Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Re: Jalen Green - next elite prospect 

Post#241 » by Marcus » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:35 pm

Big J wrote:
Yuri Vaultin wrote:
Big J wrote:If he’s Filipino the speed makes a ton of sense.

Do all Filipinos have a quickness gene I'm unfamilar with?

Yes.

I feel like the referee in the movie "Semi-Pro" when he first saw an alley-oop
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#242 » by Marcus » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:38 pm

ThatBoyNick wrote:Him getting hype from the Filipino community when his great grandfather was only partially Filipino is pretty funny.

He’s like 6% Filipino lol

Helps with the marketing though lol. To get a whole community's backing that way yields to good revenue if he is who most think he is on the court.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,423

Post#243 » by ThatBoyNick » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:42 pm

Marcus wrote:
ThatBoyNick wrote:Him getting hype from the Filipino community when his great grandfather was only partially Filipino is pretty funny.

Helps with the marketing though lol. To get a whole community's backing that way yields to good revenue if he is who most think he is on the court.

For sure, a country of 100 million that loves basketball will finally have someone cheer for that isn’t Andre Blatche
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#244 » by Marcus » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:49 pm

ThatBoyNick wrote:
Marcus wrote:

For sure, a country of 100 million that loves basketball will finally have someone cheer for that isn’t Andre Blatche

Thought Clarkson was getting love
Watch More Basketball

reamily
Senior
And1: 87

Post#245 » by reamily » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:28 am

Clarkson is getting the love especially when he played for us in Asian Games. It was almost a rag tag team as the us team had sent in tokyo but with no shot blocker big. Almost defeated China the eventual Gold Medalist that time.
VeritasTri
Sophomore
And1: 91

Post#246 » by VeritasTri » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:03 pm

Coby White -20 lbs +6" of vertical.
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach

Post#247 » by ThatBoyNick » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:41 pm

VeritasTri wrote:Coby White -20 lbs +6" of vertical.

Ouch
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,033
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#248 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:39 am

Jalen Green has absolutely elite athletic tools to guard the 1-2. Athleticism and size will not be the determining factor.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#249 » by Marcus » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:30 am

Out for the rest of summer league. He's shown more than enough. Heal the hammy. Send him to Ben Patrick to get some Nordic curls in and have him ready for opening night.
Watch More Basketball

VeritasTri
Sophomore

Post#250 » by VeritasTri » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:10 am

ThatBoyNick wrote:

Ouch

Not trying to be mean. :lol:

I change my comp to Monta Ellis. I think Green will have a career/impact similar in style and effectiveness to Monta Ellis. Hopefully no minibike injuries.
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach

Post#251 » by ThatBoyNick » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:38 am

VeritasTri wrote:
ThatBoyNick wrote:

Ouch

I change my comp to Monta Ellis. I think Green will have a career/impact similar in style and effectiveness to Monta Ellis. Hopefully no minibike injuries.

That’s not better, lol

Why do you expect him to be inefficient?
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#252 » by jman3134 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:10 am

Awful, awful comp.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,480

Post#253 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:46 am

Marcus wrote:Out for the rest of summer league. He's shown more than enough. Heal the hammy. Send him to Ben Patrick to get some Nordic curls in and have him ready for opening night.

You get the And'1 for the Knees Over Toes guy reference.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#254 » by Marcus » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:32 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:Out for the rest of summer league. He's shown more than enough. Heal the hammy. Send him to Ben Patrick to get some Nordic curls in and have him ready for opening night.

You get the And'1 for the Knees Over Toes guy reference.

That man is a saint. He's one notable basketball player
on his program away from blowing up.

Also, another reason we'd be real life friends sir. You just get it. Lol
Watch More Basketball

VeritasTri
Sophomore

Post#255 » by VeritasTri » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:30 pm

ThatBoyNick wrote:
VeritasTri wrote:
ThatBoyNick wrote:
Ouch

That’s not better, lol

Lou Williams looks anorexic and is 6'1" 175. Green is like 6'5" 175 with an average wingspan. Even with great athleticism I see him having troubles dealing with grown men and getting to the rim and finishing.

His G-league stats were also underwhelming to me for a top flight prospect. Theres plenty of fringe guys who have put up better numbers as first year G-league guys. He was like 20th in scoring in the G league behind late 1st round type guys like Nico Mannion and Jordan Poole. Ive watched a 2nd rounder like Jaylen Nowell put up 21/5/3 on great shooting in the G league, its an obviously inferior league. The lack of domination at that level, the inability to get to the line, the mediocre efficiency etc. I am focusing on scoring but what else does Green do well? I have serious doubts about his ability to defend as well.

So I dont get how Monta Ellis is not better. He scored over 20PPG on mediocre efficiency in the NBA 5 times, twice over 24. Im not saying their games mirror each other, but I think the results will be similar. I dont think he has realistic star potential, I think he has bulk scorer on average to below average efficiency potential. Maybe poor mans zach lavine, but I doubt he touches the efficiency and shooting Lavine is at. Hell even scrawny Lavine has 25lbs on him.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,923

Post#256 » by K_chile22 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:20 pm

VeritasTri wrote:
ThatBoyNick wrote:
VeritasTri wrote:

That’s not better, lol

Lou Williams looks anorexic and is 6'1" 175. Green is like 6'5" 175 with an average wingspan. Even with great athleticism I see him having troubles dealing with grown men and getting to the rim and finishing.

His G-league stats were also underwhelming to me for a top flight prospect. Theres plenty of fringe guys who have put up better numbers as first year G-league guys. He was like 20th in scoring in the G league behind late 1st round type guys like Nico Mannion and Jordan Poole. Ive watched a 2nd rounder like Jaylen Nowell put up 21/5/3 on great shooting in the G league, its an obviously inferior league. The lack of domination at that level, the inability to get to the line, the mediocre efficiency etc. I am focusing on scoring but what else does Green do well? I have serious doubts about his ability to defend as well.

So I dont get how Monta Ellis is not better. He scored over 20PPG on mediocre efficiency in the NBA 5 times, twice over 24. Im not saying their games mirror each other, but I think the results will be similar. I dont think he has realistic star potential, I think he has bulk scorer on average to below average efficiency potential. Maybe poor mans zach lavine, but I doubt he touches the efficiency and shooting Lavine is at. Hell even scrawny Lavine has 25lbs on him.

Nowell did that at 21 with several college seasons under his belt, not 18 straight out of HS.

Poole and Mannion's g league numbers aren't comparable at all when you look at efficiency. Over Poole's two g league seasons, again, aged 20 and 21, he put up a paltry 51% TS. Manion was 19 but just 53%TS. Green put up 20 points per 36 on 61%TS at 18 straight out of HS. He shot better from the nba 3 point line than LaVine did until LaVine's age 20 season.

Also the G League ignite had pretty awful spacing, he mostly played next to Jarrett Jack or Bobby Brown, two non shooting bigs and Kuminga. Of guys who took at least 25 3s only he and Todd hit over 36%. Warriors G League team had 6 such guys last year, which helps guys like Mannion a ton. Wolves two seasons ago had 8.

This feels like box score scouting with no regards for context or seeing the guy play to be totally honest
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#257 » by Marcus » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:32 pm

#BasketballOverBoxScores
Watch More Basketball

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#258 » by Stillwater » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:35 pm

is the soft label going to be a thing now?
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#259 » by Marcus » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:38 pm

Stillwater wrote:is the soft label going to be a thing now?

i hope not. kid definitely doesn't play scared out there. you'd think he was Bron's size the way he throws his body around at the cup.
Watch More Basketball

ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach

Post#260 » by ThatBoyNick » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:26 pm

I think a 4 inch taller, more explosive Lou Will would be a hell of a player

But aren’t we supposed to wait 4-5 years for 19 year olds to put on muscle? Lou is his size as a grown man, Green still has the potential for adding weight. Most players look very different at 25 then 19 or 20

Personally I think Zach LaVine is as close to a slam dunk comparison as we could find. Very similar body types coming into the league, very similar games

Return to NBA Draft