ImageImageImage

Where does our roster rank in the Eastern Conference?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Which Eastern Conference Rosters are worse than the Celtics?

Washington Wizards
12%
Charlotte Hornets
11%
Cleveland Cavaliers
13%
Detroit Pistons
13%
Chicago Bulls
7%
Orlando Magic
13%
New York Knicks
7%
Indiana Pacers
10%
Toronto Raptors
11%
Atlanta Hawks
3%

Total votes: 797

BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Where does our roster rank in the Eastern Conference? 

Post#1 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue Aug 3, 2021 4:13 am

I didn't include the Nets, Bucks, Heat and Sixers because the poll doesn't allow for more than 10 choices. Of the rest, where do we stand after the draft and the majority of the major FA moves have been made? If there's more trades or moves happen to change your mind you can alter your votes.

Seeing it all on one page and it's tough to tell where we stand. I can see anywhere from #4 seed if everything went right and other teams had injuries to us not even making the playoffs because the bottom feeders have improved dramatically while we have made more lateral moves. What say you?

BOS

Smart-Pritchard-Madar
Richardson-Langford
Brown-Nesmith
Tatum-Williams
Horford-Timelord

BK

Irving-Mills-Johnson
Harden-Harris-Brown
Durant-Johnson
Griffin-Sharpe
Jordan-Claxton

ATL

Young-Cooper-Wright-Williams
Hunter-Huerter
Bogdanovic-Reddish
Collins-Gallinari-Johnson
Capela-ThompsonOkongwu

CHA

Ball-Smith
Rozier-Bouknight
Bridges-McDaniels
Hayward-Washington
Jones-Biyombo-Carey Jr.

CHI

Ball-Caruso
LaVine-White-Dosumno
DeRozan
Williams-Markkenen-Young
Vucevic

CLE

Garland-Rubio
Sexton
Okoro-Osman
Love-Nance
Allen-Mobley

DET

Cade-Hayes
Jackson-Diallo
Bey
Grant-Sekou
Olynyk-Stewart

IND

Brogdon-McConnell
LeVert-Lamb
Warren
Sabonis-Brissett
Turner-Bitazde-Jackson

MIA

Lowry
Robinson-Herro
Butler
Tucker-Morris
Adebayo-Yurtzseven-Dedmon

MIL

Jrue-Hill
DiVencenzo-Allen-Connaughton
Middleton--Nwora-Semi
Giannis-Portis
Lopez-Mamukelashvili

NYN

Rose-Burks
Barrett-Quickley
Fournier-Grimes-Knox
Randle-Gibson-Toppin
Robinson-Noel-Sims

ORL

Suggs-Fultz
Harris-Anthony-Hampton
Wagner (Franz)-Okeke-Bacon
Isaac-Wagner (Mo)
WCJ-Bamba

PHI

Simmons-Milton
Curry-Maxey-Korkmaz
Green-Thybulle
Harris-Reed
Embiid-Drummond-Bassey

TOR

VanVleet-Dragic
Trent Jr.
Anunoby-Barnes
Siakam-Achiuwa
Birch-Boucher

WASH

Dinwiddie-Holiday
Beal-KCP
Kispert-Kuzma-Avdija
Hachimura-Bertans-Todd
Harrell-Gafford
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,069

Re: Where does our roster rank in the Eastern Conference? 

Post#2 » by keevsnick1 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 4:24 am

So what I've settled on is this.

A core rotation of Smart, Pritchard, Richardson, Brown, Nesmith, Tatum, Horford, Williams actually isnt bad. Its a little light on shooting, but thats eight guys with a chance to be playoff level players. If you can use the tax or Non-tax MLE to either find a big wing like Otto Porter/Rudy Gay or bring in a decent shooter like Patty Mills or Reggie Jackson on a one year prove it deal then even better, now you're nine deep. With Langford/GWill as wildcards.

To me the only teams in the east obviously better than you are MIL and BRK. You could finish as high as third or as low as like 8th again depending on injury luck, seasonal variation in shooting numbers, ect. A lot will just depend of whether Tatum and or Brown take another leap forward.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,973

Post#3 » by jfs1000d » Tue Aug 3, 2021 4:36 am

2 or 3. Depends on if Simmons gets better.

Horford and Richardson will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
makubesu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,775

Post#4 » by makubesu » Tue Aug 3, 2021 4:37 am

How good is Washington now? It seems like they’ve got a lot of role players in place now, so they’ll just give the keys to Beal and see where he takes them.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,309

Post#5 » by hugepatsfan » Tue Aug 3, 2021 4:47 am

I think the Cavs/Pistons/Magic/Raptors are worse. CHA/CHI/WAS/IND/NYK are debatable. ATL you have to give respect for on paper after their playoff run, along with BRK/PHI/MIL/MIA all being clearly better on paper.

So, IMO, I have us right now ranging from just escaping the playoff as the 6 seed to just missing it as the 11 seed. And I'd say closer to 11 than 6 tbh. But more offseason moves to come so we'll see.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#6 » by themoneyteam2 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 4:47 am

Probably 4th. Biggest difference to me is lack of shot creators and shooters off the bench. We saw this year how the Bucks and Hawks both had multiple guys other than stars who could realistically get you 20. Who is that on this roster? Richardson? Pritchard?
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,124

Post#7 » by Darthlukey » Tue Aug 3, 2021 4:49 am

Oops, misread the poll
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,948

Post#8 » by Drax » Tue Aug 3, 2021 8:08 am

I think the Celtics are below the Nets and the Bucks. After that it's a free for all.

I don't think the roster was bad last season and i don't think its bad now. What we were missing was cohesive play of the entire team. With a new head coach and a clear hierarchy on the roster, internal improvement and the minor roster shake up i think we're in for a good season. Not championship level season but exciting.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Post#9 » by Patsfan1081 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 4:22 pm

They were worse than NY and Miami who got better. Nets and Bucks are def better, and even with their issues Philly is better and so is Atlanta. So 7th I’m guessing, same as last year unless they improve their chemistry.
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,781

Post#10 » by flintsky21 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 4:39 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:Probably 4th. Biggest difference to me is lack of shot creators and shooters off the bench. We saw this year how the Bucks and Hawks both had multiple guys other than stars who could realistically get you 20. Who is that on this roster? Richardson? Pritchard?

Exactly. And there aren't much shot creators left on the market. Malik Monk would be great.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#11 » by Spin Move » Tue Aug 3, 2021 4:50 pm

There is no arguing the Nets, Bucks, Heat are better right now, the next tier of Philly, (they probabbly are better but depends what the eventual simmons trade returns) Atlanta, NY and us is where we fit. Puts us somewhere in the 5 to 7 seed range.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#12 » by captain green » Tue Aug 3, 2021 8:39 pm

I think we are fifth best at most bucks, nets, heat, atlanta are all better.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#13 » by cloverleaf » Tue Aug 3, 2021 8:55 pm

captain green wrote:I think we are fifth best at most bucks, nets, heat, atlanta are all better.

This, though until a couple more moves are made, I think they're more likely just where they were last season.
dkb9696
Bench Warmer
And1: 968

Post#14 » by dkb9696 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 9:59 pm

Not that it really matters in regards to these rankings, but Achiuwa was traded to Toronto in the Lowry sign and trade. I am not a fan of the overall roster, but Tatam/Brown are such a great duo. If they keep developing and are even better this year then I would only have Nets-Bucks-Heat above them.
Tatumfor2
Starter
And1: 4,673

Post#15 » by Tatumfor2 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:03 pm

Win it for Al!!! :pray:
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#16 » by grindtime22 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:18 pm

4th or 5th

Our roster makes way more sense this year than last year. Almost everybody can defend and we should be very switchable with no Kemba or Teague. Shedding the burden of feeling like we have to play Thompson should also really help. Our top 2 centers can act as hubs to greatly help with the playmaking instead of clogging everything up. There should be a lot of internal improvement with so many key young players.

I think we have a decent chance against anybody other than a healthy Nets in the playoffs.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,232

Post#17 » by LewisnotMiller » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:55 pm

We need to go and get Boomers Thybulle. I wanted Boomers Mills, but sadly now need to watch him try and add some class to the frigging Nets.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#18 » by jmr07019 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:55 pm

Tier 1 - Nets and Bucks

Tier 2 - Philly, Miami, Atlanta

Tier 3 - Boston, Knicks, Chicago

Tier 4 - Charlotte, Toronto, Washington, Indy

Tier 5 - Cleveland, Detroit, Orlando,
Show Love Spread Love
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#19 » by Hal14 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 11:06 pm

grindtime22 wrote:4th or 5th

Our roster makes way more sense this year than last year. Almost everybody can defend and we should be very switchable with no Kemba or Teague. Shedding the burden of feeling like we have to play Thompson should also really help. Our top 2 centers can act as hubs to greatly help with the playmaking instead of clogging everything up. There should be a lot of internal improvement with so many key young players.

I think we have a decent chance against anybody other than a healthy Nets in the playoffs.

good point about both our centers this year (horford and rob) being offensive hubs. We saw it a lot last year with Rob being a really good passer from the high post, hitting cutters and stuff and obviously we know Horford is really good at that too - Rob probably learned a lot of that sh*t from playing with Horford his rookie year. I feel like you play Horford and Rob 24 mins each and that way you keep both of them fresh and healthy throughout the season.

Agreed about internal improvement with the young guys. Tatum, Brown, Pritchard, Nesmith, Grant W, Rob, Langford. All are between age 21-24. They're all still getting better.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Fantaxp7
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,603

Post#20 » by Fantaxp7 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 11:14 pm

I think we could be in the 3 spot if healthy and things go our way...So maybe 4-5 more realistically.

Our team had some serious chemistry issues and I think or hope with all our changes we should see us get back on track.

Bench depth so was bad last year. Even if we are taking a bit of a risk with Richardson and Dunn It's hard to believe they will be worse than Semi and Thompson. Richardson may start but he isn't as hyped up as he once was hopefully he can be competent and Dallas was more of a fluke...

And speaking of horrid bench Langford (finally healthy) and Nesmith were definitely a positive at the end of the season. I'm very excited to see what they will bring to the table this season. They were mostly written off by everyone but finally showed up. And Pritchard had his ups and downs let's see what a full year brings for him. I'm expecting a much improved bench vs hoping our previous various player would pan out like Semi/Grant/Yabusele/etc...These guys I have more confidence in. Also I have one more season's patience for Grant Williams...so let's see where the goes

Kemba, the few times he was on the court and playing like Kemba was still not a great fit for the Jays. I feel like he never really engaged them within the offense. Even though there is that massive talent gap with Horford he is a willing and good passer and his spacing the floor as we know helps open things up.

One X factor for us is Rob Williams. Here's to hoping the Celtics are doing everything they can to work with him to avoid injury. His freak athleticism seems to be what get's him injured all the time.

Lastly, another year of growth from our young studs who we forget are still a ways away from their primes. We often look at their early success as good and bad and that maybe it got to their heads. This past season hopefully was humbling and maybe even this year as well...But it's all part of their growth.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this upcoming season.

Return to Boston Celtics