ImageImageImage

Boston Celtics: Point Guard Rotation, 2021-22

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,947

Re: Boston Celtics: Point Guard Rotation, 2021-22 (Do we need a Starter?) 

Post#41 » by Parliament10 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 7:17 pm

Automattic wrote:Do you think that Schroder is a real possibility?

https://hoopshype.com/2021/08/06/sources-boston-celtics-interested-in-signing-dennis-schroeder/

Read on Twitter

Plot Thickens.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Re: Boston Celtics: Point Guard Rotation, 2021-22 (Do we need a Starter?) 

Post#42 » by cloverleaf » Fri Aug 6, 2021 7:20 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:no. We have Pritchard. Arguably the 2nd best combination of BBIQ, offense and defense on the team behind only Tatum. I think he can have a Lowry type career if given the chance and even be the #2 we sorely need. Smart is best as the 6th man. PG, with Pritchard, is set for the next 6-8 years.

Pritchard, starting and getting 32 mpg, I would expect 20-5-7 with 40% from three with above average defense. Essentially, a better VanVleet.

I'm a Pritchard fan and I expect him to improve his P&R D, especially, this year, while showing more leadership on O. Plus, I understand the C's are weak on 5-tool players, while JB is still weak on BBIQ.

But just no.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: Boston Celtics: Point Guard Rotation, 2021-22 

Post#43 » by Parliament10 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 2:22 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#44 » by ParticleMan » Sat Aug 7, 2021 11:53 am

So assuming the TT trade eventually happens we would have

Schroder, Pritchard, Dunn, Yam
Smart, Nesmith, Carsen
Brown, Romeo
Tatum, GWill, Parker
Horford, Rwill, Fernando

I like the team defensively. Offense will be a slog. Brutal spacing, teams will just dare Schroder and Smart to shoot.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#45 » by cloverleaf » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:08 pm

ParticleMan wrote:So assuming the TT trade eventually happens we would have

Smart, Nesmith, Carsen
Brown, Romeo
Tatum, GWill, Parker
Horford, Rwill, Fernando

I like the team defensively. Offense will be a slog. Brutal spacing, teams will just dare Schroder and Smart to shoot.

Yep. For that backcourt I think you'd have to pair Shroder with Nesmith and Smart with Pritchard, whoever starts. The tricky part is both Schroder and Smart would likely be prickly about coming off the bench. That's why I really don't think you want them on the same team. Also, I think Rob needs to start over Al at this point. You forgot Enes. Fernando? I still don't think he belongs here.
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,784

Post#46 » by flintsky21 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:13 pm

What Schroder will bring to this team from the PG position that Smart and PP won't is the ability to attack the basket and put pressure to opposing defenses. That brings a new aspect on offense for a largely jumpshooting team.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#47 » by ParticleMan » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:20 pm

cloverleaf wrote:

Smart, Nesmith, Carsen
Brown, Romeo
Tatum, GWill, Parker
Horford, Rwill, Fernando

Yep. For that backcourt I think you'd have to pair Shroder with Nesmith and Smart with Pritchard, whoever starts. The tricky part is both Schroder and Smart would likely be prickly about coming off the bench. That's why I really don't think you want them on the same team. Also, I think Rob needs to start over Al at this point. You forgot Enes. Fernando? I still don't think he belongs here.

i agree about the pairings, and also that one of schroder or smart would be unhappy with that.

yep, forgot about enes :oops: i don't know which of horford or rwill should start, i suppose it might switch based on matchups. rob might be more effective if he gets to play against the other team's backups.

i honestly don't know what we'd do with fernando or dunn. can't we just trade TT without getting anything back lol?
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#48 » by cloverleaf » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:26 pm

ParticleMan wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Smart, Nesmith, Carsen
Brown, Romeo
Tatum, GWill, Parker
Horford, Rwill, Fernando

i agree about the pairings, and also that one of schroder or smart would be unhappy with that.

yep, forgot about enes :oops: i don't know which of horford or rwill should start, i suppose it might switch based on matchups. rob might be more effective if he gets to play against the other team's backups.

i honestly don't know what we'd do with fernando or dunn. can't we just trade TT without getting anything back lol?

Still spiraling down from the Thompson nut, at least Bruno is cheap. (And you need at least another deep bencher to keep Carsen company without a legit beef for not playing.) Dunn's at $5M, so I'm pretty sure there'll be another deal coming, even if it's just revisiting the Presti bank.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#49 » by Parliament10 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 3:28 pm

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,543

Post#50 » by playa-hater » Sat Aug 7, 2021 3:32 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

wonder what the Over/under is for Smart accepting or turning it down.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Matt5
Junior
And1: 300

Post#51 » by Matt5 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 6:07 pm

playa-hater wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think that Smart believes he signed a discount deal last time. This may explain why is considering this one. Especially, if he was looking for a 4 year/ $20M deal. Do we know if the $17M is per year or if it escalates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He said "I don't know man, ah she kinda funny, you know"
I said "I know, everybody funny, now you funny too"!
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,930

Post#52 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Aug 7, 2021 6:30 pm

Automattic wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think that Smart believes he signed a discount deal last time. This may explain why is considering this one. Especially, if he was looking for a 4 year/ $20M deal. Do we know if the $17M is per year or if it escalates?

He did sign a discount deal the last time.
greenpierce
Pro Prospect
And1: 148

Post#53 » by greenpierce » Sat Aug 7, 2021 6:55 pm

He may believe that, but I don’t think anyone else feels he out-played that contract.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#54 » by cloverleaf » Sat Aug 7, 2021 7:00 pm

Automattic wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is the C's offered the $17M/yr, as Murphy reported, and Smart is holding out for the max permitted, which starts just over $17M and averages about $19M/yr. Maybe they settle at $18M/yr, but Smart's got a good negotiator for an agent, so Rookie Brad may get worked over...
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#55 » by moonie_mcgee » Sat Aug 7, 2021 11:43 pm

flintsky21 wrote:What Schroder will bring to this team from the PG position that Smart and PP won't is the ability to attack the basket and put pressure to opposing defenses. That brings a new aspect on offense for a largely jumpshooting team.

:nod: Schroder is very crafty at getting to the basket. If he's in space he can really create for himself and find others. I always wanted Ainge to get him while we had Theis as they're very close. To whoever said Schroder with a heavy one year contract with a player option, Id totally be behind that. Schroder can really score.
That's the Way of the World
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#56 » by moonie_mcgee » Sat Aug 7, 2021 11:53 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Still spiraling down from the Thompson nut, at least Bruno is cheap. (And you need at least another deep bencher to keep Carsen company without a legit beef for not playing.) Dunn's at $5M, so I'm pretty sure there'll be another deal coming, even if it's just revisiting the Presti bank.

I think Hayes (sic?) and Bruno will bring much needed muscle to the front court. Plus we have Kanter back, Horford instead of Walker and a rehabbed RWill. Plus the undrafted 6'8 shooter has a solid frame. All this is an upgrade over last year. Plus Richardson and Dunn have good size and strength in the backcourt. AND Nesmith Langford and Pritch will all be stronger. If anything Stevens and the new coach see strength and toughness as vital to good season. We're going to compete. Win or lose, we're going to compete or no one is gonna come here. Last year was an embarrassment.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#57 » by cloverleaf » Sun Aug 8, 2021 12:10 am

moonie_mcgee wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:

I think Hayes (sic?) and Bruno will bring much needed muscle to the front court. Plus we have Kanter back, Horford instead of Walker and a rehabbed RWill. Plus the undrafted 6'8 shooter has a solid frame. All this is an upgrade over last year. Plus Richardson and Dunn have good size and strength in the backcourt. AND Nesmith Langford and Pritch will all be stronger. If anything Stevens and the new coach see strength and toughness as vital to good season. We're going to compete. Win or lose, we're going to compete or no one is gonna come here. Last year was an embarrassment.

Agreed, Moonie, last year was an embarrassment. I just want enough shooting for the Jays to have the spacing to learn to pass out to their teammates. Nesmith and Pritchard are gonna have to earn big minutes for them to get that at this point. Would be great for Hauser to surprise by earning minutes as well, but that's asking a lot as an undrafted player at his position. Counting on him, Bruno and Dunn to be legit rotation players is asking a lot--and Al is old.
Theocy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,428

Post#58 » by Theocy » Sun Aug 8, 2021 1:00 am

cloverleaf wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Agreed, Moonie, last year was an embarrassment. I just want enough shooting for the Jays to have the spacing to learn to pass out to their teammates. Nesmith and Pritchard are gonna have to earn big minutes for them to get that at this point. Would be great for Hauser to surprise by earning minutes as well, but that's asking a lot as an undrafted player at his position. Counting on him, Bruno and Dunn to be legit rotation players is asking a lot--and Al is old.

How is Dunns defensive skillset ?
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#59 » by moonie_mcgee » Sun Aug 8, 2021 2:52 am

Theocy wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:

How is Dunns defensive skillset ?

Dunn is a big solid guard who can guard points. Ifvwe keep them Smart Richardson and Dunn along with Pritch and Romey we'd have a very good perimeter d team.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,152

Post#60 » by Hal14 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 3:56 am

Smart, Nesmith, Carsen
Brown, Romeo
Tatum, GWill, Parker
Horford, Rwill, Fernando

you're forgetting Kanter and Richardson

And schroder deal is not done yet..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)

Return to Boston Celtics