2021 G League and Summer League Thread

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Re: 2021 G League and Summer League Thread 

Post#41 » by bondom34 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 5:51 pm

They got a top 8 protected 1st and top 9 protected 1st (by the last years) for a big man who might not be very good in playoff/high leverage situations. That's pretty darn good value for a guy who honestly would be expected to look very good in summer league.

I'm not sure how many big men who aren't already big stars get 2 1sts in return.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,905

Post#42 » by Dn4sty » Mon Aug 9, 2021 5:54 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Dn4sty wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:Sengun looked at least decent, bordering on good yesterday.

I think there's a non-zero chance that Presti traded out of 16 not because he really wanted yet more protected firsts but because he literally didn't know what to do with 3 guaranteed contract first rounders on his roster and when Houston knocking with something he could plausibly sell to the fan base as a win he jumped at it.

Lots of hot takes lately.

yeah I hate what Presti did with 16 but Presi clearly doesn't care about what fans think because the hype about Sengun is real (myself included tbh)

I didn’t like 16, but not because of Sengun. I didn’t like it because I don’t think it’s crazy to see both of those picks never convey
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,018

Post#43 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 5:56 pm

bondom34 wrote:They got a top 8 protected 1st and top 9 protected 1st (by the last years) for a big man who might not be very good in playoff/high leverage situations. That's pretty darn good value for a guy who honestly would be expected to look very good in summer league.

I'm not sure how many big men who aren't already big stars get 2 1sts in return.

you basically just giving OKC best case scenario with the picks and worst case scenario for Sengun...that's a bit easy/unfair.
I don't agree but I'm fine with those who think that the 3 big left in the draft at 16 (Sengun/Kai Jones/Garuba) aren't good enough and you rather get two future protected FRPs.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by bondom34 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 6:01 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:They got a top 8 protected 1st and top 9 protected 1st (by the last years) for a big man who might not be very good in playoff/high leverage situations. That's pretty darn good value for a guy who honestly would be expected to look very good in summer league.

you basically just giving OKC best case scenario with the picks and worst case scenario for Sengun...that's a bit easy/unfair.
I don't agree but I'm fine with those who think that the 3 big left in the draft at 16 (Sengun/Kai Jones/Garuba) aren't good enough and you rather get two future protected FRPs.

I mean, not really. The picks are protected pretty loosely by the end, its fairly likely its 2 firsts. Even if Sengun is an all star, you can find big men for far less than that who are probably better. I'd give up 1 mid first for a Clint Capela (like the Hawks) instead of 2 for a post up type big.

Detroit's 1st round pick to Oklahoma City (via Houston) protected for selections 1-16 in 2022, 1-18 in 2023, 1-18 in 2024, 1-13 in 2025, 1-11 in 2026 and 1-9 in 2027

Seems like it won't convey the first 2-3 years but then could be a mid first.

Washington's 1st round pick to Oklahoma City (via Houston) protected for selections 1-14 in 2023, 1-12 in 2024, 1-10 in 2025 and 1-8 in 2026

Seems like it could convey even in 23 if Beal stays as a mid first. Just looking around the league at what a team would value more in a trade, I'd say more teams value a future first over a guy who's already taken up part of his rookie contract as well.

If they're looking to trade for a star or move up in a draft in 2 years unless Sengun is an absolute home run star those picks probably are more helpful. And this is after 1 game in a situation where Sengun would be expected to probably look good.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#45 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 7:09 pm

bondom34 wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:

I mean, not really. The picks are protected pretty loosely by the end, its fairly likely its 2 firsts. Even if Sengun is an all star, you can find big men for far less than that who are probably better. I'd give up 1 mid first for a Clint Capela (like the Hawks) instead of 2 for a post up type big.

Detroit's 1st round pick to Oklahoma City (via Houston) protected for selections 1-16 in 2022, 1-18 in 2023, 1-18 in 2024, 1-13 in 2025, 1-11 in 2026 and 1-9 in 2027

Washington's 1st round pick to Oklahoma City (via Houston) protected for selections 1-14 in 2023, 1-12 in 2024, 1-10 in 2025 and 1-8 in 2026

Seems like it could convey even in 23 if Beal stays as a mid first. Just looking around the league at what a team would value more in a trade, I'd say more teams value a future first over a guy who's already taken up part of his rookie contract as well.

If they're looking to trade for a star or move up in a draft in 2 years unless Sengun is an absolute home run star those picks probably are more helpful. And this is after 1 game in a situation where Sengun would be expected to probably look good.

The value we got is fine. My main issue is that I like Sengun a lot (I know you don't :)) but mostly that we need talent and I value one middle FRP in 2021 for our current roster more than two in 2023/2025.

I wanted Sengun but would understand if Presti picked Kai Jones or Garuba (or not a big)

Even if we can trade those future picks for good role players, we are still trying to build through the draft for at least two more years and we badly lack talent and have no frontcourt at all (I hope I'm wrong though but I'm pretty low on Bazley right now and don't think JRE can be a starter).
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by bondom34 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 7:15 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:

The value we got is fine. My main issue is that I like Sengun a lot (I know you don't :)) but mostly that we need talent and I value one middle FRP in 2021 for our current roster more than two in 2023/2025.

I wanted Sengun but would understand if Presti picked Kai Jones or Garuba (or not a big)

Even if we can trade those future picks for good role players, we are still trying to build through the draft for at least two more years and we badly lack talent and have no frontcourt at all (I hope I'm wrong though but I'm pretty low on Bazley right now and don't think JRE can be a starter).

Oh agree they're short on talent, and agree on Bazeley and think JRE isn't a starter at least now. And part of me would like another young guy on the roster as well. But ultimately adding another guy to a roster that tbh shouldn't be worried about winning right now isn't a game changer and the more I've thought about it the more I'm kind of with trading it.

Think they'll build through the draft, but they're going to have to trade some of these picks and adding even 4 rookies would be a lot. Having that bumped back another few years might be extra assets/value in a later trade (either moving up in a future draft or for an established player).

I feel almost like though there are a few players I'd have been interested in at 16 it's more a case of delayed gratification than anything if that makes sense.

Edit: To note wrt Sengun specifically, still the questions remain the same. If he's a guy who you can't play in high leverage situations, I'm less sure the value, and its a single SL game. The issues still remain the same in that regard. I think Green and he will both put up fantastic stats by counting numbers this year, Houston's going to score a ton and be awful on defense. Think Green wins ROY in part for that reason
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,168

Post#47 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Aug 9, 2021 8:25 pm

I’m ok with passing on sengun at 16 and I would have been ok with taking a chance on him too. I don’t think we’ve had a bad offseason by any means but since the lotto almost every move has been a non best case scenario outcome to my initial preferred choice. However none of those outcomes are for sure a stall to the rebuild. Patience sucks in the moment.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Aug 9, 2021 9:30 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:Giddey having his ankles just fold like a cheap tent Without contact makes me question whoever was running his draft prep. Stability and balance work should have been the centerpiece of his off the court regime. Maybe trying out for team Australian cost him in being able to address stuff like that.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app

Coach Gibbs said he was dealing with a bit of an ankle injury beforehand.

The good news is he's Steph Curry 2.0. The bad news is its not in the way you'd want him to be Steph Curry 2.0.

FWIW, schlecht said that despite Coach Gibbs saying there was no previous ankle injury, when Giddey went to the bench after rolling it, he took his shoe off and the previously uninjured ankle was already wrapped.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#49 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 9:44 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Coach Gibbs said he was dealing with a bit of an ankle injury beforehand.

The good news is he's Steph Curry 2.0. The bad news is its not in the way you'd want him to be Steph Curry 2.0.

FWIW, schlecht said that despite Coach Gibbs saying there was no previous ankle injury, when Giddey went to the bench after rolling it, he took his shoe off and the previously uninjured ankle was already wrapped.

the worst part is that they probably won't release any information about his health before...opening night :lol:
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#50 » by spearsy23 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 10:08 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter

Cade already looking like a superstar with the effort to get around that screen
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:17 pm

Read on Twitter

Update…

Read on Twitter
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 906

Post#52 » by retrobro90 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:23 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter

Update…

Read on Twitter

Man I can't help it anymore. The disappointment is just piling up. We suck for half a season (don't say full season unless you want a Mutumbo finger wag from thunder fans even though the writing is chiseled in stone that we're gonna suck all of next year on purpose) and suffer through all of the bad lotto luck and waiting just to see the poor kid (who seems great and could be a really nice piece for us) for 5 whole minutes before he should probably be shut down for the remainder of SL. Meanwhile Sengun has two monster nights now and our FO was too confident in how dorky their approach was to see how talented he is.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 906

Post#53 » by retrobro90 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:27 am

As an addendum I also just really like Sengun and all of his quirks/antics. And he is piling up blocks and steals because he is in fact an effective defender.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#54 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:37 am

trading #16 for two future picks was good value but a guy like Sengun at 16 was even better :(
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#55 » by jake_swivel » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:43 am

This draft was too deep to screw around and trade for heavily protected future firsts.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:07 am

Spoiler:
retrobro90 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter

Update…

Read on Twitter

Man I can't help it anymore. The disappointment is just piling up. We suck for half a season (don't say full season unless you want a Mutumbo finger wag from thunder fans even though the writing is chiseled in stone that we're gonna suck all of next year on purpose) and suffer through all of the bad lotto luck and waiting just to see the poor kid (who seems great and could be a really nice piece for us) for 5 whole minutes before he should probably be shut down for the remainder of SL. Meanwhile Sengun has two monster nights now and our FO was too confident in how dorky their approach was to see how talented he is.

At this point I guess I should be thankful that maybe an ankle injury saved Giddey from an acl tear. It feels like it’s been a barrage of letdowns this summer. My biggest frustration with Sam the last few years has been his patience. After keeping Gallo and Cp3 for the entire season, this year felt like the year to be aggressive. Yet, whatever the consensus obvious direction is, Sam seems intent on doing the opposite. I remember Eddie Sutton saying that when you shoot the ball well it hides a lot of mistakes. I feel the same way about hitting on Giddey. If he comes out and looks like a stud, a lot of this stuff will disappear. If he underwhelms, it’s easy to see how some of these patient moves will come back to bite us.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#57 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:26 am

I love Giddey and wanted to package #16 and a future FRP for him because I didn't expect Presti to draft him at #6.

I don't think it's a bad decision though. He's on the same tier as Bouknight and Kuminga IMO and time will tell who's the best. My only issue is that he's very young and gonna take a while to develop him (Bouknight probably gonna have a better rookie season) and also I'm not sure I like the fit with Shai.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:42 am

Dadouv47 wrote:trading #16 for two future picks was good value but a guy like Sengun at 16 was even better :(
retrobro90 wrote:As an addendum I also just really like Sengun and all of his quirks/antics. And he is piling up blocks and steals because he is in fact an effective defender.

I wasn't in love with Sengun like Hollinger but I don't think he's Kanter either. I think the upside was high enough to go ahead and take the risk at 16. Yes, he might be a defensive liability in the playoffs but we aren't sniffing those any time soon. If he is Kanter 2.0, move him before you pay him. He was worth the risk, imo. Also, if he's not that, then you got a steal. It just seemed like an odd move for a team needing depth at center, especially from a team that seems to love international prospects. I don't want to make too much of any summer league performance but I'm growing a little weary of the team making lots of decisions that I don't love.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#59 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:04 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:trading #16 for two future picks was good value but a guy like Sengun at 16 was even better :(
retrobro90 wrote:As an addendum I also just really like Sengun and all of his quirks/antics. And he is piling up blocks and steals because he is in fact an effective defender.

I wasn't in love with Sengun like Hollinger but I don't think he's Kanter either. I think the upside was high enough to go ahead and take the risk at 16. Yes, he might be a defensive liability in the playoffs but we aren't sniffing those any time soon. If he is Kanter 2.0, move him before you pay him. He was worth the risk, imo. Also, if he's not that, then you got a steal. It just seemed like an odd move for a team needing depth at center, especially from a team that seems to love international prospects. I don't want to make too much of any summer league performance but I'm growing a little weary of the team making lots of decisions that I don't love.

I don't think we will find a player with the same ceiling/upside as Sengun with our Wizards/Pistons picks. That's pretty much why I still don't understrand the trade.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#60 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:13 pm

Presti willing to gamble on a guy like Poku and not Sengun is so weird...I just don't get it.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder