2021 Summer League

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Re: 2021 Summer League 

Post#21 » by tugs » Wed Aug 4, 2021 1:07 am

sip wrote:The trade for him won't be finalized until the 6th.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app
Oh right thanks man. Completely forgot we traded for #40
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 771

Post#22 » by dr0welf » Wed Aug 4, 2021 1:07 am

Doke moving good on defense
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#23 » by tugs » Wed Aug 4, 2021 1:10 am

Intrigued by Patton and Martin. Those two had flashes in Houston and Memphis.
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,297

Post#24 » by sip » Wed Aug 4, 2021 1:13 am

I've always like the potential of Patton. Players with his size and skillset should be able to find a role in the nba.

zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#25 » by zero24gravity » Wed Aug 4, 2021 3:06 pm

Blue team was rough to watch. Hoping to see a bit more next game from someone.

Dok & Forrest showed well for the White team.

Dok looked physically dominant, rebounding in a crowd, throwing down dunks/lobs, moving pretty well, and altering shots. No signs of anything like a jumper, but I doubt that's ever who he will be. I said in another post that he reminds me of Drummond; big, strong, aggressive, impactful, but not well rounded. It's just one game against inferior competition, but he looked good.

Forrrest showed he was a player that's played with the "big boys" last year. Good pace, can get to the basket, throws the lob (to Dok) pretty well. Did hit a couple outside shots. If that part of his game steadies, he has the tools to be a rotation player. (Still not convinced he's ready to be a regular #2 PG yet, but time will tell.)

Really hoped to see Brantley play well, but he struggled, especially with his shot. I think he's forcing things. His calling card has got to be his D, IMO. But I also think he's the type of player that needs real life action, to up his intensity & play harder/more focused. This is just a theory, based on what I've seen of his on court personality & his play in the bubble... but I bet if thrust into REAL NBA action, his game actually gets better. Problem is, you need to show something elsewhere to get that shot at real PT.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,194

Post#26 » by Catchall » Wed Aug 4, 2021 10:55 pm

Forrest can play. Looks like an NBA player with his pacing, reads and play finishes.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,297

Post#27 » by sip » Wed Aug 4, 2021 11:03 pm

zero24gravity wrote:Blue team was rough to watch. Hoping to see a bit more next game from someone.

Dok looked physically dominant, rebounding in a crowd, throwing down dunks/lobs, moving pretty well, and altering shots. No signs of anything like a jumper, but I doubt that's ever who he will be. I said in another post that he reminds me of Drummond; big, strong, aggressive, impactful, but not well rounded. It's just one game against inferior competition, but he looked good.

Forrrest showed he was a player that's played with the "big boys" last year. Good pace, can get to the basket, throws the lob (to Dok) pretty well. Did hit a couple outside shots. If that part of his game steadies, he has the tools to be a rotation player. (Still not convinced he's ready to be a regular #2 PG yet, but time will tell.)

Really hoped to see Brantley play well, but he struggled, especially with his shot. I think he's forcing things. His calling card has got to be his D, IMO. But I also think he's the type of player that needs real life action, to up his intensity & play harder/more focused. This is just a theory, based on what I've seen of his on court personality & his play in the bubble... but I bet if thrust into REAL NBA action, his game actually gets better. Problem is, you need to show something elsewhere to get that shot at real PT.
I definitely think Brantley needs consistent rotation minutes to really develop. He has the potential be a jack of all trades role player but to become that player he needs to build chemistry with our core group. Last year was a disaster for his development with only garbage time minutes. It sucks that Quin doesn't seem to understand this. We had so many blowouts where our starters played late into the game for no reason when you could have at least plugged in Brantley for 5 minutes with Ingles and Clarkson out there running the show.

zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#28 » by zero24gravity » Wed Aug 4, 2021 11:19 pm

sip wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:Blue team was rough to watch. Hoping to see a bit more next game from someone.

I definitely think Brantley needs consistent rotation minutes to really develop. He has the potential be a jack of all trades role player but to become that player he needs to build chemistry with our core group. Last year was a disaster for his development with only garbage time minutes. It sucks that Quin doesn't seem to understand this. We had so many blowouts where our starters played late into the game for no reason when you could have at least plugged in Brantley for 5 minutes with Ingles and Clarkson out there running the show.

I'm a huge Snyder fan, but I agree that not running out 1 young guy with the core guys for a handful of minutes was a mistake, especially when leads are big and there's not a lot to lose.
cashmachine
Sophomore
And1: 91

Post#29 » by cashmachine » Wed Aug 4, 2021 11:19 pm

How did Hughes look?
cashmachine
Sophomore
And1: 91

Post#30 » by cashmachine » Wed Aug 4, 2021 11:28 pm

Nevermind looked at the box score. Rough shooting for him. Still excited about him and think he's gonna stick.
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#31 » by dr0welf » Thu Aug 5, 2021 12:22 am

Missed the first half of the SA vs Blue team but they seem like the team is moving the ball better. Wish I could replay it so I can see the first half.
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#32 » by dr0welf » Thu Aug 5, 2021 12:25 am

I still like Wrights defense, he moves his feet really well. He had a sweet block in the 3rd.
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#33 » by dr0welf » Thu Aug 5, 2021 12:31 am

Teague looking quite a bit better tonight. Looks more in control and not forcing stuff as much.
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#34 » by dr0welf » Thu Aug 5, 2021 12:38 am

Newman has shown some good offensive skills and same with Funderburk tonight
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#35 » by dr0welf » Thu Aug 5, 2021 12:48 am

That was more of the Teague I was expecting to show up in game 2. Glad he rebounded.
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#36 » by dr0welf » Thu Aug 5, 2021 1:16 am

Hughes shooting good this game, nice stop and pop 3 and earlier a 3+1. Forrest and Doke looking good as well.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#37 » by CAE15 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 1:56 am

Guys I'm taking to Vegas Summer League assuming we're mixing both rosters

Azubuike/Morgan
Brantley/Funderburk/White
Hughes/Mathias
Chealey/Teague/Wright
Butler/ Forrest/Newman/Allman
dr0welf
Analyst

Post#38 » by dr0welf » Thu Aug 5, 2021 2:22 am

CAE15 wrote:Guys I'm taking to Vegas Summer League assuming we're mixing both rosters

Azubuike/Morgan
Hughes/Mathias
Chealey/Teague/Wright

Solid list, I wouldn't mind seeing Patton on their as well. I might leave Allman off.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#39 » by CAE15 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 3:12 am

dr0welf wrote:
CAE15 wrote:Guys I'm taking to Vegas Summer League assuming we're mixing both rosters

Azubuike/Morgan
Hughes/Mathias
Chealey/Teague/Wright

Solid list, I wouldn't mind seeing Patton on their as well. I might leave Allman off.
Patton is already committed to the Knicks for Vegas
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#40 » by stitches » Thu Aug 5, 2021 7:35 pm

Hughes looks big out there... like... he looks more like a wing size than guard size. Still not sure he has skill translatable to the NBA.

The guy I've like best from our players is Trent Forrest. He looks like he's in complete control out there. He looks like he's outgrown that setting. Best compliment you can relaly give to a player at SL.

Morgan looks like the best defender out there.

Udoka looks similar to last year. If he can't defend in the league he will be out of the league. Doesn't have enough skill to justify paying second contract to a PnR big who is a minus defensively.

Return to Utah Jazz