ImageImageImage

Why did the Heat trade away…

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

HEATVols865
General Manager
And1: 6,644

Why did the Heat trade away… 

Post#1 » by HEATVols865 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 1:48 pm

Rony Seikaly, Steve Smith and Grant Long for nothing?
I was in a Wikipedia rabbit hole and came across this:

In 1994–95, the team unexpectedly overhauled their roster, trading away Seikaly, Smith and Grant Long in exchange for Kevin Willis and Billy Owens. It was a widely unpopular decision, as the Miami community had grown to love Smith, Long and Seikaly, and the owners' sudden decision to trade them away left a bitter taste in the mouths of the fans, especially since Willis and Owens were busts.

Why did the ownership do that? Those guys along with G-Money had just delivered the first ever winning record for the franchise and they traded them for Kevin Willis and Billy Owens?!?!

What’s the story behind it? This is right as I was becoming a fan and living in Brazil we didn’t get a lot of NBA news in depth.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
#HEATLifer #VFL

You're welcome LeBron.

Tyler Herro is a TURD.
Bam is NOT elite but is getting better.
Fire Spoelstra!
Josh Heupel is coming for you.

I’m a proud admirer and lover of BBWs!

Formerly known as Brazilian, QueenOfFairies and HEATlanta.
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,167

Re: Why did the Heat trade away… 

Post#2 » by Heat3 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 1:58 pm

HEATVols865 wrote:Rony Seikaly, Steve Smith and Grant Long for nothing?

In 1994–95, the team unexpectedly overhauled their roster, trading away Seikaly, Smith and Grant Long in exchange for Kevin Willis and Billy Owens. It was a widely unpopular decision, as the Miami community had grown to love Smith, Long and Seikaly, and the owners' sudden decision to trade them away left a bitter taste in the mouths of the fans, especially since Willis and Owens were busts.

Why did the ownership do that? Those guys along with G-Money had just delivered the first ever winning record for the franchise and they traded them for Kevin Willis and Billy Owens?!?!

What’s the story behind it? This is right as I was becoming a fan and living in Brazil we didn’t get a lot of NBA news in depth.

Because the Heat management before Arison/Riley were garbage.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

HEATVols865
General Manager

Post#3 » by HEATVols865 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 2:03 pm

Heat3 wrote:

Is it that simple? LOL

If it is, this is Exhibit A on why those who want Pat gone need to be careful with what they wish for.

That reminded me of when the window stickers for the Heat XX celebration took place that someone on here, and I hate I forgot, grabbed me one and mailed it to me.

#HEATLifer #VFL

You're welcome LeBron.

Tyler Herro is a TURD.
Fire Spoelstra!

Heat3
RealGM

Post#4 » by Heat3 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 2:11 pm

HEATVols865 wrote:
Heat3 wrote:

Is it that simple? LOL

If it is, this is Exhibit A on why those who want Pat gone need to be careful with what they wish for.

That reminded me of when the window stickers for the Heat XX celebration took place that someone on here, and I hate I forgot, grabbed me one and mailed it to me.

Sadly it is that simple. Nothing deep behind it. Billy Cunningham and Lewis Schaffel were called Silly Billy and Screwy Lewis by some of the media down here. I still don’t understand trading away Smith. Back then the Heat were like the Marlins now. They had a rich owner (Arison’s father) but these were jokers actually in charge as minority owners/executives. Micky Arison took over and bought them out then brought Riley in.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#5 » by HeatFanLifer » Sun Aug 8, 2021 2:11 pm

I was curious what they were thinking to. Here’s an article on why they traded Seikaly:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-1994-11-03-9411030164-story.html

Looks like Seikaly wanted out.

Miami also acquired the rights to European standout Predrag Danilovic, a guard who already is committed to play in Italy this season.

"He's the best player in Europe," Cunningham said.

:lol:
OP for NBA FT record
Heat3
RealGM

Post#6 » by Heat3 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 2:18 pm

I think that was just Seikaly looking at it from a positive side. I don’t believe he asked out.

I thought Sasha Danilovic would be the next Drazen Petrovic :lol:

HeatFanLifer
General Manager

Post#7 » by HeatFanLifer » Sun Aug 8, 2021 3:20 pm

Heat3 wrote:I think that was just Seikaly looking at it from a positive side. I don’t believe he asked out.

Seikaly does admit he asked for a trade last season, saying he no longer could play for Loughery.

"How can you keep someone on this team who doesn't want to play for your coach and no longer respects him?" Schaffel wondered.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1994-11-06-9411060230-story.html
OP for NBA FT record
Heat3
RealGM

Post#8 » by Heat3 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 4:13 pm

HeatFanLifer wrote:
Heat3 wrote:I think that was just Seikaly looking at it from a positive side. I don’t believe he asked out.

Seikaly does admit he asked for a trade last season, saying he no longer could play for Loughery.

"How can you keep someone on this team who doesn't want to play for your coach and no longer respects him?" Schaffel wondered.

I stand corrected.

HEATVols865
General Manager

Post#9 » by HEATVols865 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 7:57 pm

HeatFanLifer wrote:

Well the coach sucked so it looks like they screwed the pooch. Yikes!

#HEATLifer #VFL

You're welcome LeBron.

Tyler Herro is a TURD.
Fire Spoelstra!

HEATVols865
General Manager

Post#10 » by HEATVols865 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 7:58 pm

Heat3 wrote:
HEATVols865 wrote:
Heat3 wrote:

Is it that simple? LOL

Sadly it is that simple. Nothing deep behind it. Billy Cunningham and Lewis Schaffel were called Silly Billy and Screwy Lewis by some of the media down here. I still don’t understand trading away Smith. Back then the Heat were like the Marlins now. They had a rich owner (Arison’s father) but these were jokers actually in charge as minority owners/executives. Micky Arison took over and bought them out then brought Riley in.

See? When people complain about Micky and Riley I wonder if they ever knew how bad this franchise was before both of them.
Micky gets a bad name for the Mike Miller move but he was right! He would have paid the tax for someone contributing and Millet was not it.

#HEATLifer #VFL

You're welcome LeBron.

Tyler Herro is a TURD.
Fire Spoelstra!

BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,197

Post#11 » by BBallFreak » Sun Aug 8, 2021 8:03 pm

You guys are all wrong. They planned on selling the team and decided to clear the books so it would be easier to sell the new management on building the franchise the way they wanted to. They were basically setting it up for a fresh new start...
HEATVols865
General Manager

Post#12 » by HEATVols865 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 8:04 pm

BBallFreak wrote:You guys are all wrong. They planned on selling the team and decided to clear the books so it would be easier to sell the new management on building the franchise the way they wanted to. They were basically setting it up for a fresh new start...

Fresh start without talented players? WTF

#HEATLifer #VFL

You're welcome LeBron.

Tyler Herro is a TURD.
Fire Spoelstra!

BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by BBallFreak » Sun Aug 8, 2021 8:06 pm

HEATVols865 wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:You guys are all wrong. They planned on selling the team and decided to clear the books so it would be easier to sell the new management on building the franchise the way they wanted to. They were basically setting it up for a fresh new start...

They saw the limited ceiling and the long term contracts and decided to wipe the books clean, leaving Glen Rice (who Riley then traded away).
HEATVols865
General Manager

Post#14 » by HEATVols865 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 8:40 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
HEATVols865 wrote:

They saw the limited ceiling and the long term contracts and decided to wipe the books clean, leaving Glen Rice (who Riley then traded away).

Just think of Timmy, Smith, Mashburn, Jones, Mourning…

#HEATLifer #VFL

You're welcome LeBron.

Tyler Herro is a TURD.
Fire Spoelstra!

BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by BBallFreak » Sun Aug 8, 2021 8:50 pm

HEATVols865 wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
HEATVols865 wrote:Fresh start without talented players? WTF

You've got to have the cap space and the assets to get those guys. Riley was shrewd. He traded Rice, Reeves, and Matt Geiger for LeRon Ellis and Alonzo Mourning then traded Bimbo Coles and Kevin Willis for Tim Hardaway and Chris Gatling at the trade deadline, as well as every other contract that wasn't expiring. He finished the job they started and made room for guys like PJ Brown and Juwan Howard. Then we lost Howard and ended up trading Sasha and Hurt Thomas for Mashburn, found Voshon Lenard off of the scrap heap, and the rest is history...
HEATVols865
General Manager

Post#16 » by HEATVols865 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 9:05 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
HEATVols865 wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:They saw the limited ceiling and the long term contracts and decided to wipe the books clean, leaving Glen Rice (who Riley then traded away).

You've got to have the cap space and the assets to get those guys. Riley was shrewd. He traded Rice, Reeves, and Matt Geiger for LeRon Ellis and Alonzo Mourning then traded Bimbo Coles and Kevin Willis for Tim Hardaway and Chris Gatling at the trade deadline, as well as every other contract that wasn't expiring. He finished the job they started and made room for guys like PJ Brown and Juwan Howard. Then we lost Howard and ended up trading Sasha and Hurt Thomas for Mashburn, found Voshon Lenard off of the scrap heap, and the rest is history...

Out of all the guys we traded, only Rice was a very good player. All others were pure trash. How he pulled that off, I have no clue.

#HEATLifer #VFL

You're welcome LeBron.

Tyler Herro is a TURD.
Fire Spoelstra!

BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by BBallFreak » Sun Aug 8, 2021 9:11 pm

HEATVols865 wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
HEATVols865 wrote:Just think of Timmy, Smith, Mashburn, Jones, Mourning…

Coles, Willis, and Geiger were all decent. Billy Owens was OK. Everything else...yeesh...

But man did that man know how to tear it down and rebuild, quickly. Imagine if the Knicks had been smarter and handed control to Riley? Talk about a fork in the road...
HEATVols865
General Manager

Post#18 » by HEATVols865 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 9:14 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
HEATVols865 wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:You've got to have the cap space and the assets to get those guys. Riley was shrewd. He traded Rice, Reeves, and Matt Geiger for LeRon Ellis and Alonzo Mourning then traded Bimbo Coles and Kevin Willis for Tim Hardaway and Chris Gatling at the trade deadline, as well as every other contract that wasn't expiring. He finished the job they started and made room for guys like PJ Brown and Juwan Howard. Then we lost Howard and ended up trading Sasha and Hurt Thomas for Mashburn, found Voshon Lenard off of the scrap heap, and the rest is history...

Coles, Willis, and Geiger were all decent. Billy Owens was OK. Everything else...yeesh...

But man did that man know how to tear it down and rebuild, quickly. Imagine if the Knicks had been smarter and handed control to Riley? Talk about a fork in the road...

NEW YORK, WELCOME TO ANOTHER DECADE OF IRRELEVANCE!

#HEATLifer #VFL

You're welcome LeBron.

Tyler Herro is a TURD.
Fire Spoelstra!

BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by BBallFreak » Sun Aug 8, 2021 9:29 pm

HEATVols865 wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
HEATVols865 wrote:

NEW YORK, WELCOME TO ANOTHER DECADE OF IRRELEVANCE!

They finally look decent, but they're nothing special.

PG: Walker / Rose
Sg: Fournier / Quickley
Sf: Barrett / Knox
Pf: Randle / Toppin
Cc: Robinson / Noel

I mean, they're OK. Could push for a playoff spot. They just don't scare me. Thibbs has them playing well above their heads, I must say...
HeatFanLifer
General Manager

Post#20 » by HeatFanLifer » Sun Aug 8, 2021 10:37 pm

I brought sauces tho breh.
OP for NBA FT record

Return to Miami Heat