Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Re: Welcome Jaden Springer 

Post#62 » by Kobblehead » Sat Aug 7, 2021 12:03 pm

76ciology wrote:If Sixers is looking for someone who can help them, they’d drafted Butler or Dosunmu. Maybe even Cooper. This is just an asset play for me.

Other than Butler, I think Springer is better suited to help right away than all those guys.

Ayo and Sharife aren't going to help the Sixers defensively or with spacing the floor. Springer can do both right away.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#63 » by Kobblehead » Sat Aug 7, 2021 12:09 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:Should’ve picked Butler

Nah, Springer has more upside. Also, no reason to undertake the medical risk, considering this franchise's history with bad luck. Butler wasn't even allowed to workout with teams pre-draft. Needed to be cleared by a panel of physicians to even be considered "fit to play". He's still not participating on the court with Utah. No plans to compete in SL or practice yet. Does that sound like the kind of pick we should have made? Can you imagine if that backfires on us.
Madd Squabbles
Junior
And1: 192

Post#64 » by Madd Squabbles » Sat Aug 7, 2021 12:38 pm

DCasey91 wrote:
76ciology wrote:If Sixers is looking for someone who can help them, they’d drafted Butler or Dosunmu. Maybe even Cooper. This is just an asset play for me.

None of them are needle movers. Springer shouldn’t be looked at as an asset initially but because of poor management it’ll likely be which is disappointing.

Springer will be very good.

Why are you assuming that he will be poorly managed?
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,459

Post#65 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat Aug 7, 2021 12:43 pm

Kobblehead wrote:

Nah, Springer has more upside. Also, no reason to undertake the medical risk, considering this franchise's history with bad luck. Butler wasn't even allowed to workout with teams pre-draft. Needed to be cleared by a panel of physicians to even be considered "fit to play". He's still not participating on the court with Utah. No plans to compete in SL or practice yet. Does that sound like the kind of pick we should have made? Can you imagine if that backfires on us.

Yeah, it was a smart move to stay away from Butler. I'm betting that he really wont ever play in the NBA. They'll shelf him for a year and he'll be an afterthought. Now without the medical red flag, after watching the tournament....I would have taken him with our pick. I really like his game, but we just can't afford to keep taking these risks. Bynum, Noel, Embiid, Fultz, Smith, even Simmons sat out for a year. Gettin old at this point.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,713

Post#66 » by phillynative » Sat Aug 7, 2021 12:53 pm

stormi wrote:I wonder if he doesn't have a couple more inches of growth left in him. Youngest American player in the draft. Dad is 6'7, with brothers that are 6'6 and 6'9. This pick has home run potential.

I was thinking about that. Where did you get the family height info from?
Also if they have different moms may be a factor if he's is shorter than theirs.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,183

Post#67 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat Aug 7, 2021 12:57 pm

Kobblehead wrote:

This I had no idea about. That changes my perspective quite a bit.

Had Hyland been there at 28, who would you have picked between he and Springer?
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#68 » by DCasey91 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:08 pm

Madd Squabbles wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:

None of them are needle movers. Springer shouldn’t be looked at as an asset initially but because of poor management it’ll likely be which is disappointing.

Springer will be very good.

Why are you assuming that he will be poorly managed?

Because we are that. Springer might be the collateral to a Ben trade. That’s how far Ben’s value has gone down.

We really are a mediocre run franchise if we’re being honest. Embiid fell into our lap that’s basically it for 4 years.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#69 » by Kobblehead » Sat Aug 7, 2021 2:24 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:

This I had no idea about. That changes my perspective quite a bit.

Had Hyland been there at 28, who would you have picked between he and Springer?

Oof, tough question.

With draft night energy, I would have taken Hyland no question.

With more objectivity and closer eval, I'm glad we landed Springer. Both Springer and Hyland possess core four traits (dribble, pass, shoot, defend), but Springer is younger and bigger.

I think Springer's splits as a starter are an eye opener. I think he should have gone top 10. And I think he's closer to Suggs than people realize and might even be better.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,654

Post#70 » by stormi » Sat Aug 7, 2021 2:32 pm

phillynative wrote:
stormi wrote:I wonder if he doesn't have a couple more inches of growth left in him. Youngest American player in the draft. Dad is 6'7, with brothers that are 6'6 and 6'9. This pick has home run potential.

I was thinking about that. Where did you get the family height info from?
Also if they have different moms may be a factor if he's is shorter than theirs.

The mom stuff I didn't know about. I was just digging about for Springer content on reddit and saw that. Springer at 6'5 or 6'6 opens up his arsenal so much more defensively, and to play his physical brand of ball. His development is going to be super fun to track.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#71 » by Kobblehead » Sat Aug 7, 2021 2:41 pm

I really like Springer's style of scoring in the paint. He absorbs contact and then is super patient in his release until he's squared away and gets a good look at the rim. Reminds me of the way Andre Miller would finish for us for us back in the day. Drove defenses nuts that a below the rim player would score so many buckets on them with craft, physicality and patience. Springer has fantastic natural touch on those FGAs too.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,745

Post#72 » by Negrodamus » Sat Aug 7, 2021 4:15 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I really like Springer's style of scoring in the paint. He absorbs contact and then is super patient in his release until he's squared away and gets a good look at the rim. Reminds me of the way Andre Miller would finish for us for us back in the day. Drove defenses nuts that a below the rim player would score so many buckets on them with craft, physicality and patience. Springer has fantastic natural touch on those FGAs too.

I'm watching his tape from a page back that HotelVitale posted and man, he sucks at the rim so far. Blocked, awkward looking layups, short fadeaways... He just looks uncomfortable in the clips I've seen so far.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#73 » by Negrodamus » Sat Aug 7, 2021 4:26 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#74 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat Aug 7, 2021 4:52 pm

He's Markelle Fultz all over again, but the good version. That's actually who he reminds me of. The way he moves, body type, even his shot (pre NBA Markelle). I don't know...He's literally a Fultz clone. Big, strong, deceptively quick. Not the point guard that Fultz is, but he looks like he's going to be a good NBA player. He's got the size and strength to get his shot off at the next level. I love his mid range game, he's just very smooth, very fluid athlete. Like I said, not the floor general that Fultz is, but he's not far off in terms of talent. We got a steal.
phillynative
General Manager

Post#75 » by phillynative » Sat Aug 7, 2021 4:58 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:He's Markelle Fultz all over again, but the good version. That's actually who he reminds me of. The way he moves, body type, even his shot (pre NBA Markelle). I don't know...He's literally a Fultz clone. Big, strong, deceptively quick. Not the point guard that Fultz is, but he looks like he's going to be a good NBA player. He's got the size and strength to get his shot off at the next level. I love his mid range game, he's just very smooth, very fluid athlete. Like I said, not the floor general that Fultz is, but he's not far off in terms of talent. We got a steal.

Nah Fultz was a better ball handler and athlete
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#76 » by Negrodamus » Sat Aug 7, 2021 4:59 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:He's Markelle Fultz all over again, but the good version. That's actually who he reminds me of. The way he moves, body type, even his shot (pre NBA Markelle). I don't know...He's literally a Fultz clone. Big, strong, deceptively quick. Not the point guard that Fultz is, but he looks like he's going to be a good NBA player. He's got the size and strength to get his shot off at the next level. I love his mid range game, he's just very smooth, very fluid athlete. Like I said, not the floor general that Fultz is, but he's not far off in terms of talent. We got a steal.

I disagree, Fultz had a longer wingspan, more athletic (by a substantial margin, I think), and was/is in another world better as a passer. Also better handler. If he had a consistent jumper and his FT% was even 73+%, I would have been on board with making him the #1 pick because he had the full package on offense.

Jaden, OTOH, is a smarter/better defender and is, presumably, a more consistent shooter. He looks good in C&S situations and close outs that turn into jumpers but horrendous when creating his own shot off the dribble.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#77 » by 76ciology » Sat Aug 7, 2021 5:07 pm

Jaden is nowhere near as good as Fultz.

Fultz, multi-positional player on both ends. Match-up problem for defense. Potentially 3 level scorer. Natural on ISO, natural on post and natural on pick and roll. He is the closest thing to being the perfect PG prospect in today’s game.

Jaden more like Fournier or Jordan Clarkson on offense for me. He’ll drop empty 16-18ppg while being a good defender.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#78 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat Aug 7, 2021 5:09 pm

phillynative wrote:

Like I said....HE"S NOT THE POINT GUARD THAT FULTZ IS. Meaning...He doesn't have the handles. To me, Fultz is comparable to Fultz in some aspects though. He's somewhere in the conversation with Fultz, Brogdon, and Marcus Smart. That should be a good player for years to come.
phillynative
General Manager

Post#79 » by phillynative » Sat Aug 7, 2021 5:14 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
phillynative wrote:

Like I said....HE"S NOT THE POINT GUARD THAT FULTZ IS. Meaning...He doesn't have the handles. To me, Fultz is comparable to Fultz in some aspects though. He's somewhere in the conversation with Fultz, Brogdon, and Marcus Smart. That should be a good player for years to come.

It's not about positions he's just not as good of a ball handler or athlete. He doesn't have any burst and he cannot finish at the rim like fultz because he lacks explosion, Explosions.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#80 » by Kobblehead » Sat Aug 7, 2021 5:22 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:I really like Springer's style of scoring in the paint. He absorbs contact and then is super patient in his release until he's squared away and gets a good look at the rim. Reminds me of the way Andre Miller would finish for us for us back in the day. Drove defenses nuts that a below the rim player would score so many buckets on them with craft, physicality and patience. Springer has fantastic natural touch on those FGAs too.

I'm watching his tape from a page back that HotelVitale posted and man, he sucks at the rim so far. Blocked, awkward looking layups, short fadeaways... He just looks uncomfortable in the clips I've seen so far.

It appears to work for him, given the percentages (65.4% FG% at the rim). Far more explosive athlete teammate Keon Johnson finished 7% worse at the rim despite being assisted on more buckets there. I think Springer is a sneaky good finisher. Just a strong, crafty kid.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers