ImageImageImage

Where does our roster rank in the Eastern Conference?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Which Eastern Conference Rosters are worse than the Celtics?

Washington Wizards
12%
Charlotte Hornets
11%
Cleveland Cavaliers
13%
Detroit Pistons
13%
Chicago Bulls
7%
Orlando Magic
13%
New York Knicks
7%
Indiana Pacers
10%
Toronto Raptors
11%
Atlanta Hawks
3%

Total votes: 797

jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,983

Re: Where does our roster rank in the Eastern Conference? 

Post#41 » by jfs1000d » Sun Aug 8, 2021 4:24 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:They were worse than NY and Miami who got better. Nets and Bucks are def better, and even with their issues Philly is better and so is Atlanta. So 7th I’m guessing, same as last year unless they improve their chemistry.

They arent worst than NY than
Miami.

Health matters. Knicks have a better team than last year and won’t have a better record. Miami old as dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,491

Post#42 » by playa-hater » Sun Aug 8, 2021 4:26 pm

there are way too many teams almost exactly the same to list them all. a few elite teams, a few horror teams and about 8 near the middle IMO.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#43 » by cl2117 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 4:41 pm

I think there are 5 tiers to the East and we're in the 3rd tier.

Tier 1 (contenders):
Nets
Bucks

Nets and Bucks are clearly ahead of the rest. Milwaukee got better and still have Giannis. Nets didn't get worse and have another run at being healthy.

Tier 2 (playoff locks):
Sixers
Hawks
Heat

Sixers should have an asterisk because if they move Ben Simmons then it depends on what comes back, but their current roster is still playoff lock even if they have an achilles heal of sorts. Hawks showed they are legit and Trae specifically emerged. Heat with Lowry/ Butler/Bam and the rest also seem like a lock.

Tier 2 (playoff/play in locks):
Knicks
Celtics
Bulls

Maybe it's just bias because of the franchise's reputation, but I just don't believe fully in the Knicks. Feels unfair to keep them in this tier after last season and adding good pieces this offseason, but I'm just not sold. Think there is some regression there. Bulls were disappointing after the Vucevic deal, but adding Lonzo and Demar make them dangerous even if they have a ceiling.

C's fit into this tier. I've liked our offseason because there seems to be a clear direction both from a roster construction point of view and a cap/future perspective. That being said I don't know how much better we are than last year. Certainly a play-in tournament team, but not sure we're guaranteed of anything more than that.

Tier 3 (play in teams):
Hornets
Pacers

Hornets could vault up into the next tier, but I'm actually expecting some regression for them as well. Can't trust Gordo's health and they lost Graham. They're a fun team to watch, but still years away. Pacers are solid, but nothing special. Type of team that'll steal games from you when your focus slips, but not overly good.

Tier 4 (tanking/lottery):
Cavs
Wizards
Raptors
Magic
Pistons

Cavs are interesting, but I don't think they have any real cornerstones. Wizards with just Beal and pieces are lottery bound. Raps have gone rebuild after dealing Lowry. Magic/Pistons both still at the start of their own rebuilds.

With continued development from our young guys C's could jump up a tier or two easily. Same goes for a big in-season trade (aka Beal). If neither happen we'll still have our chance at a playoff run, but likely as a play-in team or on the road.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,681

Post#44 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Sun Aug 8, 2021 7:18 pm

They're punting this year in hopes of getting Beal next year so I think they're going to be pretty mediocre. Right now I have them as an eight seed but I can see them finishing anywhere from 7th to 10th.

Nets
Bucks
Sixers
Heat
Knicks
Hawks
Bulls
Celtics.
*Insert witty signature here.*
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,907

Post#45 » by SuperDeluxe » Sun Aug 8, 2021 7:23 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:They're punting this year in hopes of getting Beal next year so I think they're going to be pretty mediocre.

..but will have a better record than the idiotic 2020-21 Celtics somehow.

From my humble point of view, this thread makes no sense until all the rosters are set.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,983

Post#46 » by jfs1000d » Sun Aug 8, 2021 7:36 pm

cl2117 wrote:I think there are 5 tiers to the East and we're in the 3rd tier.

Tier 1 (contenders):
Nets
Bucks

Nets and Bucks are clearly ahead of the rest. Milwaukee got better and still have Giannis. Nets didn't get worse and have another run at being healthy.

Tier 2 (playoff locks):
Sixers
Hawks
Heat

Sixers should have an asterisk because if they move Ben Simmons then it depends on what comes back, but their current roster is still playoff lock even if they have an achilles heal of sorts. Hawks showed they are legit and Trae specifically emerged. Heat with Lowry/ Butler/Bam and the rest also seem like a lock.

Knicks
Celtics
Bulls

Maybe it's just bias because of the franchise's reputation, but I just don't believe fully in the Knicks. Feels unfair to keep them in this tier after last season and adding good pieces this offseason, but I'm just not sold. Think there is some regression there. Bulls were disappointing after the Vucevic deal, but adding Lonzo and Demar make them dangerous even if they have a ceiling.

C's fit into this tier. I've liked our offseason because there seems to be a clear direction both from a roster construction point of view and a cap/future perspective. That being said I don't know how much better we are than last year. Certainly a play-in tournament team, but not sure we're guaranteed of anything more than that.

Tier 3 (play in teams):
Hornets
Pacers

Hornets could vault up into the next tier, but I'm actually expecting some regression for them as well. Can't trust Gordo's health and they lost Graham. They're a fun team to watch, but still years away. Pacers are solid, but nothing special. Type of team that'll steal games from you when your focus slips, but not overly good.

Cavs
Wizards
Raptors
Magic
Pistons

Cavs are interesting, but I don't think they have any real cornerstones. Wizards with just Beal and pieces are lottery bound. Raps have gone rebuild after dealing Lowry. Magic/Pistons both still at the start of their own rebuilds.

With continued development from our young guys C's could jump up a tier or two easily. Same goes for a big in-season trade (aka Beal). If neither happen we'll still have our chance at a playoff run, but likely as a play-in team or on the road.

Nah. Decency bias.

Nets Bucks are the best and Philly probably third.

After that? Celts, Hawks, Miami 4,5,6.

Knicks and Bulls probably make 7 and 8. Issue is health. Celtics abs Miami had health issues last year. Allowed Hawks and Knicks to climb over.

I like Hawks though.

The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,681

Post#47 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Sun Aug 8, 2021 7:51 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:They're punting this year in hopes of getting Beal next year so I think they're going to be pretty mediocre.

From my humble point of view, this thread makes no sense until all the rosters are set.

They should be more fun to watch than this year. Obviously the rosters aren't set yet but Brooklyn Milwaukee and Philadelphia at the top three teams. Atlanta is a solid team and New York, Miami and Chicago have made moves to improve their roster.

Celtics made moves as well but I don't think it was necessarily to improve the roster but more geared towards staying under the luxury tax trying to clear cap space for next season.

It's not a bad idea to go that route but it may not lead to a very successful season.
*Insert witty signature here.*
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#48 » by BostonCouchGM » Sun Aug 8, 2021 11:50 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:

95% of the moves have been made and rosters are almost universally set. But if there are major moves you can alter votes or revisit the thread as stated in OP

"If there's more trades or moves happen to change your mind you can alter your votes."
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,490

Post#49 » by Patsfan1081 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 1:01 am

jfs1000d wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:They were worse than NY and Miami who got better. Nets and Bucks are def better, and even with their issues Philly is better and so is Atlanta. So 7th I’m guessing, same as last year unless they improve their chemistry.

They arent worst than NY than
Miami.

Health matters. Knicks have a better team than last year and won’t have a better record. Miami old as dirt.

I don’t care if Lowry is 35 he’s still really effective and would have been perfect for us. Butler is in his prime, Bam and Hero are young, they’re a better team. I don’t see the argument. Knicks were better last season and added our backcourt. Is it a guarantee they’ll be better? No, but they’re adding while we’re subtracting. It seems like wishful thinking to say this team will finish 4-6, we will need to see a lot better chemistry and jumps from at least a few players….
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,490

Post#50 » by Patsfan1081 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 1:07 am

jfs1000d wrote:
cl2117 wrote:I think there are 5 tiers to the East and we're in the 3rd tier.

Tier 1 (contenders):
Nets
Bucks

Tier 2 (playoff locks):
Sixers
Hawks
Heat

Knicks
Celtics
Bulls

Tier 3 (play in teams):
Hornets
Pacers

Cavs
Wizards
Raptors
Magic
Pistons

Nah. Decency bias.

Nets Bucks are the best and Philly probably third.

After that? Celts, Hawks, Miami 4,5,6.

Knicks and Bulls probably make 7 and 8. Issue is health. Celtics abs Miami had health issues last year. Allowed Hawks and Knicks to climb over.

I like Hawks though.

I don’t get the health excuse. The guys that missed the most games won’t even be here this season. The Jays for the most part played most the season, Smart missed the usually Smart time. Outside of them most of the team are young guys. How are they better than the Hawks, Miami, NY, Chicago?
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#51 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Aug 9, 2021 1:09 am

46-36, 5/6 seed. If they get Schroder, maybe 48-49 wins.

If Tatum goes nuclear, 50 wins is doable. He’s a pretty damn high floor raiser, but need him to go bananas.
Triple M
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#52 » by Triple M » Mon Aug 9, 2021 2:12 am

I think we are in the 3rd tier but if Tatum assends into the NBA's top 10 then we could be a solid 2nd teir team. The pg position is what concerns me because I don't see a facilitator that can direct the pace and avoid the droughts that became common the last few seasons.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,402

Post#53 » by Triple7 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 4:36 am

Triple M wrote:I think we are in the 3rd tier but if Tatum assends into the NBA's top 10 then we could be a solid 2nd teir team. The pg position is what concerns me because I don't see a facilitator that can direct the pace and avoid the droughts that became common the last few seasons.

PG and shooting. I hoped we could have loaded up on dead set shooters, instead we got worse. Our best bet to beat bigger teams is we have enough shooters out there. Now we have Smart and Richardson chucking 3’s lol.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#54 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:51 am

Kalela wrote:I don't want to come across as being negative but this year's team is actually worse than the one from last year. And yes I realize Brad is probably not done yet but so far this current teams sucks. Teams worse than the Celtics? I would say the Magic, Wizards, Cavaliers and maybe the Wizards and Pistons. Pacers are at around the same level as the Celtics.

We were snake bitten — missed more games due to COVID than any other team, and Kemba was constantly in and out, making it difficult for the team to gel.

Keep in mind also that because we are so young, our players are likely to be better on an individual basis. The Js have consistently improved. There’s plenty of reason to be optimistic that Time Lord, Nesmith, Romeo and Pritch will be better this year.

So I think comparing last year’s roster to this one’s on paper is not a worthwhile exercise.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,140

Post#55 » by Hal14 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:57 am

As of today I'd say:

1) Nets
2) Bucks
3) Sixers
4) Heat
5) Hawks
6) Knicks
7) Celtics
8) Bulls
9) Hornets
10) Wizards
11) Pacers
12) Raptors

With that being said, we have some wild cards. Time Lord's health, how much of a leap langford/pritchard/nesmith make, Dunn is a wild card - he either gets traded, is a useless end of the bench guy or all of a sudden is a beast who shows why he was a top 5 pick in the draft.

If enough things break our way I can see us moving into the 5 seed, maybe even 4.. and if the Simmons situation in Philly turns out ugly, maybe even the 3 seed..

it should be a really competitive conference though..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,377

Post#56 » by robbie84 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:26 pm

People don't seem to understand how much better defensively Brad is making this team.
Having a line up of Smart, Richardson, Brown, Tatum, Horford is going to be so much better than anything we had last year. Even having Schroeder out there instead of Kemba on D is an upgrade.
We got significantly better by removing Kemba. I loved Kemba, but he just wasn't the same player after the injuries piled up.
Kemba's defensive liability was brutal- he also took shots away from the Jays.
Horford's passing is going to be so good for our offense and his spacing on the perimeter will be like Theis with better 3 point shooting.
Our defense is going to be excellent.
We got WAY better, but the rest of the East got better too.
So I'd have us somewhere between #3 and #6.

Side note: remember the Jays are still years away from their primes and improving. Last year was only Jaylen's first season as an All Star.
Tatum was recovering from COVID, as was Smart and Rob W.
Nesmith and Pritchard have a summer under their belts too and should be ready to contribute to winning with their shooting.

I'm super excited about this season. We are oozing with young talent and some veteran guys like J Rich and Horford are awesome pieces to swap out for Kemba and Fournier.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#57 » by Temuhjan » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:30 pm

Tier 1a: Nets, Bucks and Heat
Tier 1b: Celtics and Hawks
Tier 2: Knicks, Bulls and Sixers
Higgs Boston
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,625

Post#58 » by Higgs Boston » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:51 pm

Bucks, Nets
Heat, Hawks, Celtics, Sixers
Knicks, Bulls, Hornets
The rest
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,878

Post#59 » by Celts17Pride » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:19 pm

Celtics are a solid 4-6 Seed in the East barring any significant injuries.
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#60 » by Edug27 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:28 pm

Temuhjan wrote:Tier 1a: Nets, Bucks and Heat
Tier 1b: Celtics and Hawks
Tier 2: Knicks, Bulls and Sixers

If Simmons works things out there and returns, I’d put Philly higher. Simply because Embiid is a monster.

Return to Boston Celtics