Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,516

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1581 » by Devilanche » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:51 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
I guess for me I think anybody who is mad we didn't draft sengun should be happy we drafted jre

Why do you say that? They appear to be totally different in all regards, no?

He probably counting them as bigs . If we are only going to add 3-4 rookies and the rest are all guards.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#1582 » by Devilanche » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:53 pm

Old Man Game wrote:I know very little about JRE but what I've seen is sort of underwhelming. 6'9" with the same wingspan probably isn't exactly going to be a defensive terror. What am I missing?

Supposedly high floor ? So we can let the team play in a more structured way without everyone playing off each other mistakes ?

Idk . I thought we were going younger with our picks
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,168

Post#1583 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:02 am

Read on Twitter
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,284

Post#1584 » by Old Man Game » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:04 am

Devilanche wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:I know very little about JRE but what I've seen is sort of underwhelming. 6'9" with the same wingspan probably isn't exactly going to be a defensive terror. What am I missing?

Supposedly high floor ? So we can let the team play in a more structured way without everyone playing off each other mistakes ?

Is he supposed to be good offensively? Jay Bilas would just say "I love his pick and roll defense" and that was about it after the pick last night on the ESPN broadcast.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#1585 » by Old Man Game » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:05 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter

Like, what's the best case comp? He seems like a low ceiling low floor sort of selection.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#1586 » by Devilanche » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:10 am

Old Man Game wrote:
Devilanche wrote:

Is he supposed to be good offensively? Jay Bilas would just say "I love his pick and roll defense" and that was about it after the pick last night on the ESPN broadcast.

If draft expert knows that little about him , I doubt any of us know anything about him
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#1587 » by spearsy23 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:12 am

Old Man Game wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
I guess for me I think anybody who is mad we didn't draft sengun should be happy we drafted jre

In some ways, but the underlying idea behind drafting Sengun is that, regardless of the athletic and size limitations, players who are smart/skilled/ good at basketball are going to figure out how to continue being good at basketball. JRE is that player, even if it's in different ways.

Not that they are on the same level, but if we're talking pick 32 vs 16.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1588 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:29 am

Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter

Like, what's the best case comp? He seems like a low ceiling low floor sort of selection.

I sometimes do player comps but i honestly hate them. Giddey is young with some interesting skills. There just isn’t any way to know. That’s part of the fun. Trying to figure it out right now is just impossible. If he fixes his weaknesses, I think he could be an all star. Is that likely? The ringer’s median outcome said at six we are likely to draft a player the level of Nerlens or WCS.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#1589 » by bondom34 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:34 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter

I sometimes do player comps but i honestly hate them. Giddey is young with some interesting skills. There just isn’t any way to know. That’s part of the fun. Trying to figure it out right now is just impossible. If he fixes his weaknesses, I think he could be an all star. Is that likely? The ringer’s median outcome said at six we are likely to draft a player the level of Nerlens or WCS.

Lonzo is I think the best I've heard that I think fits. I think he's actually fairly high floor, was playing well in a professional league already.

Edit: Pretty sure he led the NBL in assists. And I think he rated out well in that model that was posted a few days ago from ESPN. Not sure if that comp is great either but if thats similar to what he is (and the playmaking might be there) it would be a nice fit.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#1590 » by Old Man Game » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:37 am

spearsy23 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:

In some ways, but the underlying idea behind drafting Sengun is that, regardless of the athletic and size limitations, players who are smart/skilled/ good at basketball are going to figure out how to continue being good at basketball. JRE is that player, even if it's in different ways.

Not that they are on the same level, but if we're talking pick 32 vs 16.

Oh I agree with the general premise there that players who know how to play are worth picking regardless of measurements. I just brought up the measurements because I wasn't seeing that he looked otherwise special so I assumed there was something I was missing in terms of his game.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1591 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:42 am

Apparantly Knicks wanted Tre at 19, per Ian Bagley.

Read on Twitter
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#1592 » by spearsy23 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:08 am

JRE we supposedly had to move up or lose, And warriors reportedly wanted giddey, so definitely doesn't feel like we reached anywhere. Might not work out, but at least they weren't obviously bad value picks anywhere.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#1593 » by spearsy23 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:16 am

Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter

Best case is probably whatever lamelo might be, right?
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 533

Post#1594 » by kdthunderup » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:23 am

Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter

I’d argue that he actually has a high floor and would be very surprised if he doesn’t have a very productive career. He was productive in the NBL which is better for evaluating transition to the NBA than college.

Extremely High IQ, hard worker, will definitely be one of the best playmakers in the NBA. Lead the NBL in assists which is really strong league with less spacing than NBA. LaMelo struggled a lot in the NBL and put up better numbers when he got to the NBA (efficiency wise).

Albeit saying that, I don’t think he has top 20 potential. I think his ceiling is someone like Conley who may is a borderline all star guy. His athleticism will ultimately limit him from reaching a superstar level.

I think he can work really well as your 3rd best player. I see him working well in the backcourt with SGA who I would argue you don’t want as your best playmaker if you have championship aspirations. If we could get an elite scoring wing (sf/pf) and a mobile centre that would really set this team up with all the pieces it needs.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#1595 » by Old Man Game » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:11 am

spearsy23 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter

I just wondered because I kept seeing stuff saying bad shooter and defender but great passer which sounds like a guy who could bust pretty easily.

I like the pick alright for the record just based on those same stats based models liking him that liked Sengun.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1596 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:48 am

Old Man Game wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:

I just wondered because I kept seeing stuff saying bad shooter and defender but great passer which sounds like a guy who could bust pretty easily.

I like the pick alright for the record just based on those same stats based models liking him that liked Sengun.

It’s a pretty small sample size but I read that in his first 7 games of the season went 2/20 from three, then 27/79 to finish out the year. It is possible he made some improvement and maybe the 34% is somewhat more accurate for a baseline. That’s not great, but maybe there is some potential there.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#1597 » by bondom34 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:51 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:Best case is probably whatever lamelo might be, right?

It’s a pretty small sample size but I read that in his first 7 games of the season went 2/20 from three, then 27/79 to finish out the year. It is possible he made some improvement and maybe the 34% is somewhat more accurate for a baseline. That’s not great, but maybe there is some potential there.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/players/josh-giddey-1/gamelog/2021/nbl-australia/

Yep, started terribly. Last 2 games were randomly bad too, but think I remember Schlect saying on Thunder After Dark it was something he even addressed during interviews.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 906

Post#1598 » by retrobro90 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:07 am

Think I'm higher on JRE than the consensus here. He wouldn't have been my pick at #32 especially with some crazy value plays there at guard/forward with Mcbride/Butler/Cooper/Dosunmu/Herb Jones/Thor still available but he fits that Nova mold of someone who's gonna step in and understand how to fill a role quickly. Feels like we have 2 Kenrich Williams' now.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 906

Post#1599 » by retrobro90 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:28 am

Mann seems very boom or bust to me. I don't see him ever being a good defender and even though he's a great shooter I don't see his game as a role player who consistently plays off the ball and sprints off pin downs a la seth curry/reddick etc. Think the value is there if he's on the ball and given the green light to shoot pull ups especially w his range.
Mr Thunder Nick
Junior
And1: 86

Post#1600 » by Mr Thunder Nick » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:27 am

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder