ImageImageImageImageImage

With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,213

With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#1 » by niQ » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:21 am

Continued from
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2108267&start=2020

Read on Twitter
/photo/1
blastttOFF
General Manager
And1: 8,803

Re: With the 4th Pick, the Raptors select Scottie Barnes! Part 2 

Post#2 » by blastttOFF » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:25 am

Scottie Barnes will be our Vladdy
EarlyRaptor
Junior
And1: 594

Post#3 » by EarlyRaptor » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:25 am

Scottie got me hyped AF
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,034

Post#4 » by HumbleRen » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:28 am

Bout to be a fun summer league team to watch.
Steven1562
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,180

Post#5 » by Steven1562 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:28 am

Loved that it was straight to the gym for Scottie today.
Any time y'all wanna see me again
Rewind this track right here, close your eyes
and picture me rollin

Scottie Barnes Believer.
Risk101
General Manager
And1: 19,143

Post#6 » by Risk101 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:29 am

mintsa
Head Coach
And1: 3,745

Post#7 » by mintsa » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:32 am

Just give me some summer league games. I know it’s summer league but I can see things during those games that will make me change my opinion on this pick……and fast.
UnderdogRaptors
RealGM
And1: 44,305

Post#8 » by UnderdogRaptors » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:34 am

Why do some fans think it was a huge reach lol he was projected as #5 and Orl would have taken him if we took suggs. Barnes will be better
BC_IS_A_PLAYA wrote:jonas sucks, his dad should have got a vasectomy
RealGM
And1: 66,480

Post#9 » by 720 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:34 am

I need summer league to get here so I can mentally get over the risk we took not picking Suggs. Barnes playing with our uni on should help a little.
RealGM

Post#10 » by 720 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:35 am

UnderdogRaptors wrote:Why do some fans think it was a huge reach lol he was projected as #5 and Orl would have taken him if we took suggs. Barnes will be better

Because it's a drop off in talent level after 4. With that being said I'm rooting for Barnes now and hope he proves everyone wrong.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,718

Post#11 » by BoyzNTheHood » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:39 am

720 wrote:
UnderdogRaptors wrote:Why do some fans think it was a huge reach lol he was projected as #5 and Orl would have taken him if we took suggs. Barnes will be better

Because it's a drop off in talent level after 4. With that being said I'm rooting for Barnes now and hope he proves everyone wrong.

The thing is, if Barnes was a projected top-3 pick all season the majority of us would be over the moon with this pick from the moment Adam Silver said it. And for all we know Scottie was top-3 on the Raptors board all season. It's all about perspective.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
UnderdogRaptors
RealGM
And1: 44,305

Post#12 » by UnderdogRaptors » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:41 am

720 wrote:

Tbh you can never have enough big wings who can defend at an elite level and he's still so young with room to grow on the offensive end. Suggs didn't really impress me from the vids I seen.
BC_IS_A_PLAYA wrote:jonas sucks, his dad should have got a vasectomy
raptors2019
Analyst
And1: 5,871

Post#13 » by raptors2019 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:41 am

OG and Barnes is gonna be fun to watch lol
RealGM

Post#14 » by 720 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:42 am

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
720 wrote:

The thing is, if Barnes was a projected top-3 pick all season the majority of us would be over the moon with this pick from the moment Adam Silver said it. And for all we know Scottie was top-3 on the Raptors board all season. It's all about perspective.

Not really, you can actually see both guys and what they produced and the success they had with their teams and what not. It's not about mocks.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,267

Post#15 » by Raps in 4 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:45 am

UnderdogRaptors wrote:
720 wrote:

Tbh you can never have enough big wings who can defend at an elite level and he's still so young with room to grow on the offensive end. Suggs didn't really impress me from the vids I seen.

At some point, you need a player on the team who can score. The Raptors still haven't found that player.
Odie29
Ballboy
And1: 59

Post#16 » by Odie29 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:45 am

NGL a little worried we are all in on this defensive upside team yet we still lack a rim protector and rebounder- the 2 most essential elements of defense imo. Love the kids size and athleticism but he has not shown much in terms of being a big time rebounder or rim protector- wondering if this was usage based or just not his game. Looks like more of a Pascal quick feet athlete than explosive athlete capable of blocking shots and rebounding around the rim.

The shot will be crucial but mostly in terms of taking his playmaking to the next level. If defenders can't sag off him will open up his ability to make plays but I don't ever see him as a scorer. He has said himself PG is his most comfortable position- you can teach a passer to shoot but he will still be wired to pass first. It's very hard to re wire a player this way as it's simply their instincts. With that said hes more of a smart passer than creative passer- if he was shorter his passing would be graded as just good as they are very simple passes just rare for a guy his size. He's not Ben Simmons in this regard

Overall I see his biggest attribute as switching onto smaller defenders. It's important in today's game but unsure if that skill alone was worthy of this selection. He is obviously great in transition as well. He has a very high dribble and fumbles the ball alot when making moves. I'll keep an open mind but not gonna project on hope but more what I can see (the Giannis Marion Pippen stuff is beyond wild- feel bad for him if he's coming in with these expectations on him). Watching him develop over time will be interesting and I acknowledge the upside is there but he has a long way to go.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,267

Post#17 » by Raps in 4 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:46 am

Risk101 wrote:Image

Has a player ever been this excited to get picked by us?
MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Post#18 » by MavCarter » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:46 am

720 wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:
720 wrote:Because it's a drop off in talent level after 4. With that being said I'm rooting for Barnes now and hope he proves everyone wrong.

Not really, you can actually see both guys and what they produced and the success they had with their teams and what not. It's not about mocks.

I refused to read all of it but pre draft someone posted advanced data pulled from a site with full breakdowns using charts etc that showed suggs and barnes being pretty comparable production wise so idk if that narrative is true
#Enjoytheride
Lukeem
Analyst
And1: 2,577

Post#19 » by Lukeem » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:47 am

raptors2019 wrote:OG and Barnes is gonna be fun to watch lol

Not for opposition.

How many players in the league can guard 1-5… which og might be the best at it the league.

Barnes has a little more size and an impressive lane agility + what he’s done in games suggests he has a chance to be competing with og for that title.

Everyone is worried about the offence and rightfully so since as long as we have those two are defence can be elite.

But if siakim plays close to pre bubble spicy levels which he showed at times this past year too. Fvv and og make modest even minor gains and Scottie just works on his shot our offence will have a chance to be great too
Blood Orange
Sixth Man
And1: 2,795

Post#20 » by Blood Orange » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:48 am

Suggs gonna take it personal when he goes head to head with Barnes. Can't wait to see that!

Return to Toronto Raptors