2021 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,077

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1521 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:01 pm

yup after picking Giddey and Sengun falling, I could already see Presti picking Sengun (or maybe Garuba). I still don't understand he didn't pick any of them.

Gonna laugh at this if Jeremiah Robinson-Earl becomes the second best big of this draft behind Mobley but I wouldn't bet on this :(
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1522 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:25 pm

I think passing on Sengun makes sense if you plan to build around Poku and Giddey at F (And Josh will be a SF, at least on defense IMO). You want a switchy, defensive oriented big next to those two. Its why Garuba not being targeted is head scratching, but his height at only 6'8 may have been the factor. I think the defensive limitations of Sengun, and the general trend of non-generational high usage centers just not really contributing to wins as of late, makes the passing of him arguable sensical.

Giddey is going to be really good. It may come off as lazy, but Ingles really has even worse athleticism and needed to develop his shot and managed to do so. Josh can do the same. But the kid is a savant in terms of feel for the game. He eats, breathes and sleeps with a basketball. He is a former pros/coaches son. He was a consistent triple double threat as a 18 year old playing against men in their physical primes. The way he gets to his spots on offense will translate in the same way Luka's has, the game is just tremendously slow for him despite his age. Thats a trait harder to find than a 40" vertical or a deadeye 3PT shooter IMO. I think he has the potential to be a special player. And finally, Josh absolutley seems like the type to stick around a place like OKC rather than run to a big city.

I wasnt as high on Mann, but I also dont think there is much if any difference between him and the other 2nd tier guards (Bouk, Moody, Springer, Primo, Duarte). So its a scenario where you just trust the GM IMO. Like Josh, he seems to be a really high character kid who has shown to be a basketball junky with the willingness to really work on his game. Added 20lbs from Fr to So, improved his 3PT shot tremendously, improved everything levels and levels from his Fr season really. Not sure he is someone you want to bet against. Many wanted Bouk, but Mann is younger, a better shooter and gets to the line at a comparable rate. And passes better. You watch his highlights and he isnt just hitting open kickout 3's, he is dribbling himself open, creating space and shooting with a nice release. I think he fits well next to SGA too.

For both prospects their neutral wingspans are the biggest issues to me, historically thats a bigger indicator of a bust than one likes to think.

The trade kicks the can down the road and makes sense to me. Presti is aiming for another high pick in 2022, and if that works out, as well as Poku and the 2021 FRPs, then your looking at a team that is a piece away. Stock up on FRP's and use them in the future to secure that piece. I said earlier but if a rookie is worth extending, he isnt going to be cheap, and no team extends 3 good rookies. That likely plays a role as well.

R2 is the big dissapointment to me. The trade up value was abysmal and I see a Dante Cunningham type in Robinson. J-A-G. Lots of talent they could have looked towards instead. I would have taken Thor and Queta.
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#1523 » by namlede » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:29 pm

nice read, too many thunder fans are down on this draft but you can spin it anyway you want good or bad.

yes we gave up #16 for future late firsts. but when we are competing in the playoffs an extra 1st to find a role player will come in handy.

trading 34 and 36 for 32 is a bad value but Presti must have seen something in JRE, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. he does give off Collision vibes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#1524 » by spearsy23 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:44 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:I would've taken Sengun at 16 instead of kicking the can down the road. Mann/JRE aren't who I would've picked at their respective spots but happy we took 3 guys with solid to great BBIQs. Seem like 3 great kids too. I know almost nothing about Wiggins.

It's amazing how Sam manages to leave me with the same feeling almost every year on draft night.

I don't think there was a scenario where we picked sixth and didn't end up with this feeling this year. Huge flaws no matter who we took after the consensus top 5. I feel better about Giddey than I would have with Bouknight, who seems rather obviously to be a shot chucker who even if he pans out may hurt you more than he helps, or Kuminga, who is all athletic potential no basketball skill at this point.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#1525 » by spearsy23 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:46 pm

Has giddy been compared to Tomas Satoransky yet? That feels like a solid starting point
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#1526 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:53 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:I would've taken Sengun at 16 instead of kicking the can down the road. Mann/JRE aren't who I would've picked at their respective spots but happy we took 3 guys with solid to great BBIQs. Seem like 3 great kids too. I know almost nothing about Wiggins.

It's amazing how Sam manages to leave me with the same feeling almost every year on draft night.

I don't think there was a scenario where we picked sixth and didn't end up with this feeling this year. Huge flaws no matter who we took after the consensus top 5. I feel better about Giddey than I would have with Bouknight, who seems rather obviously to be a shot chucker who even if he pans out may hurt you more than he helps, or Kuminga, who is all athletic potential no basketball skill at this point.

I agree. Seeing Suggs fall to fifth was a bit of a tease. Raptors fans seem less than enthused about barnes. For me, Cade, Green, Mobley and Suggs were a tier above anyone we could have taken.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,906

Post#1527 » by Dn4sty » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:03 pm

I’m not upset by any of the players they drafted, but the 16th pick decision was/is baffling.

Also I a large part of my frustration stems from the lottery madness/way in which they tanked.

Everyone wants to point to the Clippers game, but equally frustrating is all the games they won early in the year. I feel like they thought that they could just rely on the draft odds to work in their favor with Houston/their own pick.

There were simple ways to help those odds during the season that didn’t happen.

I have a bit of faith the Detroit pick conveys at some point, but not with the Wizards pick.
namlede
Sophomore

Post#1528 » by namlede » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:10 pm

I just don't think they realized how good Shai was. they couldn't just sit him, the I jury was the excuse they needed.

namlede
Sophomore

Post#1529 » by namlede » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:10 pm

namlede wrote:I just don't think they realized how good Shai was. they couldn't just sit him, the I jury was the excuse they needed.

*injury.

spearsy23
RealGM

Post#1530 » by spearsy23 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:37 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

I agree. Seeing Suggs fall to fifth was a bit of a tease. Raptors fans seem less than enthused about barnes. For me, Cade, Green, Mobley and Suggs were a tier above anyone we could have taken.

I'd started to fall in love with the idea of Suggs, so that tease really hurt.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#1531 » by spearsy23 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:39 pm

Does anyone have strong feelings one way or the other on Mann? I know basically nothing about him.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1532 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:48 pm

spearsy23 wrote:Does anyone have strong feelings one way or the other on Mann? I know basically nothing about him.

Not really. As usual, sam picked someone I didn't really research. He does appear to actually be a good shooter and not a pretend one like Ferguson and Poku.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1533 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:50 pm

Read on Twitter
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#1534 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:01 pm

Really surprised a team didnt take Vrenz even w/ his contract status. Cant you draft his rights and just wait for his deal in EUR to expire or be reworked?
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#1535 » by getrichordie » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:05 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:I don’t understand why Zaire Williams was so coveted and Brandon Boston wasn’t.Regardless, it was a very gutsy move by Memphis. I heard Giddey and Wagner were the two they wanted so it sounds like their trade up might have backfired. I hope it works for them.

The contexts surrounding both players matters a lot here. I did have Brandon Boston Jr. top 30 on my board, but I wonder how much his “Pro Day” and the circumstances of TC’s passing affected his stock… On top of that, the brand of basketball he currently likes to play is incompatible with NBA physicality. The same thing could be said about Ziaire to an extent, but he’s 6’10 and his context was arguably worse at Stanford. Played with a 5 lb. knee brace on a 175 lb. frame which throws off your balance a ton. ZW needs to get stronger, but his game translates much better in theory than BBJ’s.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1536 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:11 pm

getrichordie wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I don’t understand why Zaire Williams was so coveted and Brandon Boston wasn’t.Regardless, it was a very gutsy move by Memphis. I heard Giddey and Wagner were the two they wanted so it sounds like their trade up might have backfired. I hope it works for them.

The contexts surrounding both players matters a lot here. I did have Brandon Boston Jr. top 30 on my board, but I wonder how much his “Pro Day” and the circumstances of TC’s passing affected his stock… On top of that, the brand of basketball he currently likes to play is incompatible with NBA physicality. The same thing could be said about Ziaire to an extent, but he’s 6’10 and his context was arguably worse at Stanford. Played with a 5 lb. knee brace on a 175 lb. frame which throws off your balance a ton. ZW needs to get stronger, but his game translates much better in theory than BBJ’s.

Sure, but at number ten? The excuses for Williams may be valid but he legitimately wasn’t good in college. That’s a tough pill to swallow at ten. I don’t think that’s who Memphis wanted when they traded up to ten. If that’s true, thats on them too.
thor19
Junior
And1: 65

Post#1537 » by thor19 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:13 pm

Is there a undrafted center or pf we can get in a two way deal ?
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#1538 » by retrobro90 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:26 pm

spearsy23 wrote:Has giddy been compared to Tomas Satoransky yet? That feels like a solid starting point

Yeah I did on the draft board a few days ago lol. Regretting it now that we've selected him but hard not to see parallels.
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,906

Post#1539 » by Dn4sty » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:28 pm

spearsy23 wrote:Does anyone have strong feelings one way or the other on Mann? I know basically nothing about him.

I may be in the minority but I had him at 13 on my own personal board. I tried to watch a bunch and read a bunch about each prospect this year.

My order was

Cade
Mobley
Suggs
Green
Barnes
Bouknight
Kuminga
Giddey
Moody
Garuba
Springer
Sengun
Mann
Franz
Kai
Zaire
Isaiah Jackson
Murphy
Butler
Mitchell
Kispert
Thor
Duarte
Keon
Cam
Isaiah Todd
Bones
Jalen Johnson
Primo
Queta
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#1540 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:33 pm

retrobro90 wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:Has giddy been compared to Tomas Satoransky yet? That feels like a solid starting point

Yeah I did on the draft board a few days ago lol. Regretting it now that we've selected him but hard not to see parallels.

I think Sato is more of a ball mover and Giddey projects as a creator. As in he can get to the rim using advanced, crafty moves and kickout or hit the cutter where Sato just always makes the right pass, whether pushing in transition or swinging the ball from the arc. I think he is more agressive that Sato as well with a larger frame.

Sato with higher shot volume is a great player though. He has very good advanced stats and an amazing TS% for a GF.

I think he is a odd mix of Ingles, Manu and Doncic. I think 16ppg, 7apg, 6rpg isnt out of the question when he hits his prime, but more than anything like those 3 I think he plays winning basketball. Unselfish, constantly engaged, smart basketball.

Also think his shot mechanics are good. He has a good base and once the ball is around his head, the flick and follow through are great. He just need to learn to begin his shot higher, he starts way too low IMO.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder