468

Welcome to ATL -- Sharife Cooper 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:13 am

I think this pick might be the steal of the draft.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: Welcome to ATL -- Sharife Cooper 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:14 am

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#3 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:16 am

I don't like the Cooper pick. I would rather the Hawks draft a big in the 2nd round.

But with that said, I saw one of Cooper's high school games before the pandemic started and he was extremely impressive. The whole time I was watching him, I kept thinking "wow this guy is just so slippery".

He was so quick and great ball handling and great passing no guy could really stop him, he look like was just slipping by everybody, even when there was 2 or 3 guys infront of him.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:25 am

48. Atlanta Hawks (from Miami): PG Sharife Cooper, Auburn

This might be my favorite pick of the draft. Cooper was a top-25 prospect on my board, and I didn't think it was possible he'd slip to the second round, much less to No. 48. He gives Atlanta one of the best passers and playmakers in this draft to pair with (or likely back up) Trae Young -- one of the NBA's best passers and playmakers. So much fun.

Grade: A+
CBS Sports
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 656

Post#5 » by D21 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:02 am

Not sure what it will do on defense, but it can be a good choice on offense, especially with all the offensive weapons of this team. Will need to improve his shot consistency too.

Funny thing predicting him to be Trae's backup :
He ended the season as one of only two freshmen in the past 30 years to average 20 points and eight assists per game, with the other being Trae Young. His 51.5 percent assist rate would have led America if he played enough games. He would have finished second in the country in fouls draw per 40 minutes if he qualified for the leaderboard. Link
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#6 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:37 pm

Last time I thought we did this well in round 2 was 2005 with picking up Salim in round 2. I wanna say he was the first pick of round 2, 31 overall. I thought he was gonna stick in the league for a while.

Sharife Cooper got game though no doubt. That passing is Trae esque. Great pick.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#7 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:38 pm

Welcome Sharife!
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,913

Post#8 » by jayu70 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:14 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#9 » by HMFFL » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:28 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:

I don't like the Cooper pick. I would rather the Hawks draft a big in the 2nd round.

But with that said, I saw one of Cooper's high school games before the pandemic started and he was extremely impressive. The whole time I was watching him, I kept thinking "wow this guy is just so slippery".

He was so quick and great ball handling and great passing no guy could really stop him, he look like was just slipping by everybody, even when there was 2 or 3 guys infront of him.
As far as big men go I believe adding a cheap one in free agency is the better plan. Not drafting one that's probably not going to make a name for himself in the league and no experience doesn't seem appealing.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 656

Post#10 » by D21 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:53 pm

After the "they drafted Okongwu which shows they may not extend Collins later", how many weeks, months... before ESPN starts to say "they may have picked Cooper because it's not sure they want to extend Trae Young" :D
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,429

Post#11 » by CP War Hawks » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:41 pm

People fancy him a poorman's Trae, but it's more Kyrie for me. Not sure who the shooting coach is for Atl but this will be a full time job.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#12 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:05 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:People fancy him a poorman's Trae, but it's more Kyrie for me. Not sure who the shooting coach is for Atl but this will be a full time job.

If he can get that mid-range game straight (develop a consistent floater), he’ll be a beast in pick and roll and the offense won’t miss a beat when Trae leaves the game.

2-3 years from now, he should be an excellent trade piece. He is a starting caliber PG if the shooting comes around.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#13 » by Spud2nique » Sun Aug 1, 2021 4:26 am

jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,913

Post#14 » by jayu70 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 3:50 am

Hawks Sign Sharife Cooper To Two-Way ContractAugust 4th, 2021 at 9:18pm CST • By Luke Adams

The Hawks have signed second-round pick Sharife Cooper to a two-way contract, according to the official transactions log at NBA.com.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#15 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 5:38 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:People fancy him a poorman's Trae, but it's more Kyrie for me. Not sure who the shooting coach is for Atl but this will be a full time job.

If he can get that mid-range game straight (develop a consistent floater), he’ll be a beast in pick and roll and the offense won’t miss a beat when Trae leaves the game.

2-3 years from now, he should be an excellent trade piece. He is a starting caliber PG if the shooting comes around.

Coop reminds me more of Omar Cook or a very poor man's Jason Williams
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#16 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:31 am

Travis Schlenk wrote:(Sharife) obviously showed his playmaking ability as well, with his creativity passing the basketball, which we knew coming into it. I think what he’s going to have to learn is to not hold the ball so long and to make quicker decisions. He’s used to being able to run the clock down and being able to make a play at the shot clock, but that’s going to be harder, an adjustment for him up here. I think being able to make quicker decisions, that’s going to be important for him, and obviously working on his perimeter shot. That’s a big part of, if you’re going to be a small guard in the NBA, you’ve got to be able to score.
AJC.com
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#17 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:58 am

Breakout Player Watch: Sharife Cooper Already Looks Like a Caps-Lock STEAL

Loads of people were shocked Sharife Cooper fell all the way to the Atlanta Hawks at No. 48.

Sure, he knocked down just 35.0 percent of his two-point jumpers and 22.8 percent of his threes at Auburn, per Hoop-Math. And yes, he's "only" 6'1". But transcendent orchestration out of the pick-and-roll is hard to find, and he forecasts as someone who provides it. Bleacher Report's Jonathan Wasserman had him coming off the board at No. 24 in his final mock.

Still, Cooper's draft-day fall implied more concerns about his potential effectiveness at the NBA level. Never mind that he converted 82.5 percent of his free throws. The outside shooting was, it seems, a red flag many teams weren't willing to overlook.

And it appears that's going to be great news for the Hawks.

After uncorking only one three-point attempt (and missing it) in his summer-league debut, Cooper made five of his eight deep balls against the Pacers on Tuesday, including what proved to be the game-winning bucket from the right corner.

A singular detonation in an exhibition game isn't prognostic or all-revealing. But Cooper's accuracy in college at the foul line always suggested he could reach a higher level from the perimeter. If he even sniffs league-average efficiency and volume from behind the rainbow, Atlanta will have likely bagged the biggest steal of the entire draft.

Whether Cooper gets the opportunity to overturn his outside limitations in the regular season remains to be seen. The Hawks fancy themselves fringe contenders and have Lou Williams, Delon Wright and even Bogdan Bogdanovic to pilot the second-unit offense. Twenty-year-olds also seldom factor into the rotation of should-be playoff locks. Cooper could spend a lot of his time shuttling to and from the College Park Skyhawks.

Then again, Atlanta's backup point guard carousel is hazy enough that he could get a bite at semi-regular minutes. Bogdanovic, Williams and Wright are more secondary playmakers than floor generals.

Regardless, though, "Steal of the Draft" isn't a superlative that should be awarded out of the gate. It takes years to understand how a rookie class unfolds. That Cooper has already hinted at strengthening his largest weakness is an encouraging sign both for what it could mean now and later.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#18 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:38 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ghsermon
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#19 » by ghsermon » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:11 pm

It's too early too declare anything but if Cooper ends up being a top backup PG who could start for several other teams, that's a game changing pick for the Hawks. Gives you the security behind Trae, a guy who can run the 2nd unit without much drop off, and a future trade chip. Again too early to declare anything but if he continues on this trajectory will be a hell of a steal.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#20 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:03 pm

HMFFL wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:I don't like the Cooper pick. I would rather the Hawks draft a big in the 2nd round.

As far as big men go I believe adding a cheap one in free agency is the better plan. Not drafting one that's probably not going to make a name for himself in the league and no experience doesn't seem appealing.

I'm with you, HMFFL. Hawks already wasted a high 2nd round pick on Bruno Fernando and received 0 tangible benfit on the court from the selection.

Sharife is looking like a home run pick for where he was selected. First round value at the end of the second round. Possibly the single best 2nd round selection under Travis Schlenk. (In Atlanta that is.)

The tagline for his first year in College Park:

There's a new Sharife in town!!

Return to Atlanta Hawks