ImageImageImage

Welcome Jaden Springer

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Re: Welcome Jaden Springer 

Post#41 » by Kolkmania » Tue Aug 3, 2021 7:30 am

Haven't watched any college basketball, but at least he meets the STL%, BLK% and FTr criteria while having a respectable USG% and AST% as a guard. Swing skill will obviously be his shooting, will he be able to speed it up, then a rotation spot as a 3&D guard is not years away because of his defense.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,794

Post#42 » by Negrodamus » Thu Aug 5, 2021 5:18 pm

I'm watching one of his good games (Alabama vs Tenn) and he looks predictably great on defense and absolutely not an NBA level offensive player. Extremely basic moves. Should be a 3&D guard based on what I've watched. Probably doesn't help that he's playing with Keon Johnson who has a much more diverse arsenal of offensive moves.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,736

Post#43 » by phillynative » Thu Aug 5, 2021 5:36 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I'm watching one of his good games (Alabama vs Tenn) and he looks predictably great on defense and absolutely not an NBA level offensive player. Extremely basic moves. Should be a 3&D guard based on what I've watched. Probably doesn't help that he's playing with Keon Johnson who has a much more diverse arsenal of offensive moves.

Exactly what I was thinking. Not great on or off the ball, solid handles but not enough shake to get past anyone added to the fact he lacks explosion.
He will have to work on his catch and shoot 3 to get to his potential as a 3&D guard.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#44 » by Negrodamus » Thu Aug 5, 2021 5:38 pm

phillynative wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:I'm watching one of his good games (Alabama vs Tenn) and he looks predictably great on defense and absolutely not an NBA level offensive player. Extremely basic moves. Should be a 3&D guard based on what I've watched. Probably doesn't help that he's playing with Keon Johnson who has a much more diverse arsenal of offensive moves.

Exactly what I was thinking. Not great on or off the ball, solid handles but not enough shake to get past anyone added to the fact he lacks explosion.
He will have to work on his catch and shoot 3 to get to his potential as a 3&D guard.

He's one of those fool's gold guys who stats suggest a star since he hits elite prerequisite numbers in stls, shooting, asts, etc plus has youth on his side. But man, his tape is a snooze fest. I can't believe evaluators watched his tape and Miles McBride and thought he had better longterm career outlook.
Madd Squabbles
Junior
And1: 192

Post#45 » by Madd Squabbles » Thu Aug 5, 2021 6:20 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
phillynative wrote:

He's one of those fool's gold guys who stats suggest a star since he hits elite prerequisite numbers in stls, shooting, asts, etc plus has youth on his side. But man, his tape is a snooze fest. I can't believe evaluators watched his tape and Miles McBride and thought he had better longterm career outlook.

Springer projects to be the better player when he is McBrides age. Springer is a long-term investment with a higher upside.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#46 » by Negrodamus » Thu Aug 5, 2021 6:24 pm

Madd Squabbles wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
phillynative wrote:

Springer projects to be the better player when he is McBrides age. Springer is a long-term investment with a higher upside.

Who is doing this projecting? His stats would have been far worse if he didn't have Keon Johnson and Vescovi keeping the ball out of his hands. He's decidedly not a point guard nor is he much of a creator. McBride at least ran the entire offense for WVU this year.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,677

Post#47 » by stormi » Thu Aug 5, 2021 10:33 pm

Intrigued to see him play come SL. He seems like a great kid. Hard worker, good size for his position, cool demeanour. He's been a bigger name for his age group since he was a child. Star on the AAU circuit, prestigious 5 star HS recruit. Went to a top academy.

That being said he was one of my lesser favorite guard targets that were compared in his range. I also liked Butler and McBride over him, who went after him.

He's an analytics darling, and they paint a projection of a very solid pro at the next level. He's also very locked in defensively with the mechanics of a good to great shooter.

He's so awkward off the dribble though. His wiggle isn't very natural and his shot creation is still a major WIP.

I think we'll get a better evaluation of where this kid is at once we get to see him playing actual games in a Sixers jersey. I don't want to totally miscast him as a non-dribbler because I feel like his bag is underrated. Also so so young.

I'd love to see him and Maxey form a bond and start going at each other every day in practice. I'm a firm believer in having Tatum around made Brown better and vice versa. Iron sharpens iron type of thing.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,538

Post#48 » by SixthStreet » Thu Aug 5, 2021 10:43 pm

It only makes sense if he was actually impacted by the supposed ankle issue. Otherwise he does not look like an NBA player on the Tennessee film. It makes me believe there's got to be something to the ankle narrative.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,797

Post#49 » by HotelVitale » Thu Aug 5, 2021 10:45 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
phillynative wrote:
Exactly what I was thinking. Not great on or off the ball, solid handles but not enough shake to get past anyone added to the fact he lacks explosion. He will have to work on his catch and shoot 3 to get to his potential as a 3&D guard.

I'm not excited either but it looks like there are some paths for him to become worthwhile. He plays hard and has okay size, and he has the shot and awareness/poise to be a 3D guy who can also attack a closeout and keep the ball moving. He also might develop a sweet floater (seems very possible) or learn how to draw some fouls off those closeout drives, seems to have the game and skills for that sort of thing so could happen. He should be fine if his shot is NBA rotation good, but there's a very good chance that doesn't happen and there's not a lot beyond that to look forward to.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#50 » by HotelVitale » Thu Aug 5, 2021 10:46 pm

This is a nice 'full highlights' (good and bad) type video, btw.
;list=PLcvWWzUR7OwY5-LaljoB0O7g_cD7U0V29&index=51&ab_channel=HardwoodHoopsCentral%27sNBADraftGreenRoom
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#51 » by DCasey91 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 11:00 pm

I believe Keon will be one of the steals of the draft. Latrell Sprewell is my comp/ceiling for him. Knicks done well to get him at 21.

Lol at the Pelicans taking Zhaire at ten would be better if they switched.

Warriors obv killed it with Kuminga (Top 5 easy) and Moody (Top 10).
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#52 » by DCasey91 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 11:05 pm

Scouts are still a ways off. Yes drafts aren’t an exact science but the people on the draft boards do a way more thorough and exact job on it.

The top five this year was that for a reason.

Mobley at 3
Barnes at 4 and Giddey at 6 (why I have no clue on these picks)
Suggs at 5 and Kuminga at 7
Moody at 14
Keon at 21
Cooper (who I don’t like but still) at 48

Bahumbug!

They’ll still get it wrong every year they are humans at the end of the day it’s up to the teams to not blunder the picks and/or grab the prospect that obviously shouldn’t be there relative to the draft position.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#53 » by HotelVitale » Thu Aug 5, 2021 11:14 pm

DCasey91 wrote:Scouts are still a ways off. Yes drafts aren’t an exact science but the people on the draft boards do a way more thorough and exact job on it.

Mobley at 3
Moody at 14
Keon at 21

Bahumbug!

They’ll still get it wrong every year they are humans at the end of the day it’s up to the teams to not blunder the picks and/or grab the prospect that obviously shouldn’t be there relative to the draft position.

Don’t know your history with draft watching, but if you’re batting better than the average gm, give it another year or two. I also think I have some insight into who’s over- and underrated most years, but there’s so much random unpredictablility in translation and development that even if your right it’s often not because of what you thought or why you loved some prospect. Either way I’d be little more gun shy about phrases like ‘scouts got a ways to go’ or they ‘got it wrong’ around something that’s so unknowable and imperfect. I do think GMs suffer from group think and have some other flaws but I don’t think any amateur scouts can pretend that they’re seeing how to do this right and can steer the ship into port with a straight face.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#54 » by DCasey91 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 11:31 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:Scouts are still a ways off. Yes drafts aren’t an exact science but the people on the draft boards do a way more thorough and exact job on it.

Mobley at 3
Moody at 14
Keon at 21

Bahumbug!

Don’t know your history with draft watching, but if you’re batting better than the average gm, give it another year or two. I also think I have some insight into who’s over- and underrated most years, but there’s so much random unpredictablility in translation and development that even if your right it’s often not because of what you thought or why you loved some prospect. Either way I’d be little more gun shy about phrases like ‘scouts got a ways to go’ or they ‘got it wrong’ around something that’s so unknowable and imperfect. I do think GMs suffer from group think and have some other flaws but I don’t think any amateur scouts can pretend that they’re seeing how to do this right and can steer the ship into port with a straight face.

Check the draft boards they pick up prospects months or even weeks before the media or scouts gets a hold of them. The Shai love was unbelievable and rightfully so... still he went lower than what he should have. It was like the worst kept secret lol

I mean sometimes it’s dead obvious especially the later picks.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#55 » by Negrodamus » Thu Aug 5, 2021 11:34 pm

SixthStreet wrote:It only makes sense if he was actually impacted by the supposed ankle issue. Otherwise he does not look like an NBA player on the Tennessee film. It makes me believe there's got to be something to the ankle narrative.

Here he is before the injured ankle. He's a 3&D player, if he can increase his 3FG volume and quicken that release. He'll benefit from playing with Danny Green.

It was a whatever pick packaged as an "upside" player.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,105

Post#56 » by Kobblehead » Thu Aug 5, 2021 11:35 pm

No pressure at all on Springer to develop his shotcreating. Just play defense, move the ball, and hit open threes. Grow this guy organically. Let Maxey be the creator (better suited). Play the long game with Springer.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,677

Post#57 » by stormi » Sat Aug 7, 2021 4:36 am

I wonder if he doesn't have a couple more inches of growth left in him. Youngest American player in the draft. Dad is 6'7, with brothers that are 6'6 and 6'9. This pick has home run potential.
Madd Squabbles
Junior
And1: 192

Post#58 » by Madd Squabbles » Sat Aug 7, 2021 5:04 am

DCasey91 wrote:

I believe Keon will be one of the steals of the draft. Latrell Sprewell is my comp/ceiling for him. Knicks done well to get him at 21.

Lol at the Pelicans taking Zhaire at ten would be better if they switched.

Warriors obv killed it with Kuminga (Top 5 easy) and Moody (Top 10).

Pelicans was drafting for Memphis. Memphis drafted for the Pelicans at 17. The swap was a result of a trade.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,516

Post#59 » by 76ciology » Sat Aug 7, 2021 6:08 am

If Sixers is looking for someone who can help them, they’d drafted Butler or Dosunmu. Maybe even Cooper. This is just an asset play for me.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#60 » by DCasey91 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 8:45 am

76ciology wrote:If Sixers is looking for someone who can help them, they’d drafted Butler or Dosunmu. Maybe even Cooper. This is just an asset play for me.

None of them are needle movers. Springer shouldn’t be looked at as an asset initially but because of poor management it’ll likely be which is disappointing.

Springer will be very good.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers