ImageImageImage

Welcome to Virtual Boston, Juhann Begarin!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Re: Welcome to Virtual Boston, Juhann Begarin! 

Post#101 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:38 pm

I think Yabu got into bad habits playing in China. It was too easy over there.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,779

Post#102 » by Scoonie » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:40 am

Begarin is going to be a real junkyard dog in the NBA. Taller, longer, more athletic Marcus Smart-like player. Fantastic defensive potential and should be a good slasher on the offensive end.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Post#103 » by Patsfan1081 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:08 am

thebirdman wrote:I do not think he will be an NBA player. I think Celtics have one of the worst international scouting departments...

Why I do not think Begarin has NBA talent? There are two things I believe you need to look at when assessing euro prospects...

Mistake some scouts/GMs are (still) doing is looking at prospects` athleticism etc. to determine whether he can make it in the NBA. Like Begarin...athletic, great frame but the problem is in the NBA he is just one of the guys...

Euro prospects that make it in the NBA are the ones that have skills which are rare or under developed in the NBA. That is why I am sure Sengun will make an impact. Great footwork and terrific post scoring separate him... who cares if he is unathletic...

Secondly, if you dominate (or at least play a lot) at young age in Europe in top competition that is an indicator that the prospect will be able to play in the NBA. Sengung who is the same age as Bagarin was MVP of Turkish league putting up 19 and 9. Garuba played 83 games for Real Madrid in ACB and Eurolegaue! Bagarin played in French B league...that is like comparing G-league to the NBA.

I just do not see a skill from Bagarin that would make him succeed at the NBA level. Maybe if he can defend like Tony Allen or start shooting threes at 40% but there is no indication that that will happen... He is a 6`5 shooting guard with great frame and good athleticism which does nothing in this league...

Isn’t Ainge jr head of international scouting? Wouldn’t be surprising then, Stevens should have cleaned house in the scouting department also. But yeah, size or athleticism(or both) is what I would like to see when they take flyers on guys overseas. I really like Sengun’s game, he’s guaranteed to be good since he was drafted with Boston’s pick.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,067

Post#104 » by Ed Pinkney » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:36 am

8 assists in todays game I like.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,153

Post#105 » by chakdaddy » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:03 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Boston's Euro scouting has been fine since they hired Benas Matkevicius, the guy who found Daniel Theis. As for Yabusele, that was a purely financial decision. He was willing to go overseas for a year to save the club money. The other potential draftees were not.

Yabusele was ultimately no better than passing. Then again, neither was Skal Labissiere who I'd have taken. Either way if KD came renouncing the rights was as good as stashing Yabu
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#106 » by jfs1000d » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:27 pm

chakdaddy wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:Boston's Euro scouting has been fine since they hired Benas Matkevicius, the guy who found Daniel Theis. As for Yabusele, that was a purely financial decision. He was willing to go overseas for a year to save the club money. The other potential draftees were not.

Yabusele was ultimately no better than passing. Then again, neither was Skal Labissiere who I'd have taken. Either way if KD came renouncing the rights was as good as stashing Yabu

I liked Yabs as a prospect. He looked good in Olympics. Just never really could make a shot here.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#107 » by ParticleMan » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:47 pm

Ed Pinkney wrote:8 assists in todays game I like.

yeah i saw a number of "extra pass" assists from juhann. shows that he understands the game and plays team ball. very nice to see.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,849

Post#108 » by 24istheLAW » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:18 pm

Pleasantly surprised by Begarin's game. From the highlights, the fact that he was a 45th pick, and where he was playing, I figured he's just a run-and-dunk guy.

He's got to figure out shooting and team defense. But he's really not that raw. The defensive attributes have showed up. He knows where to go without the ball, he can pass a bit. And he's playing with confidence.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,007

Post#109 » by Hal14 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:29 pm

24istheLAW wrote:Pleasantly surprised by Begarin's game. From the highlights, the fact that he was a 45th pick, and where he was playing, I figured he's just a run-and-dunk guy.

He's got to figure out shooting and team defense. But he's really not that raw. The defensive attributes have showed up. He knows where to go without the ball, he can pass a bit. And he's playing with confidence.

Agreed. He's got a good skill set as a foundation to build off.

I think he's a year away. Put him in g-league or back in France for a year - this should be a learning/development year. 2022-2023 season he'll be ready to contribute off the bench. By 2023-2024, watch out, this dude could eventually be a monster.

The 3 things that stand out the most that you have to like:

1) Hustle, effort, tenacity. The dude plays hard. You can tell he gives a sh^t. And that's something our team last year was really missing. often times it seemed like half (or more) of the dudes on our team just did not give a sh^t.

2) Obviously the physical tools. As we can all tell, he's got a good build for a kid who just turned 19. shows flashes of being really quick/explosive. 7'0" wingspan. On his dunk last night showed that he can get pretty high up there and finish above the rim with ease.

3) All around skill set. Good (not great) outside shooter, decent handle, really good passer, solid D, switchable defender, potential is there as a 3-level scorer
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#110 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:05 pm

I'll ask again: does anyone know his contract status in France? Is he currently a free agent? If not, is there a buyout and how much is it?

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#111 » by Justin33 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:49 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#112 » by jfs1000d » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:59 pm

This guy has raw potential. Nba athleticism and size, good feel, nice shot. Keep him in his league one more year then either two-way or sign him out right .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,790

Post#113 » by 31to6 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:02 pm

Justin33 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I’m impressed with this kid — NBA body, solid all-around game (looks like he can become a wing Jae Crowder-like player?), seems really focused and serious, and good initiative to get over here and make a positive impression on everyone this summer.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,141

Post#114 » by playa-hater » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:05 pm

31to6 wrote:
Justin33 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I’m impressed with this kid — NBA body, solid all-around game (looks like he can become a wing Jae Crowder-like player?), seems really focused and serious, and good initiative to get over here and make a positive impression on everyone this summer.

I think this is a good comp. Though I see JB's ceiling being higher, more creative and athletic. As usually, shooting shooting shooting matters a ton.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,790

Post#115 » by 31to6 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:06 pm

jfs1000d wrote:This guy has raw potential. Nba athleticism and size, good feel, nice shot. Keep him in his league one more year then either two-way or sign him out right .
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with keeping him (and Yam) deep in the development pipeline — like, overseas if possible.

This year we need to focus on getting something from Nesmith, Pritchard, and Romeo. Two of those three are looking good. They’ll be fighting to be in the top-ten rotation rather than falling to third-stringers.

Once we know where their careers are heading, Juhann and Yam will be like bonus rookies (especially if we trade some future picks!) and we can get them on rookie contracts starting in their young 20s rather than late teens.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,120

Post#116 » by Half-Full » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:18 pm

Hal14 wrote:
24istheLAW wrote:Pleasantly surprised by Begarin's game. From the highlights, the fact that he was a 45th pick, and where he was playing, I figured he's just a run-and-dunk guy.

Agreed. He's got a good skill set as a foundation to build off.

I think he's a year away. Put him in g-league or back in France for a year - this should be a learning/development year. 2022-2023 season he'll be ready to contribute off the bench. By 2023-2024, watch out, this dude could eventually be a monster.

The 3 things that stand out the most that you have to like:

1) Hustle, effort, tenacity. The dude plays hard. You can tell he gives a sh^t. And that's something our team also year was really missing. often times it seemed like half (or more) of the dudes on our team just did not give a sh^t.

2) Obviously the physical tools. As we can all tell, he's got a good build for a kid who just turned 19. shows flashes of being really quick/explosive. 7'0" wingspan. On his dunk last night showed that he can get pretty high up there and finish above the rim with ease.

3) All around skill set. Good (not great) outside shooter, decent handle, really good passer, solid D, switchable defender, potential is there as a 3-level scorer

Sometimes he's off on his defensive positioning, but his quickness and reach compensate for that (sometimes). Clearly, he has the tools, and a little more experience will make a big difference.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#117 » by BostonCouchGM » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:52 am

I come away from these SL games so impressed by his natural ability and physical prowess. He's clearly a half-step slow due to the giant leap from his league to this. But at 19 y/o he really holds his own. I think he's toasted right now with dead legs and it affected his shot. I don't care where he goes to play this next season as long as conditioning and his shot are the emphasis. I think he could possibly be ready to contribute very quickly so if he goes to the G-League he could make an appearance later in the season should we make a consolidating trade opening up a roster spot and available minutes. Right now, he's not ready and thankfully he isn't needed. I hope he goes on the sauce like Tatum and comes back looking like Jaylen. If he has any work ethic whatsoever he's going to be a keeper.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#118 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:17 am

He missed 4 free throws at the end. For me that's usually unforgiveable, but he was gassed. He has played big minutes in every game, and he must have been pushing 40 tonight. Love his defense, and as he himself said, he needs to work on his shot. The question is whether or not he should do the work in the d league or in Europe. The kid is definitely a keeper.

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,007

Post#119 » by Hal14 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:26 am

Curmudgeon wrote:He missed 4 free throws at the end. For me that's usually unforgiveable, but he was gassed. He has played big minutes in every game, and he must have been pushing 40 tonight. Love his defense, and as he himself said, he needs to work on his shot. The question is whether or not he should do the work in the d league or in Europe. The kid is definitely a keeper.

Yeah I think him missing the FTs tonight is a) he's tired from playing lots of minutes in summer league, especially in the past 2 games.

b) even before summer league, like this past season in france, FT shooting was 1 of his weaknesses. I think regardless of whether he goes back to france or we give him a 2-way contract, his goal for next season needs to be:

-work on FT shooting and also keep working on 3 point shot
-get in better shape, maybe slim down a little bit
-tighten up the handle

that's it. he does those things during 2021-2022, then he'll be ready to be a bench contributor in 2022-2023.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
aporel18
Senior
And1: 282

Post#120 » by aporel18 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:47 am

About Begarin, he already has shown he has a future in the NBA, and should go back to Paris Basketball (although there's Kahn - yeah, that KAHN - behind the wheel).

Ideally, he would transfer to an Euroleague team, but there's big money and a good project to consolidate a big basketball team in Paris, so he'll probably stay there for another 1-2 years to earn some recognition and to develop in a very physical league, not as good as Euroleague or ACB, but way better than G-League or NCAA.

Yam should go back to Europe but he'd better transfer to an Euroleague or even Eurocup good team, and flee from that terrible Hapoel Tel Aviv team that was at the verge of relegation. The kid needs a well-coached team where he learns to play team ball, and he'd make great strides if he got the chance. Alba Berlin with Coach Aito García Reneses would be ideal for Yam to learn in the second best competition. He needs one more year in Europe(or two, if needed) to have the chance to sign a regular rookie contract with the Celtics.

Talking about Yabusele, the kid's game might not be suited for the NBA, or maybe he needed to mature, just like Gerald Green. Last season he impacted the Euroleague with Asvel, and that has taken him to Real Madrid to get Garuba's roster spot, and he agreed to a one-year deal because he wants to go back to NBA. I wouldn't want him on the Celtics, but he might get a contract somewhere if he keeps improving under Coach Laso

Return to Boston Celtics