Olympics

Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,680

Olympics 

Post#1 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:52 pm

I watched part of the USA - Australia exhibition basketball game yesterday. The Aussies looked pretty good in their win, but I expect USA to be much tougher by the time we get to the games that count, especially defensively. Too bad Simmons isn't there for the Aussies again. Initially, he said he was going to play for his national team this time. I'd like to see the Aussies finally break through for a medal, even if it is just a Bronze.

I think Ingles was the leading scorer for Aussies when I turned the game on, but Patty Mills took over in Q4.

Some game highlights:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/olympics/usa-vs-australia-live-score-updates-highlights-from-2021-olympic-mens-basketball-exhibition-game/ar-AAM4mCo

USA v Australia box score:
https://www.usab.com/USAvAUSstats
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: Olympics 

Post#2 » by stitches » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:18 pm

The biggest thing that made impression on me was how the games were officiated in respect to the BS foul baiting that NBA players were doing. The refs were not giving two flying **** about those. I wish the NBA started officiating the game like that. Anything that doesn't look like a basketball play and looks like a player trying their hardest to draw a BS foul, should be met with disdain and neglect by refs. I loved how those refs just ignored all the flailing, jumping into players, etc...
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#3 » by KqWIN » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:49 am

stitches wrote:The biggest thing that made impression on me was how the games were officiated in respect to the BS foul baiting that NBA players were doing. The refs were not giving two flying **** about those. I wish the NBA started officiating the game like that. Anything that doesn't look like a basketball play and looks like a player trying their hardest to draw a BS foul, should be met with disdain and neglect by refs. I loved how those refs just ignored all the flailing, jumping into players, etc...

It's shocking how much more they are allowed to defend. I honestly think that a big part of team USA's struggles are that they don't know how to play defense in these conditions. The focus in today's NBA defense is to defend without fouling. That often means getting out of the way to avoid any contact at all. In FIBA it is so much more favorable for defenders to actually try and stay in front of their man. You almost never see this in the NBA because it's not possible for one guy to stay in front of the other no matter who the defender is.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#4 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:09 am

It's better to watch. It, I think, shows how amazing Rudy is that he has the impact he does despite the NBA's current rules. Imagine what he'd do if more physicality by perimeter defenders were allowed.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Wolverine
Bench Warmer
And1: 113

Post#5 » by Wolverine » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:05 am

Crunch 99 wrote: I'd like to see the Aussies finally break through for a medal, even if it is just a Bronze.

They’ll finish higher than the US. This is what happens when you change the game t make it more entertaining. US team have no grit,won’t cut it in this
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#6 » by Crunch 99 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:01 pm

Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#7 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:42 pm

Would love to see Gobert's team and Ingles' team get medals. Seems like Gobert benefits in this format somewhat from there being no three second rule in the paint and a bit shorter distance to close out on three point shooters, no? I didn't see the game, but wonder if Gobert is also able to take advantage of the different rules for basket interference.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#8 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 1:01 pm

The Boomers are set to play USA in the semifinals. Durant is warmed up and cookin', so USA is probably back to being heavy favorites. Ingles has been averaging the second most minutes on the Boomers at 30.4 mins/game, but he is only averaging 10.5ppg on 10.2 fga/game. He is knocking down threes at 39% though.

The Spurs just signed the Boomer center yesterday, Jock Landale, to a two year contract as a backup center. He's been averaging an efficient 13 ppg on 8.2 fga, including 50% from three on 2.5 attempts per games. Maybe the Jazz should have considered this guy.

Jock Landale profile:
http://www.fiba.basketball/olympics/men/2020/player/Jock-Landale
https://www.poundingtherock.com/2021/8/3/22608734/the-spurs-have-agreed-to-a-two-year-deal-with-australian-center-jock-landale

Gobert's team is facing off against Slovenia's Doncic and Dragic in the other semifinal.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#9 » by AingesBurner » Fri Aug 6, 2021 8:52 pm

Let’s go Rudy!
Ingles is cooked.
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#10 » by TNJazz » Mon Aug 9, 2021 1:12 pm

I hope the Jazz make some kind of special announcement at the beginning of the season recognizing Rudy and Joe for their Olympic Medals. While I'm glad DM decided to rest his ankle and not play, how cool would it have been to have three Olympic medal winners on the Jazz? I hope the experience Oni had playing with this level of competition translates into a significant improvement for him this year.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#11 » by zero24gravity » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:04 pm

TNJazz wrote:I hope the Jazz make some kind of special announcement at the beginning of the season recognizing Rudy and Joe for their Olympic Medals. While I'm glad DM decided to rest his ankle and not play, how cool would it have been to have three Olympic medal winners on the Jazz? I hope the experience Oni had playing with this level of competition translates into a significant improvement for him this year.

Agree. Would be nice to do a little something.

"FIBA named Utah Jazz and French National Team center Rudy Gobert to its men’s basketball All-Star Five for the Tokyo Olympics.

In addition to Gobert, former Jazzman Ricky Rubio (Spain), Patty Mills (Australia), Luka Dončić (Slovenia), and Kevin Durant (United States of America) were named to the Men’s All-Star Five.
"

Return to Utah Jazz