ImageImageImage

Why did the Heat trade away…

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

HEATVols865
General Manager
And1: 6,632

Re: Why did the Heat trade away… 

Post#41 » by HEATVols865 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:19 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:
gom wrote:Great thread.

Like HEATVols865, we were in Brazil when the Heat became an NBA team and moved to S. Florida just after Andrew. I was still a Lakers fan at the time, and you may recall, the post-Magic team led by Worthy & Divac (etc) wasn't great. Riley moving to Miami triggered my change of allegiance, but it took time. And while I disagree with a number of his choices, he gets it right much more often than not.

Ah man, Andrew. My family moved to Miami from New Jersey, in like 1989. I remember Andrew as a little boy. To this day, I've been through every single Hurricane in Miami since Andrew, and Andrew is the only one who scared the **** outta me. It was scary. Like, back then, I remember Andrew made our roof shake. It was literally shaking side to side about an inch either way. It was also shaking the **** out of our patio glass doors. We had to put a couch up touching the glass doors, and put some heavy things on the couch, so the glass wouldn't shake itself to destruction. We got lucky.

After Andrew, the entire city of Miami was a trash dump. It was like at least a week before we could drive our cars, due to so much debris and tree branches and stuff on the road.

A lot of people took advantage of the chaos after Andrew too. I remember the National Guard came in to Miami to help us, due to the massive destruction to city utilities and all that. There was a national guardsman who raped a woman and killed her boyfriend, he pretended he was helping them. That was sad.

My uncle lived in an apartment called Sherwood West near Kendall and when Andrew was hitting them he heard his front door cracking. It was about to bust open so he got battery screwed driver and drove all the screw he could from the door diagonally into the door frame, he said it was dozens.
When I visited him in 94 they were moving from that place and the door was Swiss cheese.
We went to a buddy of his for Christmas Eve and that year and in his neighborhood there were some houses that were not rebuilt yet and all you saw were the sticks standing and some outside walls. It was creepy and sad.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
#HEATLifer #VFL

You're welcome LeBron.

Tyler Herro is a TURD.
Bam is NOT elite but is getting better.
Fire Spoelstra!
Josh Heupel is coming for you.

I’m a proud admirer and lover of BBWs!

Formerly known as Brazilian, QueenOfFairies and HEATlanta.
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,450

Post#42 » by gom » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:33 pm

We were about to make an offer on a new house in Country Walk a week before Andrew hit and ended up in Pembroke Pines instead.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,197

Post#43 » by BBallFreak » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:57 am

gom wrote:We were about to make an offer on a new house in Country Walk a week before Andrew hit and ended up in Pembroke Pines instead.
I was a hop skip and a jump from Pembroke Pines. Grew up in Plantation.
HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#44 » by HeatFanLifer » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:05 am

HEATVols865 wrote:
Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:
gom wrote:Great thread.

Like HEATVols865, we were in Brazil when the Heat became an NBA team and moved to S. Florida just after Andrew. I was still a Lakers fan at the time, and you may recall, the post-Magic team led by Worthy & Divac (etc) wasn't great. Riley moving to Miami triggered my change of allegiance, but it took time. And while I disagree with a number of his choices, he gets it right much more often than not.

Ah man, Andrew. My family moved to Miami from New Jersey, in like 1989. I remember Andrew as a little boy. To this day, I've been through every single Hurricane in Miami since Andrew, and Andrew is the only one who scared the **** outta me. It was scary. Like, back then, I remember Andrew made our roof shake. It was literally shaking side to side about an inch either way. It was also shaking the **** out of our patio glass doors. We had to put a couch up touching the glass doors, and put some heavy things on the couch, so the glass wouldn't shake itself to destruction. We got lucky.

After Andrew, the entire city of Miami was a trash dump. It was like at least a week before we could drive our cars, due to so much debris and tree branches and stuff on the road.

A lot of people took advantage of the chaos after Andrew too. I remember the National Guard came in to Miami to help us, due to the massive destruction to city utilities and all that. There was a national guardsman who raped a woman and killed her boyfriend, he pretended he was helping them. That was sad.

My uncle lived in an apartment called Sherwood West near Kendall and when Andrew was hitting them he heard his front door cracking. It was about to bust open so he got battery screwed driver and drove all the screw he could from the door diagonally into the door frame, he said it was dozens.
When I visited him in 94 they were moving from that place and the door was Swiss cheese.
We went to a buddy of his for Christmas Eve and that year and in his neighborhood there were some houses that were not rebuilt yet and all you saw were the sticks standing and some outside walls. It was creepy and sad.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I was in Miami Lakes during Andrew. Lost power for a bit and had some damage to the community from fallen trees, but that was about it. It was a very compact storm.
OP for NBA FT record
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,450

Post#45 » by gom » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:57 pm

Yeah, there was a massive difference in how people were affected. We lived in a rented home in Doral during Andrew. One tiny tree fell over. South of Bird Rd was a hundred-fold worse. Around the zoo some townhomes didn't have walls. By the water near Homestead houses were filled with mud.

Also, the Seikaly-Rice-Long-Coles Heat were not very good the following season: 36-46.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
Beenie
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,303

Post#46 » by Beenie » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:24 pm

Good thread.

Born and raised in Broward county where apart from a bunch of dislodged trees, water damage, and power outages, we were mostly, by comparison to Dade, unscathed by Andrew, at least to my recollection.

No decimated neighborhoods, thankfully.

This was around the time The Heat made their first playoff appearance in which they got creamed by the Bulls.

Although my memories are vague, I recall it being a fun time to be a Heat fan.

Return to Miami Heat