ImageImageImageImageImage

Simmons yes or no

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Which Warriors team do you want to watch the next two to three years

Simmons and better chance at chip sooner - no brainer you nab the star player
21%
Competitive Warriors watching Wiseman and Kuminga develop - deeper team and longer term hopes
79%

Total votes: 71

ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Simmons yes or no 

Post#1 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Aug 8, 2021 5:13 pm

For me this comes down to the joy of watching either
Simmons giving Warriors and edge this year for a chip or Warriors competing but also enjoying watching the younger dudes
Which do you prefer?
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
threethehardway
Rookie
And1: 1,773

Re: Simmons yes or no 

Post#2 » by threethehardway » Sun Aug 8, 2021 5:17 pm

Simmons isn't going to improve the Warriors chances.

Warriors need a big scoring wing or a top scoring guard. Not another guy that can't shoot but plays DPOY defense.
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#3 » by mos_def » Sun Aug 8, 2021 5:51 pm

For those 2 mentioned I would do it. But the rumor also includes Wiggins, which I dont want to do due to Klay returning
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,040

Post#4 » by Jester_ » Sun Aug 8, 2021 6:11 pm

No how can an efficient, all-NBA and all-defense player in his prime who thrives with shooters next to him possibly help us :roll: :banghead:

Sometimes I forget a crapload of people on this board wanted Monta over Steph
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Mob Byers
Rookie
And1: 767

Post#5 » by Mob Byers » Sun Aug 8, 2021 6:47 pm

I love our young guys and current depth. Depth helped us win pre-KD. I’m keeping them and this entire roster and seeing what we got this season.

Especially want to stay patient if Klay looks like ass. The chance to trade for Simmons was pre-draft. We scored two guys we wanted at 7.

FO/Ownership made it pretty clear we are “seeing what we got” for now. Too many “what if’s” to trade for Simmons. Unless it costs just Wiggins but we all know Morey wants the farm for him. Not worth it at this time.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#6 » by HiRez » Sun Aug 8, 2021 6:56 pm

I don't think Warriors are trading Kuminga to get Simmons and probably not Moody either. At most I think it would be Wiseman and a future pick or two. Still unlikely in any event. Let Philly stew on it until they're willing to send us picks to take him off their hands -- they need us a lot more than we need them.

EDIT: With Embiid and Drummond Philly probably doesn't need Wiseman either so it's probably not happening unless there's a 3rd team involved.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#7 » by a8bil » Sun Aug 8, 2021 6:58 pm

Where's the "hell no" selection?
a8bil
Analyst

Post#8 » by a8bil » Sun Aug 8, 2021 7:01 pm

Jester_ wrote:No how can an efficient, all-NBA and all-defense player in his prime who thrives with shooters next to him possibly help us :roll: :banghead:

Come on now...Simmons is a large part hype and definitely a flawed player. He's in his own head offensively...do we really need that?

Without Dray, Simmons is an interesting prospect. With Dray, Simmons only adds strength to the strongest aspect of the team last year, while creating more offensive problems. GSW could defend, but couldn't score down the stretch. How does Simmons solve that problem?
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 333

Post#9 » by Mac1958 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 7:19 pm

No thank you.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#10 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 7:31 pm

Jester_ wrote:No how can an efficient, all-NBA and all-defense player in his prime who thrives with shooters next to him possibly help us :roll: :banghead:

It depends on many factors ... like is the Simmons the Warriors get the same one we last saw? Is he really a head case who won't develop his game, and won't talk to his team? On top of that what does it cost the Warriors to get him?
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#11 » by lars_rosenberg » Sun Aug 8, 2021 7:33 pm

Regular season Simmons is great, but playoff Simmons is trash.
Last time I checked you need to win playoff games to bring home the Larry O'Brian trophy.

Btw, do you think Simmons could play point center for us? Basically PG on offense and center on defense.
His lack of shooting would be less damaging if you play him as C. Also he'd mess up opposing teams defensive assignments.
We're doing fine with Draymond and Looney, so if you replace Looney with Simmons, you should get better results.
If you place Simmons at the 3 then you need a stretch 5 which isn't easy to find (we have Bjelica, but he's not a starter I guess).
Curry Klay Porter Dray Simmons looks quite good, assuming Wiggins is traded to match salaries.
In any case I don't want to give up Moody and Kuminga for him.
I'd do Wiggins + 2 top 4 protected picks or Wiggins + Wiseman + one unprotected pick.
If Philly wants more, then fine, they can keep Simmons.
Mob Byers
Rookie
And1: 767

Post#12 » by Mob Byers » Sun Aug 8, 2021 7:35 pm

a8bil wrote:Where's the "hell no" selection?

In the other Ben Simmons thread/poll we have :lol:
Ilovethebay
Senior
And1: 166

Post#13 » by Ilovethebay » Sun Aug 8, 2021 7:40 pm

If the cost is Wiggins, one of the yougins and a couple future 1st’s and pick flops we should go for it. I like Wiggins as much as the next guy but these guys aren’t on the same level as players. Glad none of you guys are the actual GM :lol:
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,396

Post#14 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sun Aug 8, 2021 7:43 pm

I don’t think it’s worth it, because in the three point era, anyone making one out of two free throws will kill you. The offensive rhythm and fast breaks can be easily disrupted by hacking.

That’s why if the front office does a deal my hope is Wiggins is as far as they go. If sixers ask for more, then this team should ask for more back like throwing in Seth for more shooting.

As constructed, whether this team makes a deal or not, it’s good enough to compete. The sixers have to make a deal. The have a 30 million dollar anchor.
a8bil
Analyst

Post#15 » by a8bil » Sun Aug 8, 2021 8:13 pm

Ilovethebay wrote:If the cost is Wiggins, one of the yougins and a couple future 1st’s and pick flops we should go for it. I like Wiggins as much as the next guy but these guys aren’t on the same level as players. Glad none of you guys are the actual GM :lol:
The same could be said about the Simmons fanboys...

It's clear now that Simmons is a very flawed player. The fear to shoot, or to have the ball in your hands in crunch time make Simmons a liability. There is no debate about it. That is why the 76ers are trying to dump him. That doesn't seem to have sunk in with you. Great versatile defender and good playmaker. Rebounds his position well. Those are his positives right now. Otherwise the bloom is off the Simmons rose.

As I said, if you don't have Dray, you jump on Simmons because they play the same role, though consider what you would've given up for Dray 5 years ago. I doubt it's the package you mention.

With Dray, Simmons has no obvious role on this team, except coming off the bench....way too high a price for a bench player. You put him in the first rotation and you have what? Simmons at point, steph at 2, Klay at 3, Dray at 4 and Looney at 5? 3 players with no offensive game? Will not work. Tell me the rotation that will work and I'm all ears, but I don't see it.
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#16 » by tarantism » Sun Aug 8, 2021 8:16 pm

I'd say no to the Kuminga/Wiseman/Moody option but yes to Wiggins + a few future picks or swaps. If we buy low then it's a win for GSW.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 850

Post#17 » by DevinVassell » Sun Aug 8, 2021 8:22 pm

I understand the appeal. It's a high reward/high risk scenario.

But as his game is, that 30M+ is a negative contract. So even Wiggins straight up for Simmons is debatable for me.... also, I am a ridiculous homer to the core and love watching our own rookies develop.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#18 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Aug 8, 2021 8:28 pm

Not only do I not like Simmons refusal to shoot(I feel the same way as Bob Myers about it), I also don't like the fact that he wants to go to a California team to facilitate his Hollywood social life. Who thinks that's going to fit in here? Dude should quit basketball and cultivate a career as a social media influencer. Regardless, I want him as far away from our team as possible.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,836

Post#19 » by whatisacenter » Sun Aug 8, 2021 8:40 pm

I think the Warriors are the best fit for Ben Simmons but Ben isn't the best fit for the Warriors. If I knew that that developmental staff could fix his shot to an acceptable level and he was committed to improving I would trade Wiggins and an asset....but I don't think he is committed and I don't think that is enough to get him so it really doesn't matter.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,786

Post#20 » by floppymoose » Sun Aug 8, 2021 8:49 pm

I suspect I will regret this and that it will be bumped 3 years from now :-D ...

I'd rather let some other team rejuvenate Simmons. I've seen this movie before with Biedrins, and before that with Nick Anderson. Biedrins had 0 good seasons after he became afraid of free throws. Anderson only had 1 good season after. It's also a warning sign that we have a young player on a winning team and they can't hold their relationship together.

I'm not opposed for trading away youth for a disgruntled star, but Simmons is not my guy. He absolutely can be elite though. If he gets it together he can make the GM that trades for him look like a genius.

Return to Golden State Warriors