2021 G League and Summer League Thread

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

namlede
Sophomore
And1: 105

Re: 2021 G League and Summer League Thread 

Post#21 » by namlede » Mon Aug 9, 2021 2:38 am

Mann looks like a backyard streetballer. Looks amazing when his shots fall, but pretty underwhelming when they don't. I think he will figure it out.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#22 » by bondom34 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 2:42 am

Bummer with Giddey, but the opening play was fun. Was in and out of watching but liked what I saw from JRE and Maledon at least, and didn't see anything terribly concerning. Not sure exactly when Giddey got hurt, thought I saw someone say he was playing hurt a few minutes even.

But overall not a bad showing against a pretty good SL team. Still can't shoot though lol
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Post#23 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Aug 9, 2021 2:50 am

Read on Twitter
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Aug 9, 2021 2:58 am

Also, Theo looked notably bigger.
Read on Twitter
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#25 » by thedoppelganger » Mon Aug 9, 2021 3:04 am

bondom34 wrote:Bummer with Giddey, but the opening play was fun. Was in and out of watching but liked what I saw from JRE and Maledon at least, and didn't see anything terribly concerning. Not sure exactly when Giddey got hurt, thought I saw someone say he was playing hurt a few minutes even.

But overall not a bad showing against a pretty good SL team. Still can't shoot though lol

3-27 from 3, felt very reminiscent of how we looked the last few weeks of the season.

Giddey hurt his ankle in traffic on the 3rd(?) trip down the floor, and then hobbled around a couple minutes until they took him out. Tried some moves but had no lift at that point, just hoping he's not shut down the rest of the week.
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 533

Post#26 » by kdthunderup » Mon Aug 9, 2021 3:34 am

ThunderBolt wrote:Also, Theo looked notably bigger.
Read on Twitter

One of his main weaknesses was finishing at the rim and lack of physicality last season. Looks like he has gone a long way to improve that this offseason which is exciting. I think he could be fill the role Reggie Jackson had with us, hopefully without all the drama though.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,284

Post#27 » by Old Man Game » Mon Aug 9, 2021 4:54 am

J.R.E. meets the eye test of just looking like a guy who understands the game. Not great physical tools but he looks like a hooper.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app
Mr Thunder Nick
Junior
And1: 86

Re: 2021-22 OKC Thunder Regular Season Discussion 

Post#28 » by Mr Thunder Nick » Mon Aug 9, 2021 8:57 am

Very good impressions from Wiggins,Robinson-Earl and Theo Maledon in the Summer-league in Las Vegas
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,018

Post#29 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 10:00 am

Worst offseason since 2016.

Always loved Maledon so not surprised about him playing well. I'm so low on Mann but I hope I'm wrong.

JRE gonna be a fan favorite...unlikely he can be a starting big though

Feel like we won't need Charlie Brown Jr. to help us lose games next season but Shai may disagree.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#30 » by Old Man Game » Mon Aug 9, 2021 11:29 am

Giddey having his ankles just fold like a cheap tent Without contact makes me question whoever was running his draft prep. Stability and balance work should have been the centerpiece of his off the court regime. Maybe trying out for team Australian cost him in being able to address stuff like that.

Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#31 » by Old Man Game » Mon Aug 9, 2021 11:51 am

Sengun looked at least decent, bordering on good yesterday.

I think there's a non-zero chance that Presti traded out of 16 not because he really wanted yet more protected firsts but because he literally didn't know what to do with 3 guaranteed contract first rounders on his roster and when Houston knocking with something he could plausibly sell to the fan base as a win he jumped at it.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#32 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 11:55 am

Old Man Game wrote:Giddey having his ankles just fold like a cheap tent Without contact makes me question whoever was running his draft prep. Stability and balance work should have been the centerpiece of his off the court regime. Maybe trying out for team Australian cost him in being able to address stuff like that.

Giddey was in Tokyo with team Australia. I think he left Japan just before game one of the Olympics (probably because some teams wanted private workouts and draft him pretty highly). So yeah clearly not the perfect preparation :)
Babylove
Ballboy
And1: 27

Post#33 » by Babylove » Mon Aug 9, 2021 1:10 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:Giddey having his ankles just fold like a cheap tent Without contact makes me question whoever was running his draft prep. Stability and balance work should have been the centerpiece of his off the court regime. Maybe trying out for team Australian cost him in being able to address stuff like that.

Giddey was in Tokyo with team Australia. I think he left Japan just before game one of the Olympics (probably because some teams wanted private workouts and draft him pretty highly). So yeah clearly not the perfect preparation :)

Giddey wasn’t in Tokyo. He was with the Boomers for the warm up series in Las Vegas. But only players selected to participate in the Olympics were allowed to travel to Tokyo as part of the COVID protocols. Giddey wasn’t in the Olympic team so did not go to Tokyo.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#34 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 1:16 pm

Babylove wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:

Giddey wasn’t in Tokyo. He was with the Boomers for the warm up series in Las Vegas. But only players selected to participate in the Olympics were allowed to travel to Tokyo as part of the COVID protocols. Giddey wasn’t in the Olympic team so did not go to Tokyo.

oh I thought he was there. My bad then :)
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#35 » by Old Man Game » Mon Aug 9, 2021 1:33 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:

Coach Gibbs said he was dealing with a bit of an ankle injury beforehand.

The good news is he's Steph Curry 2.0. The bad news is its not in the way you'd want him to be Steph Curry 2.0.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Aug 9, 2021 2:05 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

Coach Gibbs said he was dealing with a bit of an ankle injury beforehand.

The good news is he's Steph Curry 2.0. The bad news is its not in the way you'd want him to be Steph Curry 2.0.

So the podcast I was listening to said they misspoke and he wasn’t dealing with a previous ankle injury, so I deleted the post. That’s being said, I think it’s a little too early to assume anything or blame anyone for not doing stability and balance work.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#37 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 2:08 pm

Yeah could be a minor thing so not so worried about that. Giddey gonna need some years of conditioning though that's for sure.
ThunderBorn
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#38 » by ThunderBorn » Mon Aug 9, 2021 5:19 pm

My take on our first summer league game.

Giddey… great first play and then injured 2 plays later. I couldn’t help but think “just our luck” I doubt he plays the rest of summer league.

JRE… was really impressive for a first game. Not trying to overreact but I see a lot of nick collison in his game and will most definitely be a fan favorite. Moved his feet well on D and you can just tell he plays with a high bball iq. Nice lookin stroke as well.

Wiggins… took him a half to get settled in, but overall I thought he played well. Played with a lot of effort and has a nice midrange game. Was more impressed with him than Mann. He’ll get some minutes this year for sure.

Mann… I’m chalking his performance up to first game jitters. Looked small and weak out there. He’s quick and had a couple nice finishes, but I expected atleast a couple 3’s out of him. I see him as more of a PG if he can cut out the silly turnovers, hoping he turns it around Tuesday.

Maledon… you can definitely tell he has been working on his body this off-season. Once he took over at pg the thunder started to creep back in the game. Had some nice finishes and was aggressive going to the hole. Towards the end he let some of the younger guys make some plays. Had some really nice passes. I thought he looked like the best player on the court last night. Really excited for him. Played some really solid D on Cade both in the post and outside.

De Silva… not sure where this guy came from, but he played like he just got drafted. Had some nice finishes and seemed like he has some good hands. Hope he gets some more minutes throughout the rest of summer league.

Sure would have been nice to see what Poku could do out there. All in all we got the W and it seems like we never have players jump off the page in summer league.

Thunder up ⚡️
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,905

Post#39 » by Dn4sty » Mon Aug 9, 2021 5:23 pm

Old Man Game wrote:Sengun looked at least decent, bordering on good yesterday.

I think there's a non-zero chance that Presti traded out of 16 not because he really wanted yet more protected firsts but because he literally didn't know what to do with 3 guaranteed contract first rounders on his roster and when Houston knocking with something he could plausibly sell to the fan base as a win he jumped at it.

Lots of hot takes lately.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#40 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 5:47 pm

Dn4sty wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:Sengun looked at least decent, bordering on good yesterday.

Lots of hot takes lately.

yeah I hate what Presti did with 16 but Presi clearly doesn't care about what fans think because the hype about Sengun is real (myself included tbh)

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder