And1: 2,892

Re: Warriors 2021 Roster/Lineup 

Post#141 » by Samurai » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:02 am

weekend_warrior wrote:Curry, Poole
Klay, Moody, Lee
Wiggins, OPJ, Iguodala
Green, JTA, Kuminga
Looney, Wiseman, Bjelica

That's 14 players. Not sure about the guaranteed money of Lee but I see him as relatively safe on the roster.

That means it's between Mulder, GP2 and Jessup for the last roster spot?! Until yesterday I was almost expecting them to just bring back Mulder, but GP2 now with a nice game and also Jessup starts to look better. Everything open again it seems?!

If the Dubs decide to keep the 15th spot vacant to provide more flexibility for an in-season move, then the lineup would seem to be set already (assuming they decide on Lee for the 14th spot).
weekend_warrior
Pro Prospect
And1: 352

Post#142 » by weekend_warrior » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:08 am

Samurai wrote:
Klay, Moody, Lee
Wiggins, OPJ, Iguodala
Green, JTA, Kuminga
Looney, Wiseman, Bjelica

That's 14 players. Not sure about the guaranteed money of Lee but I see him as relatively safe on the roster.

That means it's between Mulder, GP2 and Jessup for the last roster spot?! Until yesterday I was almost expecting them to just bring back Mulder, but GP2 now with a nice game and also Jessup starts to look better. Everything open again it seems?!

If the Dubs decide to keep the 15th spot vacant to provide more flexibility for an in-season move, then the lineup would seem to be set already (assuming they decide on Lee for the 14th spot).

That's true but I kind of expect them to go with 15 this year. With Klay being still out to start the season, a bunch of inexperienced rookies and some old or injury-prone players (Iguodala, OPJ, Looney) on the roster, every body can make a difference.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#143 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:49 pm

GP2 push back is good news. Keeps the Warriors options open.

Is Nix signed to any team?

I just hope the Warriors are looking to run through a catalog of PGs to take a look at for the 2-way.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#144 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:53 pm

weekend_warrior wrote:
Samurai wrote:
Klay, Moody, Lee
Wiggins, OPJ, Iguodala
Green, JTA, Kuminga
Looney, Wiseman, Bjelica

That's true but I kind of expect them to go with 15 this year. With Klay being still out to start the season, a bunch of inexperienced rookies and some old or injury-prone players (Iguodala, OPJ, Looney) on the roster, every body can make a difference.

I think they are going to have no more than 14 guaranteed salaries to start the season. They want to keep that spot open for buyouts/needs when it matters later.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,247

Post#145 » by xdrta+ » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:40 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
weekend_warrior wrote:
Samurai wrote:If the Dubs decide to keep the 15th spot vacant to provide more flexibility for an in-season move, then the lineup would seem to be set already (assuming they decide on Lee for the 14th spot).

I think they are going to have no more than 14 guaranteed salaries to start the season. They want to keep that spot open for buyouts/needs when it matters later.

Lee, Mulder, and probably GP2 are all non-guaranteed. Since they're missing Klay they can keep one of them in the 15th spot to start the season, and waive them before 1/10/22 to open the spot. That would be one way to go, anyway.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#146 » by HiRez » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:44 pm

You'd think Lee would have the edge, if only because of the Steph connection?
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#147 » by xdrta+ » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:51 pm

HiRez wrote:You'd think Lee would have the edge, if only because of the Steph connection?

I'm probably the only one who thinks the Steph connection doesn't mean much, if anything. That might have gotten Lee a shot in the beginning, but Kerr and the rest are desperately focused on winning--if the spot goes to anyone it will be whoever they think gives them the best chance of that. Could be Lee, but I just don't think it will be because of Steph.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#148 » by HiRez » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:20 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
HiRez wrote:You'd think Lee would have the edge, if only because of the Steph connection?

I'm probably the only one who thinks the Steph connection doesn't mean much, if anything. That might have gotten Lee a shot in the beginning, but Kerr and the rest are desperately focused on winning--if the spot goes to anyone it will be whoever they think gives them the best chance of that. Could be Lee, but I just don't think it will be because of Steph.

I hear you but we're talking about fringe players here who probably don't make much of a difference in the end. So if that's the case and they're all roughly the same value, I take the one that isn't going to possibly upset my star player. Now sure, Steph isn't a guy who is likely to get real offended (and he just signed a giant contract anyway), but to me Lee, Mulder, or GP2 aren't going to be (and shouldn't be) difference-makers in any significant way.

But I mean I can make a basketball case for Lee too. Lee and Mulder are similar shooting-wise, both better than GP2 from range. With Klay out for a while that's something they probably want. Between Lee and Mulder, Lee is the better rebounder, passer, and freethrow shooter, and with better size.

However, Payton is clearly the best of the 3 defensively, and is the most athletic too. So I guess it depends what they're looking for most. For me it would be between Lee and GP2, probably still would go Lee for the better size and yeah, the Steph factor FWIW. But I can see the case for GP2. Mulder's the odd man out for me.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#149 » by Samurai » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:59 pm

I'm sure the Steph connection doesn't hurt but I can't imagine the braintrust would rely on that to make roster decisions. I think the fact that Lee already knows the system, understands Kerr's strategy, and knows were to be (and where not to be) in different situations would give him the leg up. Plus the fact that he shot 40% from deep and 45% on corner 3's last season probably makes him the best replacement for the Klay role until Klay returns.
SeanieWard
Senior
And1: 493

Post#150 » by SeanieWard » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:12 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:I think this year they are likely to not bring the 2-way players up much.

Steph / Poole
Klay / Moody / Lee
Wiggins / Porter / Iguodala
Dray / JTA / Kuminga
Wiseman / Looney / Bjelica

I think that's the 14 for game 1 barring injury.

Bjelica has played more SF in the league than C. I think he'll backup Draymond

Warriors have a lot of wing depth with Klay, Iggy, Otto, Poole, Kuminga, Moody, Lee, Mulder

I'm thinking Lee and Mulder will become expendable especially if they want a more natural PG on the bench instead of having Poole being the only backup option

Payton II turning heads in summer league so far as well and I'd like to see him make the team

Still some decisions to make
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#151 » by FNQ » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:25 pm

SeanieWard wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:I think this year they are likely to not bring the 2-way players up much.

Steph / Poole
Klay / Moody / Lee
Dray / JTA / Kuminga

Warriors have a lot of wing depth with Klay, Iggy, Otto, Poole, Kuminga, Moody, Lee, Mulder

I'm thinking Lee and Mulder will become expendable especially if they want a more natural PG on the bench instead of having Poole being the only backup option

Payton II turning heads in summer league so far as well and I'd like to see him make the team

Our starting C is 6'9 220, so Bjelica's gonna play C

OPJ and Kuminga are forwards (SF/PF), not wings (SG/SF), and Mulder is barely hanging on to a roster spot. Lee is a fringe rotation guy. Not much to worry about there

GP2 isn't a PG and isn't much of a scorer. I doubt we keep him, but one good SL game shouldnt be changing any minds
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#152 » by xdrta+ » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:27 pm

Mulder will be in camp, but I don't think he's even in the running for a spot. For the reasons mentioned above by HiRez, Lee has the edge going in. GP2's only hope, IMO, is that with Klay out, they really don't have much in the way of perimeter defense. GP2 can fill that hole, but he'll have to show he can hold his own in all the other aspects to beat out Lee. He has a shot but he's definitely the underdog.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#153 » by GQ Hot Dog » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:35 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
weekend_warrior wrote:

Lee, Mulder, and probably GP2 are all non-guaranteed. Since they're missing Klay they can keep one of them in the 15th spot to start the season, and waive them before 1/10/22 to open the spot. That would be one way to go, anyway.

You say 15th roster spot but one of them, almost assuredly Lee, is taking the 14th roster spot while GP2 is currently auditioning to take Mulder's spot which would be the 15th roster spot. The fact that Mulder made an appearance last night alongside other rostered players makes me think GP2 is on the outside looking in.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,150

Post#154 » by TB » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:45 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

You say 15th roster spot but one of them, almost assuredly Lee, is taking the 14th roster spot while GP2 is currently auditioning to take Mulder's spot which would be the 15th roster spot. The fact that Mulder made an appearance last night alongside other rostered players makes me think GP2 is on the outside looking in.

I think GQ is exactly right. And if GP2 really does earn the 15th spot, my guess would be we try to keep Mulder on the 2nd 2way since he's still eligible.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#155 » by Samurai » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:04 pm

SeanieWard wrote:

Steph / Poole
Klay / Moody / Lee
Dray / JTA / Kuminga

Belly is 33, so games that he played earlier in his career aren't as relevant as what he can do now. Last year he played more games for the Heat as a C. Kerr himself said he views him as "the 3-point shooting version of Mo (Speights). We haven't had a 3-point shooting pick-and-pop big. You're looking at a spaced floor when you consider Klay's return and Steph's play last year. The ability to play Bjelica with Draymond which basically turns Draymond into the 5 and the pick-and-roll guy with Bjelica spaced." So while it is possible he could backup Dray at times, it doesn't sound like that is how Kerr is envisioning it thus far. I view JTA, due to his high energy and defense, as being the primary Dray backup.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#156 » by xdrta+ » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:06 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:You say 15th roster spot but one of them, almost assuredly Lee, is taking the 14th roster spot while GP2 is currently auditioning to take Mulder's spot which would be the 15th roster spot. The fact that Mulder made an appearance last night alongside other rostered players makes me think GP2 is on the outside looking in.

You're right--I can't count. :-?
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#157 » by GQ Hot Dog » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:14 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:You say 15th roster spot but one of them, almost assuredly Lee, is taking the 14th roster spot while GP2 is currently auditioning to take Mulder's spot which would be the 15th roster spot. The fact that Mulder made an appearance last night alongside other rostered players makes me think GP2 is on the outside looking in.

Here's a question for you: Can we keep Mulder in the 15th roster spot until January, then cut him and if nobody picks him up, sign him to a 2-way while preserving his full allotment of days allowed on a 2-way? It would mean he wouldn't be on the playoff roster of course.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,374

Post#158 » by GSWFan1994 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:40 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:GP2 push back is good news. Keeps the Warriors options open.

Is Nix signed to any team?

I just hope the Warriors are looking to run through a catalog of PGs to take a look at for the 2-way.

Nix is playing the Summer League for Philadelphia. I think he gets a training camp invite somewhere.

But no, not signed as far as I know.

Very underwhelming at the G-League: 38% FG, 18% 3pt.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#159 » by xdrta+ » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:45 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Here's a question for you: Can we keep Mulder in the 15th roster spot until January, then cut him and if nobody picks him up, sign him to a 2-way while preserving his full allotment of days allowed on a 2-way? It would mean he wouldn't be on the playoff roster of course.

I don't see why not. Before last year you couldn't sign a two-way player after January 15, but that's one of the changes they carried forward from the pandemic rules, now they can be signed all season long. The limit is 50 games, that was carried forward also. You're right, though, they didn't carry forward the playoff rule, last season two-ways could play in the playoffs.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#160 » by clyde21 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:06 pm

SeanieWard wrote:

Steph / Poole
Klay / Moody / Lee
Dray / JTA / Kuminga

wrong

89% of his poss in the league have been at the 4

8% at center

only 3% at SF

per bball ref

Return to Golden State Warriors