Rudy gay to Utah

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Re: Rudy gay to Utah 

Post#41 » by ForeverRDjazz » Wed Aug 4, 2021 4:04 am

sip wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:P.S Green isn't even the same level Rudy is.
What does Rudy do better than Green? Rudy hasn't been a better player than Green since he tore his achilles.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app

I think Rudy is better on both sides of the ball. How long ago did Rudy get injured? Because Gay looked pretty good last year to me. Maybe we just watched different games. Green looks okay few games with Nets last year. But I didn't feel it was better than games I watch Rudy Gay in.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 771

Post#42 » by dr0welf » Wed Aug 4, 2021 4:19 am

Jeff Green had a great shooting year last year in BKN thanks to the big 3 taking all the defense away from him. He was way above his average, but I don't think he shoots that good for Utah if he was on our team. I think Rudy Gay is a better perimeter defender. Gay also has a better feel for the game imho as he seems to be in the right place at the right time a lot. Last time Jeff Green played for Utah he seemed to be worst then I see him play with others. I don't know if this offense is just not a good fit for him, but that is what I'm comparing to Rudy Gay. Even though we haven't seen Gay play within our system we have seen Green and his production was rough.
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,297

Post#43 » by sip » Wed Aug 4, 2021 9:45 am

dr0welf wrote:Jeff Green had a great shooting year last year in BKN thanks to the big 3 taking all the defense away from him. He was way above his average, but I don't think he shoots that good for Utah if he was on our team. I think Rudy Gay is a better perimeter defender. Gay also has a better feel for the game imho as he seems to be in the right place at the right time a lot. Last time Jeff Green played for Utah he seemed to be worst then I see him play with others. I don't know if this offense is just not a good fit for him, but that is what I'm comparing to Rudy Gay. Even though we haven't seen Gay play within our system we have seen Green and his production was rough.
The big 3 rarely played together last year so they weren't drawing much attention for him. Also Green has played well with every team over the last 4 years with the exception of Utah for some reason. He and Quin just didn't mesh for some reason.

zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#44 » by zero24gravity » Wed Aug 4, 2021 7:29 pm

sip
Rookie

Post#45 » by sip » Sun Aug 8, 2021 3:06 pm

So it looks like the Gay deal is actually a 3yr deal with a player option for the 3rd year. What a bone head move. That third year is going to cost us an asset to move.

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#46 » by stitches » Sun Aug 8, 2021 6:22 pm

sip wrote:So it looks like the Gay deal is actually a 3yr deal with a player option for the 3rd year. What a bone head move. That third year is going to cost us an asset to move.

That's the "and two future seconds" part of the deal.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,424

Post#47 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Aug 8, 2021 6:34 pm

So is Gay's contract 3/12M or 3/18M? Either way, that 4M-6M isn't what will screw the Jazz, our cap situation was FUBAR'd beforehand. Gay is being paid a reasonable contract. We should be complaining about other contracts that bloat our payroll.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#48 » by Daddy 801 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 6:56 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:So is Gay's contract 3/12M or 3/18M? Either way, that 4M-6M isn't what will screw the Jazz, our cap situation was FUBAR'd beforehand. Gay is being paid a reasonable contract. We should be complaining about other contracts that bloat our payroll.

Yep. Rudy is overpaid. He is an amazing player. He deserves big bucks. But he is overpaid.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Post#49 » by AingesBurner » Sun Aug 8, 2021 7:53 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:So is Gay's contract 3/12M or 3/18M? Either way, that 4M-6M isn't what will screw the Jazz, our cap situation was FUBAR'd beforehand. Gay is being paid a reasonable contract. We should be complaining about other contracts that bloat our payroll.

Yep. Rudy is overpaid. He is an amazing player. He deserves big bucks. But he is overpaid.

If Rudy ever gets a reliable hook shot it’s worth the money. Also the mentoring Dok is big too, you take his offensive game plus 80% of Rudy’s defense, superstar, Shaq 2.0.
Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#50 » by stitches » Sun Aug 8, 2021 8:35 pm

Read on Twitter
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Post#51 » by AingesBurner » Sun Aug 8, 2021 9:24 pm

stitches wrote:

Read on Twitter

I still like it.
Ingles is cooked.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#52 » by CAE15 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 10:30 pm

sip wrote:So it looks like the Gay deal is actually a 3yr deal with a player option for the 3rd year. What a bone head move. That third year is going to cost us an asset to move.

Our cap situation is so different by the time that 6.5 PO comes up. And even still 6.5 ain't **** for a contract. It's better than Gay playing well here for a year than opting out for year 2 and taking a 2 year 20 million with someone else other than us. His contract likely ends with Mike, Royce and possibly JC at the same time. It's fine
sip
Rookie

Post#53 » by sip » Mon Aug 9, 2021 12:30 am

CAE15 wrote:

Our cap situation is so different by the time that 6.5 PO comes up. And even still 6.5 ain't **** for a contract. It's better than Gay playing well here for a year than opting out for year 2 and taking a 2 year 20 million with someone else other than us. His contract likely ends with Mike, Royce and possibly JC at the same time. It's fine
No it's not fine. When you are a repeater luxury tax team that 6.5 mil turns into 30mil real quick. Also almost none of the guys that come off the books will actually come off the books. Most likely those contracts are either moved to acquire similar sized contracts or are re-signed for larger contracts. Stupid decisions like this are why you end up having to dump 1st rd picks to move contracts in the future.

Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,663

Post#54 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:43 am

Western Notes: Ingles, Bogdanovic, O’Neale, Conley, Gay, Adelman, Doncic
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/08/western-notes-ingles-bogdanovic-oneale-conley-gay-adelman-doncic.html

Snips: The Jazz are well above the luxury tax line after re-signing Mike Conley and adding Rudy Gay in free agency but they don’t plan on dumping any of their mid-salaried players to ease the burden, Zach Lowe of ESPN reports.

Conley played a role in convincing Gay to leave the Spurs for the Jazz in free agency, Sarah Todd of The Deseret News writes. Conley said the front office urged him to recruit his former Memphis teammate. “I’ve done it little bit (before) but not at this capacity,” Conley said. “I was like putting babies down for bed and having to drop them and go take a call because I’m trying to make sure we lock up a guy like Rudy. … I was really locked in on that and it was fun.”

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#55 » by babyjax13 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:34 pm

I am more and more okay with what we sent out for Conley because other players are signing specifically because he's here. I mean, Ed Davis sucked, but getting Gay is really nice, and I bet him being here played a role in Clarkson resigning, in us getting Whiteside, etc.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 977

Post#56 » by red4hf » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:56 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I am more and more okay with what we sent out for Conley because other players are signing specifically because he's here. I mean, Ed Davis sucked, but getting Gay is really nice, and I bet him being here played a role in Clarkson resigning, in us getting Whiteside, etc.

I still can't believe how bad Ed Davis was........

Return to Utah Jazz