Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,081

Summer League 

Post#1 » by jbk1234 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 10:40 pm

Green v. Mobley tonight

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Summer League 

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 10:59 pm

Green is gonna be good. Mobley is looking pretty raw. Apparently the Cavs have a kid from Xavier who is able to convert a 3 point attempt.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 11:29 pm

I feel like Green and KPJ are going to either work really, really well, or not at all in terms of fit.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by jbk1234 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 12:29 am

Mobley looked promising but he's not walking in his rookie year and changing the Cavs fortunes as a starter. He's got some got some really good back to the basketball play from the post and offers rim protection defensively. His outside shooting needs work, as does his rebounding, and he's got to put some weight on.

Green was cooking with both Okoro and Stevens on him. He's going to be really, really good.

Okoro's shot is still too flat.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by jbk1234 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 12:56 am

Cade looks legit. His D, passing and shooting are all as good as advertised. Sadiq Bey is still looking like a steal given where he was selected. Sekuo playing in the summer league after two full seasons is a bad sign for his career. I don't know if they plan on playing him at the 4, but he's overweight for the 3. Hayes might be a miss too.

OKC is very underwhelming.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 1:18 am

Okay, Cade now showing signs as to why he had some question marks. Having trouble getting to the rim off the dribble, turning it over, etc.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,368

Post#7 » by JonFromVA » Mon Aug 9, 2021 4:10 am

The only thing Summer league ever shows is that a player may not be ready for the speed or physicality of the NBA... and that the Cavs suck at finding shooters.

They looked like the real Cavs passing up 3s and trying to drive to the hoop and clanking most of the 3s they attempted.

Kabengele looks about ready to graduate from Summer league though.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#8 » by Harper4Ferry? » Mon Aug 9, 2021 6:13 am

starting lineup of Mobley/Stevens/Kabengele/Thomas/Okoro.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by jbk1234 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 2:35 pm

JonFromVA wrote:The only thing Summer league ever shows is that a player may not be ready for the speed or physicality of the NBA... and that the Cavs suck at finding shooters.

They looked like the real Cavs passing up 3s and trying to drive to the hoop and clanking most of the 3s they attempted.

I don't know man. Green was doing what he did against Okoro and Stevens, not Garland and Sexton. His game is going to translate in the NBA. He scored from all over the court and in a myriad of ways: off the dribble, catch and shoot, going towards the basket, going away from it, etc.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#10 » by Stillwater » Mon Aug 9, 2021 3:38 pm

They all looked terrible. The best player on the floor was Sengun and it wasn't close.
Mobley has that elite ceiling and I wish him well, but I bet this org ruins his career.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#11 » by Stillwater » Mon Aug 9, 2021 3:42 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:The only thing Summer league ever shows is that a player may not be ready for the speed or physicality of the NBA... and that the Cavs suck at finding shooters.

I don't know man. Green was doing what he did against Okoro and Stevens, not Garland and Sexton. His game is going to translate in the NBA. He scored from all over the court and in a myriad of ways: off the dribble, catch and shoot, going towards the basket, going away from it, etc.

Yeah he scored the same amount of points against nobody that Sexton has averaged over 3 seasons against teams best defenders...
Green can dazzle with his on ball ON BALL iso but he was never going to be a Cav. Barnes looks legit and better than Mobley out of the gate hell Sengun and Barnes should have gone 1-2 if you want premature over reaction to rule the thread here lol
Okoro should be traded asap he has not improved at all
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by jbk1234 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 3:56 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Yeah he scored the same amount of points against nobody that Sexton has averaged over 3 seasons against teams best defenders...
Green can dazzle with his on ball ON BALL iso but he was never going to be a Cav. Barnes looks legit and better than Mobley out of the gate hell Sengun and Barnes should have gone 1-2 if you want premature over reaction to rule the thread here lol
Okoro should be traded asap he has not improved at all

We knew Mobley was the higher ceiling, longer development prospect when we drafted him. Green is going to better than Garland, Sexton, or KPJ. It's not going to be particularly close either.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#13 » by JonFromVA » Mon Aug 9, 2021 4:26 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

I'm not claiming Green is going to suck, but we've seen plenty of Summer League superstars before, as well as greats that have struggled.

Green coming from the GLeague was well prepared for this and while Green did score on Okoro most of his damage was after a screen or against lesser defenders.

The intensity was good for SL but let's not kid ourselves about that either.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by jbk1234 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 4:35 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I'm not claiming Green is going to suck, but we've seen plenty of Summer League superstars before, as well as greats that have struggled.

Green coming from the GLeague was well prepared for this and while Green did score on Okoro most of his damage was after a screen or against lesser defenders.

I'll say this and leave it alone, the concerns about his jumper weren't warranted. He can shoot.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#15 » by JonFromVA » Mon Aug 9, 2021 6:36 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I'll say this and leave it alone, the concerns about his jumper weren't warranted. He can shoot.

i wasn't aware there were concerns about Green's jumper or his ability to create his own shot ... the question marks to be answered are in other areas.

Plus as we know with KPJ that step back is a tricky shot ... Harden isn't great because he can make it, but because he makes it consistently.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#16 » by KuruptedCav » Mon Aug 9, 2021 11:05 pm

Mobley didn’t look like Anthony Bennett. He’s raw and needs protein; but he seems to have instincts, speed, and a solid feel for the game. So, that’s fun.

Kabengele looking like he wants a Hartenstein’s job. Good for him. Still wish the Cavs had some more post depth, but, I wish the Cavs had depth pretty much anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Harper4Ferry?
Starter

Post#17 » by Harper4Ferry? » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:05 am

Pelton or someone else on ESPN had Sengun as their #1 translatable draft prospect based on his performances in the Turkey league, etc. The advanced metrics absolutely loved him. He seems like he could really be a steal where he went.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by jbk1234 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:37 am

Harper4Ferry? wrote:Pelton or someone else on ESPN had Sengun as their #1 translatable draft prospect based on his performances in the Turkey league, etc. The advanced metrics absolutely loved him. He seems like he could really be a steal where he went.
I watched the game and I have no idea where these takes are coming from.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Harper4Ferry?
Starter

Post#19 » by Harper4Ferry? » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:36 am

From Pelton.

1. Alperen Sengun
Center | Besiktas
Top 100: No. 15
Stats: No. 1

Consensus: 4.2 WARP

This year's top-rated prospect won't surprise anyone who's followed Sengun's domination of the Basketball Super League in his native Turkey. At age 18 (he turned 19 on Sunday), Sengun led the league with 8.9 WARP, nearly 3.5 more than any other player. He was chosen as MVP, producing the third-best stats-only projection in my database behind Luka Doncic and Anthony Davis.

It's understandable that scouts question whether that production will entirely translate. Sengun's stats-only projection is in the same ballpark as DeJuan Blair and Kenneth Faried, who enjoyed solid careers as role players but were never NBA stars. Still, there's little precedent for anyone as productive as Sengun truly failing as a pro.
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#20 » by LivingLegend » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:37 pm

So it looks like even with summer league randoms the Cavs still can't shoot.

Okoro is so good as a attacker/slasher. He really does have great finishing ability on his drives. I really really need him to become more of a 3pt shooting threat.

Mobley looks put of sort, looks like he's rushing his shot so far this game.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers