Basketball back - 2021 Preseason [Next:Friday 7 PM CT @ Bucks]

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Re: SUMMER LEAGUE THREAD 

Post#21 » by JJP » Mon Aug 9, 2021 10:53 pm

Terry was fine... summer league stuff.

It was Hinton who was is most concerning. He was 0-7 in 29 minutes. While he can play pretty good defense, he's going to have to hit something.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#22 » by LAL1947 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 10:54 pm

Mr B wrote:
SOUNDCHASER wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I don't like talking harshly about young hopefuls...
but I also don't want to be lumped into any group that has "fallen in love with Onu's potential".

AFAIC, whoever is responsible for identifying the centers that have been picked up should be sent to Siberia.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#23 » by SOUNDCHASER » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:59 am

kid lacks confidence to hang with the better players and he is going to need a long time to develop but he has the skills to do well if he is groomed properly and that is all we can ask for.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#24 » by arkuo » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:07 am

Somehow I hope the Mavs just sign Onu and Omoruyi to the league minimum and send away Powell and WCS for peanuts. That clears like 15M in cap space alone.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#25 » by LAL1947 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:28 pm

arkuo wrote:Somehow I hope the Mavs just sign Onu and Omoruyi to the league minimum and send away Powell and WCS for peanuts. That clears like 15M in cap space alone.

That will leave a year-older Boban playing 20+ minutes in playoff games. Sure you want that? :P
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by SOUNDCHASER » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:42 pm

We have more size than we need best thing to do is keep what we like after we find out who is who you have to give it a chance to see what happens so the cream of the crop will rise to the top.

Moses might be a fit and give us something to get excited about. WCS is decet but his rebouding is crap. Boban is still worth playing in certain situataions for limited minutes and he mostly comes through well enough to be happy wth his production so definitely he is worth having on the team.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#27 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:51 pm

I agree with essentially everyone whose posted in the last 10 posts. Terry was fine, but it's summer league - and that's a terrible tool for evaluating anything other than who you would like to invite to your G-league team.

On the down side for Terry: main point: Maxey gave him a lot of problems when Dallas was on D; secondary point: the 76ers guards gave him some problems when he was handling the ball. I'm not convinced the latter is serious (need more evidence), the former was somewhat concerning.

On an off topic note: what did you all think of Petrusev?
Spoiler:
(truth in questioning: I think he'll be one of the steals of this draft. :D)
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#28 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:05 pm

SOUNDCHASER wrote:We have more size than we need best thing to do is keep what we like after we find out who is who you have to give it a chance to see what happens so the cream of the crop will rise to the top.

Moses might be a fit and give us something to get excited about. WCS is decet but his rebouding is crap. Boban is still worth playing in certain situataions for limited minutes and he mostly comes through well enough to be happy wth his production so definitely he is worth having on the team.

Moses makes one curious. He had a really strong upward trajectory in the second two-thirds of last season. Obviously he didn't get much NBA playing time before that - and I don't really know what he did in the 2019-2020 G-league. Otoh, things were so confused by Covid that I find it extremely hard even to make ill-founded speculation .. so .. :shrug:

However, the story seems as though he didn't do much for the first year and a bit in the league, then went to the G-league bubble and was the MVP - scored points, protected rims, then came back to the league, started every game because OKC sat Al Horford in a tanking/youth development endeavour, and put up really good numbers on a team that lost almost every game comfortably.

All of that is hard to parse. Is he really a 4o/12d-REB/36 guy on, say, this year's Mavs?

People say his D is bad and he still has plays where he loses focus/switches off. I'm not sure. His footwork seems pretty good on both O and D and he doesn't seem that slow laterally to me (obv his length is fine). Will he ever be able to shoot? If so, from where?

Maybe he gets traded out straight way; maybe he never gets on the floor; maybe he's Jarrett Allen/Mitch Robinson; maybe he's something more. It just seems like a really good pick up of a random card that might or might not help your hand. ... I mean, he has (imo) much higher upside than Grimes who NYK picked with the 2021 pick they received from the Mavs in the KP/THJ deal.
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#29 » by JJP » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:39 am

SOUNDCHASER wrote:Moses might be a fit and give us something to get excited about.

Whoa! You said this (below) in the Moses Brown/JRich thread.

Brown will be the starter and performing well on rebounding day one of the new season.

Followed by...

SOUNDCHASER wrote:Boy are we going to have some fun telling people I told you so once Brown is doing the job.

You were bravely ready to take on all comers with that statement. I'm not letting you backpedal that easy. You're going to need to own you're first statement or put it to bed as fan hyperbole.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#30 » by SOUNDCHASER » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:27 am

Anything possible but holding down praise is wise to do till someone has shown us reason to shower it on them and yes I can see him earning that right to start at center given what we have there to begin with. KP will likely play PF in order to avoid getting hurt. If KP plays at center then still we will likely see Brown in some capacity at C when Kp is held out of games for whatever reason.

We do not really know what to expect with Kidd as the coach. RC would pull out some strange line ups to give a new guy a chance to prove himself and let the fans see what we have. Nobody can say for sure what Kidd will do but with Nico and he trying to place a stamp of approval on the acquisitions I would expect them to all get major minutes at the start of the season.

Not interested in back pedaling I am definitely going to look forward to praising Moses for his chosen one status after all his name is Moses.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#31 » by SOUNDCHASER » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:31 am

https://www.nba.com/game/uta-vs-dal-1522100028

The second summer league game is tonight at 8:00 cst and I expect to see a better outing from these guys and not need to wear a brown paper sack over my head.

The ongoing development of Terry may be interesting if he can develop some defense to go along with his game but from what I hear no defense is played in summer league so maybe that wont be as big a priority.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#32 » by Mr B » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:40 am

SOUNDCHASER wrote:https://www.nba.com/game/uta-vs-dal-1522100028

The second summer league game is tonight at 8:00 cst and I expect to see a better outing from these guys and not need to wear a brown paper sack over my head.

The ongoing development of Terry may be interesting if he can develop some defense to go along with his game but from what I hear no defense is played in summer league so maybe that wont be as big a priority.

Even with no defense if he can be a bit of a play maker and if he can shoot lights out he can be at least as good as Seth Curry (that’s Terry’s ceiling). Curry is a horrible defender yet with his offense he’ll have a place in the NBA for a lot of yes. No reason that Terry can’t do the same if he works at his game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#33 » by JJP » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:22 am

SOUNDCHASER wrote:https://www.nba.com/game/uta-vs-dal-1522100028

Terry is good enough to play, but he really needs a quicker first step like Barea. He needs something besides just a nice shooting touch.

Hinton needs something too, but it almost the complete opposite. He needs to be able to score.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#34 » by SOUNDCHASER » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:04 am

Onu moves well enough out there from what I’m seeing so far and he held his own against the bigger Azabuike
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#35 » by SOUNDCHASER » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:11 am

overtime and it is a good game
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#36 » by SOUNDCHASER » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:18 am

double overtime
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#37 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:04 am

game on Saturday
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#38 » by Mr B » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:20 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Speadge
Junior
And1: 300

Post#39 » by Speadge » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:42 am

Nice video about someone's living his dreams...
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Post#40 » by HMFFL » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:57 pm

Brad Townsend: . @Jose Juan Barea is sitting with Nico Harrison and Michael Finley as Mavs prepare to face Denver. I, kinda-sorta-jokingly asked if this was a job interview. No answer, just smiles.

– via Twitter townbrad

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Dallas Mavericks