Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Re: OT: Giants 2021 

Post#41 » by tarantism » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:19 pm

Samurai wrote:
tarantism wrote:
Samurai wrote:Can't find a source as to who we gave up for Bryant. But he's the ideal position player for this team due to his defensive versatility and can play against both lefties (whom he kills) and righties.
Yeah, he fits well. I know that this is supposed to be a rental but if the fit is good I think they should try to keep him in the Bay. There is a lot of money coming off the books this year and Bryant is only 29.

Regardless, let's hope this works out better than, say, Carlos Beltran did.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app

Sounds like we gave up Bart and Wade for Bryant. Pretty steep price for a rental.
Oh man, Lamonte Wade was one of my favorite guys on the team.

Never been particularly fond of Bart.

Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#42 » by Samurai » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:20 pm

Samurai wrote:
tarantism wrote:
Samurai wrote:Can't find a source as to who we gave up for Bryant. But he's the ideal position player for this team due to his defensive versatility and can play against both lefties (whom he kills) and righties.
Yeah, he fits well. I know that this is supposed to be a rental but if the fit is good I think they should try to keep him in the Bay. There is a lot of money coming off the books this year and Bryant is only 29.

Sounds like we gave up Bart and Wade for Bryant. Pretty steep price for a rental.

Sounds like the tweet of Bart/Wade was not correct. There's another tweet from a Bob Nightengale saying SF gave up P Caleb Killian and OF Alexander Camargo. Haven't seen anything from the team to confirm.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#43 » by FNQ » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:21 pm

tarantism wrote:
Samurai wrote:
tarantism wrote:Yeah, he fits well. I know that this is supposed to be a rental but if the fit is good I think they should try to keep him in the Bay. There is a lot of money coming off the books this year and Bryant is only 29.

Its canario and killian
bballguy50
Veteran
And1: 108

Post#44 » by bballguy50 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:30 pm

Farhan with some BDE while keeping Bart. Also seeing multiple sauces saying Canario and Killian.
tarantism
Lead Assistant

Post#45 » by tarantism » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:32 pm

FNQ wrote:
tarantism wrote:
Samurai wrote:Sounds like we gave up Bart and Wade for Bryant. Pretty steep price for a rental.

Its canario and killian
Yep, I heard Killian is looking lights out but still, not our top prospects or a guy in Wade who looks like a great platoon piece at the least with the big club. Much better news.

Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
tarantism
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by tarantism » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:33 pm

Tony Watson coming back. We got a reliever after all.
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#47 » by mos_def » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:35 pm

I was hoping for Kimbrel cuz we need more pen help but im not going to complain about Bryant. We didnt give up the big 4 and Z has drafted alot of arms. If we can resign him is another story
Samurai
General Manager

Post#48 » by Samurai » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:51 pm

tarantism wrote:Tony Watson coming back. We got a reliever after all.

Kinda surprising since we already have three southpaws in McGee, Garcia, and Alvarez. Adding Watson makes it four lefties which seems like overkill. And I don't consider McGee or Rogers a true closer that I would trust in a playoff game.
tarantism
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by tarantism » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:02 pm

Samurai wrote:
tarantism wrote:Tony Watson coming back. We got a reliever after all.

Kinda surprising since we already have three southpaws in McGee, Garcia, and Alvarez. Adding Watson makes it four lefties which seems like overkill. And I don't consider McGee or Rogers a true closer that I would trust in a playoff game.
My thoughts exactly. Rogers I specifically do not trust. If his command is off he's throwing batting practice out there.

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#50 » by wco81 » Mon Aug 2, 2021 11:15 am

It will be interesting to see what kind of power Bryant will generate at AT&T.

I think the Giants aren't looking to pay him long term, especially the kind of money Boras is seeking.

He will be just over 30 on his next contract, so at most he will get 5 year deal?

Truth is his best years were his first couple of seasons. The last 3-4 seasons haven't been that great. And his OPS in the playoffs is much lower than in the regular season.

If he can show some power and show proficiency at 1B or LF, Giants might be tempted. Belt's salary is coming off the books but Longoria is still on the books for a couple more seasons at 3B.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#51 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Aug 2, 2021 3:36 pm

wco81 wrote:It will be interesting to see what kind of power Bryant will generate at AT&T.

I think the Giants aren't looking to pay him long term, especially the kind of money Boras is seeking.

He will be just over 30 on his next contract, so at most he will get 5 year deal?

Truth is his best years were his first couple of seasons. The last 3-4 seasons haven't been that great. And his OPS in the playoffs is much lower than in the regular season.

If he can show some power and show proficiency at 1B or LF, Giants might be tempted. Belt's salary is coming off the books but Longoria is still on the books for a couple more seasons at 3B.

Big year for him to earn a big contract. If he really earns it I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants pay it.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#52 » by shazam_guy » Mon Aug 2, 2021 7:46 pm

I'm fine with Bryant (though I would rather have traded for Kimbrel) and I'm glad to see Watson back, but Watson's not quite as useful with the three-batter minimum. Still, at least he's pretty reliable.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#53 » by Samurai » Mon Aug 2, 2021 7:53 pm

Was at yesterday's game against the Astros. Gotta admit that seeing Bryant's name in the #2 slot in between two high OBP lefties in Wade and Yaz, with hot hitters like Posey, Crawford and Ruf next, I was actually thinking 'wow, this is a pretty decent lineup'!
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#54 » by wco81 » Mon Aug 2, 2021 8:02 pm

They're going to need to replace Belt.

I don't know if Farhan will try to re-sign Crawford, who's having a career year but mostly has been a zero at the plate his career. Posey is also having a resurgence but it's also his last year as well.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by shazam_guy » Mon Aug 2, 2021 8:02 pm

And considering that three of our biggest bangers this year in terms of power, Yaz, Wade, and Ruf, were all basically castoffs, shows that Zaidi-ball is working just fine, thank you very much. It's been fun.

Can't wait to see what happens when we have Longoria and Belt back. That's a lot of pop. Who'd have ever guessed the Giants would be leading the league in homers? (Note: closing off the right field wind tunnel seems to have made a huge difference at AT&T.)
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by shazam_guy » Mon Aug 2, 2021 8:09 pm

Have to disagree with wco81 -- no offense intended -- but Crawford is no way a zero at the plate. He's lifetime .250-ish with 20+ doubles every year, plus an average of double-digit homers. That's not good-field/no-hit, that's at worst an average MLB hitter with good power, and if you get that with Gold Glove fielding, you're in excellent shape at shortstop.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#57 » by Samurai » Mon Aug 2, 2021 8:41 pm

wco81 wrote:They're going to need to replace Belt.

I don't know if Farhan will try to re-sign Crawford, who's having a career year but mostly has been a zero at the plate his career. Posey is also having a resurgence but it's also his last year as well.

I think they will let Belt walk. I can see them trying to re-sign Posey and Crawford (especially Posey; he's the closest thing to a Curry-esque icon the team has) but for shorter and cheaper contracts. Both Posey and Crawford have families and they may be very comfortable with their lifestyle and neighborhoods. Crawford is a Bay Area native, grew up a Giants fan, and I think his folks still live in Pleasanton so he may prefer to stick around for less money. Estrada has looked impressive as a potential replacement at SS but there will be some big FA names available there if the Giants want to break open the piggy bank (Baez, Correa, Story, Seager).
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by shazam_guy » Mon Aug 2, 2021 9:25 pm

I might be wrong but I think Buster's neighborhood is in Georgia.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#59 » by Coxy » Wed Aug 4, 2021 1:03 am

I just put a bet on the Giants win against Arizona, today with Cueto getting 3 strikeouts, and Bryant to record a hit.

What are my chances here people? The MLB isn't exactly my bag o chips.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#60 » by Samurai » Wed Aug 4, 2021 1:08 am

shazam_guy wrote:I might be wrong but I think Buster's neighborhood is in Georgia.

Right, he used to live in Georgia during the off-season but now lives in the East Bay year round.

Return to Golden State Warriors