Our Basketball Savior, Justin Zanik

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Our Basketball Savior, Justin Zanik 

Post#1 » by AingesBurner » Wed Aug 4, 2021 10:38 pm

He's been a breath of fresh air, has made great moves this off-season. I am excited to see what he brings to the team. Everyones' thoughts on Zanik?

Also a shout out to the Basketball Holy Ghost, DWade for helping with the recruiting efforts.
Ingles is cooked.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Re: Our Basketball Savior, Justin Zanik 

Post#2 » by red4hf » Wed Aug 4, 2021 11:30 pm

You can't argue with any of the moves he has made...... Kudos to the ownership for being willing to pay a pretty hefty luxury tax bill as well......
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#3 » by stitches » Wed Aug 4, 2021 11:50 pm

I like the value of pretty much everything he's done. I'm questioning the fit and direction on a lot of them. Didn't do much to address our main weaknesses. I guess we'll see how it all goes over the next year or two... I don't mind most of it, but I'm not blown away with anything he's done either.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#4 » by AingesBurner » Wed Aug 4, 2021 11:57 pm

stitches wrote:I like the value of pretty much everything he's done. I'm questioning the fit and direction on a lot of them. Didn't do much to address our main weaknesses. I guess we'll see how it all goes over the next year or two... I don't mind most of it, but I'm not blown away with anything he's done either.

I think there is still a trade to happen.
Ingles is cooked.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#5 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 11:58 pm

Still waiting to see the defensive stopper signing.
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Post#6 » by sip » Thu Aug 5, 2021 12:16 am

I'm definitely not drinking the Kool aid as of now. I like Butler and Paschall but not a fan of the Gay and Whiteside moves. We needed to add perimeter defenders and as of now we haven't addressed that issue.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app
kamazilla
Senior
And1: 62

Post#7 » by kamazilla » Thu Aug 5, 2021 3:29 am

He's done nothing but improve the team and save money so far, but as mentioned still must address the team's most glaring weakness. I half expect a Bogey trade... and would be disappointed if the tweaking made thus far represents the full extent of significant changes.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,461

Post#8 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Aug 5, 2021 9:47 am

While I appreciate each individual move from a value standpoint, I agree with those who say that we have yet to address our weaknesses in a satisfactory way. We'll see what our final roster will shape out to be, but I'm still not seeing anything that makes me think we'll go further in the playoffs than where we've been up to this point.

That being said, DL didn't leave his replacement a lot to work with. Bloated payroll, aging roster, very few trade assets or draft picks. Under the circumstances, Zanik has done well this offseason, I just don't think it will be enough.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#9 » by AingesBurner » Thu Aug 5, 2021 6:05 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:While I appreciate each individual move from a value standpoint, I agree with those who say that we have yet to address our weaknesses in a satisfactory way. We'll see what our final roster will shape out to be, but I'm still not seeing anything that makes me think we'll go further in the playoffs than where we've been up to this point.

That being said, DL didn't leave his replacement a lot to work with. Bloated payroll, aging roster, very few trade assets or draft picks. Under the circumstances, Zanik has done well this offseason, I just don't think it will be enough.

DL went to the grocery store and bought a few steaks, couple potatoes, and some greens, he also bought **** that doesnt go with the steak dinner and now JZ is trying to be a chef with missing ingredients, hoping the neighbors may be able to sell him some ingredients or trade him some to really make it a good steak dinner. ****, maybe I'm still a little baked :lol:
Ingles is cooked.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#10 » by KqWIN » Thu Aug 5, 2021 7:14 pm

DL left Zanik with a roster that was the title favorite deep into the playoffs. I know we like to make everyone out to be a savior/villain....but that's not really how this thing works.

We complained about neglecting defense all of last season, and for good reason. We completely neglected it again, but now that the bogeyman is gone it doesn't matter? Funny how fanhood works. Once upon a time DL was the savior and he was until he wasn't.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#11 » by AingesBurner » Thu Aug 5, 2021 8:40 pm

KqWIN wrote:DL left Zanik with a roster that was the title favorite deep into the playoffs. I know we like to make everyone out to be a savior/villain....but that's not really how this thing works.

We complained about neglecting defense all of last season, and for good reason. We completely neglected it again, but now that the bogeyman is gone it doesn't matter? Funny how fanhood works. Once upon a time DL was the savior and he was until he wasn't.

Either you die a hero or live long enough to see yourself to become the villain.
Ingles is cooked.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#12 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 12:13 am

KqWIN wrote:DL left Zanik with a roster that was the title favorite deep into the playoffs. I know we like to make everyone out to be a savior/villain....but that's not really how this thing works.

I’m sure I am in the minority but I still believe DL did a pretty good job.

He drafted Donovan and Rudy who are anchoring a damn good playoff team that easily could have won a chip this year if not for injuries. And minus injuries they have a chance to make a run for title the next three years.

He put the team in a position that a billionaire wanted to come buy the team. And despite peoples feelings towards billionaires that is what is required to compete in todays NBA.

He helped oversee a good stadium and team facility upgrade.

He supposedly brought in some of the best medical staff. Although he, and the staff royally effed up this playoffs with the Donovan issue. Probably why he is gone.

His drafting at times was bad/weird (as well as good). I think everyone on this board knew Booker should be drafted over Lyles. And he seemed to get worse with sending out draft picks overtime. Probably was getting stressed he was going to lose his job (he was right). Hayward situation was pretty terrible.

I think I would give him a B+. People only remember the negative.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#13 » by AingesBurner » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:37 am

Is it me or does JZ look like the school counselor from South Park?
Ingles is cooked.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#14 » by zero24gravity » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:35 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:

I’m sure I am in the minority but I still believe DL did a pretty good job.

He drafted Donovan and Rudy who are anchoring a damn good playoff team that easily could have won a chip this year if not for injuries. And minus injuries they have a chance to make a run for title the next three years.

He put the team in a position that a billionaire wanted to come buy the team. And despite peoples feelings towards billionaires that is what is required to compete in todays NBA.

He helped oversee a good stadium and team facility upgrade.

He supposedly brought in some of the best medical staff. Although he, and the staff royally effed up this playoffs with the Donovan issue. Probably why he is gone.

His drafting at times was bad/weird (as well as good). I think everyone on this board knew Booker should be drafted over Lyles. And he seemed to get worse with sending out draft picks overtime. Probably was getting stressed he was going to lose his job (he was right). Hayward situation was pretty terrible.

I think I would give him a B+. People only remember the negative.

You're not the only one.

He also traded for All Star Conley, who has now re-signed, meaning the assets given up are justified further. Traded for 6th man of the year Clarkson and brought in Bogey. He re-signed Ingles to what many thought was a crazy contract, but was a steal. O'Neale? Yeah, another steal. Signed Joe Johnson, who was a playoff master in his year with the Jazz. Traded for Kyle Korver in '07, who broke 3-point records with the Jazz. Hell, you could even say getting Shelvin Mack, who started for the Jazz, in exchange for a 2nd round pick, was a great trade. (Ok, I'm pushing it there.)

Every GM is going to hit an miss, but KO did way more good than bad. Moves like drafting Exum, landing Andris Biedriņs or trading for Trey Burke, seemed like good moves at the time, but just didn't work out. There's not many (drafting Lyles over Booker) that really land in the "WTF category".
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#15 » by Cappy_Smurf » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:06 pm

I find it absolutely hilarious that Utah won more games than any other team in the league last year, and yet there are people here who think DL was a bad GM, based on the team being bounced earlier than we hoped in the playoffs, as if 2 of our 3 best players weren't dealing with injuries. :lol:

Having said that, I expect Zanic to continue the great work that this FO was already doing.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Post#16 » by sip » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:34 am

Cappy_Smurf wrote:I find it absolutely hilarious that Utah won more games than any other team in the league last year, and yet there are people here who think DL was a bad GM, based on the team being bounced earlier than we hoped in the playoffs, as if 2 of our 3 best players weren't dealing with injuries.

Having said that, I expect Zanic to continue the great work that this FO was already doing.
I love how mention us having players injured but don't mention the clippers missing Kawhi and Ibaka. Last offseason was an absolute disaster from Lindsey and it cost us a legit shot at the championship. Fans like you are the reason that there hasn't been any accountability in the front office for years.

zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#17 » by zero24gravity » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:13 pm

sip wrote:
Cappy_Smurf wrote:I find it absolutely hilarious that Utah won more games than any other team in the league last year, and yet there are people here who think DL was a bad GM, based on the team being bounced earlier than we hoped in the playoffs, as if 2 of our 3 best players weren't dealing with injuries.

I love how mention us having players injured but don't mention the clippers missing Kawhi and Ibaka. Last offseason was an absolute disaster from Lindsey and it cost us a legit shot at the championship. Fans like you are the reason that there hasn't been any accountability in the front office for years.

Fans like him that support the team and are proud to have had the #1 regular season team in the NBA? How dare he not be a malcontent arm-chair GM! :lol:

Exited to hear the insider info that verifies DL didn't try &/or turned down opportunities to make moves to address wing D or whatever else you see was needed, amongst fielding a team with the best record in the league. ... or is this opinion being presented as fact?

Fans don't hold FO's accountable, especially a team with such a loyal fan base as the Jazz. It's going to be a sell-out no matter what. But if you think you have the power to hold management accountable, well, good luck with that. Gonna be a long & disappointing road.

(This likely sounds more harsh than what I'm intending. It's more light-hearted meaning, I promise.)

Return to Utah Jazz