ImageImageImage

How Do You Feel About Lauri Markkanen?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Re: How Do You Feel About Lauri Markkanen? 

Post#21 » by arkuo » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:14 am

Lauri makes sense if you're open to moving on from KP at some point.

For conversation sake, would KAT + Lauri work better than KP + Kleber? I know the defense would be questionable.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,005

Post#22 » by HMFFL » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:57 pm

arkuo wrote:Lauri makes sense if you're open to moving on from KP at some point.

For conversation sake, would KAT + Lauri work better than KP + Kleber? I know the defense would be questionable.
KAT while has his flaw is an upgrade. He's underrated with the exception of his lack of defense and poor leadership. I am willing to see how the chemistry would be with KAT than KP.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#23 » by arkuo » Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:24 pm

HMFFL wrote:
arkuo wrote:Lauri makes sense if you're open to moving on from KP at some point.

KAT while has his flaw is an upgrade. He's underrated with the exception of his lack of defense and poor leadership. I am willing to see how the chemistry would be with KAT than KP.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Poor leadership is what actually can make things work with KAT. You see, a team like the Mavs will always have Luka as an alpha. You get a pseudo alpha like KP and he wouldn't like how he's used and how his touches have decreased. You get beta males like DLo and KAT, then you wouldn't have people complaining about lack of touches and how things need to be run. They just stay in their lane and follow Luka. It could work. Cuban roughly has until 2023 to get some big names in. The choices are pretty limited as it is IMO.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#24 » by ejs78 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:10 pm

With KOC, Stein, and Fischer all bringing this up it leads me to believe something is there 100%.

As far as the Markkanen the player I would be on this for that TPE maybe a little more. I believe the offense game is still there and only will get better with the help of Luka.

On the defensive end whoa baby theres gonna be some issues especially if the actually try to play him with KP.

Its definitely not a home run but if you look at him, Bullock, Sterling Brown, and maybe Dragic as your off season I would be pretty happy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#25 » by JJP » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:13 pm

ejs78 wrote:With KOC, Stein, and Fischer all bringing this up it leads me to believe something is there 100%.

As far as the Markkanen the player I would be on this for that TPE maybe a little more. I believe the offense game is still there and only will get better with the help of Luka.

On the defensive end whoa baby theres gonna be some issues especially if the actually try to play him with KP.

Its definitely not a home run but if you look at him, Bullock, Sterling Brown, and maybe Dragic as your off season I would be pretty happy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Pretty much agree with all of this.

I said in another thread that an article from Chicago profiled Laurin and said he was significantly better of defense when guarding the opponent's center. If that's true, he could play in a small-ball rotation without KP... or in another scenario he could rotate in behind Bullock at SF. However, it's hard to imagine a line-up where KP and Laurin are sharing the court.
gottamakeit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,397

Post#26 » by gottamakeit » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:25 pm

I don't feel good about adding another player that needs a high percent of his 3pt shots to be assisted. We already have a bunch of guys like that. Luka has an enormous burden generating offensive looks for guys already.
cupcakesnake wrote:...no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,810

Post#27 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:49 pm

Markaneen is a 15/18PPG guy playing with Luka, he isn't only a good shooters he has offensive skills.
If you think he is like Kleber, DFS, Bullock ecc ecc maybe you haven't see too much of him...
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#28 » by fuller4379 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:59 pm

Only if we can use the trade exception plus a second round pick. I don’t think he is worth more than $11 million or losing a first round pick. We need to keep the first rounders in case a difference maker comes along. Makkanen is not a difference maker.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#29 » by SOUNDCHASER » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:38 am

he would have been a much bigger priority for Chicago if he were a major talent to max out but they saw fit to pass on him and go after others like DDR and Ball. The Bulls are a smart franchise and they want to see more tradiitional players I think. OR they may have some animosity towards Euros and feel he was not worth developing because of that. Hard to say. I would think we are about out of contention for him with what little we have to offer.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#30 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:40 am

fuller4379 wrote:Only if we can use the trade exception plus a second round pick. I don’t think he is worth more than $11 million or losing a first round pick. We need to keep the first rounders in case a difference maker comes along. Makkanen is not a difference maker.

I'd be fine with giving up a first if the Mavs can shed Powell in the deal.

Honestly, I'd be fine with giving the Bulls a first round pick and the TPE straight up for Lauri. He was the 7th pick 4 years ago. Give up a lottery or top 20 protected first round pick in 2025 and that's OK. I'm down with that. He fits the timeline, can shoot, knows how to finish a little, can put the ball on the floor a little, and can even playmake some.
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#31 » by JJP » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:31 pm

Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#32 » by Teffer10 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:05 pm

JJP wrote:Three-way trade possibility from the smokingcuban

https://thesmokingcuban.com/2021/08/14/dallas-mavericks-rumors-lauri-markkanen-deal/

I'd love to add Markkanen but seems like a virtually impossible task.
No way should we give up a 1st rounder for him.
I'd definitely do that 3-way deal if all sides would agree though.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#33 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:29 pm

I wish Lauri could rebound like KLove
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#34 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:42 pm

How much would Lauri move the needle though?
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,810

Post#35 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:53 pm

We don't have assets to trade because we didn't sign anyone.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#36 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:17 am

41Dirk41 wrote:We don't have assets to trade because we didn't sign anyone.

Can't trade away recently signed players (assuming they are new to the team) until like 60 days into the season or something like that.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#37 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:17 am

If Lauri opts in and then gets traded to Dallas, would the Mavs then have his bird rights?
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Post#38 » by FranchisePlayer » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:55 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:If Lauri opts in and then gets traded to Dallas, would the Mavs then have his bird rights?

I'm pretty sure many posters on the Bulls board would know and kindly answer you.
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#39 » by FranchisePlayer » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:59 pm

SOUNDCHASER wrote:he would have been a much bigger priority for Chicago if he were a major talent to max out but they saw fit to pass on him and go after others like DDR and Ball. The Bulls are a smart franchise and they want to see more tradiitional players I think. OR they may have some animosity towards Euros and feel he was not worth developing because of that. Hard to say. I would think we are about out of contention for him with what little we have to offer.

I'd reckon he's more after a starter's role than a big pay day. Sure I could be wrong.

He really didn't take it too well after being benched for two career journey men who seemingly had no future in the Bulls.
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#40 » by FranchisePlayer » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:05 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:How much would Lauri move the needle though?

Offensively a lot more than has been seen so far. He's played all of his career without a competent PG. At best unstoppable, he really can score in many ways; deep, mid range, poster dunks.

12/2/2022

Return to Dallas Mavericks