Welcome to OKC Josh Giddey!

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

namlede
Sophomore
And1: 112

Welcome to OKC Josh Giddey! 

Post#1 » by namlede » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:33 pm

really like this pick. He needs to work on his body and shooting, but he has a few things you can't teach...innate feel for the game, passing skills and height.

His bball iq makes Kuminga and Bouknight look like elementary players. 18 year old who made a strong impact in a men's league. Very confident on the court.

look forward to watch him develop

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,201

Re: Welcome to OKC Josh Giddey! 

Post#2 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:39 pm

It is nice to have a player that seems to genuinely want to be here.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#3 » by spearsy23 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:21 pm

I feel like every guy we draft is always excited to be here. It's clearly a necessity for getting on presti's draft board
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#4 » by bondom34 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:30 pm

Count me in as being intrigued. A secondary playmaker with some size next to SGA seems like something that really could be fun and a solid fit.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,076

Post#5 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:32 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

That's a badass number for someone his size.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:48 pm

I don’t really see the Joe Ingles comps. Anyways, this is a fun video to sell yourself on the pick. Just ignore the dunk where he bounces his face off the court.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
timO
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Post#7 » by timO » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:10 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:I don’t really see the Joe Ingles comps. Anyways, this is a fun video to sell yourself on the pick. Just ignore the dunk where he bounces his face off the court.

its like ben simmons with a jump shoot :o
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:14 pm

timO wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I don’t really see the Joe Ingles comps. Anyways, this is a fun video to sell yourself on the pick. Just ignore the dunk where he bounces his face off the court.

its like ben simmons with a jump shoot :o

Ben might be just a tad better defensively.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#9 » by spearsy23 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:46 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:I don’t really see the Joe Ingles comps. Anyways, this is a fun video to sell yourself on the pick. Just ignore the dunk where he bounces his face off the court. e]

Looks really comfortable going left for a righty. Almost seems to prefer it.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:16 pm

Read on Twitter
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,049

Post#11 » by slick_watts » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:09 pm

spearsy23 wrote:I feel like every guy we draft is always excited to be here. It's clearly a necessity for getting on presti's draft board

not sure if you're joking but it does seem like he might be selecting for traits which could insulate these players from temptations. giddey, maledon, dort, pokesevski... none of them are going to leave okc to play for their home team. even sga to some extent, he's not from the u.s. terrance ferguson had ties to oklahoma, so does josh giddey. darius bazley didn't attend college so no real player relationships developed for him prior to him joining okc.

maybe i'm wrong and this is nothing but even qualitatively, it appears he's selecting for a certain personality as well.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#12 » by spearsy23 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:06 am

slick_watts wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:I feel like every guy we draft is always excited to be here. It's clearly a necessity for getting on presti's draft board

not sure if you're joking but it does seem like he might be selecting for traits which could insulate these players from temptations. giddey, maledon, dort, pokesevski... none of them are going to leave okc to play for their home team. even sga to some extent, he's not from the u.s. terrance ferguson had ties to oklahoma, so does josh giddey. darius bazley didn't attend college so no real player relationships developed for him prior to him joining okc.

maybe i'm wrong and this is nothing but even qualitatively, it appears he's selecting for a certain personality as well.

I absolutely believe it's playing a part on his board. I think it has been since the domas draft.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,544

Post#13 » by Devilanche » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:38 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter

There’s our C
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
DaBolden76
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#14 » by DaBolden76 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:18 am

Giddey was one of the best players in the NBL who created easy buckets in the paint. OKC just need to find a similar player to Isaac Humphries who was a mobile C for the 36ers.
K3nny Pow3rs
Senior
And1: 707

Post#15 » by K3nny Pow3rs » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:55 pm

Obviously he's a lot taller but he moves a bit like John Stockton, changes direction very swiftly and lots of hesitation dribble.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#16 » by Old Man Game » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:26 pm

slick_watts wrote:

It's 100% this. My theory is he has a certain amount of unconscious contempt for this community. He goes out of his way to get kids that have faces he thinks the fanbase will be more apt to warm up to (Steven, Domas, Poku, Giddey, Mitch, Cole) because he thinks we're a bunch of hicks.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app
WestbrookGOATed
Veteran
And1: 2,382

Post#17 » by WestbrookGOATed » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:11 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
slick_watts wrote:

It's 100% this. My theory is he has a certain amount of unconscious contempt for this community. He goes out of his way to get white kids that have faces he thinks the fanbase will be more apt to warm up to (Steven, Domas, Poku, Giddey, Mitch, Cole) because he thinks we're a bunch of racist hicks.

Egg I feel like you're looking a bit too much into it. OKC adored Russ and KD(until he ditched us). I feel like he's definitely just picking guys that have no ties to big markets that are gonna
end up demanding a trade or walking in FA. After the past several years we've seen more than a couple of players either force their way to their preferred destination/home team, or go there in FA. None of the guys we have are going to do that. They are highly likely to stay in OKC.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Old Man Game » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:38 pm

Best2EverDoIt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
slick_watts wrote:

It's 100% this. My theory is he has a certain amount of unconscious contempt for this community. He goes out of his way to get white kids that have faces he thinks the fanbase will be more apt to warm up to (Steven, Domas, Poku, Giddey, Mitch, Cole) because he thinks we're a bunch of racist hicks.

Egg I feel like you're looking a bit too much into it. OKC adored Russ and KD(until he ditched us). I feel like he's definitely just picking guys that have no ties to big markets that are gonna
end up demanding a trade or walking in FA. After the past several years we've seen more than a couple of players either force their way to their preferred destination/home team, or go there in FA. None of the guys we have are going to do that. They are highly likely to stay in OKC.
All right I withdraw that comment about the racist thing.

Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#19 » by Old Man Game » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:01 pm

I feel more excited about this guy after watching his press conference today. Impressive dude. Young, good size, good basketball IQ.

kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 535

Post#20 » by kdthunderup » Sun Aug 1, 2021 3:24 am

I’m warming more to this pick the more I’ve had time to look into it. Giddey has a skillset that is probably the hardest ones for players to develop or improve and tends to be something that just comes naturally. Having an extremely high basketball IQ and passing game will help him always be productive on the court.

Things like shooting and handling are something that you can develop with enough hard work. People also are making it out like he will be exposed athletically. I’d say he has better athleticism than Doncic who has no issues scoring at an NBA level.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder