Epic Rebuild Draft: Green + Sengun + Garuba + Christopher

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,399

Epic Rebuild Draft: Green + Sengun + Garuba + Christopher 

Post#1 » by Bensational » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:09 am

I feel like a GM is living out one of my NBA 2K draft dreams here. That combo of players is such a phenomenal foundation to start a new era with.

Big congratulations on the new faces, I think you're in for special things.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,748

Re: Epic Rebuild Draft: Green + Sengun + Garuba + Christopher 

Post#2 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:31 am

Amazing draft, you may think Sengun has low ceiling, but I will say, put any player from this draft in a good Turkish league this past season, and almost none of them, even the great ones from this draft, couldnt habe had a better season that Sengun's, and he is one of the youngest players in the draft, that should mean something. Kid is a wonderkind plain and simple, I know how great Modley is, but I honestly believe Sengun can be best big out of this draft easily, wouldnt be surprised at all. So you basically get your star guard, and potentially star big in one draft.

Garuba is a guy who will never be a star, but his defensive IQ for such a young player is genius, Most prospects, even great defensive prospects, kinda dont know what they are doing on d at that age, where Garuba IMO was already one of the best defenders in Spain and Euroleague.
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,503

Post#3 » by HardenGoat » Wed Aug 4, 2021 7:47 pm

Draft was a slam dunk for all the reasons stated
YoungMoney23
Starter
And1: 138

Post#4 » by YoungMoney23 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 7:55 pm

They must really love Sengun to give up 2 draft picks for him
A Blog on the unsolved - http://coldcasefiles.wordpress.com/
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#5 » by K_chile22 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 5:54 am

YoungMoney23 wrote:They must really love Sengun to give up 2 draft picks for him
Not very often you see an analytical darling (look at Peltons model, nobody else got even half of his score, runaway number one) that "draft Twitter" liked so little. Players that do what he did just don't fail. Period. I am concerned about him as a playoff player if he's still on the team when they get to that point, but I'm really confident he'll be a good regular season player.

But what are the odds they both convey as firsts? Id say the Pistons one is very likely, like 80%-85%, but feels like the Wizards will fall apart any day now, so I'd put them at like 25%, so that's like a 20-23% based on my random estimates that it actually is two firsts, but many will think the odds there are different than I
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#6 » by K_chile22 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 4:31 pm

Since I'm bored at work, going to give my takes on all four guys that no one asked for:

Jalen Green: I had him second on my personal board but same tier as mobley, others I really respect had mobley a tier above, but I just have a lot of concerns about him actually being able to package his gifts into a way that makes him a superstar (for example, ton of his passing in college was off double teams.. he's never going to be doubled in the NBA unless he just becomes some scoring dynamo that he's never been), because if you think a big will just be a really good starter, you don't pick him 2nd because bigs have the highest replacement value in the league, you don't want to pay big money on good starter level bigs, just stars. Green is a playmaking wing who's going to score a ton of points, think his handle is severely underrated, and he has some upside defensively and in terms of passing. LaVine is a lazy comp imo he's more like Beal but bigger and crazy athletic

Alperen Sengun: Guys with his statistical profile in a big time league just don't fail. Period. I'd be absolutely shocked if he wasn't at least a good 8th man in a rotation level in a few years during the regular season, which is a high floor for 16th overall. Issues come in the playoffs. I think he's better as a drop big than many give him credit for, but any other defensive scheme he'll probably get cooked in PnR, and if that's the case, hard to see him not get attacked in the playoffs.

Usman Garuba: Absolutely love this one. You just don't see guys that young have this level of feel on defense. Watching him guard two players as the help man is incredible for someone his age. Offense is a big work in progress. I think his jumper just needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. Just launches the ball. Really good passer and screener, but that's about all he has going for him right now. If he can shoot well enough to be a starting four instead of a smallball center it unlocks a bunch of really interesting lineups and he becomes an ideal fit next to Sengun.

Joshua Christopher: Unlike the other guys, pretty low floor here. In HS and college he was a high usage scoring guard, but to succeed in the nba that usage is going to have to come way down and he will have to settle into a 3&D-plus role like a lesser Jrue Holiday. He can be a great on the ball defender but his consistency and effort on that end waned in college (not uncommon for guys like him) and his shot selection was really bad, but I like the risk here. It's easier to teach a guy shot selection, playing within a role, and get him to stay consistent on D than it is to teach someone the tools he has (length, athleticism, anticipation, shot creation, shooting). Think he's a better shooter than the % shows because of his shot selection and he tried to draw so many of those James Harden kick your foot out and fall down fouls from three. FT% is a great indicator for his shot as well.
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#7 » by K_chile22 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 3:39 am

Green looked great in his SL debut. Sengun was good, blew some layups which is not like him. Christopher had some highs and some lows, roller coaster game for him

Return to Houston Rockets