2021 G League and Summer League Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,545

Re: 2021 G League and Summer League Thread 

Post#61 » by Devilanche » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:36 pm

At this stage I’m just going concentrate on who’s on the team. If I have a few minutes sure going watch houston too. Really like green/ Garuba/ Sengun as prospect.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#62 » by retrobro90 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:10 pm

I really hope we get a nice performance from Mann tonight just to show that he's capable. Still think he's pretty boom or bust but right now it seems dependent on how much he can fill out physically. He's borderline Trae Young levels of getting pushed around on defense and if he's not hitting shots it's kinda brutal. The upside is clearly there though. Impressive handle and shiftiness that not many possess.
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 112

Post#63 » by namlede » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:54 pm

any updates regards to Giddey? I saw the swollen ankle pic but no word on the team yet for today's game.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 112

Post#64 » by namlede » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:55 pm

retrobro90 wrote:I really hope we get a nice performance from Mann tonight just to show that he's capable. Still think he's pretty boom or bust but right now it seems dependent on how much he can fill out physically. He's borderline Trae Young levels of getting pushed around on defense and if he's not hitting shots it's kinda brutal. The upside is clearly there though. Impressive handle and shiftiness that not many possess.
his shiftiness really catches my eye, he just glides on the court. fun guy to watch move around.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#65 » by bondom34 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:57 pm

Also FWIW, know it's summer league overreaction season, but seems pretty clear that Sengun wasn't going to be picked either way. If they took Mann at 16 and someone else at 18 the discussion would likely be different, but instead a mid first round pick seems to be getting called out as a star after 2 summer league games. And I'm not saying he won't be good (I have no idea), but that wasn't going to be a real option either way.

Its the same thing as passing on anyone in any other draft.

As well, he was Turkish league MVP. Is it really that odd that he's playing well against guys who aren't professionals? And if we're doing this w/ Sengun Maledon must be French Magic.

Not saying it was/wasn't the right move, but maybe giving it more than 2 summer league games a season into a rebuild might be a way to go. Know plenty of folks liked him too, and not tampering that down just saying maybe give it a little more than that much time.

We don't really know much about these guys for a few seasons and if we're judging from 2 summer league games Cunningham might be a bust too (note: this is not true).
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,122

Post#66 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:24 pm

bondom34 wrote:Also FWIW, know it's summer league overreaction season, but seems pretty clear that Sengun wasn't going to be picked either way. If they took Mann at 16 and someone else at 18 the discussion would likely be different, but instead a mid first round pick seems to be getting called out as a star after 2 summer league games. And I'm not saying he won't be good (I have no idea), but that wasn't going to be a real option either way.

As well, he was Turkish league MVP. Is it really that odd that he's playing well against guys who aren't professionals? And if we're doing this w/ Sengun Maledon must be French Magic.

Not saying it was/wasn't the right move, but maybe giving it more than 2 summer league games a season into a rebuild might be a way to go. Know plenty of folks liked him too, and not tampering that down just saying maybe give it a little more than that much time.

We don't really know much about these guys for a few seasons and if we're judging from 2 summer league games Cunningham might be a bust too (note: this is not true).

We can talk hours about Sengun and we won't agree anyway . I know you don't like him but as the #16 pick the value was REALLY good. Most experts had him 9-13. Sure nobody picked him before so teams were not that high on him and he may overvalued by fans/draft experts but still a lot of guys on draft board that don't like him that much still had him in the 10-15 range.

Sengun has a lot of question marks and he was MVP in a bad league but we traded two FRPs to pick Poku who barely played in a terrible league and has a lot more question marks. Gonna be a miracle if Poku can have an healthy career in the NBA.

I just feel that sometimes Presti tries too much to find his own "treasure" instead of the obvious pick.

I still think he's one of the best GMs in the business but I'm a bit skeptical about many draft picks over the last few years. Hope he will prove me wrong :)
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by bondom34 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:41 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Also FWIW, know it's summer league overreaction season, but seems pretty clear that Sengun wasn't going to be picked either way. If they took Mann at 16 and someone else at 18 the discussion would likely be different, but instead a mid first round pick seems to be getting called out as a star after 2 summer league games. And I'm not saying he won't be good (I have no idea), but that wasn't going to be a real option either way.

We can talk hours about Sengun and we won't agree anyway . I know you don't like him but as the #16 pick the value was REALLY good. Most experts had him 9-13. Sure nobody picked him before so teams were not that high on him and he may overvalued by fans/draft experts but still a lot of guys on draft board that don't like him that much still had him in the 10-15 range.

Sengun has a lot of question marks and he was MVP in a bad league but we traded two FRPs to pick Poku who barely played in a terrible league and has a lot more question marks. Gonna be a miracle if Poku can have an healthy career in the NBA.

I just feel that sometimes Presti tries too much to find his own "treasure" instead of the obvious pick.

I still think he's one of the best GMs in the business but I'm a bit skeptical about many draft picks over the last few years. Hope he will prove me wrong :)

Not even necessarily Sengun specific tbh. And know we didn't agree on him in the draft. And not saying he hasn't been good either, he has. And maybe in a few years I'm dead wrong, won't be the first time :D.

Just feels like the reaction is even stronger now from some because he had two good games.

In summer league.

And FWIW, I'm expecting him to put up big numbers this year because if I had to guess Houston's team is going to be pretty fast paced/defensively deficient and Green will score a boatload too. Think he wins ROY in part because of it.

Also, if anyone is bored, go back and check summer league stats for old drafts, there are some throwback names in there lol. Just mostly saying that it's been 2 SL games.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#68 » by thedoppelganger » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:05 pm

Read on Twitter

Not surprised, really isn't a point in having a top 10 pick play through even an ankle sprain in summer league games that don't matter. Bummer we may not see him again until preseason
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#69 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:06 pm

Would love to watch him play but it's better to sit him. Don't think he will play so soon but we will see.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,203

Post#70 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:13 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:Would love to watch him play but it's better to sit him. Don't think he will play so soon but we will see.

That’s ok. We have poku.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#71 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:14 pm

bondom34 wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:

Not even necessarily Sengun specific tbh. And know we didn't agree on him in the draft. And not saying he hasn't been good either, he has. And maybe in a few years I'm dead wrong, won't be the first time :D.

Just feels like the reaction is even stronger now from some because he had two good games.

In summer league.

And FWIW, I'm expecting him to put up big numbers this year because if I had to guess Houston's team is going to be pretty fast paced/defensively deficient and Green will score a boatload too. Think he wins ROY in part because of it.

Also, if anyone is bored, go back and check summer league stats for old drafts, there are some throwback names in there lol. Just mostly saying that it's been 2 SL games.

Agree that some overreact about two games but that's not really my case since I badly wanted Sengun for a while and I posted it many times here. I wanted Presti to move up with 16 and 18 to pick him and somehow he was available at 16 and Presti trades him to the **** Houston Rockets (still pissed about the 48/52 flip we lost :lol: )

Guess I should stop looking at future NBA players because we end up being very frustrated comes draft night in most cases :-?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by bondom34 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:24 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:

In summer league.

Agree that some overreact about two games but that's not really my case since I badly wanted Sengun for a while and I posted it many times here. I wanted Presti to move up with 16 and 18 to pick him and somehow he was available at 16 and Presti trades him to the **** Houston Rockets (still pissed about the 48/52 flip we lost :lol: )

Guess I should stop looking at future NBA players because we end up being very frustrated comes draft night in most cases :-?

Oh yeah, no issues there and I understand some people really wanted him to. Just seems like the last few days we've been hearing more of how terrible the GM he is because of a few Summer League games. We don't really know for a few years, and by then who knows maybe those picks end up being something good? Maybe not but I'm at least going to wait it out. :D
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:37 pm

bondom34 wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Not even necessarily Sengun specific tbh. And know we didn't agree on him in the draft. And not saying he hasn't been good either, he has. And maybe in a few years I'm dead wrong, won't be the first time :D.

In summer league.

Oh yeah, no issues there and I understand some people really wanted him to. Just seems like the last few days we've been hearing more of how terrible the GM he is because of a few Summer League games. We don't really know for a few years, and by then who knows maybe those picks end up being something good? Maybe not but I'm at least going to wait it out. :D

Agreed. I’m not saying Presti shouldn’t be questioned or can never be replaced, but for now he’s earned the chance to have time to see the rebuild through until the end. Maybe that’s the end of the rebuild or his tenure as GM if he fails. If I had to guess, ownership is going to give him a very long leash.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#74 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:38 pm

bondom34 wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Not even necessarily Sengun specific tbh. And know we didn't agree on him in the draft. And not saying he hasn't been good either, he has. And maybe in a few years I'm dead wrong, won't be the first time :D.

In summer league.

I think it's fair to question some decisions. Presti is the best GM to me when it comes to get value in trades. He killed the NBA last season. I love Steven Adams but that trade was pure madness in terms of value (sure the Westbrook/CP3 as well but Fertitta was crazy). His recents trades were very good as well (Kemba, Favors). I think some fans were expecting more trades but Presti is smart to accept only very good offers. I just question his draft selections lately and I hope i'm wrong and Mann or Poku gonna be really good players.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:48 pm

Tre Mann looks really small.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#76 » by Old Man Game » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:26 am

Cot dam Mann has got some ball skills. This kid puts on 15 lbs watch out.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:28 am

Old Man Game wrote:Cot dam Mann has got some ball skills. This kid puts on 15 lbs watch out.

Ya I see some potential but until those 15lbs show up, it could be pretty rough for him.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#78 » by Old Man Game » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:30 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:Cot dam Mann has got some ball skills. This kid puts on 15 lbs watch out.

Ya I see some potential but until those 15lbs show up, it could be pretty rough for him.

I'm just focused on the skill level. I feel like he has what is the hardest thing to teach. Weight will come along.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#79 » by Old Man Game » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:57 am

Wiggins seems like the sort with an outside chance of making a roster someday. He also seems like the type that'll try to score 25 in the d league and go nowhere though so maybe not.
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#80 » by thedoppelganger » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:01 am

Mann's able to get to the rim at will, decision making leaves a bit to be desired. He ended up w 7 assists, but constantly tried going up against 2 after drawing in the help defender instead of hitting the open man. Probably doesn't help that there's *shockingly* a lack of any shooting on the roster. Still surprised Presti took him at 18, such a departure from what we've looked at historically in the first round.

JRE's our new Collison.

Rough night for Maledon, having a better sophomore year summer league than Cole Anthony at least.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder