OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,530

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#41 » by Devilanche » Thu Aug 5, 2021 5:05 am

Got to think we weren’t close in numbers for the extension and/or minutes . So might as well give him time now to hunt whatever team still have MLe to give him parts of it .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,072

Post#42 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 8:01 am

Still no numbers about the Kemba buy out? weird
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#43 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Aug 5, 2021 9:42 am

I liked svi but he was a much better three point shooter in theory than in real life. I wouldn’t have minded him coming back but we don’t really have the minutes for him.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,530

Post#44 » by Devilanche » Thu Aug 5, 2021 10:25 am

Dadouv47 wrote:Still no numbers about the Kemba buy out? weird

- I think he haven’t been bought out yet . Probably discussing on the portion he giving back
- means we want him give up more than he willing to ?
- that’s how tight our fo is . No rumours
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#45 » by getrichordie » Thu Aug 5, 2021 11:35 am

Since we rescinded Svi's Q.O., and assuming Kemba didn't give back anything and OKC is using the "set off" clause in the CBA, I'd estimate that we just opened up around $9-10M in cap room, assuming a 2-year/$17M deal for Kemba in New York. CBA isn't really clear on how New York's team option on Kemba's contract affects thing so this is a very rough estimation.

Estimated cap room currently is around $35-37M.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#46 » by getrichordie » Thu Aug 5, 2021 11:41 am

A buddy of mine works for a sports agency and his guess is that Kemba didn't give up a dime. Honestly makes more sense to me that Kemba wouldn't give back me any money. He really doesn't have a strong reason to give anything up, unless there's just some commonplace player—GM understanding between Walker and Presti that it would be a good faith move to not have to rely on "set off" in CBA.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#47 » by thedoppelganger » Thu Aug 5, 2021 1:27 pm

I wonder if we look at giving Omer Yurtseven a non-guaranteed deal to fill out one of the last roster spots. He was really productive for us in the G League bubble, the Heat got him on a 2 way at the end of the season and now he's crushing summer league for them. We usually have an affinity for players we're familiar with, could play the Moses Brown role this year if we don't go after some reclamation project like Bagley
Read on Twitter
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#48 » by spearsy23 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 1:34 pm

getrichordie wrote:

A buddy of mine works for a sports agency and his guess is that Kemba didn't give up a dime. Honestly makes more sense to me that Kemba wouldn't give back me any money. He really doesn't have a strong reason to give anything up, unless there's just some commonplace player—GM understanding between Walker and Presti that it would be a good faith move to not have to rely on "set off" in CBA.

If he didn't give up any then it wouldn't be a buyout.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#49 » by getrichordie » Thu Aug 5, 2021 1:40 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

That's a really good point, but it could be classified as a buyout if he gave up like $1 so it could initiate a "set off..."
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#50 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 2:58 pm

getrichordie wrote:

well to give up what the Knicks offered him is a pretty good reason. He can earn the same money for the team he wants.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,024

Post#51 » by slick_watts » Thu Aug 5, 2021 4:17 pm

getrichordie wrote:Since we rescinded Svi's Q.O., and assuming Kemba didn't give back anything and OKC is using the "set off" clause in the CBA, I'd estimate that we just opened up around $9-10M in cap room, assuming a 2-year/$17M deal for Kemba in New York. CBA isn't really clear on how New York's team option on Kemba's contract affects thing so this is a very rough estimation.

Estimated cap room currently is around $35-37M.

teams can waive set-off rights, which the thunder may have done in this case. it would depend on the amount of money kemba agreed to leave on the table, i'd guess. we do not know this figure yet.

rescinding a qualifying offer does not automatically remove the free agent cap hold. under normal circumstances, if a team rescinds a qualifying offer prior to july 13 they can still retain early bird or bird free agent rights- they would have to renounce those as well. i'm not sure what the date for this is in the modified cba schedule but i would guess one week after the moratorium is lifted, in which case svi may still have a cap hold.

also the set-off amount would be equal to one half of the difference between kemba walker's new salary and the league minimum for a one year veteran. so something in the neighborhood of $3-$4 million or so.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,024

Post#52 » by slick_watts » Thu Aug 5, 2021 4:24 pm

getrichordie wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

That's a really good point, but it could be classified as a buyout if he gave up like $1 so it could initiate a "set off..."

set off rights are not contingent on whether or not guaranteed salary is reduced as part of a buyout agreement. think of the 'buyout' portion and 'waivers' portion as separate transactions. the buyout part is the player agreeing to reduce the guaranteed salary owed to him, and the waiver process being the normal process any released player goes through. one has no effect on the other, except that the player must be released after a buyout agreement.

the only consequence of a buyout is that the releasing team cannot re-sign the player for one year or until whenever the waived contract would have ended, whichever is later.
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,906

Post#53 » by Dn4sty » Thu Aug 5, 2021 5:41 pm

slick_watts wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:If he didn't give up any then it wouldn't be a buyout.

set off rights are not contingent on whether or not guaranteed salary is reduced as part of a buyout agreement. think of the 'buyout' portion and 'waivers' portion as separate transactions. the buyout part is the player agreeing to reduce the guaranteed salary owed to him, and the waiver process being the normal process any released player goes through. one has no effect on the other, except that the player must be released after a buyout agreement.

the only consequence of a buyout is that the releasing team cannot re-sign the player for one year or until whenever the waived contract would have ended, whichever is later.

Welcome back
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#54 » by getrichordie » Thu Aug 5, 2021 7:22 pm

slick_watts wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:If he didn't give up any then it wouldn't be a buyout.

Ah, gotcha. That clears things up. The way the CBA wording is set up, and from my sports agent friend telling me about it, I definitely did not think it worked that way, but this makes a lot more sense now. I was thinking ‘total compensation’ meant total contract signed with new team hence my estimated figures being off base.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#55 » by cjmcallist » Thu Aug 5, 2021 8:58 pm

getrichordie wrote:

Man, maybe I'm naive - but then why did we let him go? I just don't see that he had any leverage in this situation. You want out? Play better. Oh, you tried, but can't live up to your salary? Then give some money back.

But, could be that Presti doesn't feel like he has the ability to strong arm players in OKC. But, I definitely don't want to set a precedent here.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#56 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 9:09 pm

cjmcallist wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

Man, maybe I'm naive - but then why did we let him go? I just don't see that he had any leverage in this situation. You want out? Play better. Oh, you tried, but can't live up to your salary? Then give some money back.

But, could be that Presti doesn't feel like he has the ability to strong arm players in OKC. But, I definitely don't want to set a precedent here.

Basically his agent can argue : you guys don't want him to win games for you and you have too many guards to develop.

Presti could argue that Kemba can still get some value for OKC later in his contract and that Kemba can go to the team he wants if he gives up AT LEAST what he's going to earn in his next contract.

Such a win/win buy out that it's crazy if Kemba didn't give up something back.

Think it's fair if Kemba gave up the amount of money the Knicks are paying him this season but Presti made some weird moves/bad value lately that I don't know anymore.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#57 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 9:12 pm

Btw I'm still waiting for the moment that "doing the right thing" for players gonna help us (send CP3 where he wanted, Al back to Boston, buy out Kemba etc.). At least before this buy out players knew that by playing pretty well Presti would do the best thing for them, now it's a bad precedent and they may insist on buy outs.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#58 » by spearsy23 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 11:03 pm

What weird moves/ bad value has presti made? That seems more like a 'moves I didn't like' thing to me. Outside of the trade for JRE he's gotten pretty good value on everything.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#59 » by getrichordie » Thu Aug 5, 2021 11:16 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Anyone see a pattern here?

Also, seems like Charlotte is trying to land Markkanen so seems we might not be going after him.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#60 » by spearsy23 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 11:27 pm

We have cap space, we're going to be linked to every free agent by their agent as leverage for more money

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder