No
33%

Total votes: 48

Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,496

Would you trade Maxi for Markkanen? 

Post#1 » by Maverick41 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:04 pm

One of the most common rumors is the Mavs being interested in Markkanen. With the Bulls having several roster spots open and a glut at PF, the most likely asking price they will have is Maxi along with fillers (ex. Burke, WCS).

I'm honestly conflicted. I like Maxi and think he fits far better if KP is going to be here to stay. On the other hand, there's no doubt that Lauri has the higher ceiling. The team is starving for talent with not much room to improve so this is a swing that could work but at the expense of a fan favorite and very good role player.

If you were Nico, would you do this trade?
Darren
RealGM
And1: 824

Re: Would you trade Maxi for Markkanen? 

Post#2 » by Darren » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:17 am

Words out of rumors is Chicago doesn't want to take back any salary. So, it's TPE from J-Rich trade with a 1st for Markkanen on 9M per contract. That's no brainer for the cost. The Mavs is likely end up with non-lottery pick. That's a steal.

Problem is that many team could beat this offer. And it gets Markkanen to take massive paycut. And it also needs to get Chicago on a sign-and-trade to make it happen. Markkanen on 9M per could net much better return.

Therefore, to make things more realistic, a third team should be involved. That means a third team will need to take on salary. Most easiest trade chip could be WCS and Burke. However, extra incentives are required. With strong play from Tyrell in SL, I'd hessitate to give in Terry or Green for such a deal. Maybe Miami 2023 2nd. Which team would find it interested? San Antonio? OKC?
Darren
RealGM
And1: 824

Post#3 » by Darren » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:26 am

TPE & 1st to Chicago
Markkanen & something to Mavs
Powell, WCS, Burke & something to San Antonio
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#4 » by HairyGOATee » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:55 am

nah, trade Powell for Lauri instead.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,996

Post#5 » by HMFFL » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:15 am

I can be critical of Maxi but he is productive for us. We need to figure out something without giving up players that make sense to keep at the moment.

Player, option for Chicago to swap a future first round (or becomes a second round pick), and throw in a second.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,496

Post#6 » by Maverick41 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:06 am

If Powell, Josh, and a 2nd gets it done, that would be my preference over trading Maxi. I prefer not to trade a 1st just so we have some flexibility of trading them for a different package.
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,233

Post#7 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:21 pm

Markkanen is a horrible defender according to others, like real bad. Maxi is a great defender who can do a great job against today's big 4 like Zion Williamson. I don't mind Markkanen, but I don't see a good fit if we lose defence for him.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,362

Post#8 » by Mavrelous » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:36 pm

The point of trading for Lauri is adding talent, and MAvs have a TPE, if it becomes giving up proven talent (not an allstar, but still good defensive big who knocks down open shots, runs P&R and can play the 4 and the 5), then I'd pass.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Post#9 » by Bob8 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:13 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:Markkanen is a horrible defender according to others, like real bad. Maxi is a great defender who can do a great job against today's big 4 like Zion Williamson. I don't mind Markkanen, but I don't see a good fit if we lose defence for him.

Can we please forget Kleber as starter? Yes he was shooting 41% for 3, but he has averaged only 7 points in RS and 5 in playoffs. We desperately need some upgrade on Kleber and DFS. Markkanen is 5 years younger too. His ceiling is much higher. Kleber is better defender, but he's overall not good enough to start in good team. Mavs has to change something, Markkanen is for sure worth a try, if Kleber is a price.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,809

Post#10 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:30 pm

Bob8 wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:Markkanen is a horrible defender according to others, like real bad. Maxi is a great defender who can do a great job against today's big 4 like Zion Williamson. I don't mind Markkanen, but I don't see a good fit if we lose defence for him.

Can we please forget Kleber as starter? Yes he was shooting 41% for 3, but he has averaged only 7 points in RS and 5 in playoffs. We desperately need some upgrade on Kleber and DFS. Markkanen is 5 years younger too. His ceiling is much higher. Kleber is better defender, but he's overall not good enough to start in good team. Mavs has to change something, Markkanen is for sure worth a try, if Kleber is a price.

Agreee.

We can't play with DFS(or Bullock) and Kleber, they only stand on the 3point line waiting the ball.
I don't know if Markaneen is the right guy for us, but for a 15M per year i should try...if he doesn't work you can flip him without problems( he isn't Powell).

Trade Maxi plus WCS, Burke, Boban, Powell and all trash we have.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#11 » by LAL1947 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:45 am

I'd like to take a punt on Lauri but not sure if that should come at the expense of Kleber.
Kleber can switch some on defense and is a positive because of it.
I haven't paid attention to Markannen in recent years...
but Bulls fans say he can't guard the paint or the perimeter, which is worrisome.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#12 » by Bob8 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:10 am

LAL1947 wrote:I'd like to take a punt on Lauri but not sure if that should come at the expense of Kleber.
but Bulls fans say he can't guard the paint or the perimeter, which is worrisome.

Kleber is what he's, he won't get better anymore, playing with Luka gives him nice open shots. On the other hand Markkanen is much younger and has never played with player like Luka. He will very likely get better with Luka. I would rather give to Bulls Powell or some other C, but they wouldn't take them. So Kleber looks pretty fair price to get much younger and much better offensive player.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,857

Post#13 » by dirkules_41 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:54 am

Bob8 wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:I'd like to take a punt on Lauri but not sure if that should come at the expense of Kleber.

Kleber is what he's, he won't get better anymore, playing with Luka gives him nice open shots. On the other hand Markkanen is much younger and has never played with player like Luka. He will very likely get better with Luka. I would rather give to Bulls Powell or some other C, but they wouldn't take them. So Kleber looks pretty fair price to get much younger and much better offensive player.

To be fair Maxi has improved significantly year by year by year so I wouldn't say that. I'd be very reluctant to give him up and would explore any other avenues first really but I think there's little doubt that Markkanen is a more exciting long term prospect.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:06 am

LeBron maked Booby Gibson like Ray Allen...Jamario Moon like Shawn Marion...Anderson Varejao like Tim Duncan...Ecc ecc

Luka is doing the same with Maxi, DFS,THJ.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,033

Post#15 » by daoneandonly » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:50 am

No way Lauri has a piss poor attitude and cant defend anyone, I wouldnt touch him, let alone give up maxi for him
Pentele
Sophomore
And1: 176

Post#16 » by Pentele » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:33 am

Lauri's defensive acumen is not particularly great, but he is not that awful as many seem to think. If I remember correctly, he was the second best Bulls big according to most defensive statistics last year, and after the trade deadline when he supposedly had (I presume) a "piss poor attitude" he led the Bulls in +/- after Troy Brown Jr. (who only played in a few games). He is actually an average to good perimeter defender (the Bulls even found minutes him as 3 nearing the end of the season) but not a rim protector by any means. But he has length, so he is usually doing a better job defending the rim when he is not trying to chase blocks (which he does not get). The biggest problem with Markkanen on defense has always been that he is not a good help defender, not that he could not hold his own 1 on 1 (for example, he was the only player on the roster who could do anything with AD last season, and that has to say something). But ask anyone relatively reasonable Bulls fan and they tell you Lauri's help defense improved a lot during the season. I do not see why he should stop, there, now that he seems to be getting hang of things, so there is some potential upside on that front.

The truth is the Bulls biggest problem last season was the perimeter defense, and particularly how the point of attack was (not) defended. That is what coach Donovan said the whole season, and that is what the Bulls have sought to address in FA (by adding Caruso and Ball who are good perimeter defenders). Lauri and some other young bigs like Wendell Carter Jr. and Daniel Gafford became ones to blame, and that is mostly I think because that last line of defense is the most visible ones. But guess what, Gafford especially started to look like a steal immediately after he was traded at the deadline, and Carter also seemed visibly better. Markkanen's case is a classic example of people finding a whipping boy. He is not likely to be the star he projected to be during the rookie season and even the season after, but he definitely has talent, can contribute as a starter now and still has upside left.

And there is of course also the fact that Markkanen with Doncic could be absolutely lethal on offense, but there is no need to go into that. People are concerned about Markkanen's defense, and perhaps rightly so. What I want to say is that those concerns are seriously overblown amongst the Bulls fans in general.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#17 » by Bob8 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:10 pm

[streamable][/streamable]
daoneandonly wrote:No way Lauri has a piss poor attitude and cant defend anyone, I wouldnt touch him, let alone give up maxi for him

Please tell me, what exactly has Kleber done in last 2 playoffs? And playoffs is the only thing what matters in a team with Luka. He's not good enough in D to do anything about other teams stars and he's absolutely awful in offense as starter.

Love for Kleber is totally irrational and just show how bad Mavs' roster is, if Kleber is almost unmovable.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,033

Post#18 » by daoneandonly » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:20 pm

Bob8 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:No way Lauri has a piss poor attitude and cant defend anyone, I wouldnt touch him, let alone give up maxi for him

Please tell me, what exactly has Kleber done in last 2 playoffs? And playoffs is the only thing what matters in a team with Luka. He's not good enough in D to do anything about other teams stars and he's absolutely awful in offense as starter.

Please tell me what exactly is the appeal of Lauri and if was so great, why is he still on the market? I know you're obsessed with most Euro players and not really a Mavs fan sans Luka, but Lauri sucks. years ago Dallas had someone just liek Lauri, his name was Charlie Villanueva. He was nothing more than a vet min who stretched the floor and at time's score din bunches, thats all Lauri is.

Im not a huge Kleber fan, but he puts effort on D unlike Lauri. No one can guard Kawhi yet so many blame Maxi for him going off when he was also injured. Thats the Mavs FO for not getting bigger wings who cna defend, and here we are, new FO, still have that problem.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#19 » by Bob8 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:22 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Please tell me what exactly is the appeal of Lauri and if was so great, why is he still on the market? I know you're obsessed with most Euro players and not really a Mavs fan sans Luka, but Lauri sucks. years ago Dallas had someone just liek Lauri, his name was Charlie Villanueva. He was nothing more than a vet min who stretched the floor and at time's score din bunches, thats all Lauri is.

Im not a huge Kleber fan, but he puts effort on D unlike Lauri. No one can guard Kawhi yet so many blame Maxi for him going off when he was also injured. Thats the Mavs FO for not getting bigger wings who cna defend, and here we are, new FO, still have that problem.

Believe me I would much rather have true American player like AD, but unfortunate nobody is giving player like him for 7/5 guy. ;)

Tell me which good big can Kleber effectively defend, if we agree that he cannot defend wings?

Markkanen wasn't just by case 7th pick. He's 7'0 Pf, who can shoot. He's only 24 years old and looks like a player, who will benefit a lot playing with Luka. Not ideal by any means, but his price looks pretty cheap also. Mavs will sooner or later have to take some risks. Markkanen looks like very solid gamble.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:24 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Sorry for you but we are in the 2021 and 2 European guys won the last 3 MVPs...and this year the ring plus the Finals MVP.

Oh yes we have a not bad European boy in our team.

Return to Dallas Mavericks