ImageImageImageImageImage

The state of Klay

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Re: The state of Klay 

Post#41 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Aug 9, 2021 4:00 pm

I think I expect Klay to pick right up where he left off on defense. I don't think his injuries are going to affect his lateral quickness or footwork which is what he depended on to guard the other team's ball handler. His injuries would compromise his explosiveness and his ability to get off the ground quickly.

I think we'll be seeing him on PGs and Wiggins on scoring forwards. I don't think Wiggins would be as effective spending all his time chasing guards.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#42 » by Mylie10 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 4:03 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:I think I expect Klay to pick right up where he left off on defense. I don't think his injuries are going to affect his lateral quickness or footwork which is what he depended on to guard the other team's ball handler. His injuries would compromise his explosiveness and his ability to get off the ground quickly.

I think we'll be seeing him on PGs and Wiggins on scoring forwards. I don't think Wiggins would be as effective spending all his time chasing guards.

I think you’re being a bit overly positive on this one. While I hope you’re right, I feel lateral quickness is going to be one of the areas where it’s gonna take time.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#43 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Aug 9, 2021 5:50 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:Wasn't he swimming the bay this year or something? he's going to be fine. Klay gonna Klay. W's gonna W.

floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,893

Post#44 » by Samurai » Mon Aug 9, 2021 6:09 pm

Mylie10 wrote:My bad Samurai!!!

I prefer to think of it as just a (very) old warrior trying to survive in a modern PC world. 8-)
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,296

Post#45 » by GunnerWRX » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:34 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
GunnerWRX wrote:I read somewhere that Lee gets $500k guaranteed on 8/15?

This is when he signed. Probably thinking of last year.

Read on Twitter

Looks like he does have a $500k guarantee this on this summer as well.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/263859/Warriors-To-Retain-Damion-Lee-With-Contract-Becoming-Guaranteed-At-$500k
Dubs 707
Junior
And1: 146

Post#46 » by Dubs 707 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:37 pm

Thought I was going to get an update bout Klay Thompson the thread titled The State Of Klay.... What was I thinking lol
Looney for MVP
Winning Against Rivals Regularly In Our Running Style
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#47 » by Old_Blue » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:43 pm

I don't expect Klay to contribute much, if at all, until after Christmas. Until then, I'd love to see Wiggins slide over to the SG position and OPJ start at SF. Let's see if OPJ's hip holds up though.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Post#48 » by xdrta+ » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:06 am

Old_Blue wrote:I don't expect Klay to contribute much, if at all, until after Christmas. Until then, I'd love to see Wiggins slide over to the SG position and OPJ start at SF. Let's see if OPJ's hip holds up though.

I don't think Klay will even be active until then. Training camp should clarify Porter's status, I'd say it's pretty much up in the air who will be the fifth starter. That's what training camp is for this year.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,374

Post#49 » by GSWFan1994 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:43 am

I'm not expecting Otto Porter to contribute much, or at all, this season. I mean, the guy has played less than 70 games in the past 3 seasons combined. Anything he gives us is gravy, IMO.

In an ideal world he would be the starting SF until Klay is back and running, yes, but I just don't see it.

I think Moody will hold the SG position, with great support from Poole as the 3rd guard in the rotation.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#50 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:55 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:I'm not expecting Otto Porter to contribute much, or at all, this season. I mean, the guy has played less than 70 games in the past 3 seasons combined. Anything he gives us is gravy, IMO.

In an ideal world he would be the starting SF until Klay is back and running, yes, but I just don't see it.

I think Moody will hold the SG position, with great support from Poole as the 3rd guard in the rotation.

In your ideal world with Porter the starting SF is Wiggins the SG?

Hopefully Porter turned down more money elsewhere to prove himself with the Warriors and is ready to be in great shape.

I hope the training staff is really up for it this year.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#51 » by FNQ » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:08 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:I'm not expecting Otto Porter to contribute much, or at all, this season. I mean, the guy has played less than 70 games in the past 3 seasons combined. Anything he gives us is gravy, IMO.

And is diving into a complex switch scheme that is very different than Chicago's.. and have to stress, he's not proven as a help defender. He's been an excellent on-ball defender and he was great at closing out, but switching is very different. We can't cover for everyone's weaknesses.. Wiggins and OPJ should not share the court all that long, akin to Oubre and Wiggins. Both are better on-ball than off, whereas Moody is better off than on, and Iguodala's just good at everything defensively. And Lee is below average at both.. I think Jessup would be about average at both if he makes the team.

Anyways, I'm with you on lowering expectations for OPJ. He and Bjelica both need to be eased in, even though they could both be starting by the 2nd month of the season due to injury/talent issues. But lead with who you can count on first, and my guess is Iguodala or Poole, with an outside shot of it being Lee. But if I was an oddsmaker, Iguodala is the favorite because Poole's got a 20+mpg role off the bench already, and Lee's more of a fringe rotation player, while Iguodala's probably more amenable to moving across roles through the year
Senchu
Sixth Man
And1: 400

Post#52 » by Senchu » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:44 am

I will do the honors to derail this thread back to the State of Klay with this tweet.

Read on Twitter
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,691

Post#53 » by WarriorGM » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:35 am

Senchu wrote:I will do the honors to derail this thread back to the State of Klay with this tweet.

Read on Twitter

I have to be honest, Klay jumping on that one leg unnecessarily both delights me to see him looking like old and nervous at the same time.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#54 » by michaelm » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:17 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
Senchu wrote:I will do the honors to derail this thread back to the State of Klay with this tweet.

Read on Twitter

I have to be honest, Klay jumping on that one leg unnecessarily both delights me to see him looking like old and nervous at the same time.

He will still be able to shoot I would think. What else do you see ?, I ask genuinely.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,250

Post#55 » by Outside » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:22 pm

It's great that he got some lift on his shot in that clip. Kicking his right leg out to protect it, not so much. Progress, but still a long way to go. Keep working, take your time.

Just to refresh everyone, he tore his left ACL and right achilles.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#56 » by xdrta+ » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:33 pm

Considering he's got another 3-4 months of rehab before he'll be playing, he looks pretty good.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#57 » by Old_Blue » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:34 pm

Outside wrote:It's great that he got some lift on his shot in that clip. Kicking his right leg out to protect it, not so much. Progress, but still a long way to go. Keep working, take your time.

Following those two injuries, expectations are way too high. For 2021-2022, the hope should be that he can walk around the court a little as a decoy, maybe score five or six points per game and just not suffer anymore injuries.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#58 » by xdrta+ » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:38 pm

Old_Blue wrote:
Outside wrote:It's great that he got some lift on his shot in that clip. Kicking his right leg out to protect it, not so much. Progress, but still a long way to go. Keep working, take your time.

Following those two injuries, expectations are way too high. For 2021-2022, the hope should be that he can walk around the court a little as a decoy, maybe score five or six points per game and just not suffer anymore injuries.

If that's the best he can do, he won't be playing at all. Those expectations are way too low.
Hoopstar23
Veteran
And1: 1,878

Post#59 » by Hoopstar23 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:53 pm

I wouldn't be surprise if Klay becomes a super 6th man for the entire season... until we are near the playoffs in March and April... even then i can see Klay coming off the bench until they feel confident that he can log heavy minutes.. also expect heavy load management for Klay
Mob Byers
Rookie
And1: 767

Post#60 » by Mob Byers » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:55 pm

I miss Klay so much, glad to see him putting up shots

Return to Golden State Warriors