Summer league

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Re: Summer league 

Post#101 » by Tom White » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:24 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:
Tom White wrote:Well, this is fun. First, the game vs the Wizards was called off. Now, hoping to watch the game vs Hawks and my ESPN3 feed is saying "Your event is experiencing technical difficulties"

This summer league is jinxed I'm tellin' ya! Jinxed!

Dang ! I went with Scoot’s suggestion and got the 1 month NBA tv deal for $7

My ESPN3 is fixed now right at the end of the 1st quarter.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 710

Post#102 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:28 pm

21-19 Pacers. Started out slow but Duarte got going offensively and most importantly defensively. Staying in front of his man, steals, rebounding.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#103 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:45 pm

Cassius Stanley getting beat by his man and not looking good. Fell down twice under pressure handling the ball. Not doing himself any favors. Doesn’t look like a second year player. Very disappointing. Probably what Pacers were seeing and they haven’t taken him off 2 way. Brimah doesn’t belong on a 2 way either. Pacers have decisions on young talent.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#104 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:00 pm

Again Pacers defense very bad. Atlanta shooting 63% with more assists than Pacers. Just seems like either Pacers talent is lacking or there’s no structure to their offense and defense which falls on coaching. Both Knicks and Hawks have looked more organized. Hopefully something good comes out of summer league besides the obvious currently.
The obvious is Duarte NBA second unit ready, Brissett is better than a lot but has a lot to work on.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#105 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:00 pm

Sharife Cooper. Man. Looks like the type of distributing PG we’ve wanted for awhile. How he fell so far into the 2nd, I don’t know.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#106 » by Wizop » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:03 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:Cassius Stanley getting beat by his man and not looking good. Fell down twice under pressure handling the ball. Not doing himself any favors. Doesn’t look like a second year player. Very disappointing. Probably what Pacers were seeing and they haven’t taken him off 2 way. Brimah doesn’t belong on a 2 way either. Pacers have decisions on young talent.
I don't think he's even technically on a two way. I think they just tendered him an offer to keep his rights. Brimah also has no guarantee. Washington does have a valid two way. I agree Stanley has yet to impress but so far he has company.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#107 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:06 pm

Yes indeed Sharife Cooper looks the part.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#108 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:23 pm

Wizop wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:Cassius Stanley getting beat by his man and not looking good. Fell down twice under pressure handling the ball. Not doing himself any favors. Doesn’t look like a second year player. Very disappointing. Probably what Pacers were seeing and they haven’t taken him off 2 way. Brimah doesn’t belong on a 2 way either. Pacers have decisions on young talent.
I don't think he's even technically on a two way. I think they just tendered him an offer to keep his rights. Brimah also has no guarantee. Washington does have a valid two way. I agree Stanley has yet to impress but so far he has company.

Sent from my phone.

Correct. Stanley is a restricted free agent right now. I think he’s entirely at the mercy of whether or not Lamb is moved, and the play of Duane Washington also being on a 2 way. You’d think the team wouldn’t want two players of the same kind of role on their two 2 way contracts. Probably want some variety, whether it’s a big or a wing.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#109 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:31 pm

Of course it’s just the second game so a lot of time left to evaluate. Stanley has finally shown some offense. Sykes is playing hard and looking good. Jackson hustling.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#110 » by Wizop » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:34 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Probably want some variety, whether it’s a big or a wing.

And Brissett looking like a 3 even though he was an effective 4 last year.

Jackson has a fast second jump. Neither Turner, Sabonis, or Goga has that ability.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#111 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:02 am

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Probably want some variety, whether it’s a big or a wing.

And Brissett looking like a 3 even though he was an effective 4 last year.

Yeah. I think he can play the 4. I just think his strength as a player will lie in playing the 4 and being faster, while being as strong, as much of whom he guards. As opposed to playing the 3, and being stronger, but slower than most of whom he guards. But, if we have him and Warren, or him and Craig, out there at the 3/4, they’re going to essentially be super switchable.
Jackson has a fast second jump. Neither Turner, Sabonis, or Goga has that ability.

Sent from my phone.

Yeah, Jackson is really a super athletic lob, garbage, and roll man that we haven’t had in a super long time. He’s SUPER raw offensively, but his free throw shot looks good, his jumper was a good form, and he’ll earn some time defensively and with his energy and activity.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#112 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:14 am

Of course Durante, Jackson, and Brissett belong on roster and it will be great to see them continue to compete in SL

However, in the coming days I’m interested to see if:

Does Stanley continue to play better as he did in second half today essentially taking Bone’s minutes from first game and beat out competition to remain

Does J. Bone progress after losing time on court to Stanley

Will D. Washington get back on track after coming back to earth today

Will K. Sykes be able to show more offense to impress coaches as his defense is on display

T Wallace got run at end of game so will he show enough to impress idk

Will B. Johnson get more minutes as he has stats for limited burn making me wonder what he is about

Will B. Boatwright come back from knee soreness to show what he can provide

If D. Robinson will show more

2 players haven’t played (Taylor and Henderson) which I would like to see if they have anything to offer

Brimah slow and not very aggressive seems too raw idk and really don’t expect much
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#113 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:06 am

Can’t disagree with much of anything there PF.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#114 » by Topofthekey » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:52 am

Duarte looking like a solid pick so far

Again, I think he has a high floor, and I'm liking his ceiling more and more - I don't want to say anything more than that lest I jinx anything

I think the team might be better off developing Jackson long term over Brissett

Jackson is super raw and one dimensional right now, but he looks like a much better prospect than Brissett - as Wizop mentioned, he brings something that Myles and Domas and Goga don't

Very happy with both the team's picks so far, I just hope they keep giving them opportunities, please no more stashing rookies at the end of the bench in favor of role player vets
Ree4erMadness
Senior
And1: 981

Post#115 » by Ree4erMadness » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:07 pm

I like Duarte so much, if the Brogdon issues are true, I'm good with this kid starting at PG, no bs. He plays very poised.
"In America you'll never be free, middle fingers up **** the police. Damn can a nikka just breathe? - Nas - 2008
Wizop
RealGM

Post#116 » by Wizop » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:22 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I think the team might be better off developing Jackson long term over Brissett

why not both? I see Jackson as a 4/5 and Brissett as a 3/4.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#117 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:13 pm

Wizop wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:I think the team might be better off developing Jackson long term over Brissett

Definitely agree. They really fill different roles completely, to me.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#118 » by Topofthekey » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:35 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Definitely agree. They really fill different roles completely, to me.

Possibly

I see Justin as the long term backup at 3 though, as in the next 4 or 5 years. But yes there's not reason they can't slot Brissett in somewhere

But I'd like to see Jackson as the primary backup at 4
Wizop
RealGM

Post#119 » by Wizop » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:03 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I see Justin as the long term backup at 3 though, as in the next 4 or 5 years. But yes there's not reason they can't slot Brissett in somewhere

But I'd like to see Jackson as the primary backup at 4

Justin will be 34 when he is an unrestricted free agent in 2023. I can see him getting one more contract as a locker room leader, but I don't see him being a primary backup at 36 or 37.

it would be nice if Jackson could earn substantial second unit minutes as a rookie, but I think Brissett keeps that spot for now. maybe next year Jackson will push Brissett to 3 where he'll compete with Justin but minutes must be earned.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#120 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:32 pm

I think Jackson could fill a role as a defensive sub off the bench this year, but I think his offensive weaknesses will make him enough of a liability that his minutes will have to be managed tightly. I think Oshae’s ability to not be a negative on both ends makes him likelier as the primary backup there at the 4, though Warren could play some 4, too.

As Wizop pointed out, Justin is higher in age. I’d really project him as a backup at the 2/3 for this contract, and maybe he’s brought back after this deal as more of a 4th or 5th wing on a smaller deal. I think there’s really a flexibility for him to grow into roles the next year or two without being left to their own devices immediately.

Return to Indiana Pacers