Wizards set to acquire Spencer Dinwiddie

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Re: Wizards set to acquire Spencer Dinwiddie 

Post#301 » by payitforward » Mon Aug 9, 2021 6:03 pm

I'm sure agents like that last idea! :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#302 » by 80sballboy » Mon Aug 9, 2021 6:52 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,561

Post#303 » by pcbothwel » Mon Aug 9, 2021 7:10 pm

payitforward wrote:If we hadn't relinquished the offer to Mathews, he would have tested the market & then, if nothing better came along, picked up our offer.

That would have taken us to 15 -- meaning we'd have had no choice but to put Todd on a 2-way deal. No surprise that Tommy wanted to retain control of this.

OTOH, it's perfectly possible that we already have a deal worked out with Mathews, but we don't want to execute on it until we know a few more things. Thus, we may be moving one or more of the 3 guys acquired from LA.

PIF, the trade has been executed and sent into the league office. They cant be traded until December, so I dont see any more trades as Bryant & Bertans value is too low.
I think the plan is very transparent. Utilize our depth to compensate for Bryant's & Deni's injury in the short term, see if Rui takes the leap into 3rd piece/Tobias Harris territory, and then move 2 of Bryant, Bertans, Kuz, Harrell in a consolidation trade at the deadline.

I said it a couple weeks ago and I'm not wavering... Beal is going to sign another extension (2 or 3 years) in October with the understanding that if it all goes to hell, TS will trade him accordingly.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,067

Post#304 » by nate33 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 7:16 pm

80sballboy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

50+ games seems fairly likely.
$100K for the 2nd round is possible.
The rest are highly unlikely.

I guess that explains why Sheppard is keeping just over $1.6M in luxtax space.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,067

Post#305 » by nate33 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 7:30 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
payitforward wrote:If we hadn't relinquished the offer to Mathews, he would have tested the market & then, if nothing better came along, picked up our offer.

That would have taken us to 15 -- meaning we'd have had no choice but to put Todd on a 2-way deal. No surprise that Tommy wanted to retain control of this.

OTOH, it's perfectly possible that we already have a deal worked out with Mathews, but we don't want to execute on it until we know a few more things. Thus, we may be moving one or more of the 3 guys acquired from LA.

PIF, the trade has been executed and sent into the league office. They cant be traded until December, so I dont see any more trades as Bryant & Bertans value is too low.

Technically, Kuzma, KCP or Harrell could be moved by themselves, but they can't be packaged with other guys that were already on the roster. (It might be possible to package them with other guys acquired in the Westbrook trade, so, Kuzma and Harrell together, but definitely not with a guy like Bertans or Bryant.)

pcbothwel wrote:I think the plan is very transparent. Utilize our depth to compensate for Bryant's & Deni's injury in the short term, see if Rui takes the leap into 3rd piece/Tobias Harris territory, and then move 2 of Bryant, Bertans, Kuz, Harrell in a consolidation trade at the deadline.

I agree that this is the plan. And if they can't be consolidated into one better player, at least one of Bertans/Kuzma will probably be dumped for an expiring contract and one of Harrell/Bryant will be moved for 2nd round picks.

pcbothwel wrote:I said it a couple weeks ago and I'm not wavering... Beal is going to sign another extension (2 or 3 years) in October with the understanding that if it all goes to hell, TS will trade him accordingly.

I'm a little less optimistic about this part, but I'm hoping.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#306 » by FAH1223 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 8:57 pm

pcbothwel wrote:

I think the plan is very transparent. Utilize our depth to compensate for Bryant's & Deni's injury in the short term, see if Rui takes the leap into 3rd piece/Tobias Harris territory, and then move 2 of Bryant, Bertans, Kuz, Harrell in a consolidation trade at the deadline.

I said it a couple weeks ago and I'm not wavering... Beal is going to sign another extension (2 or 3 years) in October with the understanding that if it all goes to hell, TS will trade him accordingly.

The Wizards can offer him a four-year, $180 million extension in October (added to his 2021-22 salary, that'd be close to a five-year $220M contract in total value).

But if he waits until 2022 free agency, he can sign a five-year contract for an estimated $240 million.

I agree with you that I think he will sign the extension on the eve of the regular season. I disagree that it'll be only two years or three years. He will sign for the FULL FOUR-YEAR extension and there probably will be a player option for the final season to give himself flexibility.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#307 » by payitforward » Mon Aug 9, 2021 9:30 pm

nate33 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Wait... he gets a dollar if we win the title?????
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#308 » by payitforward » Mon Aug 9, 2021 9:37 pm

nate33 wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:I think the plan is very transparent. ...see if Rui takes the leap into 3rd piece/Tobias Harris territory....

I agree that this is the plan....

You honestly think that the Wizards FO has a plan based on the possibility that Rui Hachimura becomes a player at the level of Tobias Harris this season?

Wow...! As they say, I want some of what you're smoking!
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#309 » by FAH1223 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 9:37 pm

payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Yes. Not a typo. Bobby Marks was also laughing it on ESPN. :lol: :lol:

SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#310 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Mon Aug 9, 2021 11:06 pm

nate33 wrote:
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
nate33 wrote:Spotrac has just updated the salary numbers and there's an interesting thing that can be gleaned from the numbers.

We currently have a roster size of 14, and $2.592M in cap room (using the revised Dinwiddie salary numbers without the bonuses).

Isaiah Todd, if signed, will cost $925K. That still leaves $1.67M in cap room, which, incidentally, is the exact same size as the minimum salary vet slot.

It looks like we are reserving the option to add another player. I just don't know how they're going to do it. You can only have 15 (unless they've increased it due to Covid. I can't find anything on that.) Perhaps the plan is to put Todd on a Two-way contract? His agent wouldn't be happy about that.

Garrison Matthews?

Fingers crossed. Though it is odd that we relinquished his qualifying offer and let him become unrestricted.

Ultimately, it would probably be a bad move for Mathews to sign here. The roster is already chock full of one-dimensional catch and shoot types (Bertans, Kispert and KCP). Mathews will be real low on the depth chart.

I'd rather sign Jay Huff, I think he has more upside. He signed an exhibit 10 deal, and hopefully they'll move him up to a 2-way contract.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#311 » by FAH1223 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 11:06 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21
payitforward
RealGM

Post#312 » by payitforward » Mon Aug 9, 2021 11:49 pm

Great kid -- did you catch him saying he'd be "the first point guard to lobby senators about bitcoin..."? Dinwiddie is a very smart, very tech-aware, very entrepreneurial kid. He tried to have the NBA pay his salary (the first with a big raise) to a tech-centric business entity he'd set up, which they would not do (rightly, for fear of setting a precedent). I've been aware for many years of his involvement with digital currencies like bitcoin.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#313 » by DCZards » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:23 am

We’ve complained for years about how no top free agent wanted to come to the Zards. Well, Dinwiddie has just shifted that paradigm. Spencer clearly "wanted" to be in DC.

“I Feel a Change Comin’ On.” (Dylan)
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,363

Post#314 » by verbal8 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:51 am

payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Maybe it is a bitcoin
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,363

Post#315 » by verbal8 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:55 am

FAH1223 wrote:
payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:50+ games seems fairly likely.

Yes. Not a typo. Bobby Marks was also laughing it on ESPN. :lol: :lol:

Kemba Walker "paid" between $2 and 4 million to play for the Knicks.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/263803/Kemba-Walker-Gives-Back-$20M-In-Buyout-With-Thunder
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#316 » by keynote » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:55 am

payitforward wrote:Wait... he gets a dollar if we win the title?????

Forget the small change. Give him big money wine.

Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 870

Post#317 » by badinage » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:02 am

I love the guy.

Amazing person, and a man of intellect and range.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#318 » by gambitx777 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:39 am

80sballboy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
That $1 isn't isn't a typo lol what the actual **** lol

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Wizards set to acquire Spencer Dinwiddie 

Post#319 » by Paradise » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:58 am

gambitx777 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
That $1 isn't isn't a typo lol what the actual **** lol

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app

Lol Not surprised. He’s an elite troll. He said he wants that dollar in Pennies. He’s like the Deadpool of the NBA.

He’s pretty hilarious without even trying. He’s the most transparent player you’ll ever see. You guys are going to love his post game interviews.

It hasn’t really sunken in yet but I’ll definitely miss him.

One of my two favorite Dinwiddie moments:

Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Post#320 » by Wizardspride » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:25 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries

Return to Washington Wizards