Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Re: Shams: Pacers acquire Isaiah Jackson for Aaron and #31 

Post#61 » by 8305 » Sun Aug 1, 2021 5:38 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
8305 wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:I believe this

TJ's pretty great, I've said plenty of good things about him in the two years he's been a Pacer

But there are two problems I have with him

One, he is a bit of a mirage, he's not as good as his highlights make him look. I LOVE watching him hustle and craftily swipe the ball away from the opponent. But for all the extra possessions that he gains the team with his steals, he also gives away too many easy points by not boxing out or recognizing when to switch. He's best used as a nitro boost off the bench, he's not someone who want to play 30+ mpg

Two, his lack of shooting is something that can be exploited by the opponent in the playoffs. He's someone who will help the team win regular season games, which has value don't get me wrong, but you ideally want to have 8 better players ahead of him on your roster when it comes to the playoffs

Aaron, if he had lived up to his potential and turned out to be someone like FVV for us would have put the team in a much better situation

Would be interesting to see the resulting Pacer team had we kept Thad Young at the expense of signing Lamb and TJ.

I think Sabonis would’ve forced his way out before his rookie contract ended, if that was the case. There was a report that if Thad was re-signed, it had to have been to start, or play major minutes, and Sabonis would’ve refused to extend. And McMillan wasn’t excited about starting Sabonis but was kind of resigned to it. If we had kept Thad, I’m sure he would’ve found any reason to start Thad.

Or Pacers would have had to make the call on Sabonis vs Turner sooner. Not sure that would have been a bad thing?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Post#62 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Aug 1, 2021 5:51 pm

8305 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
8305 wrote:
Would be interesting to see the resulting Pacer team had we kept Thad Young at the expense of signing Lamb and TJ.

I think Sabonis would’ve forced his way out before his rookie contract ended, if that was the case. There was a report that if Thad was re-signed, it had to have been to start, or play major minutes, and Sabonis would’ve refused to extend. And McMillan wasn’t excited about starting Sabonis but was kind of resigned to it. If we had kept Thad, I’m sure he would’ve found any reason to start Thad.

Or Pacers would have had to make the call on Sabonis vs Turner sooner. Not sure that would have been a bad thing?

We also would’ve still had the massive issue that we had learned from the two previous years: Sabonis and Thad couldn’t effectively share the court, either.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#63 » by Tom White » Sun Aug 1, 2021 7:30 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:We also would’ve still had the massive issue that we had learned from the two previous years: Sabonis and Thad couldn’t effectively share the court, either.

I've said before that it is tougher to fit players around Sabonis than it is to fit players around others like Turner.

If the team decides to move away from the Sabonis & Turner pairing, they may be better off trying to move Sabonis.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#64 » by 8305 » Mon Aug 2, 2021 2:52 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
8305 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

We also would’ve still had the massive issue that we had learned from the two previous years: Sabonis and Thad couldn’t effectively share the court, either.

Were Thad and Sabonis any less effective than Sabonis and Turner? Yeah, I recall that Sabonis and young pairing was a problem.

While I’m really disappointed in the Duarte pick, he and Jackson seem like good candidates to complement Sabonis.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Post#65 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:18 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#66 » by Wizop » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:24 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.

Return to Indiana Pacers