ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Giants 2021

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

tal57
Junior
And1: 93

Re: OT: Giants 2021 

Post#21 » by tal57 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:42 pm

mos_def wrote:So Scherzer wants to come to the west coast. Its not a bullpen but it is big ticket and would cost some prospects. Thoughts?

I'd do it just to keep him away from the Dodgers. Besides, I believe he is locked up for next year as well. Would perfectly replace Cueto
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#22 » by wco81 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:43 pm

He's 37 and would want maybe a year deal.

Yeah you can't trade prospects for rentals. There's talk of Kris Bryant, who's also in his contract year.

They said no on Bart being included in these trades.
tal57
Junior

Post#23 » by tal57 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:47 pm

wco81 wrote:He's 37 and would want maybe a year deal.

Yeah you can't trade prospects for rentals. There's talk of Kris Bryant, who's also in his contract year.

They said no on Bart being included in these trades.

My bad, Scherzer is on his last year. However, with the money coming off and the lack of starting pitching signed up for next year, they can resign him on the two year deal.
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#24 » by tarantism » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:16 pm

I could see including Bart in a Scherzer deal, but they did say they pulled his name from Kris Bryant negotiations.

It'll be worthwhile to get both, in my opinion. Left field has been unproductive this season, so Bryant slots right in as an impact guy immediately there. Scherzer wants an extension wherever he gets traded, so throwing in Bart should work fine considering Posey is having a great year and we have that other young catcher coming up the pipeline. Also, as somebody says, we should keep him from the Dodgers.

The Cubs also have that other reliever, I forget his name but he's cheap and adds an effective arm to the bullpen without breaking the bank.

If we come out of the deadline with Scherzer, Bryant and a solid reliever then I'm feeling good.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
michaelwarner
Junior
And1: 42

Post#25 » by michaelwarner » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:53 pm

Love the rumored deals. Would hate to lose Bart, Marco, Heliot or Matos for a possible rental.
wco81
RealGM

Post#26 » by wco81 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:09 pm

Giants win to take the serious, great start by Cueto.

Padres rumored to be getting Scherzer and Dodgers supposedly getting Duffy.
wco81
RealGM

Post#27 » by wco81 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:12 pm

Bryant would strictly be a rental. Former NL MVP and it would be his first crack at free agency. Scott Boras is his agent and he gets his clients into free agency.

Giants won't include Bart.
tarantism
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by tarantism » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:15 am

Dodgers throwing a ton of prospects to get Scherzer and Turner from Washington.

They are looking scary right now. Hopefully the Giants have a few moves in them.

Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
wco81
RealGM

Post#29 » by wco81 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:55 am

Seems like Zaidi isn't willing to give up any key prospects.

Some of the trades which have been made so far, teams like the Rays and Yankees haven't had to give up former first round pick prospects.

So one day left, it doesn't sound like they're going to do anything majors.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#30 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:21 pm

I don't want to go all in for this season so I'm glad the Giants are not trading away their farm system.
wco81
RealGM

Post#31 » by wco81 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:09 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:I don't want to go all in for this season so I'm glad the Giants are not trading away their farm system.

The risk is whether this kind of winning is sustainable.

Things might just be falling right for the Giants.

Also 2 or 3 of their top starters are free agents.

They have a lot of salary coming off the books but some of the contracts belong to players who are having good seasons such as Posey and Crawford.

So either replace or resign them and who knows if they will have the same production from those positions next year.

OTOH, every year they've show improvement since Zaidi took over so if he has some long term vision, he should be given a chance to execute it. It will only be like 2 full seasons after he took the reins.

They're on a pace to win over 100 games, so it's not some ungodly performance, though certainly way higher than the last 5 or 6 seasons.

He'll be able to clear the payroll if he makes a clean break from Posey, Crawford, Belt and I think Cueto is also in his last year.

Doesn't sound like he wants to make big splashes in free agency either since he could turn over half the roster, which he's constantly done but he hasn't replaced several everyday players and starters in one season.

I guess we may just enjoy the ride, likely with the team as-is, since the season's been a pleasant surprise.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#32 » by shazam_guy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:58 pm

I still get the shakes when our closers come in. I trust management -- Zaidi has done great stuff -- but I'd still like an actual closer for the playoffs. Or at least McGee to start throwing more breaking balls, just for my sake.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#33 » by Samurai » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:12 pm

tarantism wrote:Dodgers throwing a ton of prospects to get Scherzer and Turner from Washington.

They are looking scary right now. Hopefully the Giants have a few moves in them.

Dodgers are a classic example of why baseball needs a salary cap. Teams with unlimited wallets just have an unfair advantage over other teams. Wish the Giants could pick up another reliable late inning reliever.
tarantism
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by tarantism » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:09 pm

Giants are still in on Kris Bryant. An hour left until the deadline...not seeing them linked to any relievers currently. Maybe the emergence of Jay Jackson has them feeling a bit better about the back of the bullpen?

tal57
Junior

Post#35 » by tal57 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:40 pm

Samurai wrote:
tarantism wrote:Dodgers throwing a ton of prospects to get Scherzer and Turner from Washington.

Dodgers are a classic example of why baseball needs a salary cap. Teams with unlimited wallets just have an unfair advantage over other teams. Wish the Giants could pick up another reliable late inning reliever.

Giants have unlimited wallets. A lot of people don't realize how unlimited they are. The problem is not the unlimited wallets but the ownership structure and how it is set up to govern its disbursement.

The Giants do spend. The problem is there is the line they will not cross, called budget. Where the 30+ member of the ownership group has to be satisfied with the yearly return. If they spent the money to reward the past and that past is not producing, that's all she wrote. The Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees few others cross that line with no problem if they suddenly get into such situation. Not the Giants.

So they are in a very peculiar position. They can't add significant long tern contracts until they clear payroll, and don't want to pay competition premium for the rentals. Adding small pieces doesn't make sense either with all of their own guys coming from DL.

Granted, Zaidi had been great in dumpster diving and producing gems so far, just look at the starting pitching this year along with few bats. Maybe he likes that game so much and so confident in himself to keep the positive results, he wants to keep going at it. We'll see how it ends.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#36 » by FNQ » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:59 pm

Bryant is official
tarantism
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by tarantism » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:01 pm

Bryant!!

Samurai
General Manager

Post#38 » by Samurai » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:04 pm

Can't find a source as to who we gave up for Bryant. But he's the ideal position player for this team due to his defensive versatility and can play against both lefties (whom he kills) and righties.
tarantism
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by tarantism » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:11 pm

Samurai wrote:Can't find a source as to who we gave up for Bryant. But he's the ideal position player for this team due to his defensive versatility and can play against both lefties (whom he kills) and righties.
Yeah, he fits well. I know that this is supposed to be a rental but if the fit is good I think they should try to keep him in the Bay. There is a lot of money coming off the books this year and Bryant is only 29.

Regardless, let's hope this works out better than, say, Carlos Beltran did.

I'm a little perplexed that it seems they won't be adding a reliever.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#40 » by Samurai » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:13 pm

tarantism wrote:
Samurai wrote:Can't find a source as to who we gave up for Bryant. But he's the ideal position player for this team due to his defensive versatility and can play against both lefties (whom he kills) and righties.
Yeah, he fits well. I know that this is supposed to be a rental but if the fit is good I think they should try to keep him in the Bay. There is a lot of money coming off the books this year and Bryant is only 29.

Regardless, let's hope this works out better than, say, Carlos Beltran did.

Sounds like we gave up Bart and Wade for Bryant. Pretty steep price for a rental.

Return to Golden State Warriors