Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

How Much Would Goran Dragic Help? 

Post#1 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Aug 8, 2021 2:45 pm

How Much Would Goran Dragic Help?
How much does he have left in the tank?
What kind of role do you think he'd play with the Mavs?
Would he take minutes away from Brunson?
How many games, if any, would he miss due to rest and/or injury?
Would he make the Mavs better?
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,980

Re: How Much Would Goran Dragic Help? 

Post#2 » by Apz » Sun Aug 8, 2021 3:45 pm

If it was todays team with dragic, it probably would make it a bit better. But he missed a lot of games last 3 seasons and I dont think he would make the starting 5 better then playing thj at 2, but gives some quality depth. I would do powell, burke and a 2nd. Thats the limit, no 1sts and no young talent. Thise is worth more ina season or 2 when all those age 30+ superteams falls off.
Apz
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by Apz » Sun Aug 8, 2021 3:46 pm

Ofc, best would be they bought him ojt and we could sign him for vet min
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Aug 8, 2021 3:59 pm

Apz wrote:Ofc, best would be they bought him ojt and we could sign him for vet min

Yeah, I think that's what's going to happen too. Maybe the Mavs can send Toronto some money to make it happen too. Like make a trade where the Mavs pay $5 million for 2 future 2nd round picks (top 40 protected) from the Raptors. That way the Mavs actually get some bang for their buck with the $5 million too.
Saty
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#5 » by Saty » Sun Aug 8, 2021 4:15 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:How Much Would Goran Dragic Help?

Well, Dallas gets an additional playmaker do they not? A quite good one, also a decent scorer who can create for himself, not a bad defender also.
Considering he is younger than LeBron, Paul, same as Lowry I would say still a few years?
He would probably be leading the second unit, would probably be able to play alongside Luka, and considering he is like a mentor figure to him, one would think he would also be a very good influence on Luka and help him to improve areas of his game that he has yet to work on. Such as leadership, shooting, anger management, and so forth.
I don't think he would take minutes away from Brunson, he would probably play alongside Brunson if anything, but that is a question for Brunson. If Brunson plays well he'll have plenty of minutes. If he does not, thank god there are people getting them.
Who knows that? Probably some cause NBA's season is just nuts in that regard.
He would definitely make the roster better.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,338

Post#6 » by Mavrelous » Sun Aug 8, 2021 4:25 pm

He'll be load managed, playing 15 MPG 60 games, and kept for the PO.
How much will he help? Maybe a lot, maybe wouldn't help, Brunson can give 30 MPG, 20 for the 2nd unit and close games with Luka, but if Brunson is shout down, which he could be, he's short and slow, and we saw what happened against bad matchup like the Clippers, Dragic means nothing less than the difference between winning and losing.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,796

Post#7 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 4:50 pm

Dragic-Doncic-THJ is a nightmare backcourt...for us hahahahahaha they allowed 300points for game.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Aug 8, 2021 7:57 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:Dragic-Doncic-THJ is a nightmare backcourt...for us hahahahahaha they allowed 300points for game.

Dragic would come off the bench. He'd play some with Luka, sure, but I don't think he'd play a whole lot of minutes with THJ, who is a starter again.

Luka-Dragic-DFS makes some sense, or even Luka-Dragic-Bullock
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Aug 8, 2021 8:02 pm

KhalilS wrote:He'll be load managed, playing 15 MPG 60 games, and kept for the PO.
How much will he help? Maybe a lot, maybe wouldn't help, Brunson can give 30 MPG, 20 for the 2nd unit and close games with Luka, but if Brunson is shout down, which he could be, he's short and slow, and we saw what happened against bad matchup like the Clippers, Dragic means nothing less than the difference between winning and losing.

Those are some good points. I hope the Mavs don't draw the Clippers again. I know they can beat them, but man, I just want to see this team play someone else, lol.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,796

Post#10 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 8:07 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:Dragic-Doncic-THJ is a nightmare backcourt...for us hahahahahaha they allowed 300points for game.

Dragic would come off the bench. He'd play some with Luka, sure, but I don't think he'd play a whole lot of minutes with THJ, who is a starter again.

Dragic is a finisher, he will plays the final minutes of the games and then do you bench the just signed for 4years THJ?
Dragic is not the better fit (and a no asset for the age) but at least is an improvement.
Bullock and S.Brown can only shoots and defend, 0 playmaking and 0 dribbling.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Aug 8, 2021 8:12 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:

Dragic is a finisher, he will plays the final minutes of the games and then do you bench the just signed for 4years THJ?
Dragic is not the better fit (and a no asset for the age) but at least is an improvement.
Bullock and S.Brown can only shoots and defend, 0 playmaking and 0 dribbling.

Brown is an underrated driver/dribbler. Not much of a playmaker in terms of passing and setting others up, but he can put the ball on the floor at times. Remember, JKidd was his coach with the Bucks, so, while it's important to look at how he played in Houston, it's more important to see what his role was in MIL. There, he was a 3D guy that could occasionally put the ball on the floor and finish.

But you're absolutely right, Dragic and THJ are better finishers. The defense will be an issue then, but it also depends on who the Mavs are playing, how much time is left, and what the score is.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Aug 8, 2021 8:16 pm

Saty wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:How Much Would Goran Dragic Help?

Well, Dallas gets an additional playmaker do they not? A quite good one, also a decent scorer who can create for himself, not a bad defender also.
Considering he is younger than LeBron, Paul, same as Lowry I would say still a few years?
He would probably be leading the second unit, would probably be able to play alongside Luka, and considering he is like a mentor figure to him, one would think he would also be a very good influence on Luka and help him to improve areas of his game that he has yet to work on. Such as leadership, shooting, anger management, and so forth.
I don't think he would take minutes away from Brunson, he would probably play alongside Brunson if anything, but that is a question for Brunson. If Brunson plays well he'll have plenty of minutes. If he does not, thank god there are people getting them.
Who knows that? Probably some cause NBA's season is just nuts in that regard.
He would definitely make the roster better.

Great points. He makes the team better for sure and could give them more options depending on the matchup, situation, etc.. I just hope he does in fact get bought out by Toronto now. I think they may try to trade him for something. But what I think they should do, is trade away protected 2nd round picks (say top 40 or 45 protected) for cash, then use that cash to buy Dragic out.

Or they can make those 2nd round picks unprotected and receive both cash and protected 2nd round picks in return (basically gives the other team a chance to swap 2nd round spots) so they can then buy Dragic out. That way the Raptors don't lose those picks outright.

Or maybe even trade away the draft rights to someone they have overseas for cash, and then buy Dragic out.

Dallas just has to get creative.
Apz
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Apz » Sun Aug 8, 2021 9:42 pm

U realise there is a cap on how much "cash" u can send out in a season? I dont think that number is big enough. 3m is it?
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Aug 9, 2021 12:45 am

Apz wrote:U realise there is a cap on how much "cash" u can send out in a season? I dont think that number is big enough. 3m is it?

It's $5 million now I believe. It used to be $3, but grew to $5 once the TV deal money came in. I don't think it adjusts with the cap either.

But, of course, I'm not saying DAL pays TOR $19.5 million to buyout Dragic, lol. I'm just saying they buy him out, and use DAL's money to partially finance it.
deb
Senior
And1: 455

Post#15 » by deb » Mon Aug 9, 2021 10:29 am

The Raps will not buy Dragic out. Why should they? They will either keep him or get what they want in return. They will most definitely not give up draft picks for the privilege of buying Dragic out.
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#16 » by JJP » Mon Aug 9, 2021 1:07 pm

deb wrote:The Raps will not buy Dragic out. Why should they? They will either keep him or get what they want in return. They will most definitely not give up draft picks for the privilege of buying Dragic out.

If the Raps bought out Dragic, it would essentially mean that the Raptors traded Lowry for Precious Achiuwa. :)
deb
Senior
And1: 455

Post#17 » by deb » Mon Aug 9, 2021 2:43 pm

JJP wrote:
deb wrote:The Raps will not buy Dragic out. Why should they? They will either keep him or get what they want in return. They will most definitely not give up draft picks for the privilege of buying Dragic out.

If the Raps bought out Dragic, it would essentially mean that the Raptors traded Lowry for Precious Achiuwa. :)

No, if they buy out Dragic, they give up Lowry and 19 million in cash (minus whatever Dragić decides to leave on the table) for Achiuwa. Which is worse than just renouncing Lowry and losing him for nothing as an FA.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#18 » by arkuo » Mon Aug 9, 2021 2:59 pm

No. You have to look at it from another perspective. The Raptors traded Lowry at the trade deadline last year, for Dragic and a 1st round pick. That pick they happen to choose Achuiwa. If you look at it that way, then it makes sense. Dragic + a 1st rounder to them.
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#19 » by JJP » Mon Aug 9, 2021 3:30 pm

arkuo wrote:No. You have to look at it from another perspective. The Raptors traded Lowry at the trade deadline last year, for Dragic and a 1st round pick. That pick they happen to choose Achuiwa. If you look at it that way, then it makes sense. Dragic + a 1st rounder to them.

You might be able to rationalize it to your fanbase, but there's just not enough reason to do it that way. They are better off keeping him right now.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#20 » by arkuo » Mon Aug 9, 2021 3:53 pm

JJP wrote:
arkuo wrote:No. You have to look at it from another perspective. The Raptors traded Lowry at the trade deadline last year, for Dragic and a 1st round pick. That pick they happen to choose Achuiwa. If you look at it that way, then it makes sense. Dragic + a 1st rounder to them.

You might be able to rationalize it to your fanbase, but there's just not enough reason to do it that way. They are better off keeping him right now.

What do you mean? I agree with you. There is no use for them to trade Dragic and no use for Dallas to get him too. The team is good to go as it stands, why send out assets for a one year rental?

Dragic is a guard. Dallas has Doncic, THJ, Brunson, Burke, Brown, Terry and Green. Whose minutes get sacrificed and is it worth the 1 year rental? These guys mentioned are signed on for more than 1 year, they could use the developmental minutes more. We're not talking about 3 minutes of garbage time. Dragic needs at least 20. Who sits to accommodate a 35 year old? No use for him at this stage. Maybe 5 years ago, but not in 2022. More especially not his 19M. Riley bamboozled Masai again into taking his contract the same way he was able to squeeze Bosh out of Toronto before. No point for Cuban to help Toronto.

Return to Dallas Mavericks