Summer league

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 716

Re: Summer league 

Post#61 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Aug 7, 2021 3:32 am

Wizop wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote: after the first 9 guys we’re a very heavy developmental back half of the roster.

Isn't that the answer to the we're too deep complaint?

Sent from my phone.

I’m confused with your reply. When I posted after looking at the almost complete roster I was feeling like the Pacers didn’t do near enough in free agency to better the team.
Disappointing we couldn’t do a trade to better the front half of the roster or at least add an equally quality free agent to the top 9.

I feel they did ok in the draft, but past the first 9 I have minimal confidence in the roster. Kinda feels like we replaced Doug with Duarte, Aaron with Craig, and added Jackson which all 3 feel like minor upgrades.
If say Sumner, Bitadze, Martin, or Brissett break out I’ll be happier but not holding my breath.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#62 » by Wizop » Sat Aug 7, 2021 12:24 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:I’m confused with your reply. When I posted after looking at the almost complete roster I was feeling like the Pacers didn’t do near enough.

Kinda feels like we replaced Doug with Duarte, Aaron with Craig, and added Jackson which all 3 feel like minor upgrades.

I thought some were saying players like Lamb and Justin and TJ could be replaced with cheaper players to spend more on the starters. Maybe that wasn't you. Aren't you in the replace two starters with a star and a role player camp?

I'd add that Jackson replaces JaKarr. That could change if we drop Martin later today

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#63 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Aug 7, 2021 11:38 pm

Wizop wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:I’m confused with your reply. When I posted after looking at the almost complete roster I was feeling like the Pacers didn’t do near enough.

Kinda feels like we replaced Doug with Duarte, Aaron with Craig, and added Jackson which all 3 feel like minor upgrades.

I thought some were saying players like Lamb and Justin and TJ could be replaced with cheaper players to spend more on the starters. Maybe that wasn't you. Aren't you in the replace two starters with a star and a role player camp?

I'd add that Jackson replaces JaKarr. That could change if we drop Martin later today

Sent from my phone.

Yes forgot Sampson replaced.

I’m in a couple of camps lol.
The trade either Sabonis or Turner plus Brogdon, Lamb, etc camp to get a star piece other than Simmons. That ship probably sailed as I don’t see the Pacers making a big trade.
I’ve also been ok with trading Lamb to get a different equivalent 2nd unit talent who plays defense and not fighting nagging injuries.
I’m resigned to the fact that there’s very little free agent talent left but would still love to get Lamb’s salary off the books for this year.
I don’t dislike our young talent like Martin, Brissett, Sumner, and Bitadze I just hope they all can take the next step and become second unit difference makers.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#64 » by Wizop » Sun Aug 8, 2021 1:19 am

Pacers Forever wrote:That ship probably sailed as I don’t see the Pacers making a big trade.

Nor did you see any other teams trading stars. The big names that moved were free agents. Many of the familiar names that moved were over 30 and still got multiyear deals. Did any team acquire a star in a deal you would have liked us to compete against?

Sent from my phone.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#65 » by Pacers Forever » Sun Aug 8, 2021 4:45 am

Wizop wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:That ship probably sailed as I don’t see the Pacers making a big trade.

Nor did you see any other teams trading stars. The big names that moved were free agents. Many of the familiar names that moved were over 30 and still got multiyear deals. Did any team acquire a star in a deal you would have liked us to compete against?

Sent from my phone.

I was hoping for a deal before or during free agent period to get rid of the 10 million dollar Lamb however possible. Obviously nobody wants him as bad as I want him gone. I understand we couldn’t add much salary until we get the 10 million off the books and I’m frustrated it held us back with limited spending room/flexibility.

Would have liked to get any of these players at the right price but some re-upped where they were while others signed elsewhere while we couldn’t spend more than we did.

Nicholas Batum
Reggie Jackson
Jeff Green
Reggie Bullock
Malik Monk
Josh Hart
Avery Bradley
Wizop
RealGM

Post#66 » by Wizop » Sun Aug 8, 2021 12:58 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:I understand we couldn’t add much salary until we get the 10 million off the books and I’m frustrated it held us back with limited spending room/flexibility

Not many free agents would want to sign a deal with only one year guaranteed. Lamb's expiring contract gives us room to move next year. Trading Lamb for a long term contract would've been a mistake.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#67 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Aug 8, 2021 1:21 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Sent from my phone.

I was hoping for a deal before or during free agent period to get rid of the 10 million dollar Lamb however possible. Obviously nobody wants him as bad as I want him gone. I understand we couldn’t add much salary until we get the 10 million off the books and I’m frustrated it held us back with limited spending room/flexibility.

Would have liked to get any of these players at the right price but some re-upped where they were while others signed elsewhere while we couldn’t spend more than we did.

Nicholas Batum
Reggie Jackson
Jeff Green
Reggie Bullock
Malik Monk
Josh Hart
Avery Bradley

It’s just always more expensive to move a salary in a savings type move during the early parts of free agency. In that time, teams are really looking to see what can be the best way to improve their team long term. However, in another week or two, or by the end of the month, movement will be done, and there will be TPE’s and openings to fill. Think of how we not only got TJ Warren for free around the draft, but also got paid a good 2nd round pick for taking him. That overpay was mostly because we committed to absorbing the salary at the draft, and before shopping in free agency for other deals. If Phoenix was able to wait, I’m sure they could’ve saved the pick, or even gotten something back.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Aug 8, 2021 5:29 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Aug 8, 2021 5:33 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#70 » by Tom White » Sun Aug 8, 2021 6:49 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Ain't that the way it goes?

Hope they all wind up OK. I hope none of them are dumb enough to not have been vaccinated at this point.
After all, if they were REALLY Wizards, they would know better. :lol:
Wizop
RealGM

Post#71 » by Wizop » Sun Aug 8, 2021 7:09 pm

Tom White wrote:I hope none of them are dumb enough to not have been vaccinated at this point.

I'm vaccinated but at almost 79 I still don't completely accept mortality. At 19 . . .

Sent from my phone.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#72 » by Topofthekey » Sun Aug 8, 2021 8:30 pm

Wizop wrote:

Sent from my phone.

There's still between now and the trade deadline

I think there's a good chance that a trade happens when we get closer to the deadline

The roster is clearly not optimized (Myles + Domas, LeVert + Brogdon, etc), and the team is clearly trying to compete sooner rather than later (drafting Duarte, $29m for Carlisle, etc)

All signs point towards the likelihood of the team doing something proactive, rather than sitting back and twiddling their thumbs

Whether they are going to do something splashy like going after someone like Simmons, or do something more mundane like trading some peripheral pieces to marginally improve the team remains to be seen

It's probably the latter though
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 9, 2021 1:55 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#74 » by boomershadow » Mon Aug 9, 2021 11:17 am

I read on reddit that Goga is not with the summer league team to attend his father's funeral, but I haven't found any other sources to confirm.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 9, 2021 11:59 am

boomershadow wrote:I read on reddit that Goga is not with the summer league team to attend his father's funeral, but I haven't found any other sources to confirm.

I haven’t heard specifics, but Scott Agness really seemed to imply that it was truly a just and fair reason for Goga to not be at summer league. Something like that would absolutely fit in Scott’s implication. And if that’s truly the case, all peace to Goga and his family. I lost my father somewhat unexpectedly 8 years ago, and I still miss him every day. If there’s a death in the family, he should absolutely be at the funeral, if that’s where he wants to be.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 9, 2021 1:11 pm

Scott Agness confirmed.

Not having Goga Bitadze is a real disappointment, but it’s even more difficult for Goga himself. Not only with him having to deal with the sudden loss of someone close to him
Wizop
RealGM

Post#77 » by Wizop » Mon Aug 9, 2021 1:13 pm

boomershadow wrote:I read on reddit that Goga is not with the summer league team to attend his father's funeral, but I haven't found any other sources to confirm.

Today's Scott Agness email says:

No Goga
Not having Goga Bitadze is a real disappointment, but it’s even more difficult for Goga himself. Not only with him having to deal with the sudden loss of someone close to him, but he’s missing out on valuable experiences around the new coaching staff and against younger NBA competition.
He’s needed reps, here they are and unfortunately he’s not in Las Vegas with the Pacers. It’s unclear if he’ll make it back and be able to play.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#78 » by Topofthekey » Mon Aug 9, 2021 2:15 pm

Wizop wrote:

Today's Scott Agness email says:

No Goga
Not having Goga Bitadze is a real disappointment, but it’s even more difficult for Goga himself. Not only with him having to deal with the sudden loss of someone close to him, but he’s missing out on valuable experiences around the new coaching staff and against younger NBA competition.
He’s needed reps, here they are and unfortunately he’s not in Las Vegas with the Pacers. It’s unclear if he’ll make it back and be able to play.

Well, they did postpone the game

Maybe if they postpone it long enough he can make it back to the team
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#79 » by Tom White » Mon Aug 9, 2021 2:43 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Maybe if they postpone it long enough he can make it back to the team

I read somewhere they have added a game vs the Knicks today as sort of a replacement game. Supposedly it starts at 2:00pm, but I can't find any kind of a TV listing for it. Probably added too late to get it televised.

EDIT: OK, did some more checking and it looks like it will be on NBA TV and ESPN3.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#80 » by Pacers Forever » Mon Aug 9, 2021 5:30 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Return to Indiana Pacers