Post#1 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 2, 2021 10:46 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 675

Re: McDermott Signs with Spurs 3/$42m 

Post#2 » by Pacers Forever » Mon Aug 2, 2021 10:53 pm

14 million per season. Not worth that in my opinion for his defensive flaws. Happy for him
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#3 » by Tom White » Mon Aug 2, 2021 10:53 pm

Good for Doug. He is a Spurs type of player.
OnFire
Junior
And1: 27

Post#4 » by OnFire » Mon Aug 2, 2021 11:00 pm

He earned every bit of his payday for sure.

Will miss seeing him and Domas work the PnR.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 2, 2021 11:12 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:14 million per season. Not worth that in my opinion for his defensive flaws. Happy for him

Just absolutely no way we could give him that money and then have him be far lesser than the starter ahead of him, that's paid a couple million less this year.

He earned it, with his growth and offensive explosion. He's getting better defensively, but he's a role that we absolutely need to have replaced with Justin and development of guys like Kelan, Stanley, Sumner, and the drafting of Duarte. Now, add in the signing of Torrey Craig, and we did what we had to do.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#6 » by Pacers Forever » Mon Aug 2, 2021 11:21 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:14 million per season. Not worth that in my opinion for his defensive flaws. Happy for him

Just absolutely no way we could give him that money and then have him be far lesser than the starter ahead of him, that's paid a couple million less this year.

He earned it, with his growth and offensive explosion. He's getting better defensively, but he's a role that we absolutely need to have replaced with Justin and development of guys like Kelan, Stanley, Sumner, and the drafting of Duarte. Now, add in the signing of Torrey Craig, and we did what we had to do.

Your last paragraph couldn’t be better stated and I feel like it’s a great step in figuring out who the future wing(s) are at a low cost.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 2, 2021 11:24 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Your last paragraph couldn’t be better stated and I feel like it’s a great step in figuring out who the future wing(s) are at a low cost.

Yup. Unfortunate, but just a side effect of focusing on sustainable cap and roster management.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#8 » by Tom White » Mon Aug 2, 2021 11:24 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Now, add in the signing of Torrey Craig, and we did what we had to do.

I'm not sure, but I think we are right up against the luxury tax line now. Would that be right?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 2, 2021 11:27 pm

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Now, add in the signing of Torrey Craig, and we did what we had to do.

I'm not sure, but I think we are right up against the luxury tax line now. Would that be right?

$400k short of the tax line. Which could disappear essentially with TJ Warren re-achieving his shooting bonus and staying healthy. If he does that AND/OR Sabonis hits the All-NBA team? Definitely a taxpaying team, without other cost saving moves.

I would imagine that we see Lamb moved for a slightly smaller deal, whether now or the deadline. They just won't risk it, as we saw last year.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#10 » by Pacers Forever » Mon Aug 2, 2021 11:27 pm

Tom White wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#11 » by Pacers Forever » Mon Aug 2, 2021 11:43 pm

Spurs throwing money out there :o

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 2, 2021 11:57 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:Spurs throwing money out there :o

Read on Twitter
?s=21

On talent, it's more than fine. Certainly hope there's some serious team protection in options or non-guarantees for the injuries, though.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#13 » by Pacersike » Tue Aug 3, 2021 12:04 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:$400k short of the tax line. Which could disappear essentially with TJ Warren re-achieving his shooting bonus and staying healthy. If he does that AND/OR Sabonis hits the All-NBA team? Definitely a taxpaying team, without other cost saving moves.

Turner better not having offseason workouts, no, no idea what his bonuses mean :D .
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 3, 2021 12:16 am

Pacersike wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:$400k short of the tax line. Which could disappear essentially with TJ Warren re-achieving his shooting bonus and staying healthy. If he does that AND/OR Sabonis hits the All-NBA team? Definitely a taxpaying team, without other cost saving moves.

Turner better not having offseason workouts, no, no idea what his bonuses mean :D .

Turner gets his bonus every year for showing up to camp and not having ballooned in weight. It's essentially a guarantee, even if he's injured. Turner would also earn $1m for making an All-NBA team, and another $1m for an All-Defense team.

Sabonis' number already reflects having earned his $1.3m bonus for making the All-Star team, and he would also receive another $1.3m if he makes an All-NBA team.

Warren would make $500k for making an All-Star team. He would also make $750k for making an All-NBA team. Lastly, he would make $250k for (and all of these have to be met) shooting better than 37% from 3 and 185 3 point attempts. He also has to play in a certain amount of games, but I can't find the exact minimum number published anywhere.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#15 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Aug 3, 2021 12:19 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 3, 2021 12:24 am

Pacers Forever wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Yup. We would have to pay the Spurs for the assistance in so doing, since they can sign him without our help. But with Base Year Compensation rules, his TPE would max out at this year's salary, or $7.3m.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#17 » by Pacersike » Tue Aug 3, 2021 1:14 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Turner better not having offseason workouts, no, no idea what his bonuses mean :D .

Turner gets his bonus every year for showing up to camp and not having ballooned in weight. It's essentially a guarantee, even if he's injured. Turner would also earn $1m for making an All-NBA team, and another $1m for an All-Defense team.

Sabonis' number already reflects having earned his $1.3m bonus for making the All-Star team, and he would also receive another $1.3m if he makes an All-NBA team.

Warren would make $500k for making an All-Star team. He would also make $750k for making an All-NBA team. Lastly, he would make $250k for (and all of these have to be met) shooting better than 37% from 3 and 185 3 point attempts. He also has to play in a certain amount of games, but I can't find the exact minimum number published anywhere.[/quote]

I wonder which bonuses Lance would be possibly getting if he were a Pacer right now :D .

Motivating without tools works better, but it is what is, relax :D .
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 3, 2021 1:53 am

Pacersike wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Pacersike wrote:Turner better not having offseason workouts, no, no idea what his bonuses mean :D .

Warren would make $500k for making an All-Star team. He would also make $750k for making an All-NBA team. Lastly, he would make $250k for (and all of these have to be met) shooting better than 37% from 3 and 185 3 point attempts. He also has to play in a certain amount of games, but I can't find the exact minimum number published anywhere.

I wonder which bonuses Lance would be possibly getting if he were a Pacer right now :D .

Motivating without tools works better, but it is what is, relax :D .

Lance had workout bonuses in his Charlotte deal. His rookie deal in Indy couldn't reasonably have bonuses. Bonuses are a quite common occurrence in the NBA and other sports.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#19 » by Topofthekey » Tue Aug 3, 2021 6:08 am

$14m per year is a bit more than what I'd be willing to pay Doug

I only wish Nate McMillan had figured out how to use Doug earlier. His first two seasons with the team were kind of a waste, where he was mostly an afterthought on offense

If the team had managed to utilize him properly earlier, we might have been able to flip him for a minor asset

As it is, it took Bjorkgren to unleash Doug's potential, but by then he was on the final year of his contract and all we managed to do was help him drive up his price tag in free agency

Still, I enjoyed watching him, and wish him all the best with his new team
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Aug 5, 2021 12:26 am

Don’t be surprised if this gets wrapped into the big 5 team deal with Westbrook to the Lakers and Dinwiddie to Washington. SA got roped in to eat the contract of Hutchinson, so they need to touch another team. Brooklyn needs to touch another team. If we rope in the McDermott signing into a S&T, then San Antonio is satisfied, and since Indy would be getting a $7.3m TPE for free, we’d probably pay Brooklyn $1.1m, the cash minimum for a 3 team deal to satisfy the touch rules, and complete the deal.

Return to Indiana Pacers