Could there be a trade coming?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Helsbyte
Senior
And1: 337

Could there be a trade coming? 

Post#1 » by Helsbyte » Tue Aug 3, 2021 4:37 pm

Does anyone possibly see a trade coming before the start of the season? We assume Lamb will be moved but he could also be attached to Brogdon(rumors) or Turner(rumors) Just curious as too what people think? We seemed to have increased our overall depth to a point where a consolidation trade makes sense.

Simmons?
Dame?
Siakam?
Grant?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Re: Could there be a trade coming? 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Tue Aug 3, 2021 5:01 pm

Helsbyte wrote:Does anyone possibly see a trade coming before the start of the season? We assume Lamb will be moved

I do not expect a trade and that includes not seeing us dump Lamb.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#3 » by Tom White » Tue Aug 3, 2021 6:11 pm

Helsbyte wrote:Does anyone possibly see a trade coming before the start of the season? We assume Lamb will be moved but he could also be attached to Brogdon(rumors) or Turner(rumors) Just curious as too what people think? We seemed to have increased our overall depth to a point where a consolidation trade makes sense.

Simmons?
Dame?
Siakam?
Grant?

Of the guys you've listed? None of their current teams are going to swap them for the Pacer players you are suggesting. I also don't see Dame moving at all. Siakam probably staying put. Grant? Nope
Simmons? Why are people so enticed by him when he only wants to play on one end of the court? That's like going to a shoe store and walking out with only a left or right shoe. It makes no sense to me.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#4 » by 8305 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 7:04 pm

Sad to say, but my guess is this is what goes to training camp.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#5 » by Topofthekey » Tue Aug 3, 2021 7:05 pm

Helsbyte wrote:Does anyone possibly see a trade coming before the start of the season? We assume Lamb will be moved but he could also be attached to Brogdon(rumors) or Turner(rumors) Just curious as too what people think? We seemed to have increased our overall depth to a point where a consolidation trade makes sense.

Simmons?
Dame?
Siakam?
Grant?

When I go to the TB and say I don't want to trade Myles for Siakam because his contract is too big, I'm not posturing

I genuinely do not want to swap Myles for Siakam, because I feel that we are better off with Myles than Siakam, especially when Siakam is so much more expensive than Myles

Simmons is interesting, if for no reason other than he's young and talented. But the thing that bugs me most about him is his attitude. I can live with a forward who can't/won't shoot, but it feels like Simmons is a big market player. So, not sure that trading for a player who's not going to fully commit to the team is a good idea

Dame, I really liked the idea of getting him, back when he was younger. But at this point, he is at the ring chasing phase of his career, and if we do trade for him, it'll feel like parachuting a mercenary in. I'd rather have someone who can be part of the journey from the begining-ish. And besides, I don't think Blazers end up trading him
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,266

Post#6 » by Nuntius » Tue Aug 3, 2021 7:17 pm

Let's hope so. I think that we have to balance out the roster more.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by 8305 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 7:28 pm

Nuntius wrote:Let's hope so. I think that we have to balance out the roster more.

At this point I wonder if the strategy is to have 3-5 guys who can play and are getting no run. Assume there will be some injuries and hustle a first round pick or two from a contender.
OnFire
Junior
And1: 27

Post#8 » by OnFire » Tue Aug 3, 2021 11:27 pm

Demar DeRozan signed with Chicago, who will route Thad Young to San Antonio to complete a S&T.

Maybe we could have the Spurs flip Young to us for their signing of Doug.

That be getting the veteran locker room leader the team needs, a fan favorite, and a solid stretch 4 in one. :nod:

Make it happen, KP! 8-)
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 3, 2021 11:44 pm

OnFire wrote:Demar DeRozan signed with Chicago, who will route Thad Young to San Antonio to complete a S&T.

That be getting the veteran locker room leader the team needs, a fan favorite, and a solid stretch 4 in one. :nod:

Make it happen, KP! 8-)

We’re about $400k from the tax line, and Thad will make $14.2m. We’d have to send out at least that much salary, which means we’d have to send out one of Turner, Sabonis, Brogdon, or Levert. Or Warren and Goga. Lamb and Goga wouldn’t work salary wise for us and stay under the tax.

Probably not realistic. But I would love Thad. A little less so, now that we’ve already committed to signing Craig.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 3, 2021 11:46 pm

We’re PRECARIOUSLY close to the luxury tax line right now, and have several bonuses that if Warren, Turner, or Sabonis hit them, could throw us over easily. Best would be to trade Lamb, and cut a little bit of salary. Otherwise, I think we’ll see Kelan waived this week, and maybe a 3rd PG signed to a partial guarantee, and ultimately waived midseason, or waived in camp, and leave the 15th roster spot open.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 710

Post#11 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Aug 4, 2021 12:19 am

I’m sure KP has a plan but they’ve got to get Lamb’s $$ off the roster. Hopefully the delay is just trying to find a situation where a team can take his expiring contract.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Aug 4, 2021 1:30 am

Pacers Forever wrote:I’m sure KP has a plan but they’ve got to get Lamb’s $$ off the roster. Hopefully the delay is just trying to find a situation where a team can take his expiring contract.

I think that’s the ideal situation, though more difficult/costly.

The more realistic thing is waiving Kelan, and signing someone else to a non-guarantee and waiving them in camp, and running with 14 players until after the trade deadline, when rest of season contracts will be about 40% of what a full season contract is. Kind of like we did in waiving Lecque last year, leaving the spot empty a bit, and then signing Oshae to fill it. They won’t all be great signings like Oshae was, though! :lol:
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#13 » by Wizop » Wed Aug 4, 2021 3:00 am

The newest Locked on Pacers Podcast gives Scoot credit for explaining the tax situation to Tony East.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 710

Post#14 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Aug 4, 2021 3:15 am

Wizop wrote:The newest Locked on Pacers Podcast gives Scoot credit for explaining the tax situation to Tony East.

Sent from my phone.

Awesome
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,277

Post#15 » by boomershadow » Wed Aug 4, 2021 10:16 am

Simmons?
Dame?
Siakam?
Grant?

I do not see us making a trade that involves any "big name" talent. That's just not really how the Pacers roll.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#16 » by Tom White » Wed Aug 4, 2021 11:33 am

OnFire wrote:Demar DeRozan signed with Chicago, who will route Thad Young to San Antonio to complete a S&T.

Make it happen, KP! 8-)

Please, make it NOT happen.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,277

Post#17 » by boomershadow » Wed Aug 4, 2021 12:20 pm

Tom White wrote:

Make it happen, KP! 8-)

Please, make it NOT happen.

If we brought back Thad it will probably be after his current contract runs out and he is playing for less during the backend of his career. I do not see us bringing him in on his current salary.

I would love it though.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Aug 4, 2021 2:43 pm

Well, with OKC in tanking/asset accumulation mode, looks to be a good spot for Lamb to head to :wink:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Aug 4, 2021 4:20 pm

Wizop wrote:The newest Locked on Pacers Podcast gives Scoot credit for explaining the tax situation to Tony East.

Sent from my phone.

Ok, that was pretty cool!

But Tony on Locked on Pacers is maybe the best voice on Pacers management/cap on any pod. Of course, Caitlin Cooper on IndyCornrows is the best anywhere in regards to on court play.
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by 8305 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 7:48 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Well, with OKC in tanking/asset accumulation mode, looks to be a good spot for Lamb to head to :wink:

At this point I think the move with Jeremy is a buy out. We create some breathing room under the Luxury Tax. Lamb is in a position to pick his destination where there is a path minutes. Show everyone he can still play before he's a free agent again. He's got Warren, Levert, Holiday, Duarte and Sumner ahead of him.

Return to Indiana Pacers