ImageImageImageImageImage

Are Lakers (3pt) shooters cursed?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

RxOne
Ballboy
And1: 67

Are Lakers (3pt) shooters cursed? 

Post#1 » by RxOne » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:42 pm

Thinking about filling out the team with shooters this off-season, and I'm asking myself, "Does it even matter"?

From Glenn Rice to Danny Green, we have a history of signing sharpshooters that fall off of a cliff as soon as they put on the Purple and Gold.

Especially given Vogel's unwillingness to play anyone who doesn't D up, and the likelihood that our defensive intensity may drain shooters legs/arms, are we cursed to live with mediocre/poor shooting?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Re: Are Lakers shooters cursed? 

Post#2 » by tamaraw08 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:10 pm

RxOne wrote:Thinking about filling out the team with shooters this off-season, and I'm asking myself, "Does it even matter"?

From Glenn Rice to Danny Green, we have a history of signing sharpshooters that fall off of a cliff as soon as they put on the Purple and Gold.

Especially given Vogel's unwillingness to play anyone who doesn't D up, and the likelihood that our defensive intensity may drain shooters legs/arms, are we cursed to live with mediocre/poor shooting?

the title thread sounds silly but actually is a valid one.
Reggie Bullock shot nearly 39% from 3 before trading for him then just averared 34% here. :-?
Ball struggled here then got better in New Orleans.
Same with Ingram who shot under 33% here now shooting 38.6 in NO.
Same with Clarkson who shot 33% here to 35% in Utah.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,653

Post#3 » by dockingsched » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:43 pm

Danny Green career 42.2% 3pt shooter fell off a cliff and shot 41.6% with the Lakers?
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,751

Post#4 » by ROballer » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:00 pm

I was convinced the answer is yes when Jason Kapono shot .296 as a Laker.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
RxOne
Ballboy

Post#5 » by RxOne » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:18 pm

dockingsched wrote:Danny Green career 42.2% 3pt shooter fell off a cliff and shot 41.6% with the Lakers?

*Career 40%, Previous year 46%, as a Laker 37%, In the bubble 33%.

Danny Green dropped 4% off his career avg and 9% from the previous year, then dropped another 3% for the Lakers in the bubble.

Not all cliffs are equal, but shooting 46% in Toronto to 33% for us in the bubble qualifies.

Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,830

Re: Are Lakers (3pt) shooters cursed? 

Post#6 » by Beethoven » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:06 pm

That is why i rather have Westbrook over buddy heild as Westbrook brings more to the table once their 3pt disappears after joining our team.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
RxOne
Ballboy

Post#7 » by RxOne » Thu Sep 2, 2021 5:34 pm

tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#8 » by tamaraw08 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 3:26 pm

I really think we all have to take a larger sample size to have a better idea if these players are really good shooters or not and not the just the previous year they played.
Dennis Schroder shot 38% from 3 before the Lakers traded for him and look what happened.
Troy Daniels also shot 38% in Phoenix and just shot under 35%.
Danny Green shot 45% from 3 in Toronto, we all know what happened.
Quinn Cook shot 40.5% before the Lakers acquired him then just shot 36.5%
Reggie Bullock shot 39% before they traded for him, then just shot 34%.
Malik Monk shot poorly the first 2 years and got better in his contract year and Charlotte passed, what's their reason?
Bazemore also shot well but just played 20 mins, why?
Ellington seems to be the most consistently good shooter, but we'll see.
heezyo2o
Starter
And1: 1,255

Post#9 » by heezyo2o » Wed Sep 8, 2021 9:19 pm

Hope I'm wrong, but Ellington might disappoint. People say he was good in Detroit, but I remember him on a bad lakers team and wasn't impressed. I think Monk can build off last season and be a consistent 3 pt shooter.
scoobs07
Starter
And1: 82

Post#10 » by scoobs07 » Thu Sep 9, 2021 7:22 pm

I predict Nunn will have a career year from three, shooting 40-42%
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#11 » by LAL1947 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:42 am

The 3-PT shooters are not cursed. It's Lebron as a passer since he got here. Players' 3-PT% drops because he makes passes that lil bit later than others, allowing defenders to be that little bit closer... and they're not well weighted passes more often than not. The play-making he does is great at his size and he generates chances with his other skills, while making some spectacular passes at times... but I'm talking strictly about the consistent quality of the passes being delivered. Hope I'm able to make a distinction between play-making and passing here, before you come at me for this take.

Contrast this with Luka, who has raised the 3-PT% of all shooters on his team. Well, don't quote me on this but I remember seeing stats being displayed during games when all of the Mavs' main rotation were shooting around 40%... and up from their previous seasons.

Perhaps, this gets resolved to some extent with Westbrook as PG. Perhaps, it might not. Russ has his own reputation.
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#12 » by tamaraw08 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:02 pm

LAL1947 wrote:The 3-PT shooters are not cursed. It's Lebron as a passer. Players' 3-PT% drops with the ball in Lebron's hands because he makes passes that lil bit later allowing defenders to be that little bit closer, his passes are that little bit further away from the ideal position for the receiver, and are less than perfectly weighted. He gets called the best passer in the league but he's not, although he's very good. The play-making he does is great at his size, and he generates so many chances with his other skills, while making some spectacular passes at times... but I'm talking strictly about the consistent quality of the passes being delivered. Hope I'm able to make a distinction between play-making and passing here, before you come at me for this take.

Contrast this with Luka, who has raised the 3-PT% of all shooters on his team. Well, don't quote me on this but I remember seeing stats being displayed during games when all of their main rotation were shooting around 40%... and up from their previous seasons.

Perhaps, this gets resolved to some extent with Westbrook as PG. Perhaps, it might not. Russ has his own reputation.

2015, Lebron's team ranked 7th in 3pt shooting,
2016, his team was 2nd best in 3pt shooting,
'17= 6th best, so what changed?
Is it Tyrone Lue? Clippers ranked 1st in 3pt shooting, but then again, Before he got there they ranked 6th.
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#13 » by chefy » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:51 am

very underrated aspect of basketball is it's mental side.

dwight drains 3 point shots in practices like hes curry.

my point.

imagine being signed by the biggest franchise in nba/sports...and your sole purpose is to be the floor spacer/3&D/shooter for Kobe, Lebron, Shaq.

funny thing is, its usually the up and coming and unknown shooters that do good with us.

sasha, brian cook, ariza (wasn't known for his shooting before joining us), caruso

Return to Los Angeles Lakers