ImageImageImageImageImage

2020/2021 general thread

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,572

Re: 2020/2021 general thread 

Post#101 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:59 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:Keep in mind that there are a lot of potential dominoes yet to fall here before free agency.

As well you have to look at it this way. If you have to move Richaun in a S & T but what someone else is willing to pay is too rich for our situation, and you get back a key piece that fits and makes sense at that price, you make that move and don’t think twice.

No matter how much we all love Richaun’s hustle and heart - and I was the single biggest advocate of bringing him here BEFORE he came and showed out - he is still a LIMITED ROLE PLAYER in the grand scheme of where he would be in the pecking order if a contending team.

He and maybe Fox were the only 2 guys who I never questioned their effort. Every night they brought it.

Richaun can be a starting center on a championship team. Obviously you want him to be your 5th guy, but at 12-14 million that is what we are paying him for.

And we need to make the playoffs before we even thinking about building a contender. Richaun can absolutely help with that.

Oh god.. This offseason is shaping up to be the worst case scenario

draft a pg
bagley doesnt get moved
buddy doesnt get moved
Holmes walks out the door

Next we trade Fox for Simmons

Its downright impossible to root for this **** franchise.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#102 » by BoogieTime » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:00 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:Keep in mind that there are a lot of potential dominoes yet to fall here before free agency.

As well you have to look at it this way. If you have to move Richaun in a S & T but what someone else is willing to pay is too rich for our situation, and you get back a key piece that fits and makes sense at that price, you make that move and don’t think twice.

No matter how much we all love Richaun’s hustle and heart - and I was the single biggest advocate of bringing him here BEFORE he came and showed out - he is still a LIMITED ROLE PLAYER in the grand scheme of where he would be in the pecking order if a contending team.

He and maybe Fox were the only 2 guys who I never questioned their effort. Every night they brought it.

Don't agree. Fox defensive stats aren't anywhere they should be for his skill level. His inconsistency is maddening, and something I wonder if is innate. He will go 7 games where your questioning who is the best young pg between him and Trae, and than lead a 9 game losing streak without much impact on the game. You don't know which Fox will show up that night. Its something that has been notable in his career, even under Joerger (though not to the degree it has been with a lame players coach in Walton). Walton is probably the worst coach for De'aaron though, as I think he needs someone who will put a paddle to that behind.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#103 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:20 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

Don't agree. Fox defensive stats aren't anywhere they should be for his skill level. His inconsistency is maddening, and something I wonder if is innate. He will go 7 games where your questioning who is the best young pg between him and Trae, and than lead a 9 game losing streak without much impact on the game. You don't know which Fox will show up that night. Its something that has been notable in his career, even under Joerger (though not to the degree it has been with a lame players coach in Walton). Walton is probably the worst coach for De'aaron though, as I think he needs someone who will put a paddle to that behind.

I couldn't disagree more.

I recall many nights where Fox showed up, Holmes showed up, but Buddy was 4/17 from the field. Barnes completely disappears half the nights hes on the floor, and Fox just looks tired and overmatched trying to do it himself.
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,453

Post#104 » by rpa » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:40 am

BoogieTime wrote:Don't agree. Fox defensive stats aren't anywhere they should be for his skill level. His inconsistency is maddening, and something I wonder if is innate. He will go 7 games where your questioning who is the best young pg between him and Trae, and than lead a 9 game losing streak without much impact on the game. You don't know which Fox will show up that night. Its something that has been notable in his career, even under Joerger (though not to the degree it has been with a lame players coach in Walton). Walton is probably the worst coach for De'aaron though, as I think he needs someone who will put a paddle to that behind.

Fox's advanced defensive metrics by year (not including rookie year because he was all kinds of awful--both offensively and defensively):

2018: DRPM (-0.91), DBPM (+0.2), DWS (2.5), DRTG (111)
2019: DRPM (-2.33), DBPM (-0.5), DWS (1.4), DRTG (112)
2020: DPRM (-0.27), DBPM (-1.5), DWS (0.8), DRTG (118)

So either Fox has been forgetting how to play defense year by year or... Luke Walton is Luke Waltoning.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#105 » by BoogieTime » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:00 am

rpa wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:Don't agree. Fox defensive stats aren't anywhere they should be for his skill level. His inconsistency is maddening, and something I wonder if is innate. He will go 7 games where your questioning who is the best young pg between him and Trae, and than lead a 9 game losing streak without much impact on the game. You don't know which Fox will show up that night. Its something that has been notable in his career, even under Joerger (though not to the degree it has been with a lame players coach in Walton). Walton is probably the worst coach for De'aaron though, as I think he needs someone who will put a paddle to that behind.

Fox's advanced defensive metrics by year (not including rookie year because he was all kinds of awful--both offensively and defensively):

2018: DRPM (-0.91), DBPM (+0.2), DWS (2.5), DRTG (111)
2019: DRPM (-2.33), DBPM (-0.5), DWS (1.4), DRTG (112)
2020: DPRM (-0.27), DBPM (-1.5), DWS (0.8), DRTG (118)

So either Fox has been forgetting how to play defense year by year or... Luke Walton is Luke Waltoning.

I agree 100%

Walton is a bottom 2-3 coach and the team doesn't play for him.

Fox is a player who needs someone lighting a fire, a la Joerger

Walton continuing to be here is obfuscating the talent perceptions of a lot of players, Buddy notably as well

Im not trying to hate on Fox, I think if he remains here and we get a better coach he can progressively inch himself up to being one of the best PGs in the conference as the Curry/Lillard/Pauls age.

I also think the Hawks series, has ridiculously tarnished the perception of Simmons who is a multi year all star, defensive player of the year, who I credit a lot of Philly's consistent success with. I think Philly will fall if they don't replace Simmons with serious talent. Ben IMO has been a consistent difference maker. He's a semi jump shot away from really controlling the game. Before the Hawks series if you had posited who had more value on the General or T/T board, Fox or Simmons, I think Simmons would have won hands down.

Its a tough situation. But if you have Davion who I and maybe the FO believes in ready to step in, you'd maybe go with the versatility and the player who IMO who has led to more team success so far in Simmons. But I understand the argument against it
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#106 » by OGSactownballer » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:53 am

I am 110% certain that this team is playing level capable (before anything that has happened in the past 48 hours) with a reasonably competent coach.

Walton is an unmitigated disaster. He magnifies the worst of players games and his “plans” are so pedestrian you would think he had a “Basketball coaching for Dummies” book on the bench.

If we had brought a Monty Williams type guy here I am absolutely convinced this would be an entirely different team.
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#107 » by sacking123 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:39 am

OGSactownballer wrote:I am 110% certain that this team is playing level capable (before anything that has happened in the past 48 hours) with a reasonably competent coach.

Walton is an unmitigated disaster. He magnifies the worst of players games and his “plans” are so pedestrian you would think he had a “Basketball coaching for Dummies” book on the bench.

If we had brought a Monty Williams type guy here I am absolutely convinced this would be an entirely different team.

Would have to agree with this. It would be interesting if Monte got a green light to bring in his own coach what that would look like.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#108 » by BoogieTime » Wed Aug 4, 2021 4:09 am

Yes, Woodard is still a scrub IMO. And yes Mitchell was the right pick IMO, looking good
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#109 » by City of Trees » Wed Aug 4, 2021 5:03 am

Woodard struggled big time tonight. He needs to bounce back tomorrow
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#110 » by OGSactownballer » Wed Aug 4, 2021 7:00 am

simonbampfield wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:I am 110% certain that this team is playing level capable (before anything that has happened in the past 48 hours) with a reasonably competent coach.

Would have to agree with this. It would be interesting if Monte got a green light to bring in his own coach what that would look like.

He did.

His name is Coach Christie.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#111 » by OGSactownballer » Wed Aug 4, 2021 7:01 am

I’ll take it a step further.

If we aren’t minimum .500 by twenty games in Walton is gone and we try to do an ATL last year with Doug taking over.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#112 » by LightTheBeam » Wed Aug 4, 2021 4:12 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:

He did.

I can only pray that you are right my friend. Doug Christie would make a fine coach. That said, my 90 year grandpa who screams through the TV for the Kings to play defense would make a better coach than Walton.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#113 » by kalenclayton » Thu Aug 5, 2021 1:36 am

OGSactownballer wrote:I’ll take it a step further.

If we aren’t minimum .500 by twenty games in Walton is gone and we try to do an ATL last year with Doug taking over.

While I could see that scenario happening, I think the results will be wildly different. McMillan was a seasoned coach who was considered good before he took the assistant coach role in ATL. Christie is brand new and untested. I think the motivation of the players can be similar, but Christie is going to need a ton of help.
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#114 » by sacking123 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 2:53 am

OGSactownballer wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:

He did.

Yes. Good call. When they announced Doug first thought was, that is a great call! Second thought was, he is there to also report back to Vivek.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#115 » by BoogieTime » Thu Aug 5, 2021 3:34 am

Ramsey and Woodard...
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#116 » by City of Trees » Thu Aug 5, 2021 4:08 am

BoogieTime wrote:Ramsey and Woodard...
Need another year in the G league. I'm not so sure they deserve roster spots.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,243

Post#117 » by blind prophet » Thu Aug 5, 2021 4:30 am

Queta definitely needs some G league.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#118 » by BoogieTime » Thu Aug 5, 2021 4:38 am

Mitchell has looked out of shape for this back to back, rough night