Welcome to OKC Josh Giddey!

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,906

Re: Welcome to OKC Josh Giddey! 

Post#21 » by Dn4sty » Sun Aug 1, 2021 3:27 am

Old Man Game wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:I feel like every guy we draft is always excited to be here. It's clearly a necessity for getting on presti's draft board
slick_watts wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:I feel like every guy we draft is always excited to be here. It's clearly a necessity for getting on presti's draft board

not sure if you're joking but it does seem like he might be selecting for traits which could insulate these players from temptations. giddey, maledon, dort, pokesevski... none of them are going to leave okc to play for their home team. even sga to some extent, he's not from the u.s. terrance ferguson had ties to oklahoma, so does josh giddey. darius bazley didn't attend college so no real player relationships developed for him prior to him joining okc.

maybe i'm wrong and this is nothing but even qualitatively, it appears he's selecting for a certain personality as well.
It's 100% this. My theory is he has a certain amount of unconscious contempt for this community. He goes out of his way to get white kids that have faces he thinks the fanbase will be more apt to warm up to (Steven, Domas, Poku, Giddey, Mitch, Cole) because he thinks we're a bunch of racist hicks.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app

Please don’t take this board down this path with stuff like this.
QPR
Veteran
And1: 3,778

Post#22 » by QPR » Sun Aug 1, 2021 4:22 am

DaBolden76 wrote:Giddey was one of the best players in the NBL who created easy buckets in the paint. OKC just need to find a similar player to Isaac Humphries who was a mobile C for the 36ers.

OKC should be seriously looking at Jock Landale.
1bigfan13
Pro Prospect
And1: 817

Post#23 » by 1bigfan13 » Sun Aug 1, 2021 1:25 pm

I always view it as something players have to say in those situations.

Sacramento's probably the worst run franchise in the sport yet every year draftees have to prentend that they're excited to play for that crap organization.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,932

Post#24 » by zimpy27 » Mon Aug 2, 2021 7:25 am

Probably worth noting that he's the son of a competitive basketball player in Australia and has been around basketball his whole life with good players coaching him along the way.

I mention this because I think it's unlikely for him to be overwhelmed or unable to make an impact because of that backing, he will stay grounded.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,530

Post#25 » by Devilanche » Mon Aug 2, 2021 11:28 am

Anyone else think he will be a wing eventually ? Once he gain more strength . Heck if he’s 18 and still gaining height he might even be a PF.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#26 » by spearsy23 » Mon Aug 2, 2021 1:48 pm

I think being a full time wing would mean he didn't pan out as what we were hoping for with the 6th pick.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,606

Post#27 » by Clav » Tue Aug 3, 2021 7:51 pm

He's a versatile player and is already slotted to be a wing facilitator/playmaker. I think he'll have issues just like Poku did with the speed and strength of the league at first. However with a lot of opportunities to play multiple positions and with the team this summer, there' a lot to be excited about. His shot needs some work, but that is true for many young players.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
vtime
Rookie
And1: 245

Post#28 » by vtime » Sat Aug 7, 2021 12:45 pm

4 days no activity, just 8 days after the kid was drafted. You guys really don’t like this pick. :lol: :lol: :lol:
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#29 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:17 pm

vtime wrote:4 days no activity, just 8 days after the kid was drafted. You guys really don’t like this pick. :lol: :lol: :lol:

He’s talked about in other threads. I’m sure they’ll be plenty overreactions on Sunday, including myself. Personally I don’t watch much college or euro basketball and highlight videos can make anyone look good.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#30 » by basketballRob » Sun Aug 8, 2021 7:41 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
vtime wrote:4 days no activity, just 8 days after the kid was drafted. You guys really don’t like this pick.

He’s talked about in other threads. I’m sure they’ll be plenty overreactions on Sunday, including myself. Personally I don’t watch much college or euro basketball and highlight videos can make anyone look good.
Is Giddey playing today?

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#31 » by namlede » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:59 pm

full game of his vs Nigeria.
https://youtu.be/Mzysqbv5em4

you can tell by this game that he is not used to the athletic defenders guarding him, but he still looked confident and was poised. controlled the offense when he was in there, made quick safe passes as well as some tougher ones.

needs to work on his handle, shot and body. but I liked what I saw for an 18 year old going up against athletic guys much older.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,606

Post#32 » by Clav » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:11 pm

vtime wrote:4 days no activity, just 8 days after the kid was drafted. You guys really don’t like this pick. :lol: :lol: :lol:

OKC board is admittedly not very active, but from what I've read around, OKC fans are lukewarm on him. I'm pretty excited to see his game expand and it's a shame he twisted up his ankle in game 1 of SL but after he's back at it I'm sure we'll see some nice play, and some daft TOs :lol:.

You're just baiting us to say something bad about a kid getting his 1st shot in the Association!
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 535

Post#33 » by kdthunderup » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:54 pm

namlede wrote:full game of his vs Nigeria.
https://youtu.be/Mzysqbv5em4

you can tell by this game that he is not used to the athletic defenders guarding him, but he still looked confident and was poised. controlled the offense when he was in there, made quick safe passes as well as some tougher ones.

needs to work on his handle, shot and body. but I liked what I saw for an 18 year old going up against athletic guys much older.

Yeah his handle and body are his two main weaknesses at the moment but these are things that should naturally improve and correct itself with time.

You can see how good he will be once he tightens his handle, gets a bit stronger and improves his shot a bit.
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#34 » by namlede » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:10 am

been watching some more games of Josh from 2019 and 2020. the kid is a gamer...I'll post 4 full games of his from various tournaments the past 2 years. his team made it to the finals in each tourney, and won 3 of them. 2 of which came down to the end and he made clutch plays, even the game they lost he made big buckets.

2019 u18 Australian championship
https://youtu.be/kGNzq09KpkE

2019 National junior classic finals
https://youtu.be/j93e2a-hjTI

2020 u18 junior le'hospitalet finals
https://youtu.be/CPCs7vYJZdQ

2020 u20 Australian Championship
https://youtu.be/44I7OR_C310
hit the game winner

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,932

Post#35 » by zimpy27 » Tue Oct 5, 2021 8:17 pm

Could be a sneaky ROY pick. Is going to get plenty of burn and probably has a few triple doubles this season.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,470

Post#36 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:43 am

Backcourt of the future or simply for the time being?

Mr Thunder Nick
Junior
And1: 88

Post#37 » by Mr Thunder Nick » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:24 pm

I also think that it is only a question of time, when Josh Giddey will realize his first triple-double.
Great great pick by Sam.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder