Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Re: McDermott Signs with Spurs 3/$42m 

Post#61 » by Topofthekey » Mon Aug 9, 2021 7:54 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:
Wizop wrote:
even if they could, why should they want to add a $7mm guy to the roster instead of Warren? I suppose the answer could be because Warren has a bad 21-22 season but I wouldn't want that to happen.

It was a reference to the hypothetical situation where they wanted to use the TPE to get someone cheaper to replace Warren, suggested by Scoot

Oh, I’m not suggesting they do that. I Merely was pushing back against a part of your post.

Pushing back against what?

I said them willing to give away a 2RP to create a TPE is a sign that they are willing to consider adding salary in the future

Is that what you are pushing back against?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#62 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 9, 2021 8:59 pm

Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:It was a reference to the hypothetical situation where they wanted to use the TPE to get someone cheaper to replace Warren, suggested by Scoot

Oh, I’m not suggesting they do that. I Merely was pushing back against a part of your post.

I said them willing to give away a 2RP to create a TPE is a sign that they are willing to consider adding salary in the future

You stated that a team could only use a TPE to add salary. I was pushing back against that.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#63 » by Topofthekey » Mon Aug 9, 2021 9:26 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

You stated that a team could only use a TPE to add salary. I was pushing back against that.

Oh, no, I didn't mean that at all

I interpret their willingness to give up a 2RP for a TPE as a sign they may be willing to take on more salary in the future. I didn't mean they're definitely going to do that, or that that's the only thing they can do after getting the TPE
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#64 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:57 am

So, good news on the TPE/S&T. The 2023 2nd that SA is sending Indy is obviously top 55 protected. The 2023 2nd round pick that Indy is sending to SA is ALSO top 55 protected. Neither is likely to convey. The swap is that in 2026, SA has the right to swap it's 2nd with the worse 2nd round pick between Indy and Miami, and we get the worst of the 3 (while Miami gets none, going back to the KZ Okpala trade two offseasons ago).

Basically, that's about as cheap and free as a TPE could possibly be.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#65 » by Topofthekey » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:35 am

Good to see small market teams helping each other out, small market solidarity

Return to Indiana Pacers