No votes

Total votes: 18

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,121

Rubio for Pince grades 

Post#1 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:49 pm

I give it a B. The absence of a backup PG killed us last year. He looks like he still has plenty left in the tank based on his Olympic play. I'm a little leary of losing Prince's shooting but you get the sense that both he and the Cavs wanted to part ways ar the last deadline.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Medall21
Sophomore
And1: 46

Re: Rubio for Pince grades 

Post#2 » by Medall21 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:30 pm

I think it's coming a crash of intentions. Cavs wants him as a back-up point guard and mentor of youngsters in a non-winning season and he wants to be a starter in a contender. He already said he was uncomfortable in Minny for that reason. Let's see what happens :)
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,379

Post#3 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:03 pm

Medall21 wrote:I think it's coming a crash of intentions. Cavs wants him as a back-up point guard and mentor of youngsters in a non-winning season and he wants to be a starter in a contender. He already said he was uncomfortable in Minny for that reason. Let's see what happens :)

Well, unfortunately for Ricky a contender with an open starting position didn't trade for him, realistically what other option does he have than to try to play well and try to change that by the trade deadline or by the time he becomes a free-agent?

No matter how he plays, the Cavs will consider his $17M expiring contract to be an asset, so they won't just buy him out.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:56 pm

Medall21 wrote:I think it's coming a crash of intentions. Cavs wants him as a back-up point guard and mentor of youngsters in a non-winning season and he wants to be a starter in a contender. He already said he was uncomfortable in Minny for that reason. Let's see what happens :)
Which contender is starting him?

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#5 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:33 pm

I picked a B for now ... could go up or down depending if we can do anything with Rubio's expiring contract and/or what other moves Altman has in mind. Obviously they needed a backup PG, but I didn't expect them to invest that much.

Perhaps they've already determined the MLE wasn't going to get the job done in free-agency for someone on the Caruso/McConnell level? We'll know soon enough.

If they're still entertaining keeping and getting the most out of Collin Sexton, they've at least got some potential lineups they can throw out on the floor to explore that ceiling.
Medall21
Sophomore

Post#6 » by Medall21 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:10 pm

JonFromVA wrote:

Well, unfortunately for Ricky a contender with an open starting position didn't trade for him, realistically what other option does he have than to try to play well and try to change that by the trade deadline or by the time he becomes a free-agent?

No matter how he plays, the Cavs will consider his $17M expiring contract to be an asset, so they won't just buy him out.

I really wish him and Cavs the best. Let's see next Cavs trades and free agency moves. Maybe scenario will look different then.
Medall21
Sophomore

Post#7 » by Medall21 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:11 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

It seems Clippers and Celtics made inquiries for him.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#8 » by bmurph128 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:18 pm

He runs an offense better than every player on the Cavs roster combined. Easy A.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#9 » by El Hespiritu » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:41 pm

I'm amazed to realize there are existent NBA players who want to be starters in a contender team.
WTF?!

But I must trust it, course.
Sure.

I'm still in shock, tho.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#10 » by Stillwater » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:02 pm

It gets the Cavs a aging back up to cover for some of DG's injury issues and opens up the odds Love is a willing participant in playing with a secondary unit run by his old teammate...or it allows them to justify bringing Garland off the bench occasionally where he should be lol
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#11 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:16 pm

Medall21 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

And yet they couldn't beat our offer?

I could see the Cavs and Celtics potentially working something out. It looks like Tristan Thomspon's contract is expiring and they could throw in young players like Pritchard and/or Nesmith.
Medall21
Sophomore

Post#12 » by Medall21 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:39 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Medall21 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Which contender is starting him?

I could see the Cavs and Celtics potentially working something out. It looks like Tristan Thomspon's contract is expiring and they could throw in young players like Pritchard and/or Nesmith.

It shows, at least, limited interest from them.

This Boston deal could happen. Even a deal around Simmons / Sexton + some assets too.

And then the picture will look completely different. A young core of Mobley, J.Allen, I.Okoro, B.Simmons with some shooters and positive veteran leadership is something thrilling.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#13 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:58 pm

Medall21 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Medall21 wrote:

It shows, at least, limited interest from them.

This Boston deal could happen. Even a deal around Simmons / Sexton + some assets too.

And then the picture will look completely different. A young core of Mobley, J.Allen, I.Okoro, B.Simmons with some shooters and positive veteran leadership is something thrilling.

I'm not sure thrilling is the right word for it ... but it would be hilarious watching other teams try to score against that group.

It is possible the Cavs wanted a bigger expiring like Rubio to make pulling off a Simmons or similar deal easier, but the 76'ers have to start bringing their trade demands a long-long ways down which means every other possibility needs to dry up.

But fwiw, Darius Garland and Ben Simmons do share an agent. Same for John Wall ... who can't stay healthy, but maybe Morey could convince himself he got the star he needs back for Simmons. Except ... would Fertita ever trade with him?

As for a Cavs deal, the timing is all wrong. It's great to have options at the trade deadline, but the time to make a big Simmons trade is over the Summer when both sides can integrate their new pieces. The Sixers especially shouldn't risk throwing away a season by trying to construct a new roster without Ben in January/February.

Morey really shouldn't be wasting however many mostly healthy seasons Joel Embiid has left.
Medall21
Sophomore

Post#14 » by Medall21 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:57 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Medall21 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Which contender is starting him?

Read on Twitter

One option less :wink:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:16 pm

El Hespiritu wrote:I'm amazed to realize there are existent NBA players who want to be starters in a contender team.
WTF?!

Sure.

I'm still in shock, tho.
That wasn't the question though. The question was which NBA team is going to start Rubio? Because there are many, many minutes for him here.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,648

Post#16 » by toooskies » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:25 am

jbk1234 wrote:
El Hespiritu wrote:I'm amazed to realize there are existent NBA players who want to be starters in a contender team.
WTF?!

Sure.

I'm still in shock, tho.
That wasn't the question though. The question was which NBA team is going to start Rubio? Because there are many, many minutes for him here.

Anyone who tries but fails to get one of the big free agent PGs like CP3, Conley, Lowry, etc. Utah, New Orleans, Toronto, NYK, PHX are all looking. Dallas would love him too.

But yeah, he should be great if he buys into his role as third guard of a three guard rotation (well, three and a half since half of Okoro’s minutes were at the 2 last year).
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by jbk1234 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:33 am

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
WTF?!

Sure.

I'm still in shock, tho.

Anyone who tries but fails to get one of the big free agent PGs like CP3, Conley, Lowry, etc. Utah, New Orleans, Toronto, NYK, PHX are all looking. Dallas would love him too.

But yeah, he should be great if he buys into his role as third guard of a three guard rotation (well, three and a half since half of Okoro’s minutes were at the 2 last year).
I think Garland can play better off ball with a backcourt mate who actually looks to pass it to him, but I don't think the Cavs should have a three guard rotation. We're at the stage in this rebuild where we should have a legit backup PG and a legit backup SG. No more let's put Cedi on it and see how it goes.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#18 » by JonFromVA » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:32 am

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:That wasn't the question though. The question was which NBA team is going to start Rubio? Because there are many, many minutes for him here.

I think Garland can play better off ball with a backcourt mate who actually looks to pass it to him, but I don't think the Cavs should have a three guard rotation. We're at the stage in this rebuild where we should have a legit backup PG and a legit backup SG. No more let's put Cedi on it and see how it goes.

I kinda like the idea of the 3 guard rotation ... because it gives both Garland and Sexton an equal chance to learn from Rubio.

I also expect Isaac to be a lot better at guarding SF's than he was last year.

And with Allen and Mobley to erase mustakes ... our other players need to start playing very aggressive when on the ball. Rubio should be able to help with that too.

Of course trades may happen, maybe Windler doesn't get hurt, maybe JBB can't resist the temptation to play Nance at SF; but at the moment we have a lot more than 14 mpg for Rubio.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers