ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1541 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:16 pm

Aaron Wiggins from the athletic-
Spoiler:
The fact is, if Wiggins had shot better than 35.6 percent on 3s as a junior at Maryland last year, he would never have been available when the Thunder selected him in the first place.

“Every team that called said the same thing — that if he had shot the ball more consistently this year, he’d be an easy first-rounder. Easy,” said DeAndre Haynes, a former assistant at Maryland for the last two years before moving on to Marquette this offseason.

Those calls came over and over, Haynes explained, after Wiggins went through individual predraft workouts with teams for the last two months. Given a closer look at the 6-foot-5 swingman with a 6-foot-9 wingspan, they found something resembling a prototype NBA two-guard.

As a junior, Wiggins was set to take over a staring role, but he sometimes looked like a miscast leader of an undersized team. Maryland spent a fair amount of time figuring out an identity. In time, though, the Terps leaned into a smaller lineup, found their way. Down the stretch, they rode Wiggins, and he responded by delivering 18.0 points, 6.7 rebounds, 2.0 assists and 1.5 steals per game. He made 4.3 2-point baskets on 60.3 percent shooting and 2.5 3s on 41.8 percent shooting.

And there was the Alabama game. Wiggins dropped 27 points on one of the best defensive teams in college basketball. He hit 3s. He scored on all variety of drives. He converted spins and pivots and jab-steps and running floaters. He looked like a first-round draft pick, that’s for sure, and it’s likely that game played a part in Wiggins’ final decision to bypass his final year of college.

As a pro prospect, Wiggins brings a blend of length, athleticism, speed and crafty skills. The question is, can the Greensboro, N.C. native distinguish himself at the NBA level and carve out a place in the Thunder’s plans?

Robinson-Earl
Spoiler:
Robinson-Earl, who is 6-foot-9 and 230 pounds, is the eighth Villanova player in the last five years to be drafted. In his two seasons as a Wildcat, he started all 56 games he appeared in, averaging 12.8 points and 9.0 rebounds per contest. As a sophomore last season, he led the Wildcats in scoring (15.7) and rebounding (8.5) on his way to being named co-Big East Player of the Year. Robinson-Earl was also named the Big East Freshman of the Year in 2020.

Robinson-Earl is a polished prospect. He’s a cerebral player who has a strong feel for the game. He’s a highly skilled passer for a big man. He’s very comfortable with the ball in his hands and is great at making plays for others, so much so that toward the end of last season when Villanova lost starting point guard Collin Gillespie to injury, Wright was comfortable giving Robinson-Earl reps at point guard — and he actually looked good doing it.

That, however, is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of Robinson-Earl’s offensive versatility. He has strong footwork and an ability to finish around the rim with either hand (made 67.7 percent of his shots at the basket in half-court settings last season). He can put the ball on the deck when matched up against slower forwards and centers. Robinson-Earl shot just 28 percent from deep last season, but he has the mechanics needed to develop into a consistent 3-point threat in the league.

Robinson-Earl, who turns 21 in November, is a high-floor, low-ceiling type of prospect. He isn’t a great athlete, so developing a consistent jumper will be the key for his longevity in the league. Best case scenario, given his jumper develops, he should be a solid rotational contributor at both ends. But again, if he can’t hit outside shots, it might be difficult to justify keeping him on the floor.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
bbms
Analyst
And1: 531

Post#1542 » by bbms » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:20 pm

I like the Giddey pick, seems like Prest is going for players with floor awareness.

But it hardly won't matter. Alperen Sengun is the best player in this draft class and imo Presti acted like a fool. Trade was god awful.
Mr Thunder Nick
Junior
And1: 88

Post#1543 » by Mr Thunder Nick » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:26 pm

I think Mann is a good pick. He has a good foot-work, can create his own shot. Drive to the Basket and shot the 3. On a good day, he can be the scorer. But defense.....no idea
Mr Thunder Nick
Junior
And1: 88

Post#1544 » by Mr Thunder Nick » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:29 pm

Even Wiggins look fine . I would sign him at least on a two way contract.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#1545 » by cjmcallist » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:37 pm

The day after:

I’m on board with Giddey. Excited to see him play.

I still don’t get the #16 trade. In general, two picks for one is a good deal. Here, I would’ve rather picked Someone.

Tre Mann is fine. I like him. But, if we are playing the pick value game that we did at #16, why couldn’t we do that here? Trade back and then take Mann later.

Finally, 32for 34/36 was bad value.

Also, we need to trade SGA now. Should have traded him this draft.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 531

Post#1546 » by bbms » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:39 pm

cjmcallist wrote:The day after:

I still don’t get the #16 trade. In general, two picks for one is a good deal. Here, I would’ve rather picked Someone.

Tre Mann is fine. I like him. But, if we are playing the pick value game that we did at #16, why couldn’t we do that here? Trade back and then take Mann later.

The picks got in return are not good.

We are not in a good position even for Chet Holmgrem. SGA and Dort alone make us competitive enough to be out of the race.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#1547 » by cjmcallist » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:44 pm

bbms wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:The day after:

The picks got in return are not good.

We are not in a good position even for Chet Holmgrem. SGA and Dort alone make us competitive enough to be out of the race.

I agree on the picks. It was not good.

Exactly. If we are not even willing to swing on Sengun at 16 this year - what are we doing with SGA on our roster? Trade him to TOR for #4.

Or, maybe we are all higher on him than The NBA at large. If so, might be smart to let him show out for two months and then trade him.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#1548 » by spearsy23 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:21 pm

Shai without al isn't going to pull out those games we did last year.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#1549 » by spearsy23 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:22 pm

And trading shai is still dumb. We have 6 more years of control
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
thor19
Junior
And1: 65

Post#1550 » by thor19 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:51 pm

spearsy23 wrote:And trading shai is still dumb. We have 6 more years of control

I say trade for one of myles turner bamba, mitchell robinson or jjjr
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1551 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:59 pm

thor19 wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:And trading shai is still dumb. We have 6 more years of control

I say trade for one of myles turner bamba, mitchell robinson or jjjr

Turner is 25, Bamba and Mitchell are due for a payday soon and JJJ isnt going to be obtainable as MEM is looking to win.

I think they just wait. Maybe sign a young big next summer if the cake bakes faster than anticipated. In the meantime its Favors w/ Baze and Roby as small ball backups IMO (Albeit both are similar sized to Sengun and Garuba, so how small are they really)
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,906

Post#1552 » by Dn4sty » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:08 pm

Everyone acting like this will be the roster is silly. Kemba will get moved before the season starts. WOJ all but said it was going to happen.

They will also be the third team in a lot of deals and I also except another salary dump somewhere.
RunOKC
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,383

Post#1553 » by RunOKC » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:22 pm

All this espn/twitter propaganda about a 'timeline' has really gotten to peoples heads in regards to SGA :lol:
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#1554 » by thedoppelganger » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:37 pm

Ok so I'm just now getting caught up on everything that happened last night after being mostly in the dark for the past 18 hours.

OKC related thoughts:
I'm good with Giddey as he's a high risk/reward type, and overall I didn't see a big difference between any of the guys in the 6-10 range, so glad we got the guy that we and other teams behind us seemed to be pretty high on.

Not sure we'll ever really know, but I would love to hear what we were offering to move up to 3/4/5. I imagine it was practically impossible to get to 3 without offering Shai.

I think I would have liked what we did at 16/18 more if we took someone other than Mann at 18. Just not a huge fan of that player type personally, and our guard rotation is overflowing with guys that need developmental minutes. We must be planning on trading someone from that group, otherwise someone's going to be left out which doesn't make sense for where we're at.

The value of those 2 picks for #16 is pretty good given where they'll convey in a few years, but just dampens the mood a bit given Sengun was right there for the taking. This feels like we're kicking the can down the road until we're able to get the right trade package for either a disgruntled player or actually able to move up in the draft, neither of which seemed available this draft.

34 + 36 for 32 is pretty underwhelming, but I'm not going to lose sleep over what we do in the second round. If we had JRE marked high, then fine. At least it wasn't another guard. Miles McBride was my pre-draft crush, so hurts that we had him right there. Surprised we didn't draft and stash anywhere in the second.

Overall I'm ok with the draft. I told myself I wouldn't get my hopes up too high after the lottery disaster, and to expect the unexpected, and Presti definitely lived up to that billing. Our steady progression from drafting hyper athletes who need to work on skill to drafting skill based players at least makes for more aesthetically pleasing tanking.

Oh and we will definitely be one of the 2-3 worst teams next year based off what we did here, probably along with Orlando.

Overall draft thoughts:
I can hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth from Toronto fans all the way down here in OKC. Can't believe they passed on Suggs for Barnes.

Feel good for Orlando for having what seems like a great draft with Suggs/Wagner at 5/8.

LOL Kings and Spurs.

Confused at Memphis moving all the way up to 10 only to end up with Ziaire. Why make that move to get a guy that probably would have been there at 17?

Bouknight + Kai to Charlotte, they're going to be one of my league pass teams yet again next year.

Knicks trading out and down is confusing, but does seem like trading up in the lottery had a steep asking price.

I'm intrigued by Houston's draft, lots of overlapping skillsets (KPJ/Green/Christopher) or weird partnerships (Wood/Sengun/Garuba). Think they'll be pretty terrible next year, but entertaining to watch.

Jared Butler at 40 and Sharife at 48?! Wow what a slide. Butler especially I thought was a top 20 talent, guess the medicals still are scaring teams.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1555 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:40 pm

RunOKC wrote:All this espn/twitter propaganda about a 'timeline' has really gotten to peoples heads in regards to SGA :lol:

It’s because we drafted Giddey. I dont know what he’ll be but they wouldn’t be as concerned had it not been an international guy that people like SAS know nothing about. Even the year of Luka, the casual sports shows talked a lot more about Ayton and Bagley. Also, let’s not pretend that ESPN doesn’t want him in a bigger market.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#1556 » by Old Man Game » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:42 pm

I wish I could post the audio here, if any of you have a sirius streaming subscription go back and listen to this morning's show with Zach Harper and Amin El Hassin and Reggie Theus. They got into a talk about how nuts the Sengun trade was (to trade out of a pick that low for nothing but other picks). Basically said Sam Presti needs an intervention and that what he's doing is like what got Sam Hinkie into trouble (blatant tanking) but an even more extreme version of it.
RunOKC
Assistant Coach

Post#1557 » by RunOKC » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:43 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
RunOKC wrote:All this espn/twitter propaganda about a 'timeline' has really gotten to peoples heads in regards to SGA :lol:

It’s because we drafted Giddey. I dont know what he’ll be but they wouldn’t be as concerned had it not been an international guy that people like SAS know nothing about. Even the year of Luka, the casual sports shows talked a lot more about Ayton and Bagley. Also, let’s not pretend that ESPN doesn’t want him in a bigger market.

Bingo to the bolded, but it was before drafting Giddey as well.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1558 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:46 pm

Spoiler:
thedoppelganger wrote:Ok so I'm just now getting caught up on everything that happened last night after being mostly in the dark for the past 18 hours.

OKC related thoughts:
I'm good with Giddey as he's a high risk/reward type, and overall I didn't see a big difference between any of the guys in the 6-10 range, so glad we got the guy that we and other teams behind us seemed to be pretty high on.

Not sure we'll ever really know, but I would love to hear what we were offering to move up to 3/4/5. I imagine it was practically impossible to get to 3 without offering Shai.

I think I would have liked what we did at 16/18 more if we took someone other than Mann at 18. Just not a huge fan of that player type personally, and our guard rotation is overflowing with guys that need developmental minutes. We must be planning on trading someone from that group, otherwise someone's going to be left out which doesn't make sense for where we're at.

The value of those 2 picks for #16 is pretty good given where they'll convey in a few years, but just dampens the mood a bit given Sengun was right there for the taking. This feels like we're kicking the can down the road until we're able to get the right trade package for either a disgruntled player or actually able to move up in the draft, neither of which seemed available this draft.

34 + 36 for 32 is pretty underwhelming, but I'm not going to lose sleep over what we do in the second round. If we had JRE marked high, then fine. At least it wasn't another guard. Miles McBride was my pre-draft crush, so hurts that we had him right there. Surprised we didn't draft and stash anywhere in the second.

Overall I'm ok with the draft. I told myself I wouldn't get my hopes up too high after the lottery disaster, and to expect the unexpected, and Presti definitely lived up to that billing. Our steady progression from drafting hyper athletes who need to work on skill to drafting skill based players at least makes for more aesthetically pleasing tanking.

Oh and we will definitely be one of the 2-3 worst teams next year based off what we did here, probably along with Orlando.

Overall draft thoughts:
I can hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth from Toronto fans all the way down here in OKC. Can't believe they passed on Suggs for Barnes.

Feel good for Orlando for having what seems like a great draft with Suggs/Wagner at 5/8.

LOL Kings and Spurs.

Confused at Memphis moving all the way up to 10 only to end up with Ziaire. Why make that move to get a guy that probably would have been there at 17?

Bouknight + Kai to Charlotte, they're going to be one of my league pass teams yet again next year.

Knicks trading out and down is confusing, but does seem like trading up in the lottery had a steep asking price.

I'm intrigued by Houston's draft, lots of overlapping skillsets (KPJ/Green/Christopher) or weird partnerships (Wood/Sengun/Garuba). Think they'll be pretty terrible next year, but entertaining to watch.

Jared Butler at 40 and Sharife at 48?! Wow what a slide. Butler especially I thought was a top 20 talent, guess the medicals still are scaring teams.

Agree with a lot of this. The Spurs have really underwhelmed the last few years. Reading some of the posts on the raptors board was entertaining.
RunOKC
Assistant Coach

Post#1559 » by RunOKC » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:48 pm

Mr Thunder Nick wrote:

I think Mann is a good pick. He has a good foot-work, can create his own shot. Drive to the Basket and shot the 3. On a good day, he can be the scorer. But defense.....no idea

I like the pick too. Anyone else see him as a CJ McCollum/Norman Powell type of player in those highlights? Those were the first that came to mind.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1560 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:51 pm

Old Man Game wrote:I wish I could post the audio here, if any of you have a sirius streaming subscription go back and listen to this morning's show with Zach Harper and Amin El Hassin and Reggie Theus. They got into a talk about how nuts the Sengun trade was (to trade out of a pick that low for nothing but other picks). Basically said Sam Presti needs an intervention and that what he's doing is like what got Sam Hinkie into trouble (blatant tanking) but an even more extreme version of it.

We blatantly tanked for a few months last year. That’s it. Hinkie didn’t have an all star like shai. Although I wish we had taken Sengun 16, some people are making it sound like we passed on Cade. If that’s the case, we shouldn’t be the only team getting hammered for it.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder