ImageImageImage

Welcome to Virtual Boston, Yam Madar!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Re: Welcome to Virtual Boston, Yam Madar! 

Post#441 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:21 am

robbie84 wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
robbie84 wrote:I like all these guys. Begarin, Yam, the white guy who can shoot.
Get rid of Carson and Taco and see if we can build these guys into role players/trade assets with value.

Carson, Taco and don't forget Grant. I'd prefer the dude who can shoot over him. I wouldn't mind Yam having a guaranteed roster spot if he continues playing this way. Begarin on a two way deal for this year.

I like Grant, I think he's underrated here, especially defensively. Without Thompson I think we'll need him.
If he can get his 3pt % up to 38/40% he'll be the perfect versatile big for us.

To me, he's too short and not quick enough. Not quick enough to guard wings and too dang short to be play the 5 or even 4. He's 6'5 with 6'10 wingspan. He's as tall as Romeo. Why the heck isn't he playing in Summer League...

Back to Yam, I want him to play more minutes in our next game.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
lon3lytoaster
Head Coach
And1: 5,497

Post#442 » by lon3lytoaster » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:04 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
robbie84 wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
Carson, Taco and don't forget Grant. I'd prefer the dude who can shoot over him. I wouldn't mind Yam having a guaranteed roster spot if he continues playing this way. Begarin on a two way deal for this year.

I like Grant, I think he's underrated here, especially defensively. Without Thompson I think we'll need him.

To me, he's too short and not quick enough. Not quick enough to guard wings and too dang short to be play the 5 or even 4. He's 6'5 with 6'10 wingspan. He's as tall as Romeo. Why the heck isn't he playing in Summer League...

Yeah, I'm very okay with moving on from Grant. I was really hopeful he'd be the humble, hard working Jared Sullinger type this team needs and while he's a nice guy and I'm sure works... He just isn't a long-term NBA player in my eyes.

Yam's got that speed and swagger. Loved the earlier comparison to 19 year old Avery Bradley.. Think he may be a tad longer and bigger but he definitely looks the part of a guy who'll play in the NBA at some point. Don't know if it's this year but he'll definitely be with the Celtics soon.
2Fluffy4U
Freshman
And1: 81

Post#443 » by 2Fluffy4U » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:30 pm

Hal14 wrote:

Am I color blind or are the opposing teams wear the exact same color shirts at 3:13?
So confusing.. how can this happen in professional basketball?
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#444 » by cloverleaf » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:53 pm

lon3lytoaster wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
robbie84 wrote:

Yeah, I'm very okay with moving on from Grant. I was really hopeful he'd be the humble, hard working Jared Sullinger type this team needs and while he's a nice guy and I'm sure works... He just isn't a long-term NBA player in my eyes.

Yam's got that speed and swagger. Loved the earlier comparison to 19 year old Avery Bradley.. Think he may be a tad longer and bigger but he definitely looks the part of a guy who'll play in the NBA at some point. Don't know if it's this year but he'll definitely be with the Celtics soon.

Grant needs to look to Sully as a cautionary tale and lose some weight before he washes out of the league. And Madar isn't really like the nervous overdrive 19yo AB, that's more early Nesmith. Yam's moves are purposeful and effective.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#445 » by bucknersrevenge » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:24 pm

The addition of Schroeder now in effect ruins any remaining shot Madar had of making this team. He is blocked from all angles now. They will almost certainly send him back to Europe now to complete his contract.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#446 » by cloverleaf » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:39 am

Yam's play today doesn't help.

Back for another year's stash, but I am sure this experience is great for him.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Post#447 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:13 am

He'd be better in Maine on a two-way, if he'll do it.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#448 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:18 am

Curmudgeon wrote:He'd be better in Maine on a two-way, if he'll do it.

Why buy him out just to send him to Maine? Just send him back to Europe to play out his contract.

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,007

Post#449 » by Hal14 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:56 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:The addition of Schroeder now in effect ruins any remaining shot Madar had of making this team. He is blocked from all angles now. They will almost certainly send him back to Europe now to complete his contract.

Probably, but there could be more moves coming. Dunn and/or Smart could still be traded..

But yeah, seems likely at this point he will go back to Israel to complete his contract..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#450 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:15 am

Hal14 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:The addition of Schroeder now in effect ruins any remaining shot Madar had of making this team. He is blocked from all angles now. They will almost certainly send him back to Europe now to complete his contract.

Probably, but there could be more moves coming. Dunn and/or Smart could still be traded..

But yeah, seems likely at this point he will go back to Israel to complete his contract..

Either way, there's a lot to like so far. You were right about him.

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,214

Post#451 » by Parliament10 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:55 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:

Why buy him out just to send him to Maine? Just send him back to Europe to play out his contract.

While you do have a point. I think that Madar would go for the Two-Way.
I definitely don't think that he wants to spend another year abroad.

He can play up to 50 games, before his contract would automatically go Full-NBA.
The Two-Way would give Yam much more flexibility. I think that he'll take that bet.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,211

Post#452 » by Homerclease » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:52 pm

He looks like he’s 14 out there. Really struggled with the size of the Nuggets SL squad. He definitely needs another year of seasoning in Europe but clearly there’s some talent there
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#453 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:40 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:

Because he needs to get into the weight room and have his physical development closely monitored. That won't happen in Israel if he is just playing out the last year of his contract. Also as a two way player he will get real NBA experience from time to time.

The buyout amount is peanuts by NBA standards. And it doesn't go on the cap.

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#454 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:51 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:

He can play up to 50 games, before his contract would automatically go Full-NBA.
The Two-Way would give Yam much more flexibility. I think that he'll take that bet.

Yeah, but is it about what HE wants? I'm thinking about what Brad wants here. And what flexibility he has in money and in roster slots. If I'm Brad, why do I take money out of my pocket to pay for him to play in Maine?

Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#455 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:42 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:

Yeah, but is it about what HE wants? I'm thinking about what Brad wants here. And what flexibility he has in money and in roster slots. If I'm Brad, why do I take money out of my pocket to pay for him to play in Maine?

Once again, the money is inconsequential. The real question is, who do the Celtics like better than Madar as a development project who could fill the other two way slot? Sam Hauser has already filled one of them, who gets the other?

Now if Madar wants to go back to Israel instead of agreeing to a two-way, that's fine, let him go.

Hal14
RealGM

Post#456 » by Hal14 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:07 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:

Well either way, we are going to pay 2 players on a 2-way contract. Question is, should Madar be 1 of those 2 guys?

If we do have 2 other guys we want to give those 2-way contracts to, who are those 2 guys? Next question, of those 2 guys, who is the worst of 2 players? Whoever it is, let's call him Player X. Next question, how much better would it be (both for Madar's development and for the team) if he is on a 2-way contract, rather than 1 more yr in Israel? Is that enough to justify losing out on Player X? And is it enough to justify paying to buyout Yam out of his Israel contract?

The answer to these questions, I'm not sure.

Hauser is signed to a 2-way contract, which leaves 1 other 2-way slot open.

Realistically, the only candidates I am seeing for that 1 other slot are:

-Madar
-Begarin
-Auguste

Auguste has been getting decent minutes and has played okay in the first 2 summer league games. I haven't been too impressed though and I have no problem if they just wish him well and he goes back to playing in Europe. I think if both Madar and Begarin go back overseas next year then sure, give Hauser and Auguste the 2-way contracts.

The other guy people have floated as maybe being a 2-way contract is Nigel Hayes but I saw an article that said Hayes wanted a guaranteed roster spot and not a 2-way deal.

Unless Auguste really shows out during the rest of summer league, I figure they will just let him go back to Europe. Afterall, the dude is 28 yrs old so very limited upside - and we have plenty of big man depth with rob/al/kanter/Bruno. Which means it probably just comes down to Begarin and Madar - they pick 1 of them for a 2-way contract and the other 1 goes back overseas.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#457 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:13 pm

It's clear from Summer league that Fernando is already better than Auguste.

Hal14
RealGM

Post#458 » by Hal14 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:46 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:It's clear from Summer league that Fernando is already better than Auguste.

Well yeah, that seems very clear. I never said otherwise.

Fernando has an NBA contract, so we can't put him on a 2-way deal. Fernando is guaranteed to be on our 15 man active roster (unless he's traded before the season).

The question isn't about Fernando or Auguste being better. The question is whether Auguste can show enough during the remaining summer league games to earn a 2 way-contract. If not, we just let him go back to Europe where he was playing before.

Again, we have 2 2-way contract spots. 1 of them will be Hauser. The candidates for the other spot are:

-Auguste
-Madar
-Begarin

Begarin and Madar can just go back to their overseas team for another yr if we don't give them the other 2-way slot. But if we don't give the other 2-way slot to Auguste, then Auguste could either go back to his Europe team or play on the Maine g-league team but not on a 2-way contract, so would just be our center on that team with no chance of getting called up to the Celtics. I am guessing if those are his options he would go back to Europe where he'd probably make more $.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#459 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:07 pm

Auguste is just filling out the Maine roster. He has no NBA future other than as a 14th or 15th man. So offer the 2 way to Madar, and if he declines, offer it to Begarin.

But Begarin already has an NBA body. He needs basketball development, but not physical development. Madar needs both, although he is more polished than Begarin.

There are other undrafted players out there who are playing Summer league with teams that will not sign them. Yves Pons is an interesting guy, just to name one.

The Celtics can also have up to 6 Exhibit 10 players.

grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,654

Post#460 » by grindtime22 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:21 pm

The Celtics can't pay the Yam buyout to sign him to a 2-way deal or exhibit 10 deal. That is how I read the rules anyway. If we pay the buyout, it has to be for a regular roster spot. Signing Schroder and using up the mid level also makes it less likely he is getting one of those spots.

Return to Boston Celtics